PDA

View Full Version : Does Weather Hurt SD Punter?

flippy
01-10-2009, 10:36 AM
discuss

proudpittsburgher
01-10-2009, 10:54 AM
Opposing punters have been killing us for field position all season long. Pittsburgh tends to be very patient and willing to play the field position game, and a couple of teams (Phily, Baltimore) have absolutely had our number this year. I think we are going to get another solid effort out of San Diego's punter.

RuthlessBurgher
01-10-2009, 01:05 PM
I don't think the punter will really be affected by the Pittsburgh weather. But I think it certainly can affect their kicker, Nate Kaeding. Kaeding strained his groin on a kickoff in the game against Indy last week. Then, in practice on Wednesday of this week, he sprained his ankle. He missed practice on Thursday and Friday. If he still trying to work through a groin and and ankle issue by gametime tomorrow, the cold temps will not help him at all. Not to mention that Heinz Field is not kind to healthy kickers on warm sunny days, never mind hurt kickers on a cold crappy days. The advantage that we will have with Reed over Kaeding can nullify the advantage they have with Scifres over Berger. Keep an eye out to see if they try to sign a backup kicker today. If not, punter Scifres would be their kicker if Kaeding can't go if the cold tightens up his groin or ankle.

stlrz d
01-10-2009, 01:09 PM
If it hurts their punter then I think it mortally wounds ours. :(

SteelBucks
01-10-2009, 02:44 PM
If it hurts their punter then I think it mortally wounds ours. :(

I was thinking the same thing. Might as well go for it on 4th! :wink:

JAR
01-10-2009, 03:30 PM
His average punt at Heinz the last game was 43.5 yards. Not nearly as good as in good weather.

rpmpit
01-10-2009, 04:22 PM
No, James Harrison hurts SD punter :twisted:

flippy
01-11-2009, 08:08 AM
I was thinking it's harder to punt in cold weather. The ball is heavier and doesn't carry as far.

So a 70 yarder on a nice warm day could be a 45 yarder on a cold day.

stlrz d
01-11-2009, 10:34 AM
I was thinking it's harder to punt in cold weather. The ball is heavier and doesn't carry as far.

So a 70 yarder on a nice warm day could be a 45 yarder on a cold day.

I hate to think what that does for a 40 yarder then.

flippy
01-12-2009, 04:11 AM
We outpunted SD.

Hats off to Berger.

Djfan
01-12-2009, 04:47 AM
Wasn't Ben our leading punter? Maybe our leading lefty punter?

Discipline of Steel
01-12-2009, 09:18 AM
I dont think the cold weather affected him but Stonio sure did!

skyhawk
01-12-2009, 07:02 PM
I dont think the cold weather affected him but Stonio sure did!

Scifres finally outdid himself on that play. It was such a booming kick with not enough hang time he totally out kicked his coverage team. That's why Holmes had such a huge lane and took it to the house.