PDA

View Full Version : Big Ben Switches Helmets for the Chargers Game

Sugar
01-07-2009, 10:02 PM
From NFL.com

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d ... nfirm=true (http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80df25c3&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true)

PITTSBURGH -- Ben Roethlisberger is dealing with a swollen head, an issue that has troubled many NFL quarterbacks. Only this time, it's not the result of too many commercial endorsements, a big contract or too much fan praise.

When the Steelers quarterback resumed practicing this week, he realized his helmet didn't fit right. He sustained a concussion Dec. 28 against Cleveland, and spent last week getting over headaches associated with the hit.

"I had a little headache after putting the helmet on because it was so tight," Roethlisberger said Wednesday. "But we'll deal with it and move on."

Roethlisberger was listed as participating in a full practice session on Pittsburgh's injury report on Wednesday. He sat out the second half of the Cleveland game after the injury, but is expected to return Sunday for the Steelers' AFC divisional game against San Diego.

After suffering a concussion during the 2006 season, Roethlisberger declined to switch to a newer style of helmet designed to better protect against concussions. He apparently has not switched helmets this time, either, preferring to stay with the model he has traditionally worn.

Roethlisberger has had three concussions in three years, one in the June 2006 motorcycle accident in which he was seriously injured while not wearing a helmet. He has not been spotted riding a motorcycle in public since.

Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press

Jom112
01-07-2009, 10:11 PM
I'm no doctor. But a swollen head can't be good...

Flasteel
01-07-2009, 10:16 PM
Okay, first it states that he has a swollen head (????) and that his helmet didn't fit quite right. Roethlisberger was only quoted as saying he'd deal with it. The article goes on to state that he did not switch to a different model of helmet and it never mentions him changing his pads or anything.

So Sugar the questions begs...where does it state that Ben switched helmets for this game?

Why is his friggin' melon swollen? There was enough impact to obviosly rattle around his gray matter a little, but to actually cause external swelling of his head? Wow.

Jooser
01-07-2009, 10:19 PM
I was just posting this Sugar, ya beat me to it. I'm not sure what to think about his noggin' still being swollen, I'm sure no medical expert :wink: . My wife, however is a charge nurse in a neuro ICU department. She says that it 'probably' means he's got some sort of edema outside of the skull from the trauma of the hit. Also, it doesn't mead his brain is swollen because your skull can't expand to allow it room, which ultimately means surgical intervention to keep the brain from herniating in the worst case scenario. So, I guess what's she trying to say is that BB probably still has a sizeable 'popnot' on his head and the helmet is uncomfortable. I still think he should switch to the new helmet style IMHO.....

Chachi
01-07-2009, 10:20 PM
The title of the thread....

Big Ben Switches Helmets for the Chargers Game

The article states....

He apparently has not switched helmets this time, either, preferring to stay with the model he has traditionally worn.

What am I missing here? :?

Jooser
01-07-2009, 10:21 PM
Okay, first it states that he has a swollen head (????) and that his helmet didn't fit quite right. Roethlisberger was only quoted as saying he'd deal with it. The article goes on to state that he did not switch to a different model of helmet and it never mentions him changing his pads or anything.

So Sugar the questions begs...where does it state that Ben switched helmets for this game?

Why is his friggin' melon swollen? There was enough impact to obviosly rattle around his gray matter a little, but to actually cause external swelling of his head? Wow.

The article body itself didn't say that he switched, but he title of the article says that he did.

'Steelers' Roethlisberger switches helmets for Chargers matchup'

Sugar
01-07-2009, 10:22 PM
I'm not sure about where it states the helmets would be changed, that's just the headline from NFL.com

Jooser
01-07-2009, 10:22 PM
I kinda took it to mean he switched to a bigger helmet, not the new model...

Flasteel
01-07-2009, 10:29 PM
I'm not sure about where it states the helmets would be changed, that's just the headline from NFL.com

My bad brother. I didn't click on the link and just thought you came up with the title.

Jom112
01-07-2009, 10:29 PM

That's the way I read it. He'll get a bigger size but won't change to the model made to reduce concussions. Which I really don't understand.

I get some QB's don't want to wear a glove on the throwing hand or don't want to wear a vizor on the helmet (Carson had to adjust after the broken nose). But is the new style of helmet more uncomfortable or something?

I've worn the regular kind when I used to play and they weren't all that comfortable (Granted that was high school). I can't imagine a helmet being any more uncomfortable than that...

JAR
01-07-2009, 10:31 PM
ben tried the Revolution helmet after his bike accident, but didn't like it.

"The Revolution" has been rejected by Big Ben.

After further review, Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger won't be experimenting with the Riddell Revolution helmet, as he had initially intended in training camp.

Instead, he'll be sticking with his standard Riddell VSR 4.

"We tried it on, and we didn't like it," Roethlisberger said of the Revolution. "You have to look almost through the face mask.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 64525.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_464525.html)

Flasteel
01-07-2009, 10:40 PM

Yeah, but he wouldn't get a bigger helmet would he? You think he'd just let some air out of the lining or get smaller pads to stick in his own helmet.

Whatever. A swollen head just sunds kooky.

AkronSteel
01-07-2009, 10:45 PM
I don't like this at all! I am starting to get a bad feeling about BB for Sunday! I just don't wanna see bad Ben show up on the most important Sunday of the year!! :cry:

stlrz d
01-07-2009, 10:46 PM

My bad brother. I didn't click on the link and just thought you came up with the title.

I think Sugar is a sister. :D Maybe even a sista. But I'm pretty sure not a brother or a brotha. :P

mshifko
01-07-2009, 11:00 PM
that title is totally misleading

Flasteel
01-07-2009, 11:02 PM

I think Sugar is a sister. :D Maybe even a sista. But I'm pretty sure not a brother or a brotha. :P

Damn! A double bad. I should be more careful how I throw that around. Thanks D...sorry Sugar.

stlrz d
01-07-2009, 11:03 PM

Damn! A double bad. I should be more careful how I throw that around. Thanks D...sorry Sugar.

No worries...now go vote for Tomlin in the meaningless fan vote because it's for fun dammit!

Steeler Shades
01-08-2009, 02:06 AM
I don't like this at all! I am starting to get a bad feeling about BB for Sunday! I just don't wanna see bad Ben show up on the most important Sunday of the year!! :cry:
You don't think that the Docs, coaches and Big Ben himself would play if he wasn't 100% ready.....do you? 8)

Chachi
01-08-2009, 09:03 AM
http://i39.tinypic.com/295e00n.jpg

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-08-2009, 09:34 AM
From NFL.com

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d ... nfirm=true (http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80df25c3&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true)

PITTSBURGH -- Ben Roethlisberger is dealing with a swollen head, an issue that has troubled many NFL quarterbacks. Only this time, it's not the result of too many commercial endorsements, a big contract or too much fan praise.
When the Steelers quarterback resumed practicing this week, he realized his helmet didn't fit right. He sustained a concussion Dec. 28 against Cleveland, and spent last week getting over headaches associated with the hit.

"I had a little headache after putting the helmet on because it was so tight," Roethlisberger said Wednesday. "But we'll deal with it and move on."

Roethlisberger was listed as participating in a full practice session on Pittsburgh's injury report on Wednesday. He sat out the second half of the Cleveland game after the injury, but is expected to return Sunday for the Steelers' AFC divisional game against San Diego.

After suffering a concussion during the 2006 season, Roethlisberger declined to switch to a newer style of helmet designed to better protect against concussions. He apparently has not switched helmets this time, either, preferring to stay with the model he has traditionally worn.

Roethlisberger has had three concussions in three years, one in the June 2006 motorcycle accident in which he was seriously injured while not wearing a helmet. He has not been spotted riding a motorcycle in public since.

Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press

I think you guys are reading to much into it. A concussion is a "bruising" of the brain. Brain...Bruise...Swelling! The whole paragraph is just in fun. His head isn't swollen and there is no visible injuries on the outside of his head that is making his helmet tight! He tried a new helmet (Smaller, Ridell) in practice and it gave him a headache. The story is misleading but i think it is just saying he didn't switch to next generation(Revolution)...He still has a Ridell.

Oviedo
01-08-2009, 10:26 AM
Ben not switching to the new helmets is just further evidence about how hard headed he is :wink:

Seriously, if the new helmets offer protection why would someone with at least three serious concussions not use it. I really question some of Ben's decision making. He just seems at times to do the opposite of what makes sense just to prove he can.

Jom112
01-08-2009, 10:42 AM
You don't think that the Docs, coaches and Big Ben himself would play if he wasn't 100% ready.....do you? 8)

The 2006 season says otherwise... :stirpot

NC Steeler Fan
01-08-2009, 11:08 AM
Cripes, this sounds eerily like when Earnhardt refused to
wear that HANS device to protect NASCAR drivers from
severe head injury...and look what happened to him...

C'mon Ben. Most women like dudes with looks AND common sense...

stlrz d
01-08-2009, 11:12 AM
Ben not switching to the new helmets is just further evidence about how hard headed he is :wink:

Seriously, if the new helmets offer protection why would someone with at least three serious concussions not use it. I really question some of Ben's decision making. He just seems at times to do the opposite of what makes sense just to prove he can.

He said on the new style helmets the facemasks impede his vision. On the one he has now there is a larger opening to see through. He said on the new style you have to look "through" the facemask. It sounds funny, but anyone who's worn a football helmet should know what that means.

What I don't understand is why they can't come up with a different facemask for him so he can make the switch.

Heck, back in '98 they found a way to make Terry Bradshaw's old facemask fit on Trent Dilfer's helmet! :lol:

Steeler Shades
01-08-2009, 01:45 PM
I don't like this at all! I am starting to get a bad feeling about BB for Sunday! I just don't wanna see bad Ben show up on the most important Sunday of the year!! :cry:You don't think that the Docs, coaches and Big Ben himself would play if he wasn't 100% ready.....do you? 8)The 2006 season says otherwise... :stirpot
I thought that was all Cowher's fault? :stirpot
8)

Sugar
01-08-2009, 01:46 PM

I'm def a brother. No doubt about it. I don't sweat the confusion though it could be worse, I have a buddy who's nickname is Cookie!

Think Sugar Ray Robinson and you'll have a better idea of how the name came about.

stlrz d
01-08-2009, 01:52 PM

I'm def a brother. No doubt about it. I don't sweat the confusion though it could be worse, I have a buddy who's nickname is Cookie!

Think Sugar Ray Robinson and you'll have a better idea of how the name came about.

Doh! :oops:

Please don't beat me up Mr. Sugar Sir. :(

Oviedo
01-08-2009, 01:56 PM

He said on the new style helmets the facemasks impede his vision. On the one he has now there is a larger opening to see through. He said on the new style you have to look "through" the facemask. It sounds funny, but anyone who's worn a football helmet should know what that means.

What I don't understand is why they can't come up with a different facemask for him so he can make the switch.

Heck, back in '98 they found a way to make Terry Bradshaw's old facemask fit on Trent Dilfer's helmet! :lol:

I'd like to see them design a face mask that impedes his ability to see beyond 20 yards so he is forced to take the quick, easy pass to open short receivers (and they are usually always open) versus trying to force a ball into traffic 30 yards down the field. :wink:

stlrz d
01-08-2009, 02:00 PM

I'd like to see them design a face mask that impedes his ability to see beyond 20 yards so he is forced to take the quick, easy pass to open short receivers (and they are usually always open) versus trying to force a ball into traffic 30 yards down the field. :wink:

I wouldn't. When the Steelers were winning Ben's YPA typically ranked in the top 5 in the league. ;) This season seems to be the anomaly because he doesn't have as much time to chuck it downfield.

Now if it could automatically shift his vision away from downfield when something short is more open than something deep then I'd be on board.

Steeler Shades
01-08-2009, 02:08 PM
When the Steelers were winning Ben's YPA typically ranked in the top 5 in the league...
We're not winning anymore or Ben isn't playing well this season? 8)

Oviedo
01-08-2009, 02:11 PM
[quote=Oviedo]Ben not switching to the new helmets is just further evidence about how hard headed he is :wink:

I wouldn't. When the Steelers were winning Ben's YPA typically ranked in the top 5 in the league. ;) This season seems to be the anomaly because he doesn't have as much time to chuck it downfield.

Now if it could automatically shift his vision away from downfield when something short is more open than something deep then I'd be on board.[/quote:1lzruozg]

How about we go high tech and install a heads up projected display which automatically blocks out Nate Washington since that is who he typically tries to force a ball to?

stlrz d
01-08-2009, 02:15 PM
[quote=Oviedo]Ben not switching to the new helmets is just further evidence about how hard headed he is :wink:

Now if it could automatically shift his vision away from downfield when something short is more open than something deep then I'd be on board.

How about we go high tech and install a heads up projected display which automatically blocks out Nate Washington since that is who he typically tries to force a ball to?[/quote:1mduztse]

Only if it can accurately forecast as to whether or not Nate will catch it! :P