PDA

View Full Version : The chip on Ben's shoulder

PlayForBlood
01-07-2009, 07:07 PM
He is still pissed about being the third QB drafted in 2004.

This quote shows why we win this Sunday:
"I still want to be the best and that means beating the guys in my draft class – Eli and Philip."

Woohoo

SidSmythe
01-07-2009, 07:09 PM
Nothing wrong with that. He's a competitor and all 3 QB's have turned out to be very good QB's. Gotta have something to keep you motivated.

NW Steeler
01-07-2009, 07:23 PM
Fox sports has him rated as the 6th best QB left in the playoffs. Whatever.

Steeler Shades
01-07-2009, 07:25 PM
Too bad he doesn't get a chance to play Fox Sports. 8)

NW Steeler
01-07-2009, 07:34 PM
[quote="NW Steeler":2zifvexw]Fox sports has him rated as the 6th best QB left in the playoffs. Whatever.
Too bad he doesn't get a chance to play Fox Sports. 8)[/quote:2zifvexw]

Good one. Nice sig, btw!

LasVegasGuy
01-07-2009, 07:46 PM

Whatever? Have you seen him play? How many multiple picks, multiple fumbles, multiple turnover games have you witnessed this year? He doesn't deserve number 6, he deserves number 8.

JAR
01-07-2009, 07:51 PM

Whatever? Have you seen him play? How many multiple picks, multiple fumbles, multiple turnover games have you witnessed this year? He doesn't deserve number 6, he deserves number 8.

Go milk yourself :D

LasVegasGuy
01-07-2009, 07:54 PM

Just stating the facts. He is a liabilty out there unlike the other 7 quarterbacks in the playoffs. If we lose it will be because of something Ben does. On the flip side if we win it will be because of something Ben does.

NW Steeler
01-07-2009, 08:02 PM
So you are saying that you would take any of those other 7 before you took Ben as your QB? Based on his play during the season, I see your point. I think that is how they were basing the ranking. If you were basing it on who you'd want leading your team, I can't see how YOU would rank him that low.

LasVegasGuy
01-07-2009, 08:11 PM
So you are saying that you would take any of those other 7 before you took Ben as your QB? Based on his play during the season, I see your point. I think that is how they were basing the ranking. If you were basing it on who you'd want leading your team, I can't see how YOU would rank him that low.

No. If I had a choice of quarterbacks I would certainly go with Ben. The problem with Ben these days is you don't know what you are going to get. Are you going to get the 2005 Ben or the 2008 Ben? It's a crap shoot.

Jooser
01-07-2009, 08:33 PM
http://img234.imageshack.us/img234/6830/docholidayhf0.png (http://imageshack.us)

"Why Phillip Rivers, you look like somebody just walked over your grave."

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/4487/randomkey84234file97405gq7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

"You tell 'em I'M coming... and hell's coming with me, you hear?...
Hell's coming with me!"

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/5007/08bal2tomlinlockerroom1kc6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after. It's a reckonin'."

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/7065/09000d5d80d4fecegalleryxg7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

"Fight's commenced! Get to fightin' or get away!"

feltdizz
01-07-2009, 10:43 PM

didn't you say something like the Steelers would lose the Dallas Rats and Titans game? I think it was you who said that... and there was no way we would be 12-4 and Tomlin would be exposed...

was that you? if not my bad....

AkronSteel
01-07-2009, 10:49 PM

Just stating the facts. He is a liabilty out there unlike the other 7 quarterbacks in the playoffs. If we lose it will be because of something Ben does. On the flip side if we win it will be because of something Ben does.

I do agree with you in the fact that we will win because of Ben or lose because of Ben! If he plays mistake free football.....no one will beat the Steelers in the next month!

:2c

LasVegasGuy
01-08-2009, 01:02 AM

didn't you say something like the Steelers would lose the Dallas Rats and Titans game? I think it was you who said that... and there was no way we would be 12-4 and Tomlin would be exposed...

was that you? if not my bad....

Hey 1 for 1 not bad.

kennyes
01-08-2009, 01:46 AM
http://img234.imageshack.us/img234/6830/docholidayhf0.png (http://imageshack.us)

"Why Phillip Rivers, you look like somebody just walked over your grave."

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/4487/randomkey84234file97405gq7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

"You tell 'em I'M coming... and hell's coming with me, you hear?...
Hell's coming with me!"

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/5007/08bal2tomlinlockerroom1kc6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after. It's a reckonin'."

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/7065/09000d5d80d4fecegalleryxg7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

"Fight's commenced! Get to fightin' or get away!"

Another good one for the Harrison pic " I'll be your huckleberry!"

:tt2

Steeler Shades
01-08-2009, 01:52 AM
Fox sports has him rated as the 6th best QB left in the playoffs. Whatever.Whatever? Have you seen him play? How many multiple picks, multiple fumbles, multiple turnover games have you witnessed this year? He doesn't deserve number 6, he deserves number 8.didn't you say something like the Steelers would lose the Dallas Rats and Titans game? I think it was you who said that... and there was no way we would be 12-4 and Tomlin would be exposed...
I think I'm missing the point of your post. What does the accuracy of LasVegasGuy's predictions of the Cowboys and Titans game have to do with his opinion of Ben? 8)

Jooser
01-08-2009, 01:55 AM
http://img234.imageshack.us/img234/7710/myronmi5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

"All right, Ratards... you called down the thunder, well now you've got it! You see that?"

"It says Pittsburgh Steelers!"

frankthetank1
01-08-2009, 11:12 AM

No. If I had a choice of quarterbacks I would certainly go with Ben. The problem with Ben these days is you don't know what you are going to get. Are you going to get the 2005 Ben or the 2008 Ben? It's a crap shoot.

ben is having a bad year. eli and rivers both have had bad seasons. besides this year though ben has been excellent and is the only qb remaining in the playoffs besides eli that has a ring, so saying he is the 6th best qb in the playoffs is a joke. you make that opinion from a players career in whole, not just this season.

Oviedo
01-08-2009, 11:33 AM
Let's face it guys, it is really all about Ben. He is the wildcard in every game for us. The defense we all know is steady as a rock but Ben can be steady as a rocking chair sometimes. You know what you are getting from Hines and Holmes. You know what you get from FWP, Moore, etc. You know what you get from Miller and Spaeth. What you never know is what Ben is showing up. You can still be a fan and acknowledge that.

Ben is the Steelers equivalent of Brett Favre. We all now know what the Packers experienced for years. When he is "Good Ben" he is very, very good but when he is "Bad Ben" he is typically very, very bad. This is just something we have to get use to until Ben matures to the point that he takes what a defense gives him versus trying to force plays--sound like Favre much?

Just stock up on the Tums and Pepto and hope we see "Good Ben" for the next 3 weeks.

ikestops85
01-08-2009, 12:58 PM
Let's face it guys, it is really all about Ben. He is the wildcard in every game for us. The defense we all know is steady as a rock but Ben can be steady as a rocking chair sometimes. You know what you are getting from Hines and Holmes. You know what you get from FWP, Moore, etc. You know what you get from Miller and Spaeth. What you never know is what Ben is showing up. You can still be a fan and acknowledge that.

Ben is the Steelers equivalent of Brett Favre. We all now know what the Packers experienced for years. When he is "Good Ben" he is very, very good but when he is "Bad Ben" he is typically very, very bad. This is just something we have to get use to until Ben matures to the point that he takes what a defense gives him versus trying to force plays--sound like Favre much?

Just stock up on the Tums and Pepto and hope we see "Good Ben" for the next 3 weeks.

Good points ... which is the reason I say you NEVER pull Ben from a game. He may be horrible one minute and brilliant the next. He does come through in the clutch as well as any QB currently in the league.

LasVegasGuy
01-08-2009, 01:34 PM

ben is having a bad year. eli and rivers both have had bad seasons. besides this year though ben has been excellent and is the only qb remaining in the playoffs besides eli that has a ring, so saying he is the 6th best qb in the playoffs is a joke. you make that opinion from a players career in whole, not just this season.

So if the Jets would have made it Favre would be number #1 rating in the playoffs? Not quite. You base the rating on this years performance and this year Ben is easily 6, 7 or 8 best left in the playoffs.

Steeler Shades
01-08-2009, 01:52 PM
Ben is the Steelers equivalent of Brett Favre. We all now know what the Packers experienced for years. When he is "Good Ben" he is very, very good but when he is "Bad Ben" he is typically very, very bad. This is just something we have to get use to until Ben matures to the point that he takes what a defense gives him versus trying to force plays--sound like Favre much?...
While I agree with your post (mostly), I have to ask when you think Favre will mature "to the point he takes what a defense gives him versus trying to force plays"? If we are going to compare the two it would be reassuring to have some time table of when we might expect that from Ben.

I wonder if the Packers had to do it all over again whether they would take the ups and downs of Favre AGAIN, instead of a different QB (or QBs)? 8)

Oviedo
01-08-2009, 01:53 PM

Good points ... which is the reason I say you NEVER pull Ben from a game. He may be horrible one minute and brilliant the next. He does come through in the clutch as well as any QB currently in the league.

I just pray I don't see Ben trying to force passes to his buddy Nate. That usually causes the ulcers to act up. I'd much rather see an 8 yard dump off to Miller, Spaeth or Moore.

flippy
01-08-2009, 02:19 PM
\He doesn't deserve number 6, he deserves number 8.

Technically I'd make him #7 cause he doesn't have to face the Pittsburgh D.

Unless you were trying to make the point that he's worse than Byron this year :stirpot

LasVegasGuy
01-08-2009, 02:48 PM

Unless you were trying to make the point that he's worse than Byron this year :stirpot

Let's just say the half against the Skins and the 3 quarters against the Browns Byron didn't do anything to cost us the game. I also thought he moved the ball very well when Ben could not. Whether or not he is better the Ben this year I would have to see more from Byron then 5 quarters. Who knows maybe we see more of Byron this this week if Ben comes out stinking up the joint.

RuthlessBurgher
01-08-2009, 02:55 PM

Yeah, whatever QB is facing the Steeler D that week will be given the last place designation among QB's automatically.

In the regular season, Rivers average 250 yards, over 2 TD's, and two-thirds of an INT per game. Against the Steelers, he had 164 yards, 0 TD's, 2 INT's, and a fumble that resulted in a safety.

ikestops85
01-08-2009, 04:36 PM
It's funny how others have a different perspective of Ben than Steeler fans do. Here is a nice article in the Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/01/07/AR2009010704039.html) about Ben. Notice Norv's comment on Ben's deep ball. The sentiment of most steeler fans is just the opposite.

This is also the first I've heard of Ben losing feeling in his arms in the Cleveland game. I kept wondering why they strapped him to the board. They don't normally do that for a concussion.

By Mark Viera
Special to The Washington Post
Thursday, January 8, 2009; Page E03

PITTSBURGH, Jan. 7 -- There was a gang to his left. From the right came more pressure. Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was facing a blitz by members of the news media.

Roethlisberger is back at practice this week and has said he is close to 100 percent after suffering a concussion against the Cleveland Browns on Dec. 28. On Wednesday, some of the focus turned to how Roethlisberger's comeback will affect Pittsburgh against the San Diego Chargers in an AFC semifinal, when he will confront an attack significantly more fearsome than the barrage from reporters.

The Steelers have anchored their success on the NFL's top-ranked defense but have developed only a one-dimensional identity on offense, and it has come in a surprising form for Pittsburgh: through the air.

The Steelers' ability to run the ball against the Chargers could help alleviate some of the pressure on the recovering Roethlisberger, who will be confronted with an aggressive defense. Exhibit A in the Chargers' success busting into the backfield was in their overtime defeat of the Indianapolis Colts in the first round, when they got a critical sack of quarterback Peyton Manning late in regulation to set up a game-tying field goal.

"That's kind of been their M.O. recently, bringing people and using their athletes in the secondary to cover," Roethlisberger said. "We have to be on our P's and Q's and be ready for it as a line and as a unit."

Teammates said they expect Roethlisberger to be prepared for the Chargers and their pass rush. Roethlisberger said he felt fine after practicing this week, although he complained of a slight headache because his helmet was too tight.

On Monday, Roethlisberger said he would be psychologically ready to play, saying: "It is just like when a player comes off of a knee surgery or some kind of injury, you can't go out there scared or afraid to get hurt because that is when you get hurt. I am going to go out there and play normal football, and if I get hit, I get hit."

Roethlisberger's playing status was the great unknown entering the week. He suffered a concussion after he was driven to the ground by Browns linebackers Willie McGinest and D'Qwell Jackson. Roethlisberger, who lay on the field for about 15 minutes before being taken off on a stretcher, said he lost feeling in his arms on the hit.

Roethlisberger, who has suffered at least two concussions on the field and one in a motorcycle crash in 2006, said the Steelers' bye week last weekend gave him extra time to recover.

But until Monday, the uncertainty about his availability was a source of concern. Although the Steelers have a capable backup in Byron Leftwich, Roethlisberger's resiliency has been vital to Pittsburgh's push into the playoffs.

Roethlisberger has helped engineer five fourth-quarter comebacks this season. Among those performances were a drive Nov. 16 against the Chargers that ended when Jeff Reed hit a 32-yard field goal with 11 seconds remaining for an 11-10 victory and a 92-yard march in the final three minutes Dec. 14 against the Baltimore Ravens, which resulted in a 13-9 Steelers win and the AFC North title.

"I think you can see Mike Tomlin's influence on that," Chargers Coach Norv Turner said of the Steelers' coach. "They've got outstanding skill players, outstanding receivers. Obviously, Ben is great at throwing the ball deep. They can be as explosive as they want to be."

The Steelers ranked 17th in the regular season in passing offense (206.3 yards per game) and 23rd in rushing offense (105.6 yards per game). They have been held to less than 100 yards rushing eight times this season. That might need to change.

"We do have to have balance," wide receiver Hines Ward said. "Definitely in the playoffs, you have to be able to run the ball well and be able to do both. We can't just be one-dimensional."

This season, Roethlisberger threw for 3,301 yards with 17 touchdowns and 15 interceptions and completed 59.9 percent of his passes.

The Steelers have dealt with nagging injuries in the backfield and on their offensive line. Running back Willie Parker rushed for 791 yards, his first season with less than 1,000 yards since he rushed for 186 yards as a rookie in 2004. First-round draft pick Rashard Mendenhall fractured his left shoulder in September, ending his season. The injuries conspired to slow Pittsburgh's ground game.

"If I was on the defensive side of the ball," Parker said, "I wouldn't respect the running game because we haven't been that successful this year."

A solid showing on Sunday from Parker, the other running backs and the offensive line could act as a buffer to Roethlisberger. And it might help lift Pittsburgh into the conference championship game.

"If he steps on that field, he's definitely going to be all right," Parker said of Roethlisberger. "We'd love to keep Ben healthy throughout the playoffs."

mshifko
01-08-2009, 04:40 PM
i think ben will play well for us on sunday...he has a lot to prove and wants to avenge his poor first half performance last season in the playoffs...i think you'll see him being more conservative than usual and making smart/timely throws...if we can give the guy at least a decent running game, you'll see big ben play lights out

Steeler Shades
01-08-2009, 04:49 PM
It's funny how others have a different perspective of Ben than Steeler fans do...
Notice Norv's comment on Ben's deep ball. The sentiment of most steeler fans is just the opposite.

"Obviously, Ben is great at throwing the ball deep. They can be as explosive as they want to be."
Wow, what a great idea. More opposing coaches should compliment the next team that they are going to play. Hopefully Ben will read about how good he is at throwing the deep ball and continue to look down field instead of throwing it to any of the underneath guys that are open. 8)

mshifko
01-08-2009, 04:53 PM
SS i love your sig...that might be one of the best yet...

ikestops85
01-08-2009, 05:24 PM
It's funny how others have a different perspective of Ben than Steeler fans do...
Notice Norv's comment on Ben's deep ball. The sentiment of most steeler fans is just the opposite.

"Obviously, Ben is great at throwing the ball deep. They can be as explosive as they want to be."
Wow, what a great idea. More opposing coaches should compliment the next team that they are going to play. Hopefully Ben will read about how good he is at throwing the deep ball and continue to look down field instead of throwing it to any of the underneath guys that are open. 8)

and of course underneath guys are ALWAYS open. :roll:

brothervad
01-08-2009, 05:45 PM
LVG,

You really are off base when assessing Ben (IMHO). You know there was a guy here sometime back that didn't win a Super Bowl in his first 4 seasons...had dreadful TD/INT numbers...had terrible completion % even for that day and age...and yet he somehow managed to win 4 SuperBowls and make it in the Hall of Fame (BTW Brad didn't have more TD's than Int's until his 5th season--The 1975 season after his first SuperBowl appearance--in which he wasn't exactly lights out in his 1st SB...9-14 96 yards 1 TD's, )0 Int's ).

The Fact is from 1970-1974 he had a total of 48 TD's and 81 Int's. The guy was booed, benched, booed...looked like a bust at times ( I am sure some of the older folks would tell you how lost he looked out there from time to time).

Yet somehow a guy that looked like a liability...turned out to be one of the greatest clutch QB's of all time.

Look I don't have a crystal ball...don't know where Ben will end up at the end of his career, but to say the guy is a liability is just ludicrous.

I don't mean to be insulting here, but if message boards were in existence back in the 70's and you were around back then (at the age you are now), my guess is from 70-77 you would've been posting how much of a liability Terry Bradshaw was for the Steelers.

The point I am trying to make here is that it is fine to have criticisms of Ben's performance from time to time and critique things like his decision making or holding of the ball is fine. But to totally disregard his contribution to this team/franchise is just a factless opinion.

Yes the Defense is a big part of our record, but this team isn't the 2nd seed without Ben. His comebacks far outwiegh his mistakes. There isn't a single QB out there that I would take on this team in place of Ben, not even a healthy Tom Brady. The fact is behind this O-line Brady would've have been murdered. Ben was able to craft a 12-4 record behind this less than mediocre offensive line.

And just to clue you in...I am not a complete Ben Kool-aid drinker. I have been critical of his holding on to the ball and some of his misreads. But sometime during this season I saw Ben hold onto the ball juke out one potential pass rusher...hurdle over another one and throw a completion that led to a game winning TD. It was then I realized...I will have to learn to live with my frustration with him because this guy has that "IT" quality that never says die.

Anyway, I have ranted way too long for what Flippy calls me a "Noob" (damn-it can't I get any credit for my Trib post days :) ).

brothervad

Steeler Shades
01-08-2009, 05:47 PM

"Obviously, Ben is great at throwing the ball deep. They can be as explosive as they want to be." Wow, what a great idea. More opposing coaches should compliment the next team that they are going to play. Hopefully Ben will read about how good he is at throwing the deep ball and continue to look down field instead of throwing it to any of the underneath guys that are open. 8)and of course underneath guys are ALWAYS open. :roll:
Fortunately Ben throws the deep ball so well he doesn't need to look for the short passes. Might be a different story if the Steelers offensive line didn't provide enough time for Ben to leisurely look down field. Maybe Norv appreciates Ben's deep ball AND the O-Line more than "most" Steeler posters. 8)

stlrz d
01-08-2009, 05:49 PM
brothervad - please post more often. :)

:Clap

Steeler Shades
01-08-2009, 06:04 PM
His comebacks far outwiegh his mistakes.
Great post Noob ( :wink:), but are you sure that the above statement is accurate for this year? Why do you think that his comebacks outweigh his mistakes? 8)

ikestops85
01-08-2009, 06:07 PM
[quote=ikestops85]It's funny how others have a different perspective of Ben than Steeler fans do...

"Obviously, Ben is great at throwing the ball deep. They can be as explosive as they want to be." Wow, what a great idea. More opposing coaches should compliment the next team that they are going to play. Hopefully Ben will read about how good he is at throwing the deep ball and continue to look down field instead of throwing it to any of the underneath guys that are open. 8)and of course underneath guys are ALWAYS open. :roll:
Fortunately Ben throws the deep ball so well he doesn't need to look for the short passes. Might be a different story if the Steelers offensive line didn't provide enough time for Ben to leisurely look down field. Maybe Norv appreciates Ben's deep ball AND the O-Line more than "most" Steeler posters. 8)[/quote:pg5dn8iq]

Maybe Norv does, but then again, what does Norv know ... he's only been a coach in the NFL for umpteen years. I'd put message board posters ahead of his opinion anytime. :roll:

Steeler Shades
01-08-2009, 06:15 PM
Maybe Norv does, but then again, what does Norv know ... he's only been a coach in the NFL for umpteen years. I'd put message board posters ahead of his opinion anytime. :roll:
Absolutely correct. And just like Tomlin and the rest of the NFL coaches he shares his real opinions with the press about the upcoming game and personnel. Good thing nobody asked him about the best method of beating the Chargers or he might have proven that he knows more than message board posters. Or then maybe he wouldn't be honest about that. :roll:
8)

stlrz d
01-08-2009, 06:43 PM
[quote=ikestops85]It's funny how others have a different perspective of Ben than Steeler fans do...

Fortunately Ben throws the deep ball so well he doesn't need to look for the short passes. Might be a different story if the Steelers offensive line didn't provide enough time for Ben to leisurely look down field. Maybe Norv appreciates Ben's deep ball AND the O-Line more than "most" Steeler posters. 8)

Maybe Norv does, but then again, what does Norv know ... he's only been a coach in the NFL for umpteen years. I'd put message board posters ahead of his opinion anytime. :roll:[/quote:3bqvdxoz]

In sticking with the movie quote thing from another thread (or was it this one?):

Norv: Obviously, Ben is great at throwing the ball deep. They can be as explosive as-
SS: (interrupts) I don't appreciate your ruse, Norv.
Norv: I beg your pardon?
SS: Your ruse. Your cunning attempt to trick me.
Norv: I was only pointing out that I know NFL talent better than you.
SS: And I hope it feels good.
Norv: You hope *what* feels good?
SS: I hope it feels so good to be right. There's nothing more exhilarating than pointing out the shortcomings of others, is there?
Norv: Screw you!
SS: You're not allowed to comment on Ben anymore!

ikestops85
01-08-2009, 06:54 PM
In sticking with the movie quote thing from another thread (or was it this one?):

Norv: Obviously, Ben is great at throwing the ball deep. They can be as explosive as-
SS: (interrupts) I don't appreciate your ruse, Norv.
SS: Your ruse. Your cunning attempt to trick me.
Norv: I was only pointing out that I know NFL talent better than you.
SS: And I hope it feels good.
Norv: You hope *what* feels good?
SS: I hope it feels so good to be right. There's nothing more exhilarating than pointing out the shortcomings of others, is there?
Norv: Screw you!
SS: You're not allowed to comment on Ben anymore!

Now that is funny :lol: :lol: :lol:
:Bow :Bow :Bow

RuthlessBurgher
01-08-2009, 07:12 PM
My friend here's trying to convince me that any independent contractors who were working on the uncompleted Death Star were innocent victims when it was destroyed by the Rebels.

Steeler Shades
01-08-2009, 07:50 PM
stlrz d: (interrupts) Thank God, Norv.
stlrz d: Your insight. I've known all along that the fans on the Steeler board were wrong and they were trying to trick me.
Norv: I was only pointing out that we appreciate what a great deep ball thrower Ben is and we SURE HOPE he doesn't continue looking deep against us.
stlrz d: Hah. Now we've got you Norv. Just wait until Ben finds out that the great Norv Turner agrees with him that regardless of how long it takes...the deep ball is the ANSWER..
Norv: Well, we are also concerned that the Steeler offensive line is so good that there just won't be any way for us to get to Ben in less than 10 seconds.
stlrz d: I hope it feels good to be right. There's nothing more exhilarating than complimenting the opposing team before a game. I know as a Steeler fan I believe anything other coaches say as long as I think it is complimentary or agrees with my opinions.
Norv: Now that's a good boy stlrz d. Way to get with the program.
stlrz d: You're the man Norv. I like the way you think. Thanks for your honesty.
8)

stlrz d
01-08-2009, 08:11 PM
You're right...it was a ruse! He's trying to trick Ben into throwing the ball deep on every play so they can intercept it and maybe even score!

Or maybe he was just being complimentary like coaches sometimes do.

I'll go with the latter.

Steeler Shades
01-08-2009, 08:21 PM
Or maybe he was just being complimentary like coaches sometimes do.
Thank you....my point exactly. It is hard to fathom how some posters could actually believe that an opposing coach's compliments the week before a game actually have anything to do with their true opinions. 8)

Steeler Shades
01-08-2009, 08:23 PM
Now that is funny :lol: :lol: :lol:
:Bow :Bow :Bow
Got to love humor. Helps distract from the embarrassing things that people say. 8)

stlrz d
01-08-2009, 08:30 PM
[quote="stlrz d":36e7058x]Or maybe he was just being complimentary like coaches sometimes do.
Thank you....my point exactly. It is hard to fathom how some posters could actually believe that an opposing coach's compliments the week before a game actually have anything to do with their true opinions. 8)[/quote:36e7058x]

I think you misunderstood what I meant by complimentary.

Let me help you.

Complimentary - as in expressing a compliment. As in meaning what was said. :) Oh wait, that was supposed to be 8) .

:roll:

Steeler Shades
01-08-2009, 08:45 PM
[quote="Steeler Shades":2mzshub5][quote="stlrz d":2mzshub5]Or maybe he was just being complimentary like coaches sometimes do.I think you misunderstood what I meant by complimentary.

Let me help you.

Complimentary - as in expressing a compliment. As in meaning what was said. :) [/quote:2mzshub5][/quote:2mzshub5]
Maybe you should check the meaning of compliment and complimentary. No part of either indicates that the giver is sincere. Is it possible that along with misunderstanding these definitions that you also may have misunderstood Norv's motivation for being "complimentary"? 8)

com?pli?men?ta?ry
1. of the nature of, conveying, or expressing a compliment, often one that is politely flattering: a complimentary remark.

com?pli?ment
1. an expression of praise, commendation, or admiration
2. a formal act or expression of civility, respect, or regard
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/complimentary

SteelerOfDeVille
01-08-2009, 09:11 PM
If Ben has a chip on his shoulder, we better get it off... he might limp off the field due to that chip.

Steeler Shades
01-08-2009, 09:15 PM
If Ben has a chip on his shoulder, we better get it off... he might limp off the field due to that chip.
:Clap :Clap
8)

stlrz d
01-08-2009, 09:19 PM
Since you don't seem to be understanding let me make it a bit clearer for you:

I believe that Norvel Turner was being sincere.

Got it? Good.

stlrz d
01-08-2009, 09:21 PM
I also get a kick out of people who sit around in an office all day insinuating that an NFL QB who gets hit by big, strong, angry men who want to hurt him...is somehow not tough.

You pansies wouldn't last a minute doing what he does.

Steeler Shades
01-08-2009, 09:25 PM
I believe that Norvel Turner was being sincere.
Wow. Why didn't you just say that to begin with? :lol: :lol:
8)

Steeler Shades
01-08-2009, 09:27 PM
I also get a kick out of people who sit around in an office all day insinuating that an NFL QB who gets hit by big, strong, angry men who want to hurt him...is somehow not tough.

I'm sure Tom Brady and Brady Quinn appreciate your admiration. 8)

ikestops85
01-08-2009, 09:56 PM
[quote="stlrz d":77chl9d6][quote="Steeler Shades":77chl9d6][quote="stlrz d":77chl9d6]Or maybe he was just being complimentary like coaches sometimes do.I think you misunderstood what I meant by complimentary.

Let me help you.

Complimentary - as in expressing a compliment. As in meaning what was said. :) [/quote:77chl9d6][/quote:77chl9d6]
Maybe you should check the meaning of compliment and complimentary. No part of either indicates that the giver is sincere. Is it possible that along with misunderstanding these definitions that you also may have misunderstood Norv's motivation for being "complimentary"? 8)

com?pli?men?ta?ry
1. of the nature of, conveying, or expressing a compliment, often one that is politely flattering: a complimentary remark.

com?pli?ment
1. an expression of praise, commendation, or admiration
2. a formal act or expression of civility, respect, or regard
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/complimentary[/quote:77chl9d6]

Maybe you should check the definition because no part of either indicates the giver is a liar. In fact quite the opposite is implied although not specified. I don't think when you lie you are expressing your respect or regard for someone. :wink:

Steeler Shades
01-08-2009, 10:08 PM
Maybe you should check the definition because no part of either indicates the giver is a liar. In fact quite the opposite is implied although not specified. I don't think when you lie you are expressing your respect or regard for someone. :wink:
Might be the difference between a "sincere" compliment and one that isn't? Perhaps insincere compliments have become so common that is why we often see the word "sincere' when the giver is actually being complimentary. Either way, a coach's compliment of an opposing team's QB the week before a game, IMHO should not be implied as being sincere. Again, just my opinion and others may choose to believe what an opposing coach says under these circumstances. 8)

LasVegasGuy
01-08-2009, 10:35 PM
LVG,

You really are off base when assessing Ben (IMHO). You know there was a guy here sometime back that didn't win a Super Bowl in his first 4 seasons...had dreadful TD/INT numbers...had terrible completion % even for that day and age...and yet he somehow managed to win 4 SuperBowls and make it in the Hall of Fame (BTW Brad didn't have more TD's than Int's until his 5th season--The 1975 season after his first SuperBowl appearance--in which he wasn't exactly lights out in his 1st SB...9-14 96 yards 1 TD's, )0 Int's ).

The Fact is from 1970-1974 he had a total of 48 TD's and 81 Int's. The guy was booed, benched, booed...looked like a bust at times ( I am sure some of the older folks would tell you how lost he looked out there from time to time).

Yet somehow a guy that looked like a liability...turned out to be one of the greatest clutch QB's of all time.

Look I don't have a crystal ball...don't know where Ben will end up at the end of his career, but to say the guy is a liability is just ludicrous.

I don't mean to be insulting here, but if message boards were in existence back in the 70's and you were around back then (at the age you are now), my guess is from 70-77 you would've been posting how much of a liability Terry Bradshaw was for the Steelers.

The point I am trying to make here is that it is fine to have criticisms of Ben's performance from time to time and critique things like his decision making or holding of the ball is fine. But to totally disregard his contribution to this team/franchise is just a factless opinion.

Yes the Defense is a big part of our record, but this team isn't the 2nd seed without Ben. His comebacks far outwiegh his mistakes. There isn't a single QB out there that I would take on this team in place of Ben, not even a healthy Tom Brady. The fact is behind this O-line Brady would've have been murdered. Ben was able to craft a 12-4 record behind this less than mediocre offensive line.

And just to clue you in...I am not a complete Ben Kool-aid drinker. I have been critical of his holding on to the ball and some of his misreads. But sometime during this season I saw Ben hold onto the ball juke out one potential pass rusher...hurdle over another one and throw a completion that led to a game winning TD. It was then I realized...I will have to learn to live with my frustration with him because this guy has that "IT" quality that never says die.

Anyway, I have ranted way too long for what Flippy calls me a "Noob" (damn-it can't I get any credit for my Trib post days :) ).

brothervad

Brothervad great post and I mean that sincerly. My problem is not so much with Ben it's more with his eratic play. I still feel he is a liability and the only reason we haven't self destructed from his mistakes is because we have a great, maybe the greatest defense covering it all up for him. And if you think about his comebacks this year most of them can be attributed to the offense not moving the ball for the first 55 minutes or that he had multiple picks and fumbles in the game.

LasVegasGuy
01-08-2009, 10:41 PM

You mean making up injuries when we play poorly. I think we can all handle that.

Wolfhound45
01-09-2009, 12:09 AM

Could not have said it better. I can love him on one play, hate him the next, and then love him the next. He is maddeningly inconsistent and yet incredibly talented. If he would only play under control, but if he does then he is not who he is.

The other thing to remember about the Favre comparison?

He only won one Super Bowl.

I just want to see good Ben one week at a time.

Steel Life
01-09-2009, 01:49 AM

Could not have said it better. I can love him on one play, hate him the next, and then love him the next. He is maddeningly inconsistent and yet incredibly talented. If he would only play under control, but if he does then he is not who he is.

The other thing to remember about the Favre comparison?

He only won one Super Bowl.

I just want to see good Ben one week at a time.
Here's my question then...why is it only on Ben? Aren't any of the other players responsible for the team's success or is he alone supposed to make up for their poor games or deficiencies? ...Maybe that's the basis of Colbert's drafting - "Ben will make up for it."

ColumbusSteelerFan
01-11-2009, 10:50 PM
I think he got some of that chip off today :lol:

NW Steeler
01-11-2009, 11:01 PM
Oops, I guess now he's the third rated qb left in the playoffs!!

Steeler Shades
01-12-2009, 08:20 AM
Oops, I guess now he's the third rated qb left in the playoffs!!
Actually, last night KDKA mentioned an ESPN poll that has him 3rd of the remaining 4. Go figure. 8)