PDA

View Full Version : All Systems GO!!!!!!

Jooser
01-07-2009, 01:12 PM
Well, for the first time in a while the team is healthy on the injury front - as per Steelers.com:

http://news.steelers.com/article/101671/

Steelers have a clean bill of health
Wednesday, January 7, 2009
By Teresa Varley
Steelers.com

Head coach Mike Tomlin usually addresses injuries in the opening of his weekly press conference, and if he doesn’t, the media normally bring them up with the first question on two.

But on Tuesday, it took a while before the injuries were even brought up and for good reason. The Steelers are healthy.

“I didn’t talk about injuries because, quite frankly, we have a clean bill of health,” said Tomlin. “That is the first time in a long time.”

The Steelers had a full roster practicing on Monday, their first day of preparation for the AFC Divisional Playoff game against the San Diego Chargers on Sunday.

Safety Ryan Clark and linebacker James Harrison both missed the Browns game after suffering injuries against the Tennessee Titans. Other who were injured, including fullback Carey Davis and quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, have also been given a clean bill of health.

“Those are the guys that had circumstances that the off-week worked in our favor,” said Tomlin. “We were able to get those guys the rest and recuperation that they needed. It is a non-issue; we practiced (Monday) and everybody participated fully, which is good because we have a highly-contested battle ahead of us.”

Running back Gary Russell emerged as a short-yardage, goal-line back the last time the Steelers and Chargers met and he continues in that role.

“He is a one-trick pony,” said Tomlin. “We like to tease him because he is downhill; it doesn’t matter what play you call, it is downhill with him. That happens to be a positive attribute for that circumstance.”

Tomlin indicated that Russell does have a knack for knowing where the end zone is, but he also has that same ability in the open field.

“I just think it is who he is as a runner,” said Tomlin. “He runs behind his pads; very rarely is he knocked back; he has a nice center of gravity; he is a competitor. He has been doing a nice job for us in those areas, and not only in those areas, but as a kickoff return man as well.”

Linebacker James Harrison is one of the NFL Alumni 2008 Player of the Year honorees. Former players vote for a player at the position where they once played and Harrison took the honors at linebacker. Harrison will receive the honor at the 27th Annual Player of the Year Awards Dinner held in Tampa on January 30.

With one playoff game already ending in overtime this season, the sudden-death format has again become a hot topic for many. But not for Tomlin, who was asked his thoughts on it during his weekly press conference.

“I don’t worry about that; the rules are what they are,” said Tomlin. “How we conduct our business is what it is. Everybody is aware of it, so you play to it. I think that you can spend a lot of time crying over spilled milk, but the reality of it is our setup is what it is. You understand the lay of the land; you have to play to it. It is no different than a few weeks ago when people were talking about division winners getting home playoff games. It is our system and you have to embrace it. That is what I choose to do.”

stlrz d
01-07-2009, 01:29 PM
Yes Sir!

:tt2

Sugar
01-07-2009, 01:43 PM
This is excellent news! I'm looking forward to the game and hoping that they are all able to contribute as much as possible.

:tt2

flippy
01-07-2009, 02:03 PM
I'd like to see us use Russell in the Red Zone offense more.

stlrz d
01-07-2009, 02:12 PM
I'd like to see us use Russell in the Red Zone offense more.

At the very least we could play-action off of him. If he's in teams are going to figure he's getting the ball.

Would love to see us on the goal line with a FB and Russell. Fake dive to Russell and flip to Miller or Spaeth.

frankthetank1
01-07-2009, 02:35 PM
i would like to see more of russell period. doesnt matter in what situation, i think he is going to be very good

AkronSteel
01-07-2009, 03:29 PM
This is awesome news! Good to see all hands on deck and ready to get this thing started. We have not been healthy completely all year and this is what I have been waiting for. I think this team is ready to make a good push for that 6th Lombardi Trophy! Man, I'm ready for Sunday to get here!

Steelgal
01-07-2009, 03:46 PM
Great news!!
:tt1

Iron Shiek
01-07-2009, 05:40 PM
This is awesome news! Good to see all hands on deck and ready to get this thing started. We have not been healthy completely all year and this is what I have been waiting for. I think this team is ready to make a good push for that 6th Lombardi Trophy! Man, I'm ready for Sunday to get here!

Yeah all year I kept thinking -- Man if only we had the whole team together -- well this is it right here. Time to turn up the heat on the bolts, big time a$$ whippin coming for them. :Steel

steelcityrules!!
01-07-2009, 06:23 PM
while this news is certainly great, i wonder why he called russell a "one-trick-pony"? is he only good for a 2 yard dive?

i happen to think he's under-utilized in the offense, but what the F do I know.

stlrz d
01-07-2009, 08:00 PM
while this news is certainly great, i wonder why he called russell a "one-trick-pony"? is he only good for a 2 yard dive?

If you read it again he's referring to running "downhill". Meaning that Russell doesn't mess around, he just runs downhill on every play.

Jooser
01-07-2009, 08:07 PM
[quote="steelcityrules!!":5kvirdbs]while this news is certainly great, i wonder why he called russell a "one-trick-pony"? is he only good for a 2 yard dive?

If you read it again he's referring to running "downhill". Meaning that Russell doesn't mess around, he just runs downhill on every play.[/quote:5kvirdbs]

Yeah, that's how I took it too, D. He said he always runs behind his pads. I like the idea of play action with him in the red zone too. Or, line him up and put Harrison in front of him as a lead blocker!! :shock:

steelcityrules!!
01-07-2009, 11:07 PM
[quote="steelcityrules!!":1qx9jzy0]while this news is certainly great, i wonder why he called russell a "one-trick-pony"? is he only good for a 2 yard dive?

If you read it again he's referring to running "downhill". Meaning that Russell doesn't mess around, he just runs downhill on every play.[/quote:1qx9jzy0]

I guess i just took the one trick pony thing as a negative. the rest of his comments seemed positive, but he's still under-utilized IMHO... if you call a player a "one trick pony" and rarely use him, even though he's a power runner in a very weak running offense...

maybe I'm just :Blah too much.

give him 15 carries this week if there is so much praise, hows that?

AkronSteel
01-08-2009, 12:12 AM
[quote="stlrz d":1mzb909u][quote="steelcityrules!!":1mzb909u]while this news is certainly great, i wonder why he called russell a "one-trick-pony"? is he only good for a 2 yard dive?

If you read it again he's referring to running "downhill". Meaning that Russell doesn't mess around, he just runs downhill on every play.[/quote:1mzb909u]

I guess i just took the one trick pony thing as a negative. the rest of his comments seemed positive, but he's still under-utilized IMHO... if you call a player a "one trick pony" and rarely use him, even though he's a power runner in a very weak running offense...

maybe I'm just :Blah too much.

give him 15 carries this week if there is so much praise, hows that?[/quote:1mzb909u]

I took it as a negative at first too until I listened to the rest of his comments. I thought it was just a poor choice of words.

Jooser
01-08-2009, 01:01 AM
The main point is this: we're healthy and ready to rape the villages and pillage the women! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!