01-07-2009, 12:31 PM
FREE AGENT at the end of the YEAR

DO we RESIGN HIM or LET HIM GO???

SidSmythe
01-07-2009, 12:33 PM

Great question SID.

I say if the Market wants to pay him top $$$ we have to let him go.

WHY???
~ we need to address our O-Line first
~ plus in his absence the defense was still #1.

SOLUTION: Willie Gay, Deshea and our front 7!!!

RussBII
01-07-2009, 12:35 PM

Great question SID.

I say if the Market wants to pay him top $$$ we have to let him go.

WHY???
~ we need to address our O-Line first
~ plus in his absence the defense was still #1.

SOLUTION: Willie Gay, Deshea and our front 7!!!

No way, sign him at all costs!!!!

RussBII
01-07-2009, 12:36 PM

Are you insane you douchebag???

I say sign him if its reasonable, if he's going to get Nate Clementsish money, let him go. Even if he gets half of that let him go. Willie Gay looks good to me, and if the Pass Rush stays true to form we can put a goat out there opposite Ike and be ok.

calmkiller
01-07-2009, 12:40 PM
If he takes a good contract keep him. William Gay was a 5th rounder 2 years ago and hes turned out to be very capable of playing. Address the OL and draft a corner in the later rounds of this upcoming draft. No need to go crazy over a corner.

Jom112
01-07-2009, 12:41 PM

I say sign him if its reasonable, if he's going to get Nate Clementsish money, let him go. Even if he gets half of that let him go. Willie Gay looks good to me, and if the Pass Rush stays true to form we can put a goat out there opposite Ike and be ok.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I think you guys should resign him even if you have to overpay a bit. Nothing crazy probably a bit less than Ken Hamlin type money. Hamlin's getting about $6.5 Mil per season (I know he's a safety), Bmac should get at least $5 Mil per.

In todays NFL your #3 CB needs to be good. Townsend is 33, he's not going to be able to keep up with WR's for too much longer. Gay has been good but like I said you need at least 3 good corners.

You could draft a corner in the 2nd or 3rd round but I would suggest saving that pick for other positions...

MeetJoeGreene
01-07-2009, 12:49 PM
I don't know what is deeper in the draft OL or CB. I am not opposed to signing bmac for reasonable -- but I don't think he will. If we are going to spend BIG money, I would rather get a proven LT in FA and address the CB in the first round. We will be able to develop a first round CB reasonably with the presence of Gay and Deshea.

SteelerNation1
01-07-2009, 01:28 PM
I have said this an infinite amount of times...he's going to sign a 7 year 60+ million dollar deal. Mark it down.

Jom112
01-07-2009, 01:34 PM
I have said this an infinite amount of times...he's going to sign a 7 year 60+ million dollar deal. Mark it down.

No way is anyone throwing that kind of money at Bmac. Besides maybe crazy Al Davis, who'll then just cut him halfway into the season.

Bmac is good but he's not on Nate Clements level. He'll probably get a contract more around Ken Hamil's, IMHO...

SteelerNation1
01-07-2009, 01:38 PM

No way is anyone throwing that kind of money at Bmac. Besides maybe crazy Al Davis, who'll then just cut him halfway into the season.

Bmac is good but he's not on Nate Clements level. He'll probably get a contract more around Ken Hamil's, IMHO...
With the possibility of an uncapped year in 2010, he'll get at least that amount I think. Clements deal was 8 yrs 80 wasnt it?

Oviedo
01-07-2009, 01:41 PM
I think he is the #2 off season signing priority. The #1 should be a left tackle from outside the organization.

I think that they need to resign Bmac if he will accept a reasonable contract offer. We all need to remember he is a good CB, but he is the #2 CB on this team and does not draw the opponents best WR--that is Ike. Gay has proven that he can step in and play so Bmac doesn't have a lot of leverage with the Steelers to try to break the bank. If he does walk, we need to draft a CB in rounds 1-3 because Deshea is clearly starting to show his age.

proudpittsburgher
01-07-2009, 01:44 PM

OK, you know that the Trib board in infecting these parts when we are calling ourselves names and literally, fighting among ourselves. :lol:

Jom112
01-07-2009, 01:47 PM
I don't know what is deeper in the draft OL or CB. I am not opposed to signing bmac for reasonable -- but I don't think he will. If we are going to spend BIG money, I would rather get a proven LT in FA and address the CB in the first round. We will be able to develop a first round CB reasonably with the presence of Gay and Deshea.

After the 2nd round, there are still some good corner backs around but it will take time for them to develop. Mark Parson might still be around but besides him I don't see any late 3rd round corners that will be able to step in for Bmac. If you were drafting earlier in the round, I think you could definitely find some.

Which means you would to use a 1st or 2nd round pick on a corner to replace Bmac. I think those picks would be better used for a Center, OT, Guard or DT. There are some really talented Centers in this years draft, so I think you guys will definitely address that in one of your first two picks. The other pick could go to a corner if Bmac's price gets too high...

flippy
01-07-2009, 02:01 PM
He's a young rising player. You give him a contract. You need good corners.

Oviedo
01-07-2009, 02:04 PM

After the 2nd round, there are still some good corner backs around but it will take time for them to develop. Mark Parson might still be around but besides him I don't see any late 3rd round corners that will be able to step in for Bmac. If you were drafting earlier in the round, I think you could definitely find some.

Which means you would to use a 1st or 2nd round pick on a corner to replace Bmac. I think those picks would be better used for a Center, OT, Guard or DT. There are some really talented Centers in this years draft, so I think you guys will definitely address that in one of your first two picks. The other pick could go to a corner if Bmac's price gets too high...

Remember the name Joe Burnett, CB from Central Florida. He is also an outstanding returner. He should be available Round 3/4 range.

Jom112
01-07-2009, 02:18 PM

Remember the name Joe Burnett, CB from Central Florida. He is also an outstanding returner. He should be available Round 3/4 range.

Sounds like a solid prospect from what I've read. I guess it comes down to if you guys think Gay can be the #2 guy permanently...

frankthetank1
01-07-2009, 02:21 PM
they shouldnt pay him more than 5 mil a year. gay is very good maybe even better than bmac was in his second year. the o-line and d-line should be the two top priorities

Mel Blount's G
01-07-2009, 02:25 PM
I agree w/ the idea that signing him for a reasonable amount would be good BUT offensive line has got to take priority at this point in time. It could be the one thing that prevents us from getting a lombardi this year

MeetJoeGreene
01-07-2009, 02:46 PM
I agree w/ the idea that signing him for a reasonable amount would be good BUT offensive line has got to take priority at this point in time. It could be the one thing that prevents us from getting a lombardi this year

Right. My contention is that I would rather spend XX million (notice double digit) on PROVEN offenseive lineman and draft a CB than XX million on Bmac and draft a potential OL.

Chemsteel
01-07-2009, 03:00 PM
The Steelers had McFadden as their number one priority and offered a contract extension even before Chris Gamble resigned.

There is one big difference and that is the agents. McFadden is represented by Rosenhaus and Gamble by Poston.

Rosenhaus thinks McFadden warrants top CB money and a contract more than Gamble if not similar.

http://nationalfootballpost.stats.com/f ... a&tm=&src= (http://nationalfootballpost.stats.com/fb/story.asp?i=20081128214631090000101&ref=hea&tm=&src=)

Oviedo
01-07-2009, 03:07 PM
If Bmac wants 6 years for $50M then I say see ya later.

The improvement in the pass rush this year has made all the DBs look better.

Use some of that money to extend Woodley now before he has an insane season and prices himself out of the market.

ramblinjim
01-07-2009, 03:31 PM

Good plan, and the observation about our OL this year. If we can keep our pass rush up, we can have good (not great) corners on our team and be just fine.

Oviedo
01-07-2009, 03:38 PM
Don't forget also that we have Roy Lewis (CB) and Ryan Mundy (S) on the practice squad. Both were real close to making the 53 man roster and I think this staff is more commited to developing young players versus getting one that can step in or holding on to one too long.

Our entire secondary has IMO improved since Tomlin came in and Ray Horton took over DBs.

feltdizz
01-07-2009, 04:19 PM
you let him go.... Gay is more then capable... and McFadden actually looked worse since he returned IMO. Maybe it's because he wasn't up to game speed but unless it's reasonable you have to let him go....

mshifko
01-07-2009, 04:34 PM
resign him for sure...i'm a big bmac fan, he's a great young corner...

Steelhere10
01-07-2009, 04:58 PM
i think the play of William Gay has brought the urgency to sing Bmac down a tad.

feltdizz
01-07-2009, 05:06 PM
i think the play of William Gay has brought the urgency to sing Bmac down a tad.

yep.. sucks for BMac but his injury showed that Gay is solid and with our LB's.... maybe our DB's are pretty solid regardless.

SteelerNation1
01-07-2009, 05:06 PM
Don't forget also that we have Roy Lewis (CB) and Ryan Mundy (S) on the practice squad. Both were real close to making the 53 man roster and I think this staff is more commited to developing young players versus getting one that can step in or holding on to one too long.

Our entire secondary has IMO improved since Tomlin came in and Ray Horton took over DBs.
Spot on Ov.

SteelerOfDeVille
01-07-2009, 06:23 PM
He and Nate should have been re-signed this past offseason... I think not re-signing both were mistakes. Said it then and repeating it now.

BURGH86STEEL
01-07-2009, 06:50 PM
The organization will probably like to resign him for the right price. They cannot afford to get into a bidding war with larger market teams in this tough economic time. Think they managed their money closely before? It might get even worse. We might even see a day when the salary capp drops, players have to take pay cuts, renegotiate contracts or get cut. Few teams can afford to over pay for Bmac. Depends on what those teams need and where they want to spend money. It could work in the Steelers favor. I doubt the Steelers over pay him. All mid level FA's might be in for a rude awakening come contract time for several reasons.

Bandito
01-07-2009, 09:49 PM
BMac is more athletic. William Gay, in my opinion, has hit his ceiling. Gay has great instincts but not a #1/2 CB. Our secondary is made better by our pass rush and I believe Gay would had been more exposed in man coverage than BMac. I like both but I believe BMac is a priority re-signing.

The good CB picks are in the 1st round and then drops off sharply. Category not as good as last draft. Not much in 2010 either so I believe BMac is a priority or in FA.

Mick'sTeam
01-07-2009, 10:53 PM

Ding Ding Ding!!!! We have a winner!

Oviedo
01-08-2009, 10:38 AM
BMac is more athletic. William Gay, in my opinion, has hit his ceiling. Gay has great instincts but not a #1/2 CB. Our secondary is made better by our pass rush and I believe Gay would had been more exposed in man coverage than BMac. I like both but I believe BMac is a priority re-signing.

The good CB picks are in the 1st round and then drops off sharply. Category not as good as last draft. Not much in 2010 either so I believe BMac is a priority or in FA.

Bmac is the obvious first choice but if he is looking for $50-60M then it just isn't happening with the much more important priority to shore up the OL.

Everyone needs to remember that Starks, Smith and Essex are all unrestrictcted free agents and Colon is a restricted free agent. That is all our tackles. You are not going to fix that in the draft and that means you have to resign at least two of those guys and get someone in free agency.

All that factors into there being no money for Bmac.

SteelerNation1
01-08-2009, 10:45 AM

Bmac is the obvious first choice but if he is looking for $50-60M then it just isn't happening with the much more important priority to shore up the OL.

Everyone needs to remember that Starks, Smith and Essex are all unrestrictcted free agents and Colon is a restricted free agent. That is all our tackles. You are not going to fix that in the draft and that means you have to resign at least two of those guys and get someone in free agency.

I guess that begs the question...which tackle(s) do the Steelers resign? My guess, at this point, would be Max Starks.

ramblinjim
01-08-2009, 10:48 AM
I think Kemo is an UFA this year too.....

frankthetank1
01-08-2009, 10:56 AM

i couldnt disagree more about gay. he is only a 2nd year player, how can a player that young hit his ceiling? i think gay will improve even more.

Oviedo
01-08-2009, 11:17 AM

I guess that begs the question...which tackle(s) do the Steelers resign? My guess, at this point, would be Max Starks.

IMO Max Starks is more likely to be resigned than us getting any other OT in free agency. Starks has been very serviceable if not outstanding. I would also resign Essex and consider Marvel Smith for a vet minimum.

As far as Kemo, I just haven't seen anything great. He would have to accept a cap firendly contract for me to resign him. I would give Colon a qualifying offer, but that would be with the understanding that he was going to move inside to guard. He is by far the worst player on the OL when he is out at tackle.

That means we sign a RT in free agency or go early in the draft for a rookie who can play RT. I prefer the former since I don't count on anything from rookies. The wildcard is Tony Hills. Hills may be the solution at RT since he has a year in the system. We really don't know where he is in his development and I think he gets forgotten. Maybe Capizzi develops into a solid back up and we can let Essex walk.

Clealry more questions than answers and it will be interesting to see how the pieces all fall into place.

With all those question on the OL I go back to my original point--no money for Bmac.

SteelerNation1
01-08-2009, 11:19 AM

IMO Max Starks is more likely to be resigned than us getting any other OT in free agency. Starks has been very serviceable if not outstanding. I would also resign Essex and consider Marvel Smith for a vet minimum.

As far as Kemo, I just haven't seen anything great. He would have to accept a cap firendly contract for me to resign him. I would give Colon a qualifying offer, but that would be with the understanding that he was going to move inside to guard. He is by far the worst player on the OL when he is out at tackle.

That means we sign a RT in free agency or go early in the draft for a rookie who can play RT. I prefer the former since I don't count on anything from rookies. The wildcard is Tony Hills. Hills may be the solution at RT since he has a year in the system. We really don't know where he is in his development and I think he gets forgotten. maybe Capizzi develops into a solid back up and we can let Essex walk.

Clealry more questions than answers and it will be interesting to see how the pieces all fall into place.
Nice analysis Ov. I agree with you about Tony Hills. If he can be an upgrade over Colon, that will solve a HUGE problem on this team. Let Kemo walk, try like heck to resign Essex, and draft a road-grading guard in the draft.

Bandito
01-08-2009, 02:01 PM

i couldnt disagree more about gay. he is only a 2nd year player, how can a player that young hit his ceiling? i think gay will improve even more.

Hi Frank!
I apologize when I mentioned that he has hit his ceiling. From an experience standpoint, I believe that there is always room for improvement that you can only learn from repetition and experience. My main concern with William Gay is I don't think he has the physical tools to excel much further than he has now. He has great instincts and I think that has served him well in Lebeau's system. I'm ecstatic of his performance so far and he has been better than I thought when we first drafted him. I'm just concerned of not re-signing BMac and handing the full-time job to Gay. We don't have much quality depth. I just hope we can sign BMac to a reasonable contract as I don't see much options in FA and in the 2009 and 2010 drafts. I really don't know much about Fernando Bryant and am curious of what he can do for the Steelers should he be resigned.

My overall concern is to address the OL but not to worsen our thin depth in the secondary which I think is right there neck to neck with DL as our second position of need due to FA. Need - OL, DL, DB I think we have a better chance to address DL than DB in the draft.

Oviedo
01-08-2009, 02:08 PM

Hi Frank!
I apologize when I mentioned that he has hit his ceiling. From an experience standpoint, I believe that there is always room for improvement that you can only learn from repetition and experience. My main concern with William Gay is I don't think he has the physical tools to excel much further than he has now. He has great instincts and I think that has served him well in Lebeau's system. I'm ecstatic of his performance so far and he has been better than I thought when we first drafted him. I'm just concerned of not re-signing BMac and handing the full-time job to Gay. We don't have much quality depth. I just hope we can sign BMac to a reasonable contract as I don't see much options in FA and in the 2009 and 2010 drafts. I really don't know much about Fernando Bryant and am curious of what he can do for the Steelers should he be resigned.

My overall concern is to address the OL but not to worsen our thin depth in the secondary which I think is right there neck to neck with DL as our second position of need due to FA. Need - OL, DL, DB I think we have a better chance to address DL than DB in the draft.

OL, DL and DB are all high priority and I think our first pick will be in one of those positions based on the best available player still on the board. I actually think that DL and DB would give you the most returns since they typically can play their rookie years as part of a rotation that is typical for our DL and DB positions.

It is much harder for a rookie toget into the starting line up on the OL because that is more about continuity and working together. That typically means they need a year to develop before they can contribute which is why I would go DL or CB in Round 1 (assuming Bmac can't be resigned and I don't think he can) and OL in Round 2.

Bandito
01-08-2009, 02:14 PM

That means we sign a RT in free agency or go early in the draft for a rookie who can play RT. I prefer the former since I don't count on anything from rookies. The wildcard is Tony Hills. Hills may be the solution at RT since he has a year in the system. We really don't know where he is in his development and I think he gets forgotten. maybe Capizzi develops into a solid back up and we can let Essex walk.

Nice analysis Ov. I agree with you about Tony Hills. If he can be an upgrade over Colon, that will solve a HUGE problem on this team. Let Kemo walk, try like heck to resign Essex, and draft a road-grading guard in the draft.

I agree with the statements. I hope we can get a starting guard hopefully Duke Robinson in the 1st pick since I still think we can get a starting OT in the 2nd pick. Waiting to hear if Ciron Black, Trent Williams, Russell Okung, or Adam Ulatoski will declare early.

Bandito
01-08-2009, 02:22 PM

Hi Frank!

OL, DL and DB are all high priority and I think our first pick will be in one of those positions based on the best available player still on the board. I actually think that DL and DB would give you the most returns since they typically can play their rookie years as part of a rotation that is typical for our DL and DB positions.

It is much harder for a rookie toget into the starting line up on the OL because that is more about continuity and working together. That typically means they need a year to develop before they can contribute which is why I would go DL or CB in Round 1 (assuming Bmac can't be resigned and I don't think he can) and OL in Round 2.

Ov,
My first instinct was DL/CB but I'm afraid of missing out on the great OL turnout again for this draft as last year. I don't think 2010/2011 will be great for the OL though it is a bit early to tell and we may need to address WR by then which I believe will be strong in those years especially 2011. However, there are some decent OL FA to be had and as you mentioned alot depends on the best available player still on the board considering we will be picking 32nd. :D

*edit - we didn't had much choice in OL in 2008 draft because of the runoff in the teens before the 22nd pick*

mshifko
01-08-2009, 03:27 PM
i agree with oviedo on tony hills...i think he can step in next year and battle for that right tackle spot...from what i have heard, he seems to have the quickness to hold off speed rushers and it's obvious he has the size...

steelz09
01-08-2009, 03:53 PM
I would give McFadden somewhere around the 30 million range give or take a few.

It's really the Steelers own fault for not signing him earlier. He's proven to be starter material but yet he has sat the bench. You need many CB's and I feel that Townsend still has a couple years left in the tank especially in the "nickle" role. That leaves a solid CB corps for years and allows the Steelers to dedicate much needed draft picks on the big uglies for both the OL/DL.

SteelerOfDeVille
01-08-2009, 04:12 PM
I would give McFadden somewhere around the 30 million range give or take a few.

yep. my take has always been that he'd get about what Ike got.

It's really the Steelers own fault for not signing him earlier. He's proven to be starter material but yet he has sat the bench. You need many CB's and I feel that Townsend still has a couple years left in the tank especially in the "nickle" role. That leaves a solid CB corps for years and allows the Steelers to dedicate much needed draft picks on the big uglies for both the OL/DL.
I think Gay's performance threw a wrench in their plans... coming in, he was compared to Deshea (both by me, as well as some draft experts). Thus far, he still reminds me of a young Deshea, maybe with a little more speed.

feltdizz
01-08-2009, 07:35 PM

Gay hasn't even peaked yet.. he is a ball hawk.

steelz09
01-08-2009, 08:04 PM

Gay hasn't even peaked yet.. he is a ball hawk.

William Gay really played well this year. I would still like to sign Bmac to an extension though. He's aggressive, plays the ball well in the air (just like w. gay) and plays the run very well.

Our pass defense has improved greatly though but I think we can attribute that two several things:

1) Timmons
2) Polamalu playing more of a "safety" role
3) Pass Rush

Steel Life
01-09-2009, 01:59 AM
While B-Mac is a nice player - Gay's contribution this showed he's not essential to the defense & therefore can be replaced. If asks for too much - especially since he couldn't crack the lineup until Deshea went down - let him walk & draft someone new like Ellis Lankster from West Virginia.