PDA

View Full Version : OT: I am just not interested in the BCS title game

MeetJoeGreene
01-07-2009, 09:02 AM
I have bowled out.

Stretching it out this extra week, plus not having a playoff system and screwing teams like undefeated Utah has left me with a very bad taste.

I won't watch it. Anyone else feel the same way?

Chachi
01-07-2009, 09:13 AM
I will not watch.

But, I have never been much for college football anyway.

I saw the last quarter of the Texas-OS game and that is it for bowl games.

Heck, that was it for college football this entire year.

It does nothing for me.

frankthetank1
01-07-2009, 09:40 AM
i have no interest in the game either. the bcs is terrible and it makes college football a joke. i also hate that they stretch bowl games after new years day. there were only like 4 games on new years day, i was shocked and angry. there was even some crap game on last night and it was the 6th of jan

Jom112
01-07-2009, 09:44 AM
I'm definitely watching it. The BCS system might blow but the Florida/Oklahoma game should be fun to watch.

Plus there are a lot of players that might end up on our teams next season that you want to watch out for: Duke Robinson, Louis Murphy, Percy Harvin, Juaquin Iglesias and DeMarco Murray (If he plays and decides to come out)...

RussBII
01-07-2009, 09:48 AM
I'm with Jom.... You gotta watch the championship game, if only to see how badly the BCS got it wrong this year. I pretty much avoided about 97% of the other bowls specifically so I wouldn't be burned out for UF/OU. Should be a good game. I really would love to see USC's defense against OU's offense, but UF's D is pretty good too... we shall see.

The whole thing will suck until there's an And1 game or a true playoff system.

SidSmythe
01-07-2009, 10:15 AM
I have bowled out.

Stretching it out this extra week, plus not having a playoff system and screwing teams like undefeated Utah has left me with a very bad taste.

I won't watch it. Anyone else feel the same way?

I agree. Although I will peak at it. But if i have to work late or something and I miss, i wouldn't be upset.
Sometimes I'll watch the 1st quarter and then watch the 4th quarter. But the bowls games mean nothing to me.
My friend was all upset about Ohio St. losing and i thought, "What does it matter, it was a good game, but in the end you really gain NOTHING"

SteelBucks
01-07-2009, 10:27 AM
I'm still stinging from the OSU loss on Monday but I'll watch. I have to root for OU since my hatred for Florida runs deep (guess I'm also still stinging from the '07 NC game).

birtikidis
01-07-2009, 11:03 AM
wouldn't miss the game for nothing. It'll be a good one.
oh and the thing about USC's defense against OSU, I'd prefer to see USC's defense against UF and UF's D against USC's O. I think alot of people are underestimating how good we are.

snarky
01-07-2009, 11:04 AM
Won't watch. It's nonsense.

Northern_Blitz
01-07-2009, 12:00 PM
I don't really follow College Football up here in Canada, but I don't get how Texas isn't in the championship with the same record as OU and a win head to head at a neutral site.

BCS is a joke for choosing a championship, but really good at getting lots of colleges lots of $$.

SidSmythe
01-07-2009, 12:25 PM
I say USC, Utah, Texas and the winner thursday night RENT out neutral sites next saturday night and go at it.

Utah vs. Oklahoma/Florida
USC vs. Texas

Then the following Saturday, play in a championship.

It could be advertised as an amateur event and done in protest. Some rich tycoon could make it happen.

feltdizz
01-07-2009, 12:35 PM
I'm watching... I love college football..

I hope it isn't a blow out.

feltdizz
01-07-2009, 12:39 PM
I don't really follow College Football up here in Canada, but I don't get how Texas isn't in the championship with the same record as OU and a win head to head at a neutral site.

BCS is a joke for choosing a championship, but really good at getting lots of colleges lots of $$.

Texas "should have been in the Championship game... but the way Texas and Texas Tech played didn't bode well for the Big 12 IMO...

I don't understand why USC had no shot at a title with 1 loss... I really don't see how they pick who is the better "1-loss team.

calmkiller
01-07-2009, 12:41 PM
I haven't even watched a game since I was at WVU's bowl game. I could care less honestly. Nothing really excited me this year.

feltdizz
01-07-2009, 12:52 PM
I haven't even watched a game since I was at WVU's bowl game. I could care less honestly. Nothing really excited me this year.

but you went to all the way to a bowl game but flipping a game on is boring?

I can dig it.

calmkiller
01-07-2009, 01:10 PM

but you went to all the way to a bowl game but flipping a game on is boring?

I can dig it.

WVU was in the bowl game. WVU isn't on TV. I usually don't even have the TV turned on in the evenings. If I am watching anything its on my computer. So I don't keep up with who is playing at what time other than WVU and Steelers.

flippy
01-07-2009, 02:05 PM
I was only interested in the Pitt, Penn State, and Tyrell Pryor games.

The all lost of course.

AkronSteel
01-07-2009, 02:36 PM
The BCS is killing college football. They really need to go to a playoff system! They say that they don't want the regular season to be meaningless but all the bowl games that have been played the last couple weeks are meaningless. It just kills me that teams like USC and Utah don't get a chance at the national championship because computers and people don't feel like they are worthy of a spot in the game.....what a joke?!?!? I think they need to go to a 16 team playoff where all the conference champions (no matter what conference) get a spot in the playoffs. Then the remaining spots would be filled by at-large teams. So you would have 11 conference champions and 5 at-large teams! Notre Dame since they are the spoiled ones, errrr an independent, would get an automatic bid if they were ranked above 12 in the AP rankings at the end of the year!

This year the seeding would look something like this:

1 - Oklahoma
16 - Troy

8 - Cincinnati
9 - Boise State

4 - Penn State
13 - Virginia Tech

5 - Utah
12 - Texas Tech*

3 - USC
14 - Georgia*

6 - Texas*
11 - TCU

7 - Alabama*
10 - Ohio State*

2 - Florida
15 - Buffalo

* indicates at-large teams

This scenario gives every team in the country a chance at the national title. If you win your conference then you are in. For the bigger conference teams they get a chance to win a national title with an at-large bid, if they show they are worthy of being in the tournament. The tournament would be played over a four week period spanning December and January....heck we're stuck watching crap bowl games for the long anyway. They could start the season sooner, say last week in August....remove one of the regular season games since it is usually a useless mismatch anyway and let the kids decide their fate on the field. The early round games could be played on Friday night and Saturday, so not to conflict with the NFL. This is a much better system, in my opinion, than what is currently deciding such a big part of sports in our country.

MeetJoeGreene
01-07-2009, 02:41 PM
That looks good, but you left out Notre Dame. :D :stirpot

The BCS is killing college football. They really need to go to a playoff system! They say that they don't want the regular season to be meaningless but all the bowl games that have been played the last couple weeks are meaningless. It just kills me that teams like USC and Utah don't get a chance at the national championship because computers and people don't feel like they are worthy of a spot in the game.....what a joke?!?!? I think they need to go to a 16 team playoff where all the conference champions (no matter what conference) get a spot in the playoffs. Then the remaining spots would be filled by at-large teams. So you would have 11 conference champions and 5 at-large teams! Notre Dame since they are the spoiled ones, errrr an independent, would get an automatic bid if they were ranked above 12 in the AP rankings at the end of the year!

This year the seeding would look something like this:

1 - Oklahoma
16 - Troy

8 - Cincinnati
9 - Boise State

4 - Penn State
13 - Virginia Tech

5 - Utah
12 - Texas Tech*

3 - USC
14 - Georgia*

6 - Texas*
11 - TCU

7 - Alabama*
10 - Ohio State*

2 - Florida
15 - Buffalo

* indicates at-large teams

This scenario gives every team in the country a chance at the national title. If you win your conference then you are in. For the bigger conference teams they get a chance to win a national title with an at-large bid, if they show they are worthy of being in the tournament. The tournament would be played over a four week period spanning December and January....heck we're stuck watching crap bowl games for the long anyway. They could start the season sooner, say last week in August....remove one of the regular season games since it is usually a useless mismatch anyway and let the kids decide their fate on the field. The early round games could be played on Friday night and Saturday, so not to conflict with the NFL. This is a much better system, in my opinion, than what is currently deciding such a big part of sports in our country.

feltdizz
01-07-2009, 04:30 PM
sounds good as far as the top 16 but I think the top 12 with the top 4 getting a bye would work better...

that way 11 champs get in and the top indie team gets in.... it would force ND to either get in the big 10 or never smell a playoff ever again. I hate'em...

any way... I really don't want to see Troy or 4 SEC teams in a playoff.. every year the SEC claims 3 teams who are BCS title contenders...and 2 of them end up getting blown out in their bowl against "so-called" lesser competition.

Only the winner of the conference should be able to compete for the BCS title IMO...

mshifko
01-07-2009, 04:43 PM
i'll watch...but i'm not excited about the game i'll tell you that...after what happened monday night and what happened to pitt, i'll probably stick to xbox 360 for the night

feltdizz
01-07-2009, 05:04 PM
i'll watch...but i'm not excited about the game i'll tell you that...after what happened monday night and what happened to pitt, i'll probably stick to xbox 360 for the night

dude you can't be mad about either of those games... Pitt looked so bad, well the QB and play calling that is.. that you have to think Cavanaugh was paid off or Shady is going pro so we limited his touches. Lately I'm seeing a lot of "NFL leaning" players getting hurt right before bowl games...

and tOSU
I really think the Vest lost 3 straight cause he kept going to Beckman.. that guy just doesn't have it as a QB IMO... Pryor showed what tOSU has missed... speed and escapability... dude can't throw for tihs though...

agdci981
01-07-2009, 08:35 PM

Texas "should have been in the Championship game... but the way Texas and Texas Tech played didn't bode well for the Big 12 IMO...

I don't understand why USC had no shot at a title with 1 loss... I really don't see how they pick who is the better "1-loss team.
Pretty simple....USC lost to Oregon State who is a lesser team than Texas.

The only time I feel sorry for any team crying about how they should get a shot at the national title game is when a team like Utah goes undefeated and blows out a top team like Bama and still has no shot. THAT is only time. USC...you want to play for national title, then go undefeated in your conference and don't lose to a team like Oregon State. It is that simple.

AkronSteel
01-07-2009, 10:30 PM
sounds good as far as the top 16 but I think the top 12 with the top 4 getting a bye would work better...

that way 11 champs get in and the top indie team gets in.... it would force ND to either get in the big 10 or never smell a playoff ever again. I hate'em...

any way... I really don't want to see Troy or 4 SEC teams in a playoff.. every year the SEC claims 3 teams who are BCS title contenders...and 2 of them end up getting blown out in their bowl against "so-called" lesser competition.

Only the winner of the conference should be able to compete for the BCS title IMO...

I just think that a 16 team playoff gives other teams the oppurtunity to play for the title. I hear what you are saying about the SEC and maybe a limit of 2 per conference would help that like the BCS has now. I actually looked at it the other way b/c I felt that Texas Tech got cheated this year because they lost one game and then didn't get a BCS bid because of the 2 per conference rule. I thought they should have played in the BCS above the Buckeyes and I'm an Ohio State fan. I just thought Texas Tech was a more deserving team.

:2c

Ghost
01-08-2009, 09:42 AM
I'll watch tonight because I think it wil be a good game but, damn, they drag the bowl games on ridiculously long. I know they are trying to peak interest and have the game by itself but my Christmas decorations are down, I'm back to work from the holidays, and the first week of the NFL playoffs have occurred. I'm over college football for the season. Take this game back to New Year's Day.

mshifko
01-08-2009, 04:52 PM

dude you can't be mad about either of those games... Pitt looked so bad, well the QB and play calling that is.. that you have to think Cavanaugh was paid off or Shady is going pro so we limited his touches. Lately I'm seeing a lot of "NFL leaning" players getting hurt right before bowl games...

and tOSU
I really think the Vest lost 3 straight cause he kept going to Beckman.. that guy just doesn't have it as a QB IMO... Pryor showed what tOSU has missed... speed and escapability... dude can't throw for tihs though...

the pitt game was a disgrace...cavanaugh's gameplan was horrific...stull is not a division 1 QB...

as for the tOSU game...boeckman should have played a little bit more actually, i love pryor but he couldn't complete a hitch route against texas...pryor will be a major contributor next year and will win a ton of games as a buckeye...i'm not a big fan of tressel in big games, oh well as said as it is i'll take that game over a shalacking on the national stage

Lebsteel
01-08-2009, 05:59 PM
I will definitely be watching. I love college football. WE ARE Penn State! We need more Nittany Lions on the Steelers :Clap :tt1

Well, OK, maybe not, but I would like to see us draft Gerald Cadogan, the PSU LT. Very bright guy as well as a very good Offensive Lineman.

I think Florida will probably win because there defense is a little tougher and they have the ultimate weapon, TEBOW!

feltdizz
01-08-2009, 06:52 PM

The only time I feel sorry for any team crying about how they should get a shot at the national title game is when a team like Utah goes undefeated and blows out a top team like Bama and still has no shot. THAT is only time. USC...you want to play for national title, then go undefeated in your conference and don't lose to a team like Oregon State. It is that simple.

I disagree on the Oregon State loss.. What makes Florida's loss to Ole Miss any better?

and as we see the Big 12 was over rated this year thus far...

Utah deserved a shot but we didn't know it until after the beat down of Alabama...
there is no reason they shouldn't get votes though.. especially if the game is a struggle or looks like the Texas vs. Ohio State game.

if USC has to go undefeated then why shouldn't OU or Florida?

steelz09
01-08-2009, 07:34 PM

So Oklahoma should get in because they run up the score when the games are out of hand? That's why they got in. I've seen several times this year where USC "let up" (including against Penn St... and i like psu) where they could have continued to throw the ball and run up the score but didn't. Texas barely beat a team that USC absolutely dominated. Utah got screwed too. The BCS and college football in general is a joke until they get a playoff system. It shouldn't matter who that 1-loss team is against.. anyone can have a let-down game.. a loss is a loss is a loss...

And to be honest, I don't want to hear :) the argument about the pac being terrible and such. The SEC hasn't exactly lit things up this bowl season. Honestly, I think teams such as USC would do just as well in the SEC because they have to PREPARE each game because they're facing better talent. And lets face it, athletically, and talent wise.. Florida is the only team that rivals them.

I feel that USC gets to confident and think these slouch teams can't beat them before the game even starts and thats why they have that let down. Too confident...

I'd be much more interested if the game was Florida vs. USC ... but either way college football sucks

steelz09
01-08-2009, 07:46 PM
Oh, and one more thing about college football.

Ever since super midget "or whatever you call it" football (youngest age) coaches teach good sportsmanship.

Then, in the NFL, sportsmanship is brought up again. Teams "kneel" when the game is over because there's no need to score again.. GAME OVER.

However, in COLLEGE football, you have to RUN up the points because the COMPUTER doesn't know the difference, it likes "STYLE POINTS". The concept of needing "STYLE POINTS" is ridiculous and completely goes against the concept of "SPORTSMANSHIP". Why is it necessary to score another touchdown when the scores 53-7? Because, the COMPUTER says so, thats why... But yet any human being watching the game knows theres no difference and that you wouldn't reward a team an extra point (or whatever it is) because they scored again and made it 60-7. It's sad. I would think that our society is more intelligent than that and the right people would realize that its unfair and inaccurate.

There is no sportsmanship in college, none at all, as long as the BCS is involved. And it's sad that every other level (including the NFL) preaches sportsmanship but the "true academic, college" level doesn't...

Chachi
01-08-2009, 09:55 PM
I will not watch.

But, I have never been much for college football anyway.

I saw the last quarter of the Texas-OS game and that is it for bowl games.

Heck, that was it for college football this entire year.

It does nothing for me.

Ok.... lied.

I found a feed from FOX sports on line that shows multiple angles.

I am watching the entire game from the overhead cable cam.

From this angle you really get a much better feel for just how fast everything is.

No announcers. No stats. No graphics. No Commercials. just straight from the cable cam.

I wish I could watch every steeler game like this.

Here is the link...

http://bcs.foxsports.com/

AkronSteel
01-09-2009, 01:08 AM
Turned out to be a great game. Glad I tuned in! Either way this system needs fixed because I still feel like the true champion isn't resolved. How cool would it be for Utah to face Florida next week? Urban Meyer against his former team! It would be fun!!!

:2c

Steel Life
01-09-2009, 01:40 AM

Ever since super midget "or whatever you call it" football (youngest age) coaches teach good sportsmanship.

Then, in the NFL, sportsmanship is brought up again. Teams "kneel" when the game is over because there's no need to score again.. GAME OVER.

However, in COLLEGE football, you have to RUN up the points because the COMPUTER doesn't know the difference, it likes "STYLE POINTS". The concept of needing "STYLE POINTS" is ridiculous and completely goes against the concept of "SPORTSMANSHIP". Why is it necessary to score another touchdown when the scores 53-7? Because, the COMPUTER says so, thats why... But yet any human being watching the game knows theres no difference and that you wouldn't reward a team an extra point (or whatever it is) because they scored again and made it 60-7. It's sad. I would think that our society is more intelligent than that and the right people would realize that its unfair and inaccurate.

There is no sportsmanship in college, none at all, as long as the BCS is involved. And it's sad that every other level (including the NFL) preaches sportsmanship but the "true academic, college" level doesn't...
Just a quick correction...the BCS computer factors DOWN margin of victory, it's the human voters - the same ones who admitted they didn't watch Utah - who are more influenced by running up the score. But you are right - the ideal of amateur sportsmanship has been ruined by the ranking system & relentless hype.

Hype is why I don't really care for college football. The rankings are hype based on speculation, the records are based on hype by running over out-classed teams, the awards are hype based upon inflated numbers & sports information directors, the championship is based on hype where pandering & scheming to get votes is accepted. Not to mention that the BCS has the complicity of the sports media to build up the best money-generating, publicity-garnering teams, conferences & players at the expense of
others. Look what's happened to the Heisman...shouldn't winning the POY trophy be more than the joke it's become? College football at it's heart is exciting & fun - take in a William & Mary game on a crisp Saturday afternoon to remember - but not when it's being run like the beauty pageant it's become...you know the drill - Miss Utah is always a runner-up, but always finishes behind the likes of Miss Florida, Miss California & Miss Texas.

So some things to ponder as the Fox Sports Tebow-hype machine ("he's one of the 5 greatest players ever!"...my a$$) blathers on.
- Why does USC's loss to Oregon St. mean more than Florida's loss to Ole Miss?
- Why is Oklahoma running up the score an issue, but Florida waxing Citadel (70-19), Kentucky (63-5), Hawaii (56-10) isn't?
- Why is Tebow being credited with two national championships when Chris Leak was the starting QB that season & took 80% of the snaps in the championship game?
- If beating Alabama made Florida #1 even with one loss, then what does that make Utah?

birtikidis
01-09-2009, 10:45 AM

Just a quick correction...the BCS computer factors DOWN margin of victory, it's the human voters - the same ones who admitted they didn't watch Utah - who are more influenced by running up the score. But you are right - the ideal of amateur sportsmanship has been ruined by the ranking system & relentless hype.

Hype is why I don't really care for college football. The rankings are hype based on speculation, the records are based on hype by running over out-classed teams, the awards are hype based upon inflated numbers & sports information directors, the championship is based on hype where pandering & scheming to get votes is accepted. Not to mention that the BCS has the complicity of the sports media to build up the best money-generating, publicity-garnering teams, conferences & players at the expense of
others. Look what's happened to the Heisman...shouldn't winning the POY trophy be more than the joke it's become? College football at it's heart is exciting & fun - take in a William & Mary game on a crisp Saturday afternoon to remember - but not when it's being run like the beauty pageant it's become...you know the drill - Miss Utah is always a runner-up, but always finishes behind the likes of Miss Florida, Miss California & Miss Texas.

So some things to ponder as the Fox Sports Tebow-hype machine ("he's one of the 5 greatest players ever!"...my a$$) blathers on.
I take it you haven't watched Tebow?
because USC faces a much smoother road in the PAC 10 then Florida does in the SEC
- Why is Oklahoma running up the score an issue, but Florida waxing Citadel (70-19), Kentucky (63-5), Hawaii (56-10) isn't?
because Florida pulls their starters when the score is lopsided, Oklahoma didn't
- Why is Tebow being credited with two national championships when Chris Leak was the starting QB that season & took 80% of the snaps in the championship game?
if you watched UF that year, you would see how crucial those snaps were for UF. Leak was important during the season, but how often do you hear announces talk about players from a few years ago?
- If beating Alabama made Florida #1 even with one loss, then what does that make Utah?
probably #4 behind texas and usc. If you want to be considered for the national championship, get out of your joke of a conference or schedule more difficult out of conference games.

overall I hate the BCS and wish we had a playoff system, but, i don't see us getting one.

Iron Shiek
01-09-2009, 11:46 AM
It won't happen soon, but it will happen. It seems this thing has legs in congress...I saw an article on cnn.com on 1/8/09 where not only the president and the texas representative are harping on about this, but its gaining steam as an unlawful setup for the big conferences to only be getting a shot at the big money that bcs games bring. 2011 or 2014 would be the first chances that the playoff gets any full steam. I think 2011 is the last year of ESPN's new BCS tv deal. And 2014 is the last year of the BCS agreement in general. (I hope I didn't get any of those facts wrong, its what i remember from the article.)

steelz09
01-09-2009, 02:14 PM

I take it you haven't watched Tebow?
because USC faces a much smoother road in the PAC 10 then Florida does in the SEC
because Florida pulls their starters when the score is lopsided, Oklahoma didn't
if you watched UF that year, you would see how crucial those snaps were for UF. Leak was important during the season, but how often do you hear announces talk about players from a few years ago?
probably #4 behind texas and usc. If you want to be considered for the national championship, get out of your joke of a conference or schedule more difficult out of conference games.

overall I hate the BCS and wish we had a playoff system, but, i don't see us getting one.

You must be a UF fan. Congrats on the win but I'm not convinced that they were the best in the country. Unless its overwhelming, I'm never convinced in college football. I agree that its exciting but knowing the "bowl" setup and how the rankings work, I completely lose interest It's the same argument year in and year out but yet college football doesn't do anything about it. In my eyes, its a joke.

We are all Steelers fans (and obvious NFL fans) so I ask you does this logic work?

If we beat the Ravens and the Ravens beat the Titans does that mean we would have beaten the Titans? No, right? It's all about matchups and how these teams matchup offensively, defensively, etc against their opponent. But college football utilizes that logic when ranking teams for the national championship.. it just doesn't make sense.

People are utilizing that logic to say Utah should be the champion or play in a championship which I can't blame them. Texas is doing the same thing by saying they beat Oklahoma. Well, Oklahoma beat TT so they have the same argument right back at Texas. Then USC can say to Texas, that you beat Oklahoma, and you barely won against a OSU team that we dominated, so we should be in the big game. The argument can be used over and over again.

It's just sad how it works at the collegiate football level.

Iron Shiek
01-09-2009, 03:30 PM
Yeah it just doesn't work. Didn't Oregon St beat USC? But Penn St beat Oregon St. But USC beat Penn St. Non sense at its best...stupid college football voting/polls/bcs can all go to hel!

Steel Life
01-10-2009, 12:32 AM
Birt...I live in Florida, I get to hear how wonderful Tebow is 24-7 (I'm a better person just for living in the same state as him ;) ). IMO he's overrated, benefiting from a gimmick offense & a coach that loves to play the media. Utah did everything they were supposed to - they won every game (which is more than what Florida did), what else could they have done? Florida lost a game, a HOME game, to Ole Miss...yes that SEC POWERHOUSE - Ole Miss. Yet Meyer claims this to be one of the greatest teams of all time...HEY URBAN - great teams don't lose at home to Ole Miss! As for the schedule, the SEC is not the top to bottom jauggernaut it's made out to be, after all this is the same conference that has Vanderbilt, Miss St., Kentucky plus the nosediving Tennessee, Auburn & Arkansas. But then-again, I'm sure Tebow could beat them all single-handed anyway just like he beat Oklahoma last night.

The kind of BS we're hearing now is why I love the NFL - there are no rankings...everything is settled on the field.

birtikidis
01-20-2009, 12:08 AM
Steel I live in Gainesville so i feel what you're saying, BUT to say that Tebow is overrated is ridiculous. is saying that Tebow is the best college football player ever (during his 3rd season) any worse than saying that Lebron James is the best ever in the NBA 2 weeks into his 1st season? and yea we should have beaten Ole miss (if you want to claim to be the best). But anyone who says the SEC isn't the toughest conference in college football doesn't watch college football. There's a reason 3 of the last 4 National champs came from the SEC. it's that good.
the only reason i feel sorry for Utah is because the only tough team they scheduled (UM) sucked this year.