PDA

View Full Version : Harbaugh: Reed deserves to be Defensive Player of the Year

JAR
01-06-2009, 08:02 PM
the whole team is a bunch of whiners, from harbaugh down to Suggs.

Ravens coach John Harbaugh claims The Associated Press made a mistake when it named Pittsburgh linebacker James Harrison the league's top defensive player.

"I think Ed Reed deserves to be the Defensive Player of the Year, without question," he said at the team's Owings Mills training complex on Monday. "Football teams win when great players play well."

And Reed played great throughout a 27-9 win over the Dolphins, making two interceptions, including returning one 64 yards for a touchdown. His performance earned the Ravens (12-5) a trip to the second round of the playoffs to face top-seeded Tennessee (13-3) on Saturday afternoon at 4:30 in Nashville.

Reed, who had 41 tackles and an NFL-best nine interceptions this season, finished third in voting behind Harrison (101 tackles, 16 sacks, seven forced fumbles) and Dallas linebacker DeMarcus Ware (84 tackles, 20 sacks), whose team didn't make the playoffs.

"He's the greatest safety in the game and he's proven that week in and week out," linebacker Terrell Suggs said. "We as a team are disappointed that he didn't get the NFL Defensive Player of the Year award."

Miami quarterback Chad Pennington won the league's Comeback Player of the Year award, Atlanta quarterback Matt Ryan and New England linebacker Jerod Mayo were the offensive and defensive Rookie of the Year and Peyton Manning was the league's Most Valuable Player. All four, however, are watching the playoffs from home.

"Almost everyone who has won an individual award is either out of the playoffs or they didn't make it at all," Suggs said. "We commend them on winning their individual award, but we are trying to win a bigger award as a team."

http://www.baltimoreexaminer.com/sports ... ebook.html (http://www.baltimoreexaminer.com/sports/010609notebook.html)

Ozey74
01-06-2009, 08:57 PM
Harbaugh = :Binky

frunko1
01-06-2009, 09:12 PM
To counter his argument
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXkDAQnnNbc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3uM3d42b6M

In closing
:ratsuck

:tt1 :tt1 :tt1

mshifko
01-06-2009, 09:36 PM
i thought harbaugh was a crybaby after the holmes TD...their whole whines...

the right guy won the award, no doubt about it

proudpittsburgher
01-06-2009, 09:42 PM
eh, what do you want him to say. When it is all said and done, his players are the only ones who really matter to him. I suppose he could have kept his mouth shut though. The individual achievements are what makes teams like the Colts/Cowboys/etc watch the super bowl from their couches every season.

Ezekiel 25:17
01-06-2009, 09:49 PM
And I'd argue that Troy is a better safety. Reed is a ball hawk, but Troy is a more complete player, and I'd argue that he's more feared by offensive players than Reed.

My opinion, and it may be homerish, but what the hell. It's what I think.

agdci981
01-06-2009, 09:53 PM

No he wasn't. He gave the Steelers credit for that win.

mshifko
01-06-2009, 10:14 PM

go back and listen to his post game man...tomlin doesn't sound like that after a loss

JAR
01-06-2009, 10:16 PM

Ravens notebook: Harbaugh still not satisfied with official explanation

OWINGS MILLS -- Baltimore Ravens coach John Harbaugh finally got his explanation from the NFL brass regarding referee Walt Coleman's controversial decision to award Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Santonio Holmes with a game-winning touchdown following an instant-replay review.

And it's safe to say that after talking with NFL director of officiating Mike Pereira that Harbaugh still isn't satisfied or believes that the football broke the plane of the goal line when Holmes tapped his cleats inside the end zone. Harbaugh was cautious in his comments Monday after candidly stating Sunday night after the Ravens' 13-9 loss that he didn't think it was a touchdown.

"They just explained it as being a call that was overturned, and they felt like it broke the plane when his feet were down," Harbaugh said Monday after a defeat that won the Steelers the AFC North title. "That's the way it was explained to me."

"It didn't look to me as if the ball crossed the plane," Harbaugh said. "I asked for an explanation, but no one was explaining too much at that point in time."

After reviewing the game, Harbaugh declined to reveal whether his opinion had changed even though it's pretty obvious that he remains unconvinced that there was indisputable video evidence that the original no-touchdown call should have been overturned.

http://www.carrollcountytimes.com/artic ... 121608.txt (http://www.carrollcountytimes.com/articles/2008/12/16/sports/dsports121608.txt)

Chadman
01-06-2009, 10:31 PM
Both players were awesome & instrumental to their team's success.

This is a good argument for a tie, if you ask Chadman- both deserve rewards for the year's effort.

And both were as important as P.Manning.

stlrz d
01-06-2009, 11:36 PM
And I'd argue that Troy is a better safety. Reed is a ball hawk, but Troy is a more complete player, and I'd argue that he's more feared by offensive players than Reed.

My opinion, and it may be homerish, but what the hell. It's what I think.

Mike Golic agreed with you tonight on ESPN. They talked about Reed, Dawkins and Troy. He said Reed was the best centerfielder, Dawkins the guy who brings it in run support and Troy as the guy who does both incredibly well.

buckeyehoppy
01-06-2009, 11:47 PM

Wasn't Eddie Peed the guy marking S'Tonio on that play?

No wonder Harbaugh is a :Binky and a :loser

If they win on Saturday, it'll be nice to own the Rattards a third time. It'll be just like the Bucks owning scUM...it never gets old!

NorthCoast
01-07-2009, 12:33 AM
Again, you must ask the question do offenses gameplan for the player? In Reed's case I don't have enough info to answer honestly but my sense is that O's might not change their playcalling against Reed but the QB will always make sure he is aware of where Reed is located. So in that sense Reed does influence the playcalling somewhat. On the other hand, we have seen enough O's change their blocking schemes specifically for Harrison to know that he is a factor in just about every game and on every defensive play (and not just pass plays).

Steel Life
01-07-2009, 12:44 AM
A safety with less than 50 tackles in a season doesn't deserve to win DPOY. Reed gets play only because of the highlight INT's not his total play, he won DPOY in 2004 this way when Farrior was the more deserving candidate.

Reed plays 20 yards off & reacts to what he sees, Troy plays all over & forces the action...I'll stick with Troy.

stlrz d
01-07-2009, 12:50 AM
I gotta give Ed the edge in 2004. 76 tackles and 9 picks, among other things. He deserved that one but Silverback clearly deserves this one.

As for Harbaugh, I don't think he really said anything inflammatory, but he shouldn't have said it because the coaches will use this as extra motivation for the next Steelers/Ravens meeting, whenever that may be.

NorthCoast
01-07-2009, 01:01 AM
I will say one thing about motivation. If we do meet Bmore again and Ed Reed is returning kicks, he better pray that Harrison sits out playing ST that day cause I think Harrison would like to send a message to him (and the message won't be too kind).

VirgilBosett
01-07-2009, 12:32 PM
True that Harbaugh is saying what is expected, but doesnít sound like heís giving any credit to Harrison at all. Mistake.

Suggs is an idiot criminal. Heís saying what is expected from him because heís an idiot. Ed Reed isnít the DPOY, and heís not the best Safety in the league......or the Conference/Division for that matter. Reed is a great ball hawk with good return skills.......as long as 86 isnít around.

feltdizz
01-07-2009, 12:41 PM

you sure are quick to defend other teams coaches :wft just come out already!

stlrz d
01-07-2009, 01:02 PM
True that Harbaugh is saying what is expected, but doesnít sound like heís giving any credit to Harrison at all. Mistake.

Suggs is an idiot criminal. Heís saying what is expected from him because heís an idiot. Ed Reed isnít the DPOY, and heís not the best Safety in the league......or the Conference/Division for that matter. Reed is a great ball hawk with good return skills.......as long as 86 isnít around.

Good point.

RuthlessBurgher
01-07-2009, 01:23 PM
Let's see...James Harrison busts up the Ravens for 3.5 sacks, 2 forced fumbles, and an INT in a game in November of '07. In that game, Reed was responsible for one of those fumbles when he was crushed by Harrison on a punt return. Reed was also left woozy by a block doled out by Hines Ward later in that same game.

This season, under a new coaching staff, they start using formations involving 3 tackles on their o-line at the same time to better protect their rookie QB. In September of '08, Harrison still has 2.5 sacks and a forced fumble.

They change offensive philosophies in an effort to contain Harrison, and it still doesn't work. We contain Reed by smacking him around like a little beeyotch...that works. But Harbaugh thinks Reed is the more deserving DPOY. Interesting logic.

agdci981
01-07-2009, 02:04 PM

I am simple stating a fact. I watched his postgame PC on NFL Network right after the game and he gave the Steelers credit for the win. Hell, many Steelers fans even admitted that they didnt think there was enough evidence on that play to overturn the call on the field and award the Steelers a TD. I just call it like it is.

Steeler Mafia
01-07-2009, 03:14 PM

I am simple stating a fact. I watched his postgame PC on NFL Network right after the game and he gave the Steelers credit for the win. Hell, many Steelers fans even admitted that they didnt think there was enough evidence on that play to overturn the call on the field and award the Steelers a TD. I just call it like it is.

You sure got that right! :Clap

Steelgal
01-07-2009, 04:00 PM
All Harbaugh had to say was something like "that's what the voters decided". He didn't have to say he disagreed with the choice. He has every right to his opinion, but to state it publicly and disrespect Harrison in the process is rude for a coach to do.

I'm sure there were MANY times this year when asked about the officials that Tomlin would have liked to give his real opinion, but instead chose to not comment on the question and be respectful. Harbaugh could take a lesson from Tomlin in that regard.

agdci981
01-07-2009, 04:28 PM
All Harbaugh had to say was something like "that's what the voters decided". He didn't have to say he disagreed with the choice. He has every right to his opinion, but to state it publicly and disrespect Harrison in the process is rude for a coach to do.

I'm sure there were MANY times this year when asked about the officials that Tomlin would have liked to give his real opinion, but instead chose to not comment on the question and be respectful. Harbaugh could take a lesson from Tomlin in that regard.
After the Chargers game Tomlin adamently talked about how he had never seen 13 penalties to 1 in a game before. When else has the officiating been so bad as to warrant a response from him outside of fines in the days after a game??

feltdizz
01-07-2009, 04:44 PM
I have no problem with Harbaugh saying Reed should have been DPOY...

dude has won a lot of games for them as well...

It's not disrespectful either... no more disrespectful then a coach saying their player should have made the pro bowl... which essentially means someone else shouldn't have or didn't deserve it.

mshifko
01-07-2009, 04:46 PM

After the Chargers game Tomlin adamently talked about how he had never seen 13 penalties to 1 in a game before. When else has the officiating been so bad as to warrant a response from him outside of fines in the days after a game??

totally different scenarios...when we lose, tomlin doesn't make excuses...harbaugh on the other hand...

feltdizz
01-07-2009, 04:48 PM

every coach gives the bogus credit.. except Holmgren and Billicheat...

but I also remember Harbaugh being very clear that he didn't think it was a TD....

feltdizz
01-07-2009, 04:52 PM

totally different scenarios...when we lose, tomlin doesn't make excuses...harbaugh on the other hand...

true... when you win answer the obvious question asked.. have you ever seen 13 to 1? No

kinda different then when you lose and don't think the other team scored....

agdci981
01-07-2009, 07:57 PM
true... when you win answer the obvious question asked.. have you ever seen 13 to 1? No

kinda different then when you lose and don't think the other team scored....
Yes, but if the Steelers lost the game then do you think Tomlin handles it the same way? He was angry enough about it after a WIN and mentioned it...imagine after a loss?