PDA

View Full Version : Current Most Underrated Steelers Player

flippy
01-06-2009, 05:16 PM
Name him and why?

Iron Shiek
01-06-2009, 05:22 PM
Keyaron Fox. We give him his props here, but he isn't very noticed much outside of Steelers fans. Dude is in on every ST tackle it seems to me.

Great signing.

Steeler Mafia
01-06-2009, 05:25 PM
:Agree

mshifko
01-06-2009, 05:33 PM
honestly, i would say that ryan clark is the most underrated player on this team...he's been nothing but steady for us...he is good in coverage, hits hard, and has the ability to make big plays on the defensive side of the ball

Jom112
01-06-2009, 05:34 PM
Depends on what audience you're talking about.

For non-steeler fans it's probably Aaron Smith.

For steeler fans it's probably Nate Washington or Larry Foote. Maybe not Nate anymore after this season...

BURGH86STEEL
01-06-2009, 05:35 PM
honestly, i would say that ryan clark is the most underrated player on this team...he's been nothing but steady for us...he is good in coverage, hits hard, and has the ability to make big plays on the defensive side of the ball

I agree with you.

flippy
01-06-2009, 06:06 PM
how about brett keisel?

i think he plays more and more like smitty every game.

BigLebowski
01-06-2009, 06:16 PM
Mewelde Moore always seems to be getting first downs with that extra yard or inch.

SidSmythe
01-06-2009, 06:46 PM
Jeff Reed

mshifko
01-06-2009, 06:48 PM
Jeff Reed
he is clutch...similiar to a sidsmythe post

Chadman
01-06-2009, 06:48 PM
Max Starks.... :stirpot

SidSmythe
01-06-2009, 06:56 PM

You know, he was the first player that wasn't mentioned that came to my mind ...
if he was being paid the NFL minimum salary it might be different. But at his pay scale, he's overrated, If you know what i mean.

BUT OVERALL he's playing very well but many of us aren't over his contract debacle just yet.

Steeler Shades
01-06-2009, 06:58 PM
Ben R.
The starting Steeler QB is always underrated. 8)

grotonsteel
01-06-2009, 07:03 PM
Anthony Madison - He is always there first to tackle...He has improved a lot...

SteelerOfDeVille
01-06-2009, 07:23 PM

For steeler fans it's probably Nate Washington or Larry Foote. Maybe not Nate anymore after this season...

Prety much spot on (excluding Foote). I was gonna say it depended on whether you were talking steeler fans or no steeler fans... Smith would have been for non-steeler fans, IMO...

Washington would have been on my short list for Steeler fans... Clark probably would have been my other one.

RuthlessBurgher
01-06-2009, 07:25 PM
Two guys who you never thought all that much about until they were gone...Sepulveda seemed like the most underrated Steeler during Ernster's seemingly endless string of 20-something yard punts, and Greg Warren was pretty darn underrated until he went down during the Giants' game.

SteelerNation1
01-06-2009, 07:28 PM
I don't think Ike T gets enough credit. Sure, he doesn't have the INTs, but he was downright awesome this year. Should've been a probowler IMO.

RuthlessBurgher
01-06-2009, 07:32 PM
I don't think Ike T gets enough credit. Sure, he doesn't have the INTs, but he was downright awesome this year. Should've been a probowler IMO.

Says the man in the 24 jersey...whoda thunk it? :wink:

ghettoscott
01-06-2009, 07:53 PM
National level - Hines Ward; Aaron Smith

Personal - McFadden

SteelerNation1
01-06-2009, 08:37 PM

Says the man in the 24 jersey...whoda thunk it? :wink:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
That's why I bought the jersey. I figured as soon as I bought it and the national TV audience started seeing me where it on Sundays, the Pro Bowl votes would come rolllin in. :wink:

SteelerNation1
01-06-2009, 08:38 PM
Personal - McFadden
McFadden wont feel underrated when he signs a MONSTER contract this offseason...mark it down.

Jom112
01-06-2009, 08:45 PM

Prety much spot on (excluding Foote). I was gonna say it depended on whether you were talking steeler fans or no steeler fans... Smith would have been for non-steeler fans, IMO...

Washington would have been on my short list for Steeler fans... Clark probably would have been my other one.

I know Foote has kind of disappeared compared to Timmons as the season went on, but I still think he is a solid LB. I think he'll make some big plays in the playoffs.

Hopefully he'll get released after the season and the Bengals will try to get him...

pittpete
01-06-2009, 08:59 PM
Ryan Clarke
Has the most fire on this team

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-06-2009, 10:03 PM

Good post Jom. However, instead of "underrated" perhaps it should be referred to as under-appreciated when it comes to the Steeler fans selections.

Jooser
01-06-2009, 10:05 PM
Heath Miller - the guys rarely drops a ball and can always be counted on in the clutch....

Mick'sTeam
01-06-2009, 10:20 PM
I've always said that Aaron smith is the most underrated player in the entire NFL. With that said, he's got to be the most underrated in his own lockerroom. Should have definitely been a Pro Bowler this year.

buckeyehoppy
01-06-2009, 10:45 PM

Been feastin' on koala again, eh, mate?

buckeyehoppy
01-06-2009, 10:52 PM

SN1, I'll buy that to the degree that he probably needed to catch a few of the INTs he had in his hands. He has gone toe-to-toe w/some of the league's best and has looked none the worse for the wear.

SidSmythe
01-06-2009, 10:55 PM
Jeff Reed
he is clutch...similiar to a sidsmythe post

Nice, very nice!! :Agree

buckeyehoppy
01-06-2009, 10:55 PM

I know Foote has kind of disappeared compared to Timmons as the season went on, but I still think he is a solid LB. I think he'll make some big plays in the playoffs.

Hopefully he'll get released after the season and the Bengals will try to get him...

Footie probably returns to Detroit to right that ship after winning a second ring! :tt1

Sorry JOM, but you can console yourself by getting Oher :D

buckeyehoppy
01-06-2009, 11:06 PM
Most Underrated:

Offense: Heath Miller: all this guy does is make plays and look good doing it. Talk about your "should-be" Pro Bowlers, he definitely fits that profile. Will probably hit the jackpot when he becomes a FA.

Defense: Ryan Clark: considering what he has come back from, his level of play is astounding. Maybe not quite Pro Bowl caliber, but real close. Gets lost in the discussion between Troy and the others in the DBackfield.

Special Teams: Kiki Fox: next to MM, probably the best FA pickup this year. Needs to be re-signed to a long-term deal in the off-season because every team needs a ST player like him who can also give you competent bench depth at LB.

Chadman
01-06-2009, 11:48 PM

Was pretty sure that would get a response from you... :D

Steel Life
01-07-2009, 12:48 AM
First, last & always Aaron Smith...with a nod to Ike.

Here's hoping the Pro-Bowl coach gets AS to the showcase. :Cheers

Big Kahuna Burgher
01-07-2009, 12:48 AM
Which NFL DB had the most tackle assists this season?

Nope not Troy, the most under rated Steeler Ryan Clark.

buckeyehoppy
01-07-2009, 12:50 AM

Was pretty sure that would get a response from you... :D

But koalas are cute looking. I don't know 'bout tasty. But cute, to be sure!

OK, maybe not as cute as>>> :Boobs >>>but still cute.

BTW, :Boobs is underrated!!!

RuthlessBurgher
01-07-2009, 12:11 PM
First, last & always Aaron Smith...with a nod to Ike.

Here's hoping the Pro-Bowl coach gets AS to the showcase. :Cheers

Well, Aaron should get one more chance to impress the Pro Bowl coach, when he beats up on Fisher's Titan's or Harbaugh's Ravens in the AFC Championship game.

:Beer

Oviedo
01-07-2009, 12:24 PM
Most Underrated:

Offense: Heath Miller: all this guy does is make plays and look good doing it. Talk about your "should-be" Pro Bowlers, he definitely fits that profile. Will probably hit the jackpot when he becomes a FA.

Defense: Ryan Clark: considering what he has come back from, his level of play is astounding. Maybe not quite Pro Bowl caliber, but real close. Gets lost in the discussion between Troy and the others in the DBackfield.

Special Teams: Kiki Fox: next to MM, probably the best FA pickup this year. Needs to be re-signed to a long-term deal in the off-season because every team needs a ST player like him who can also give you competent bench depth at LB.

I think you are right on with offense and defense.

Miller would be a super star if Ben would just throw the ball to him.

On Special teams: Jeff Reed. The guy is money kicking in the worst environment in the NFL for a kicker. Heinz Field is where other kickers go to die, but Reed thrives.

frankthetank1
01-07-2009, 02:27 PM
there are a bunch of players i would say are underrated clark, smith, ike but i think the two most underrated players are brett kiesel and justin hartwig. the talent at dt that hartwig has gone up against this year is amazing. imagine having mahan in there this season? kiesel had a very good season, much better than last imo. i dont consider a.smith too underrated. anyone that knows football knows how good he is

buckeyehoppy
01-08-2009, 02:23 AM
Most Underrated:

I think you are right on with offense and defense.

Miller would be a super star if Ben would just throw the ball to him.

On Special teams: Jeff Reed. The guy is money kicking in the worst environment in the NFL for a kicker. Heinz Field is where other kickers go to die, but Reed thrives.

I know where you're coming from with Skippy. I just felt Kiki came along and shored up an area of this club that was sorely lacking.

It would be nice for Skippy to be recognized for who he is: the best kicker in the AFC. If another kicker in the AFC can do what Skippy does on the Sod of Heinz, then they are welcome to prove it. Skippy already has.

agdci981
01-08-2009, 04:54 AM
On a National level, as someone else said, it is Aaron SMith. The national spotlight is never on a guy like Smith who is quiet, wont put up huge numbers in terms of tackles and sacks but stops the run as well as anyonein this league and fills his assignments better than anyone in this league.

On a local level as far as Steelers fans are concerned I would say it is Mewelde Moore. I am not sure if it just shows how ineffective a back Willie Parker is or if he is really that good but when Parker went down and Tomlin VERY WISELY went out and signed this guy he actually improved the offense. He should be seeing the bulk of the carries from now til the Super Bowl, if this team makes it that far.

Oviedo
01-08-2009, 08:51 AM
On a National level, as someone else said, it is Aaron SMith. The national spotlight is never on a guy like Smith who is quiet, wont put up huge numbers in terms of tackles and sacks but stops the run as well as anyonein this league and fills his assignments better than anyone in this league.

On a local level as far as Steelers fans are concerned I would say it is Mewelde Moore. I am not sure if it just shows how ineffective a back Willie Parker is or if he is really that good but when Parker went down and Tomlin VERY WISELY went out and signed this guy he actually improved the offense. He should be seeing the bulk of the carries from now til the Super Bowl, if this team makes it that far.

While I think Miller is underrated and underused, I agree that Moore was a solid free agent signing that we probably would not have made without Tomlin's familiarity with him and what he could contribute. For several weeks he kept our offense above water. I am howver disappointed with his returner abilities which were advertised to be more (no pun intented) than we have seen. KR needs to be a consideration for the draft this year.

Steelerphile
01-08-2009, 05:22 PM
I wouldn't say guys like AAron Smith and Heath Miller are underrated anymore. I think they have received a lot of praise and support, even if they don't have the Pro Bowls.

The guys I list will be a little unconventional.

I think Justin Hartwig is underrated. I know the OL takes much criticism but compared to Sean Mahan, who was consistently pushed back and overmatched, you don't see that this season in the middle. Hartwig might not be an All-Pro but he is a solid upgrade.

I think Keisel is underrated. He was having a very good season until his injury. If he can come back at the same level he was playing, that will make the defense even tougher.

I think Timmons is underrated. He has added another sacker and pass rusher and is good in intermediate pass coverage.

I think Nate Washington is underrated. He is a speedy receiver and can get deep and showed a lot of improvement.

I tend to think the impact of Ryan Clark is overly dramatized. Does anyone other than myself find it ironic that Tyrone Carter, who is not noted for ball skills, has three interceptions with about 10% the playing time that Clark has, who has one?

agdci981
01-08-2009, 05:42 PM

While I think Miller is underrated and underused, I agree that Moore was a solid free agent signing that we probably would not have made without Tomlin's familiarity with him and what he could contribute. For several weeks he kept our offense above water. I am howver disappointed with his returner abilities which were advertised to be more (no pun intented) than we have seen. KR needs to be a consideration for the draft this year.
After the past 8 years I am just thankful that Moore can catch the ball and/or not fumble when he advances it.

agdci981
01-08-2009, 05:43 PM
I tend to think the impact of Ryan Clark is overly dramatized. Does anyone other than myself find it ironic that Tyrone Carter, who is not noted for ball skills, has three interceptions with about 10% the playing time that Clark has, who has one?
Those picks were balls thrown or tipped right to him. I guarantee you Clark makes those picks too. I like Tyrone Carter and am comfortable with him starting but Clark is a better player.

feltdizz
01-08-2009, 07:30 PM
I used to like Carter.. but he is late on plays... he had a nice game but it was the Browns...

when he came in the league he was tagging cats and I thought he was the future.. but he has bad angles at times...

solid player though...

I think we give all our players props.. Miller gets too much props though IMO. Dude can't block... he is terrible at it yet plenty of analyst say he is a good blocker.

Hartwig on offense

and crazy enough Keisel on D. Dude stepped up after a bad year in the rover position.

Steelerphile
01-09-2009, 09:04 AM
Those picks were balls thrown or tipped right to him. I guarantee you Clark makes those picks too. I like Tyrone Carter and am comfortable with him starting but Clark is a better player.

Clark's one pick was off a deflection on a pass by Ike Taylor. So it wasn't as though he had to make a great play on his one pick either. You would think that Clark should be better in pass defense, but he had a lot of playing time and somehow he was not able to make but one interception. Yet he is often credited for being a big playmaker. I just think his ball skills get inflated in the translation.

RuthlessBurgher
01-09-2009, 11:12 AM

Clark's one pick was off a deflection on a pass by Ike Taylor. So it wasn't as though he had to make a great play on his one pick either. You would think that Clark should be better in pass defense, but he had a lot of playing time and somehow he was not able to make but one interception. Yet he is often credited for being a big playmaker. I just think his ball skills get inflated in the translation.

I wouldn't say he is a big playmaker, but we don't ask our free safety to do the things that an Ed Reed ball hawking free safety does. Our free safety is more of a big play preventer than a big playmaker. If you look at how many big pass plays we had against us last year after Clark was out with his sickle cell related spleen issues following the Denver game, vs. how few have occurred this year, that is where Clarks true value lies.

steeld95
01-09-2009, 11:59 AM
On a national level, I would have to say Ike. I think he is actually one of the most underrated players in the whole league. He is easily of the top cover corners in the league. Yet, he rarely gets any recognition outside of Steeler fans.

SteelTorch
01-09-2009, 04:00 PM
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say William Gay. Nobody ever talks about him even though he's shown a lot of talent and flash and filled in very well in McFadden's absence. It seemed most people only expected him to be nothing more than a nickel or dime CB, but I think he has the talent to be a full-fledged starter.

Jom112
01-09-2009, 04:22 PM
Not sure if anyone watched ESPN's first take this morning or not. But they had Maurice Jones Drew on there. He was talking about the remaining AFC playoff teams and which team was the toughest to run against.

When talking about Pittsburgh he said that when the Jags played them that they couldn't run to the right side because Aaron Smith was always there making tackles. He said they always had to account for him and they tried to run away from him...

frankthetank1
01-09-2009, 04:29 PM
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say William Gay. Nobody ever talks about him even though he's shown a lot of talent and flash and filled in very well in McFadden's absence. It seemed most people only expected him to be nothing more than a nickel or dime CB, but I think he has the talent to be a full-fledged starter.

i agree, when he was first drafted i didnt know anything about him so my hopes were not that high. he was awsome in special teams last season and this season he was excellent when he had to start. i think gay can start next season and do well if needed

skyhawk
01-09-2009, 07:32 PM
Clark, Moore, and Patrick Bailey.

Everyone knows how good A. Smith is.