PDA

View Full Version : James Harrison - MNF versus Ravens

flippy
01-06-2009, 04:55 PM
Anyone else think James Harrison won the DPOY because of his performance against Baltimore last season?

I bet the voters really didn't watch all the games and just picked the guy that came to mind when they thought of the Steelers. They probably remember the game they saw him play on MNF last year.

I'm glad James won and all, but I can't honestly say I'm sure he's better than Ed Reed or Demarcus Ware, etc. cause I only see those guys play occasionally. I really am not familiar with what they do week in and week out.

I suspect it's the same for the DPOY voters. I bet that MNF game was the game they most remember when thinking of Harrison.

stlrz d
01-06-2009, 05:05 PM
16 sacks, 7 forced fumbles, 101 tackles, 1 safety, 1 interception, 3 passes defensed, 1 fumble recovery.

Oh, and by the way, it was nice knowing you. You'll be missed. :P

flippy
01-06-2009, 05:06 PM
16 sacks, 7 forced fumbles, 101 tackles, 1 safety, 1 interception, 3 passes defensed, 1 fumble recovery.

You saw it all. I saw it all. But I'm saying I don't think the voters saw much of it.

stlrz d
01-06-2009, 05:09 PM

You saw it all. I saw it all. But I'm saying I don't think the voters saw much of it.

Just like we won't be seeing much of you. Seriously, even the witness protection program can't help you now.

Ok, what I think is the AP writers who vote at the very least look over the stat sheets of the players they have to pick from and Harrison, for his position, puts pretty good numbers up across the board. Playing prime time games helps but I don't believe that's the determining factor.

RuthlessBurgher
01-06-2009, 05:12 PM
No, but I think that they gave Mike Smith the 2008 NFL Coach of the Year award because of the memorable job he did coaching for Morehead State in 1986. :?

Iron Shiek
01-06-2009, 05:14 PM

There's no way these voters saw every snap of any of these guys. The only things they can go by are the same things that we can go by...highlights, stats and the occasional viewing of an entire game or 3 of said player. Its a crappy system, but unless you are Ron Jaworski watching film on everything 23 hours a day, then there's no way they can be completely accurate with their voting.

SteelerNation1
01-06-2009, 08:39 PM
I'm sure all the 4:15 games with a national audience didn't hurt.

RKSteel
01-06-2009, 09:43 PM

And the guy played freaking special teams to boot.

Yeah Ed Reed deserved the DMVP. :roll:

Captain Lemming
01-07-2009, 03:52 AM
Anyone else think James Harrison won the DPOY because of his performance against Baltimore last season?
No.
If he won it LAST year, that would be the reason.

I bet the voters really didn't watch all the games and just picked the guy that came to mind when they thought of the Steelers. They probably remember the game they saw him play on MNF last year.

Sure they didn't watch ALL the games. Whats new about that? That is away the case with everybody.
Harrison has the most impressive numbers.
That is whey he deservedly won.

I'm glad James won and all, but I can't honestly say I'm sure he's better than Ed Reed or Demarcus Ware, etc. cause I only see those guys play occasionally. I really am not familiar with what they do week in and week out.

I haven't seen him every week, but when I see both guys in the same game, I typically see Harrison dominate and Reed get absolutely smoked by a receiver. :Beer

I suspect it's the same for the DPOY voters. I bet that MNF game was the game they most remember when thinking of Harrison.

They look at the numbers.

Most of the nominees were one trick ponies.
Reed gets picks. Average against the run
Ware gets sacks. Pretty good against the run.

Harrison is dominant against the run and pass.
He dominated against the run, and the pass.
Heck, Troy is a force against the run and the pass too.

Reed "can" tackle, but in truth he gets to spend all day in centerfield deep coverage waiting for an errant pass.
Troy got seven picks while having way more run responsibility.

And before you mention "free" safety, Ryan Clark has more than TWICE the tackles than Reed has.
Ike Taylor at corner has way more tackles than Reed had.
But lets talk about the last secondary position.
Corners Gay and McFadden EACH had the SAME number of tackles as Reed, basically splitting time with each other AND Townsend.

Let me add-
The Steelers had, not 11, not 12, but THIRTEEN defenders with as many tackles as Ed Reed.

Reed was a virtual non factor against the run period.

Let Troy do nothing but float in deep coverage, and with his closing speed he would put up obscene numbers in defense of the pass. But he plays the run.

Harrison dominated all phases of the game like no other defender period.

And before anyone calls a blind homer, I used to routinely rip Joey Porter, while he was a Steeler for being weak against the run using the same reasoning.

I am so glad Harrison replaced him!