PDA

View Full Version : The Ratbirds have absolutely no fear

JAR
01-06-2009, 03:33 PM
damn, I loathe the rats... The Steelers beat them twice, yes, they beat the Dolphin's but only scored 20 points off of 5 turnovers. I hope the bastards are over confident...

With two big obstacles gone, Ravens' road to Super Bowl less bumpy

As Indianapolis quarterback Peyton Manning walked off the field in anguish Saturday night after the Colts' loss to the SanDiego Chargers, some of the Ravens had to be smiling in their Miami hotel rooms.

No NFL quarterback has tortured the Ravens' defense in recent years as much as Manning has, so it was great to know the road to the Super Bowl didn't have to go through Indianapolis.

Thus far in the postseason, the Ravens have gotten some significant breaks. They don't have to deal with Manning. There was no wild-card game in New England or going head-to-head with The Genius, Patriots coach Bill Belichick.

That's not to just say the Ravens are lucky. When you win 12 games in the NFL, you're pretty good. But with one game left in the regular season, playing in New England and against Manning were the two major obstacles to the Ravens' winning the title. Now, you have to like their chances better.

Call it luck. Call it destiny. Call it whatever you want, but at this point in the season, you take what you can get.

The Ravens didn't want to see Manning. The last time they did, he carved up their secondary for 271yards and 31 points. It was a clear mismatch because of Manning's arm, the Colts' overall speed and the outstanding receivers on their roster compared with the Ravens' makeshift secondary.

But with Manning and crew out of the playoffs, the four remaining AFC teams - the Ravens, Pittsburgh Steelers, Chargers and Tennessee Titans - are built pretty much the same, except San Diego likes to throw more than the other three.

All four teams like to play strong, physical defense, and none of them will back down from a good fight. That's why the Ravens' chances of winning are nearly as good as the other teams'. Tennessee had to rally late in the fourth quarter to beat the Ravens, and Pittsburgh had to complete last-minute comebacks for both victories over Baltimore.

But here's the X-factor for the Ravens: There is no Manning or Tom Brady or even Brett Favre left who can take advantage of their suspect secondary.

Tennessee's Kerry Collins? He's a veteran and a proven commodity, but he doesn't put the fear of Dan Marino in anyone.

San Diego's Philip Rivers? Gimme a break. Tough guy. Strong personality. But one game he might throw four touchdown passes, and the next day he might throw four interceptions. He's the poster child for better-than-average quarterbacks in the NFL.

Pittsburgh's Ben Roethlisberger? The dude is a head case. He likes drama. If he doesn't have an injury, he will invent one. The kid is scary, though. He makes big plays in crunch time.

But with the Patriots and Colts, the odds were high that the Ravens couldn't beat them. The Ravens, though, know they can beat Pittsburgh and Tennessee.

Will they?

That's the $1 million question. But at least it's not the same situation with the Ravens and Miami. There was no way the Dolphins were going to beat the Ravens on Sunday. The Ravens had physically abused them earlier in the season, and you can't heal those psychological scars in a few months. The Ravens are tough, and Miami was soft.

But the final two games in the AFC playoffs will be brawls, and the Ravens thrive in those games. The Ravens will have to travel for both to get to the Super Bowl, but they've won big games on the road this season.

They have absolutely no fear of either Pittsburgh or Tennessee, and Ravens safety Ed Reed laid the gauntlet down Sunday when he said: "Tennessee, here we come. Here come the Ravens. The team you don't want to see."

There wasn't any swagger or arrogance, but confidence. The Ravens are feeling it right now.

The Ravens have had some things go wrong. They will be playing their 17th game without a week off Saturday, and they are on a short week for preparation. That might play head games with some teams, but the Ravens thrive on situations like these. Nothing disturbs them. They just keep grinding away.

The defense was overwhelming against Miami, and Ed Reed was Ed Reed. Big plays are expected whenever he is in the vicinity of the ball. The running game was strong Sunday, and the only downside was that the passing game didn't leave you feeling warm and fuzzy about the Ravens' victory.

But that's the style the Ravens play sometimes. And San Diego, Pittsburgh and Tennessee often play the same way. With the quarterback situation, Flacco isn't that far behind Rivers, Collins or even Roethlisberger.

Everything is close to being equal. There is no Brady, no Genius and no Patriots. And after this weekend with the departure of Manning and the Colts, the Ravens' chances of winning the conference championship increased significantly.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/bal- ... 241.column (http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/bal-sp.preston06jan06,0,6543241.column)

mshifko
01-06-2009, 03:36 PM
we'll see how they will play on sat. i have a feeling they will probably pull an upset though...if we do win, it'll be an interesting game because of all that has happened just THIS YEAR against the rats...

flacco is far behind the QB's that article mentioned...he's a decent rookie QB, but with that defense and running game, i mean honestly he's just doing his best not to get in the way

Blitz-en
01-06-2009, 04:07 PM
I think that writer is just a tad dilusional. We all drink the kool-aid once in a while, but this guy is exuding confidence in one sentence and trying to talk down 3 solid NFL QB's in the next. Saying Rivers, with 32 TD passes this year, and Ben, a former 30+ TD thrower and Super Bowl Champ, are pushovers........that's kinda like talking yourself into it.

I guess anybody can be a writer, right? No offense to the really good ones, but it's only opinion on paper in this article.

Ravens are fine, and a good team. But, if I'm a fan (which I'm not), I'd be concerned about playing 3 games on the road with a rookie QB and a rookie coach. Those three factors have proven to be insurmountable odds. Plus, Tennesee had two weeks to prepare for the Ravens. Who else were they going to play?

Then, they'd have to come to Pittsburgh, beat up after two playoff games, and win on the road. If they do it, they surely deserve it.

stlrz d
01-06-2009, 04:12 PM
I think that writer is just a tad dilusional. We all drink the kool-aid once in a while, but this guy is exuding confidence in one sentence and trying to talk down 3 solid NFL QB's in the next. Saying Rivers, with 32 TD passes this year, and Ben, a former 30+ TD thrower and Super Bowl Champ, are pushovers........that's kinda like talking yourself into it.

I guess anybody can be a writer, right? No offense to the really good ones, but it's only opinion on paper in this article.

Ravens are fine, and a good team. But, if I'm a fan (which I'm not), I'd be concerned about playing 3 games on the road with a rookie QB and a rookie coach. Those three factors have proven to be insurmountable odds. Plus, Tennesee had two weeks to prepare for the Ravens. Who else were they going to play?

Then, they'd have to come to Pittsburgh, beat up after two playoff games, and win on the road. If they do it, they surely deserve it.

Bobby Knight: We all learned to write in 1st grade...most of us have moved on to other things. :D

RKSteel
01-06-2009, 04:13 PM
:Agree The joy ride for the Ratbirds end in Nashville this weekend.

:ratsuck

Northern_Blitz
01-06-2009, 04:22 PM
I don't care who wins that game, but I hope they they beat the crap out of each other.

TallyStiller
01-06-2009, 06:31 PM
I don't care who wins that game, but I hope they they beat the crap out of each other.

Amen.

flippy
01-06-2009, 06:53 PM
I bet the Ravens were more concerned about Manning than this guy....

[youtube:3swazb59]eHBXgUsK8BY[/youtube:3swazb59]

stlrz d
01-06-2009, 07:47 PM
I bet the Ravens were more concerned about Manning than this guy....

[youtube:1mqnbkvm]eHBXgUsK8BY[/youtube:1mqnbkvm]

Saw this in the comments:

Harrison eats babies nobody loves for breakfast, grinds his coffee beans with his teeth, and boils the pot with his own fscking rage! STEELTOWN!

:lol:

PS - For future reference you don't have to cut down the code when embedding...you can put the whole thing between the tags. Saves some time. :)

Djfan
01-07-2009, 05:07 AM
I love the int against SD. It's right at about the 2:00 mark. Watch Troy put Gates into orbit!

frankthetank1
01-07-2009, 09:45 AM
Harrison eats babies nobody loves for breakfast, grinds his coffee beans with his teeth, and boils the pot with his own fscking rage! STEELTOWN!

haha that is hillarious. i heard that james harrison's tears cure cancer but the only thing is james harrison never cries

proudpittsburgher
01-07-2009, 10:03 AM
You know, I see where they are coming from because both of our wins were close, but damn, we beat them twice this season. You don't think we deserve to be in the road-bump status? Our defense made Joe Flacco look very flappable and even a bit below average twice in two games. If I were them, I wouldn't want to play us.

steelz09
01-07-2009, 10:39 AM
"Pittsburgh's Ben Roethlisberger? The dude is a head case. He likes drama. If he doesn't have an injury, he will invent one. The kid is scary, though. He makes big plays in crunch time."

I don't know if I can agree with the head case part but I will agree that he likes drama and that I feel he DOES invent injuries. When he fumbles or throws a pick, EVERY time it seems like he's grabbing his arm, wrist, or whatever afterwards.

stlrz d
01-07-2009, 10:54 AM
I love the int against SD. It's right at about the 2:00 mark. Watch Troy put Gates into orbit!

Pretty good block but to me what was more impressive is the amount of ground Troy covers and how quickly he covers it...and then makes the block!

NorCal-Steeler
01-07-2009, 11:42 AM
Its a Baltimore paper what would you expect them to say, hope we dont have to play the Steelers again cause Ward is a Raven slayer?

I personaly hope the Titans win this weekend i want the Steelers to have a chance to get even for the towel stomp.

pittpete
01-07-2009, 12:08 PM
I don't know if I can agree with the head case part but I will agree that he likes drama and that I feel he DOES invent injuries. When he fumbles or throws a pick, EVERY time it seems like he's grabbing his arm, wrist, or whatever afterwards.

Man, playing behind that O-line Im surprised he isnt playing in a wheelchair.

Jooser
01-07-2009, 12:20 PM
In my juvenile attempt at humor the other night on the Ravens' message board (the one that I was banned from for 'smack talk'), the delusional fans there made absolute claim to the Super Bowl after Manning was beaten. They all but declared that another championship was a done deal since their biggest threat in the post season was eliminated. They dogged our team and our QB and said that we'd be a walk in the park after they stomp the Titstains. Half of them even stated they thought we had absolutely no chance against the Chargers, so why even worry about the lousy Steelers. :Blah When I answered their smack with some of my own, I was subsequently banned from posting there. I guess they couldn't stand anyone pointing out the crack(s) in the glass ceiling. I like a little cool aid myself, but they must be making their's with salt water in Baltimore.