PDA

View Full Version : No Excuses

agdci981
01-05-2009, 06:41 PM
As I have posted before, this year's Steelers defensive YPP (Yards Per Play) allowed ranks as good as ANY DEFENSE in the history of the NFL. Therefore, with the homefield in the first round, as well as BYE, there is no excuse, whatsoever, for this team to not win the AFC. It is going to strictly come down to the offense and OFFENSIVE COACHING. As long as this offense plays AVERAGE, a trip to the Super Bowl should be fairly simple. That is the problem, I believe, however. Does ANYONE actually have any optimism in having to face Jeff Fisher AT HOME AGAIN if they beat the Ravens? Our offensive coaching staff versus Jeff Fisher and his home defense? That is only thing that concerns me. I think Fisher is one of the top coaches in this league right now and him gameplanning against Arians and Zeirlein could be disastrous. I also believe if Baltimore is able to pull the upset, Steelers are in a tough spot again...Tough to beat a team 3 times in one season (even though the Steelers have done it twice with Cleveland). But once again, I think there is no excuse for a trip to the Super Bowl and if this team falls short it will be because of the offense.

Chadman
01-05-2009, 06:47 PM
Well, there are three reasons the Steelers might not win the AFC- the Ravens, Chargers & Titans come to mind.

Really, at this point of the season, all 4 teams are a chance. It's not like these teams are lucky to be there.

The Steelers are a good team, but there are weaknesses to their game.

Are they a strong chance? Yes they are.

Are they morals for the AFC? Absolutely not.

As for there being 'no excuse', Chadman guesses that the Titans & Jeff Fisher must be held in the same regard as Tomlin right? He has, after all, the home field advantage & the bye week & the best record of all AFC teams. No excuse for Fisher if they bomb, right?

mshifko
01-05-2009, 06:50 PM
i agree with the fact that i think there is no excuse we shouldn't win this game on sunday...playing a home playoff game with a dominant D...but the titans aren't slouches...they're the no. 1 seed for a reason...if we win, we can discuss our next opponent

ramblinjim
01-05-2009, 06:51 PM
And I don't think Tomlin will give any if we turn around and get trounced by San Diego this weekend.

I however, may jump off of my balcony if that happens.

flippy
01-05-2009, 07:34 PM
Kerry Collins had a good game against us to beat us in TEN. The Defense isn't absolved for that game.

I think Ben's got another level for the playoffs. The only excuse will be playing Ben before he's ready to come back. Otherwise, we have the most experience QB and best D and should win the whole darn thing.

Steeler Shades
01-05-2009, 08:10 PM
The Defense isn't absolved for that game.
Supposedly LeBeau was keeping the "real" Steeler defense under wraps in case we met them again in the playoffs.

I think Ben's got another level for the playoffs.
I think Ben has played in seven NFL play-off games in his career. How many of those games could be defined as a "lower" level?

The only excuse will be playing Ben before he's ready to come back.
You might be willing to accept this excuse but I won't. Who could possibly have the nerve to say something like this after a loss? 8)

BURGH86STEEL
01-05-2009, 08:13 PM
I do not understand where some fans come up with this attitude that any team should win because of this or that. All stats are thrown out the door in the playoffs. Each game is a new game unto itself. History has taught us that the Steelers can lose the to Chargers. After all, there is not one dominating team in the league right now. Any team can defeat any team in these playoffs.

I do not agree with the "no excuses" stuff. I guess this is another shot at Tomlin. Tomlin won't make excuses if the team loses. The fans will be able to put forth a fairly accurate assessment if they lose.

stlrz d
01-05-2009, 08:16 PM
I do not understand where some fans come up with this attitude that any team should win because of this or that. All stats are thrown out the door in the playoffs. Each game is a new game unto itself. History has taught us that the Steelers can lose the to Chargers. After all, there is not one dominating team in the league right now. Any team can defeat any team in these playoffs.

I do not agree with the "no excuses" stuff. I guess this is another shot at Tomlin.

Gee willakers you sure are a swell guesser! :lol:

http://www.loti.com/fifties_TV/images2/Leave_it_to_Beaver_html_4319f57d.jpg

agdci981
01-05-2009, 08:19 PM
Well, there are three reasons the Steelers might not win the AFC- the Ravens, Chargers & Titans come to mind.

Really, at this point of the season, all 4 teams are a chance. It's not like these teams are lucky to be there.

The Steelers are a good team, but there are weaknesses to their game.

Are they a strong chance? Yes they are.

Are they morals for the AFC? Absolutely not.

As for there being 'no excuse', Chadman guesses that the Titans & Jeff Fisher must be held in the same regard as Tomlin right? He has, after all, the home field advantage & the bye week & the best record of all AFC teams. No excuse for Fisher if they bomb, right?
Fisher doesnt have the Steelers defense. My entire point, since you obviously didn't understand it, was that with the defense we have the offense doesn't even have to be good. It needs to do very little to win games.

agdci981
01-05-2009, 08:19 PM

I do not agree with the "no excuses" stuff. I guess this is another shot at Tomlin. Tomlin won't make excuses if the team loses. The fans will be able to put forth a fairly accurate assessment if they lose.
Ok...then I assume you are betting all dogs moneylines? Must be +EV, correct?

BURGH86STEEL
01-05-2009, 08:33 PM

Ok...then I assume you are betting all dogs moneylines? Must be +EV, correct?

I do not bet money on sports. I do not understand why you continue to push your anti Tomlin agenda when he's done a good job. He's been a HC for two seasons and helped to put this team in a good position both years. Short of a SB win, what more do you want from the guy? Some fans take winning games in the NFL for granted.

Leper Friend
01-05-2009, 08:35 PM
I agree - no excuses.

I think it lies more in Ben than the coaches however.I've had about enough of Arians as anyone here but if you go back and watch the last few games,the passing game has been different from a gameplan standpoint.

I bitched about Ben not having outlets to get rid of the ball and every route being deep , but that hasn't been the case. They've been there alot but he refuses to throw the safe pass .He needs to stop forcing throws , play field position when neccessary and make the other offense earn every yard.

I also noticed more 3 step drops and Ben just refuses to let go of the ball. I bitched about Arians not including more quick throws with the o-line being awful but they've been there recently. Ben has to trust his wr's and throw it. That's not on the coaches.

BURGH86STEEL
01-05-2009, 08:47 PM
I agree - no excuses.

I think it lies more in Ben than the coaches however.I've had about enough of Arians as anyone here but if you go back and watch the last few games,the passing game has been different from a gameplan standpoint.

I bitched about Ben not having outlets to get rid of the ball and every route being deep , but that hasn't been the case. They've been there alot but he refuses to throw the safe pass .He needs to stop forcing throws , play field position when neccessary and make the other offense earn every yard.

I also noticed more 3 step drops and Ben just refuses to let go of the ball. I bitched about Arians not including more quick throws with the o-line being awful but they've been there recently. Ben has to trust his wr's and throw it. That's not on the coaches.

Maybe Ben does not always trust his arm to put the ball in the right spot? One thing I noticed in the Eagles vs Vikes yesterday. It appeared as though the Eagles used the same strategy against the Vikes as they did against us earlier in the season. The Vikes have a better Oline than we do. I think it all boiled down to a lack of respect the Eagles showed Jackson as field general and passer. I believe some teams feel the same way about Ben. Ben's inconsistencies are a reason why. Ben will have to make teams pay on a consistent basis when they employ that strategy. We know that Ben's best is good enough. We just have to see more of it.

Leper Friend
01-05-2009, 09:07 PM
I agree - no excuses.

Maybe Ben does not always trust his arm to put the ball in the right spot? One thing I noticed in the Eagles vs Vikes yesterday. It appeared as though the Eagles used the same strategy against the Vikes as they did against us earlier in the season. The Vikes have a better Oline than we do. I think it all boiled down to a lack of respect the Eagles showed Jackson as field general and passer. I believe some teams feel the same way about Ben. Ben's inconsistencies are a reason why. Ben will have to make teams pay on a consistent basis when they employ that strategy. We know that Ben's best is good enough. We just have to see more of it.And that's what makes it so frustrating . We all know he CAN do it , he just has to do it consistently,especialy in the playoffs.

agdci981
01-05-2009, 09:32 PM
I do not bet money on sports. I do not understand why you continue to push your anti Tomlin agenda when he's done a good job. He's been a HC for two seasons and helped to put this team in a good position both years. Short of a SB win, what more do you want from the guy? Some fans take winning games in the NFL for granted.
Well you are basically saying that playoff games are coinflips. Why not get 2-1 on your money on a 1-1 prop?

How is this thread "anti-Tomlin?" I am making the point that with this defense only the offense can keep this team out of the Super Bowl and they will have to be incredibly pathetic in order to do so.

sd steel
01-05-2009, 09:34 PM
As I have posted before, this year's Steelers defensive YPP (Yards Per Play) allowed ranks as good as ANY DEFENSE in the history of the NFL. Therefore, with the homefield in the first round, as well as BYE, there is no excuse, whatsoever, for this team to not win the AFC. It is going to strictly come down to the offense and OFFENSIVE COACHING. As long as this offense plays AVERAGE, a trip to the Super Bowl should be fairly simple. That is the problem, I believe, however. Does ANYONE actually have any optimism in having to face Jeff Fisher AT HOME AGAIN if they beat the Ravens? Our offensive coaching staff versus Jeff Fisher and his home defense? That is only thing that concerns me. I think Fisher is one of the top coaches in this league right now and him gameplanning against Arians and Zeirlein could be disastrous. I also believe if Baltimore is able to pull the upset, Steelers are in a tough spot again...Tough to beat a team 3 times in one season (even though the Steelers have done it twice with Cleveland). But once again, I think there is no excuse for a trip to the Super Bowl and if this team falls short it will be because of the offense.

How about the excuse "the offense sucks", or "Ben has been injured all year", or "our punter is 65 fricken years old", or "Colon isn't a real right tackle", or "the refs screwed us"???? I can think of a million excuses if we lose. Any NFL team can beat any other NFL team on any given day, (except the Browns and the Lions).

So why again should there be no excuses?

BURGH86STEEL
01-05-2009, 09:45 PM
Well you are basically saying that playoff games are coinflips. Why not get 2-1 on your money on a 1-1 prop?

How is this thread "anti-Tomlin?" I am making the point that with this defense only the offense can keep this team out of the Super Bowl and they will have to be incredibly pathetic in order to do so.

I am not saying it is a coin flip. There are a lot of factors to take into consideration when teams win and lose. I do not believe it is about excuses. I think most people can sense that it is anti Tomlin. Especially, after what you stated about your preference for Whiz. In my mind, the "no excuses" said it all.

You assume the defense will dominate in the playoffs. It may or may not happen. Nothing is guaranteed in the NFL. Every game is a game unto itself. The defense can have a bad game. Maybe the opposing team's offense has a great game.

History has taught us that we should not assume anything about the NFL. Great players have bad games, better teams lose all the time, under dogs pull upsets, the unexpected happens, and so on.

agdci981
01-05-2009, 09:45 PM

How about the excuse "the offense sucks", or "Ben has been injured all year", or "our punter is 65 fricken years old", or "Colon isn't a real right tackle", or "the refs screwed us"???? I can think of a million excuses if we lose. Any NFL team can beat any other NFL team on any given day, (except the Browns and the Lions).

So why again should there be no excuses?
If Ben is so hurt then he shouldn't be playing.
Colon isn't a right tackle? Then what is he? A guard?
Refs shouldn't be a factor in the game if you truly outplay your opponent. Dont allow it to be a close enough game where the refs can affect it at the end with one call.

stlrz d
01-05-2009, 09:54 PM

I am not saying it is a coin flip. There are a lot of factors to take into consideration when teams win and lose. I do not believe it is about excuses. I think most people can sense that it is anti Tomlin. Especially, after what you stated about your preference for Whiz. In my mind, the "no excuses" said it all.

You assume the defense will dominate in the playoffs. It may or may not happen. Nothing is guaranteed in the NFL. Every game is a game unto itself. The defense can have a bad game. Maybe the opposing team's offense has a great game.

History has taught us that we should not assume anything about the NFL. Great players have bad games, better teams lose all the time, under dogs pull upsets, the unexpected happens, and so on.

http://wwwdelivery.superstock.com/WI/223/1598/PreviewComp/SuperStock_1598R-116000.jpg

proudpittsburgher
01-06-2009, 10:12 AM

No, what you are doing is setting yourself up to have an argument if the Steelers lose on Sunday. Do you take pride in that? The fact of the matter is, all four teams who are left are very close,. talent wise. The Steelers eaked out two wins over the Ravens, lost to Tennessee and won a close game to San Diego. So no, there are very valid reasons as to why the Steelers can lose on Sunday. But, that's wouldn;t allow you to come on here after a loss and wag your finger in everyones face. :roll:

feltdizz
01-06-2009, 10:35 AM

Your arm has to be tired from drawing so many lines in the sand.

I do agree that if this team falls short it will be the offense or turnovers by the offense. I just don't see how you jump up and say we are a lock to win the AFC. Without the TO's sure.. I think we are the team to beat.... but a lock? Not with this offense.

I smell another attempt to win against Tomlin in a long season of losses for you. All season it was the next game that we were exposed.... but it hasn't happened.

you wrote a long fluff piece to say what we all have said.... if the O does just a little and doesn't turn the ball over we win.

feltdizz
01-06-2009, 10:42 AM

No, what you are doing is setting yourself up to have an argument if the Steelers lose on Sunday. Do you take pride in that? The fact of the matter is, all four teams who are left are very close,. talent wise. The Steelers eaked out two wins over the Ravens, lost to Tennessee and won a close game to San Diego. So no, there are very valid reasons as to why the Steelers can lose on Sunday. But, that's wouldn;t allow you to come on here after a loss and wag your finger in everyones face. :roll:

actually he is just trying to give this board a little pep... nothing wrong with it IMO.
when you read through his rant he says what we all say. If the O clicks then we roll...

but we don't have to be pathetic to lose... our O wasn't pathetic in the loss to the Colts but the TO's killed us.

stlrz d
01-06-2009, 11:48 AM

actually he is just trying to give this board a little pep... nothing wrong with it IMO.
when you read through his rant he says what we all say. If the O clicks then we roll...

but we don't have to be pathetic to lose... our O wasn't pathetic in the loss to the Colts but the TO's killed us.

Nothing wrong with a little pep, but his anti-Tomlin agenda is simply annoying.

Here's to hoping that the fleas from 1000 HIV infected camels infest his mangina.

Steeler Shades
01-06-2009, 01:59 PM
... our O wasn't pathetic in the loss to the Colts but the TO's killed us.
How do you separate the two? Doesn't turning over the ball make you pathetic? 8)

feltdizz
01-06-2009, 02:05 PM
... our O wasn't pathetic in the loss to the Colts but the TO's killed us.
How do you separate the two? Doesn't turning over the ball make you pathetic? 8)

nope.. it makes Ben pathetic for 2 plays....

Steeler Shades
01-06-2009, 02:46 PM
... our O wasn't pathetic in the loss to the Colts but the TO's killed us.How do you separate the two? Doesn't turning over the ball make you pathetic? 8)nope.. it makes Ben pathetic for 2 plays....
Got it. So if your QB turns over the ball three times and the RB fumbles twice, they and the offense could have a good day. What would a pathetic offense look like? 8)

feltdizz
01-06-2009, 03:16 PM
[quote=feltdizz]... our O wasn't pathetic in the loss to the Colts but the TO's killed us.How do you separate the two? Doesn't turning over the ball make you pathetic? 8)nope.. it makes Ben pathetic for 2 plays....
Got it. So if your QB turns over the ball three times and the RB fumbles twice, they and the offense could have a good day. What would a pathetic offense look like? 8)[/quote:o65j29li]

here we go...

I have seen offenses protect the ball and look pathetic. I have seen offenses have a TO or 2 and not look pathetic... of course the TO itself is pathetic but I'm not ripping the WR's who had 100 yards each and 2 TD's because the RB had 2 fumbles....

I know we like to disagree but c'mon... I don't think every game with a turnover means the O was pathetic all day long. Maybe you see every loss as pathetic all around but I don't.

I don't really call a game great or pathetic because of one or 2 plays... I usually look at the whole and weigh if I saw more good then bad plays. Granted we haven't been great this year on O but I've seen pathetic from this offense and i don't think the Colts game was one of them as an offense. Ben did had 2 pathetic passes...

Steeler Shades
01-06-2009, 04:04 PM
I don't really call a game great or pathetic because of one or 2 plays... I usually look at the whole and weigh if I saw more good then bad plays. Granted we haven't been great this year on O but I've seen pathetic from this offense and i don't think the Colts game was one of them as an offense. Ben did had 2 pathetic passes...

59 yards total rushing for the Steelers and three picks for Ben. Defense gave up 3 points in the second half and the Colts turned Ben's first half mistakes into 14 points. Yes, we'll agree to disagree once again on whether the offense looked "pathetic". 8)

Key stat: The Colts converted the first two Roethilisberger misfires, both in Steelers territory, into 14 points.
http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter?game_id=2 ... gamecenter (http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter?game_id=29668&season=2008&displayPage=tab_gamecenter)

DBinAL
01-06-2009, 04:32 PM
Sometimes I wonder if anyone on this board realizes that the other team also has NFL players on its roster. Their players are also paid quite a large sum of money to perform their assigned tasks. Sometimes the 'better team' doesn't win for a number of reasons. It's been very apparent that 'as Ben goes' so go the Steelers. The defense has played very well, but even the defense doesn't stop the other team every time - see NY Giants late in 4th quarter, Indy game after the interceptions (14 points vs 6 or 10), Titans game. In each of these games, Ben turned the ball over. Not Tomlin and his coaching. Not Arians and his play calling. Ben and Ben alone made the mistakes.

If Ben protects the ball, the Steelers should win the game- with or without a prolific offense. As is usually the case, turnovers will be the key. As badly as the Dolphins performed on Sunday, without the turnovers, they probably would have won the game. But turnovers are a part of the game.

The SD game will be about the players and their execution. It will not be about Tomlin having the team ready to play. Tomlin has done a great job of getting the players up for every game this year and this week's game will be no exception.

Protect the ball and the Steelers win.

feltdizz
01-06-2009, 04:45 PM

59 yards total rushing for the Steelers and three picks for Ben. Defense gave up 3 points in the second half and the Colts turned Ben's first half mistakes into 14 points. Yes, we'll agree to disagree once again on whether the offense looked "pathetic". 8)

Key stat: The Colts converted the first two Roethilisberger misfires, both in Steelers territory, into 14 points.
http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter?game_id=2 ... gamecenter (http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter?game_id=29668&season=2008&displayPage=tab_gamecenter)

we all watched the game... You keep going back 2 of Ben's INT's to make your point.

Ben.. not the offense as a whole. Ben is our leader and our QB.. but I'm not going to bash the whole Offensive unit when he makes boneheaded mistakes...

Ben doesn't win games all by himself or lose games all by himself but he damn sure came really close in the Colts game because of 2 throws.

ikestops85
01-06-2009, 05:15 PM
Maybe Ben should just take a knee on every play against SD. It seems that would gaurantee a win. :stirpot

BURGH86STEEL
01-06-2009, 05:48 PM
Sometimes I wonder if anyone on this board realizes that the other team also has NFL players on its roster. Their players are also paid quite a large sum of money to perform their assigned tasks. Sometimes the 'better team' doesn't win for a number of reasons. It's been very apparent that 'as Ben goes' so go the Steelers. The defense has played very well, but even the defense doesn't stop the other team every time - see NY Giants late in 4th quarter, Indy game after the interceptions (14 points vs 6 or 10), Titans game. In each of these games, Ben turned the ball over. Not Tomlin and his coaching. Not Arians and his play calling. Ben and Ben alone made the mistakes.

If Ben protects the ball, the Steelers should win the game- with or without a prolific offense. As is usually the case, turnovers will be the key. As badly as the Dolphins performed on Sunday, without the turnovers, they probably would have won the game. But turnovers are a part of the game.

The SD game will be about the players and their execution. It will not be about Tomlin having the team ready to play. Tomlin has done a great job of getting the players up for every game this year and this week's game will be no exception.

Protect the ball and the Steelers win.

I agree and I've always stated that sometimes it is not always about what the Steelers do. The other teams have NFL caliber players that can play the game. Even 3rd string players can win battles against starters. I also stated that all people need to do is look at the recent history of the league to see that the best teams do not always win. It is what the league has become.

Turnovers will play a huge role in the game. Steelers won the TO battle against the Chargers. Hopefully the same holds true Sunday. The team that executes better without mistakes and turnovers will put themselves in a good position to win the game. Chargers have the talent and team to win this game. Anyone that thinks other wise should reevaluate their "no excuses" position.

Steeler Shades
01-06-2009, 06:01 PM
Ben doesn't win games all by himself or lose games all by himself but he damn sure came really close in the Colts game because of 2 throws.
Agreed. But we also had only 59 yards rushing which Ben is not responsible for. I just didn't think it was a good offensive effort. Whether it was "pathetic"....maybe not. But not good enough to win and probably not good enough to win in the playoffs if it happens again. Lets just hope they play better during the next three games. 8)

Steeler Mafia
01-06-2009, 06:18 PM
What would a pathetic offense look like? 8)

The Browns! :lol: :lol: :lol: :tt2

Steeler Shades
01-06-2009, 06:25 PM
[quote="Steeler Shades":q7c2d8qo] What would a pathetic offense look like? 8)The Browns! :lol: :lol: :lol: :tt2[/quote:q7c2d8qo]
If the bar is set that low then I stand corrected.....The Steeler offense was not pathetic in the Colts game. 8)

agdci981
01-07-2009, 08:10 PM
I predicted the Steelers to win on Sunday. I bet on the Steelers to win the AFC. I will be furious if the Steelers cant beat the Chargers at home after a BYE. Ravens and Tennesee are both better than the Chargers and I dont care what happened last time. Last time doesn't matter.