PDA

View Full Version : Harrison DPOY!

stlrz d
01-05-2009, 01:12 PM
No link yet...announced on ESPN!

stlrz d
01-05-2009, 01:16 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090105/ap_ ... ive_player (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090105/ap_on_sp_fo_ne/fbn_ap_defensive_player)

Steelers' Harrison is AP Defensive Player of Year

By BARRY WILNER, AP Football Writer Barry Wilner, Ap Football Writer – 3 mins ago

NEW YORK – James Harrison slams down the current version of the Steel Curtain better than any Pittsburgh Steeler, earning him The Associated Press 2008 Defensive Player of the Year award.

The linebacker who had a career-high 16 sacks, setting a team record, and led the NFL with a career-high seven forced fumbles, beat Dallas' DeMarcus Ware in balloting by a nationwide panel of 50 sports writers and broadcasters announced Monday. Pittsburgh defense was the league's stingiest in total defense, pass defense and points allowed. Harrison was its main hammer.

"That's something that everybody in the league would love to have, to be voted the top player in the league for that year," Harrison said. "In my mind, I think I do — and it's going to sound boring — what the defense allows me to do and what my teammates allow me to do."

Harrison earned 22 votes to 13 for Ware.

Baltimore safety Ed Reed, the 2004 winner, got eight votes. Tennessee defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth had five and Harrison's teammate, safety Troy Polamalu, got two.

Harrison credited defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau's schemes with allowing him, an undrafted free agent from Kent State who was cut several times by Pittsburgh and once by Baltimore, to eventually become a star.

"The defense is built to play with 11 guys, and if all 11 guys are on the same page, playing the same defense on the same play, there's nothing that can go wrong and that's just how we feel about it," Harrison said.

But fellow linebacker James Farrior, who has seen Harrison develop from a backup to Joey Porter into one of the game's biggest playmakers, sees Harrison as the key.

"His whole attitude about football, I think he works harder than anybody else in this locker room," Farrior said. "He has a great work ethic. He's very tuned in to what he has to do to make himself better. That's all he strives for, to try to be better than anybody else, and you can see his determination when he's out there on the field.

"We've got good players on this team, and every team has good players, but he seems to be — this year and last year — making the plays that made the difference in the game."

Harrison is the fifth Steeler to win the award, including three Hall of Famers from the original Steel Curtain: Joe Greene (1974), Mel Blount (1975) and Jack Lambert (1976). In 1993, Rod Woodson was AP Defensive Player of the Year, and he is eligible for the Hall for the first time this year.

The Steelers did not allow a 100-yard rusher or 300-yard passer in 2008. Harrison didn't limit his work to that stingy unit, though: Harrison also had 12 special teams tackles.

"People said I couldn't do this or couldn't do that," he noted. "I was too short, too slow. Basically, I play and prepare myself in the offseason with the thoughts of what people said I couldn't do."

And he's proven he can do just about everything.

flippy
01-05-2009, 01:17 PM
Last time Mike Tomlin walked into the building, the first thing he saw we 5 Lombardy trophies, not 5 DMVP titles.

Let's not follow in the footsteps of Peyton Manning. Let's be remembered for this great season.

SuperBowl or Bust.

Iron Shiek
01-05-2009, 01:22 PM
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EAT IT WARE....

The voters knew better voting against Deebo...they would be eating dirt today...

RKSteel
01-05-2009, 01:22 PM
I hear what you're saying Flippy, but I don't think Harrison is the type to rest on his laurals.

He'll probably play harder to ensure people don't think his season was a fluke.

proudpittsburgher
01-05-2009, 01:37 PM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 05729.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_605729.html)

:Beer

SteelerOfDeVille
01-05-2009, 01:37 PM
Last time Mike Tomlin walked into the building, the first thing he saw we 5 Lombardy trophies, not 5 DMVP titles.

Let's not follow in the footsteps of Peyton Manning. Let's be remembered for this great season.

SuperBowl or Bust.
Nice call, Flip!

proudpittsburgher
01-05-2009, 01:38 PM
aw crap. didn't see it there. sorry for the D_B

Wolfhound45
01-05-2009, 01:39 PM
How did he do in the BCS rankings?

Just kidding. :P

Congratulations Silverback! Well deserved!

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0ac8gYEgMX0le/340x.jpg

stlrz d
01-05-2009, 01:42 PM

SuperBowl or Bust.

Harrison has one thing Manning, Ryan and Smith (MVP, ROY, COY) don't have. This is the playoffs and defense wins championships. Harrison is on the #1 defense in the NFL!

Yes Sir!

:tt2

stlrz d
01-05-2009, 01:47 PM
http://www.airlineempires.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/merge2.gif

:P

AngryAsian
01-05-2009, 01:50 PM

SuperBowl or Bust.

Harrison has one thing Manning, Ryan and Smith (MVP, ROY, COY) don't have. This is the playoffs and defense wins championships. Harrison is on the #1 defense in the NFL!

Yes Sir!

:tt2

AMEN, Brother.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
01-05-2009, 01:59 PM
Hopefully this will put pressure on the refs not to ignore the holds on him ... just in time for the playoffs!

"I can dream, can't I? ..."

Sugar
01-05-2009, 02:07 PM
Well deserved!!

I like that Troy got a couple votes too. He's been healthy and actually playing Safety this year and it's amazing the difference it makes.

So lets celebrate by Deebo getting a couple more sacks and a strip on Rivers while Troy can do a pick 6! :tt2

Iron Shiek
01-05-2009, 02:08 PM
And here come the "Ed Reed should be DPOY" cries. Its nice that he scores so he's got that going for him. He does it more than any other defender and should be applauded for that. But he doesn't score on every defensive play. What he does HAVE to do on every play? Tackle. Which is something Ed Reed sorely can't do. Purely evident on a WR screen that Miami took 40 yards to the 5 yard line and Ed Reed looked silly even attempting what I assume he calls a tackle.

I'm not trying to take anything away from Ed Reed, but people get caught up in the flashiness of his returns, and fail to see how far away from a complete player he is.

Wolfhound45
01-05-2009, 02:12 PM
Hopefully this will put pressure on the refs not to ignore the holds on him ... just in time for the playoffs!

I was watching the November game last night (love DVR). It was INCREDIBLE what the Chargers OL were getting away with against Silverback. Two penalties for ten yards? You have to be kidding me.

Jom112
01-05-2009, 02:16 PM
I would have felt sorry for Philip Rivers if he didn't win...

phillyesq
01-05-2009, 02:29 PM
Congrats to Harrison. He has worked hard and he has earned it. IMO, he was absolutely deserving of the award.

feltdizz
01-05-2009, 02:47 PM
Ed Reed is a center fielder... a really good one.. but I think when you watch him play us you pretty much see what Ed Reed CAN'T do... and for some reason he can't cover Hines or Miller and he is a non factor most games...

Hopefully Harrison winning the DPOY will make the network really focus in on his play and force holding penalties...

stlrz d
01-05-2009, 02:47 PM
And here come the "Ed Reed should be DPOY" cries. Its nice that he scores so he's got that going for him. He does it more than any other defender and should be applauded for that. But he doesn't score on every defensive play. What he does HAVE to do on every play? Tackle. Which is something Ed Reed sorely can't do. Purely evident on a WR screen that Miami took 40 yards to the 5 yard line and Ed Reed looked silly even attempting what I assume he calls a tackle.

I'm not trying to take anything away from Ed Reed, but people get caught up in the flashiness of his returns, and fail to see how far away from a complete player he is.

http://talk.baltimoresun.com/showthread.php?t=179774

Jooser
01-05-2009, 02:52 PM
I'd respond to some of them D, but I am banned for acting like a 13 year-old. Anyways, let them dream. They sure as hell don't want to have to come back to Pittsburgh in two weeks, that's for sure.

Way to go Harrison, he certainly deserves it in my book!!!! :tt1

Discipline of Steel
01-05-2009, 03:08 PM
I am sooooo happy!

Was teaching the little guy about James this year as we watched youtube videos of his greatest plays. He was definately impressed and wanted a #92 jersey for Xmas. The other day, when we watched TO cry after the Iggles game, he asked me, "Do you think James Harrison cries?" Then he laughed...NOOOO!!! I cant wait to tell him the excellant news!

SteelerNation1
01-05-2009, 03:11 PM
he asked me, "Do you think James Harrison cries?"
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: His tears are blood!!!!!!!!!!!!!

flippy
01-05-2009, 03:19 PM

That's a great point. Does Harrison all of a sudden get treated better? I hope so!!!!!!

Gotta give the call to the DPOY.

flippy
01-05-2009, 03:21 PM

And they cure cancer.

feltdizz
01-05-2009, 03:23 PM

That's a great point. Does Harrison all of a sudden get treated better? I hope so!!!!!!

He will......

the camera's will give a bunch of close ups and analyst will keep repeating the DPOY award...

if he doesn't get 3 holding penalties then he has 3 sacks.

MeetJoeGreene
01-05-2009, 04:19 PM

He will......

the camera's will give a bunch of close ups and analyst will keep repeating the DPOY award...

if he doesn't get 3 holding penalties then he has 3 sacks.

i certainly hope that is the case.

congrats to him.. but if he DIDN'T get it, just think how mad he might be and how he would take it out on Rivers. Kind of like the dude in Fast Times.

mshifko
01-05-2009, 04:33 PM
definitely well deserved...not bad for an undrafted FA out of kent state

Discipline of Steel
01-05-2009, 04:42 PM

And they cure cancer.

The funny thing is, the other night, little guy was crying and wouldnt go to bed. I told him if he didnt go to bed, I would call James Harrison to come put him to bed. He fell silent immediately and went straight to bed!

Iron Shiek
01-05-2009, 04:43 PM
[quote="Discipline of Steel":2wyp12ml] he asked me, "Do you think James Harrison cries?"

And they cure cancer.

The funny thing is, the other night, little guy was crying and wouldnt go to bed. I told him if he didnt go to bed, I would call James Harrison to come put him to bed. He fell silent immediately and went straight to bed![/quote:2wyp12ml]

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

MeetJoeGreene
01-05-2009, 04:57 PM
[quote="Discipline of Steel":vr9m3o08] he asked me, "Do you think James Harrison cries?"

And they cure cancer.

The funny thing is, the other night, little guy was crying and wouldnt go to bed. I told him if he didnt go to bed, I would call James Harrison to come put him to bed. He fell silent immediately and went straight to bed![/quote:vr9m3o08]

That's just good parenting, right there!!!!!

:tt1

flippy
01-05-2009, 04:58 PM
[quote="Discipline of Steel":2e6vda5w] he asked me, "Do you think James Harrison cries?"

And they cure cancer.

The funny thing is, the other night, little guy was crying and wouldnt go to bed. I told him if he didnt go to bed, I would call James Harrison to come put him to bed. He fell silent immediately and went straight to bed![/quote:2e6vda5w]

They could make a James on the Shelf like the Elf on a Shelf guy that reports back to James Harrison every night if you are behaving.

Iron Shiek
01-05-2009, 05:30 PM
Harrison was just interviewed on Sirius NFL Radio.

Asked about his road that he has taken to get where he is now. He is very humbled about his path to greatness.

Gives credit to all the defenders on the team for him winning the award.

Pat Kirwan was oogling about him and his stats and what a good tradition the Steelers have. Then asked James about his penchant for wanting to play Special Teams. Harrison says he wants to play Special Teams and smack someone in the mouth but it takes a toll, one ST play is like 6 defensive plays.

Talking about the Chargers and how they are gonna have their hands full. Don't turn the ball over and get turnovers.

Asked about how much size he gives up and how he can still be effective. He says his speed and agility helps him...he stays low and turns the corner by making them big guys bite on moves. But still likes bull rushing because he is so powerful.

Asked about Darren Sproles and not letting him breakout. All eleven guys must do their jobs was his answer. Stay in gaps and keep him contained...

Asked about BadWord Lebeau. Not a lot of guys he trusts in life, but BadWord is one of them. He's like a father figure to him. He says when they get the game plan on Wed's, if Lebeau drew it up, they know its gonna work. He could blitz all eleven guys from one side, and they always think its gonna work.

Glimpse of what Sunday might be like: "Hard hitting, physical game. If you like high scoring, you might not want to watch this game. If you like defense, come on through."

hellbanger
01-05-2009, 05:33 PM
Woo Hoo!!! finally justice in the NFL! Go Silverback!! crush, kill, maim!

JAR
01-05-2009, 09:31 PM
and the rat fans are whining. Harrison doesn't get taken out by WRs, that's why he beat out Ed Reed... :D

http://boards.baltimoreravens.com/index ... topic=6420 (http://boards.baltimoreravens.com/index.php?showtopic=6420)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3uM3d42b6M

BURGH86STEEL
01-05-2009, 09:53 PM
Congrats to Harrison, he deserved it.

NorthCoast
01-05-2009, 11:14 PM
Message boards at MSN are loaded with gripes about DPOY not going to Reed or Ware. Those guys don't seem to understand Harrison's impact in multiple areas including ST, against the run, etc. The other guys are all one trick ponies. Ware is a rushing demon, but you don't see teams adding an EXTRA tackle on the line to take care of him. Reed gets alot of ints but he is no where near Harrison on tackles and I don't think either play special teams. Again, these guys see one stat that shines and think that makes them deserving.
Props to the writers for getting this one right.

buckeyehoppy
01-06-2009, 01:33 AM
Silverback=Player of the Year

Ed Peed=Flavor of the Month

Got the picture? Good!!!

Kick @$$, Silverback!!!

agdci981
01-06-2009, 03:05 AM

Asked about his road that he has taken to get where he is now. He is very humbled about his path to greatness.

Greatness??? You need to do it over and over to be considered "great." This season was "great" but I dont think you can annoint a player as "great" without like 5-6 years of "great" play.

Discipline of Steel
01-06-2009, 09:34 AM

Greatness??? You need to do it over and over to be considered "great." This season was "great" but I dont think you can annoint a player as "great" without like 5-6 years of "great" play.

That is why he is on the 'path to greatness' with 2 DOMINATING seasons under his belt.

Iron Shiek
01-06-2009, 09:52 AM

Just to make it clear...he didn't say he is on a path to greatness. I added that in there. And I wasn't saying the dude is a HOF'er, calm down. He had a great couple years. Considering from where he came from to becoming the DPOY (deservedly by the way), its a great run. There's nothing wrong with saying he is great.

feltdizz
01-06-2009, 10:11 AM

:Hater