PDA

View Full Version : Playoff Predictions - Week 2

flippy
01-05-2009, 09:06 AM
Last week I was only 3-1, so I've got some extra work to do to get this right this week.

Baltimore 23 - Tennessee - 13 - Look for the Ravens to bring a physical game and start fast. It's gonna be a long day for Tennessee playing from behind against this hard nosed team. Flacco will be the first rookie QB to win 2 playoff games in his 1st season.

Arizona - 31 - Carolina 28 - On paper, this looks like an easy pick of Carolina. AZ doesn't travel well to the east coast. Williams/Stewart look unstoppable at times. And Jake Delhomme is an experienced QB who can bring his team back to win football games. But as good as their offense is humming, the Cardinals are gonna stop the run and Whiz is gonna put together a gameplan to win on the road in the playoffs. Warner, Fitz, Boldin, and Edge will just be too much for Carolina's mediocre defense.

Eagles - 34 - Giants - 23 - Gotta love a divisional playoff game. These teams know each other well. Both bring a lot of pressure, but both QBs are adept at getting rid of the ball to avoid pressure. This is going to come down to who has the better defense and who has the better QB. The Eagles have both and they also have Westbrook. Plus McNabb's got a chip on his shoulder to quiet his critics.

Pittsburgh - 34 - SD - 13 - The blowout of the week. Pittsburgh's offense comes out of nowhere and Ben and company just start clicking. Look for FWP to start fast. And throw in a defensive score. Woodley gets a fumble sack that Harrison returns for a TD.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-05-2009, 10:04 AM
I just can't see Arizona winning it. Coming out of the worst division in football and getting a home win (where they were 6-2) is one thing. A 3-5 road team visiting an 8-0 home team who had a bye week is quite another.

This is the week that we will see that both teams from the West are truly the weak sisters of this playoff tournament.

stlrz d
01-05-2009, 10:31 AM
Looks like you're going 1-3 this week Flippy.

flippy
01-05-2009, 10:43 AM
Looks like you're going 1-3 this week Flippy.

HaHa....we won't know for sure until next Sunday night.

Jooser
01-05-2009, 12:35 PM
Giants 24 Iggles 10 - I think the Giants defense will prove too stout for McNabbage. Look for some early strikes down field passing, then they'll pound the ball to the end.

Panthers 21 Whizazona 14 - Panthers will be too physical for the traveling Cards this weekend.

Steelers 17 Bolts 10 - Cold sloppy conditions means a low scoring contest I believe. Look for a defensive score to make the difference for the 'Burgh.

Titans 14 Ratbirds 13 - This one's so close it's hard to call. I think the Tits will come out on top, but not before Baltimore beats them up and tenderizes them a little for us for the AFCCG.

proudpittsburgher
01-05-2009, 12:51 PM
*ahem*

3-1 for me too, thanks to the Chargers pick.

Eagles 24, Giants 17: This is my upset special. Phily can look great in some instances and really bnad in others. I'll chalk them up for a really good this week.

Panthers 35 Whizazona 14 - Ruching yards will be astounding for Carolina. 7 of Arizona's 14 will come in garbage time, and they will be thrown by Matty Leinart.

Steelers 17 Bolts 7 - Boring game, and we will be on pins and needles for most of it,. but the Steelers take a 10 point lead in the third quarter and never surrender it.

Titans 14 Ratbirds 6 - Flacco is unflappable, or so say all the media pundants, but he looked bad in a pair of games against the Steelers and really bad against the Giants, good defenses. Tennessee will be another one and eliminate a very good and scary Ravens team.

Djfan
01-05-2009, 12:59 PM
Steelers 24 Bolts 13 - the X factor here is the bolts punter

Titans 14 Rats 13 - can't tell you why

Arizona 10 Carolina 20 - end of Whiz's run

Eagles 24 Gints 10 - this is the easiest pick of the weekend.

feltdizz
01-05-2009, 01:07 PM
well I also went 3-1 I think... I can't find where I posted my predictions at on here..

I think I had the Colts winning though...

I did pick AZ just becase of the home crowd and Atlanta struggling in a must win against the Rams the week before...

This week it's

Eagles
Steelers
Ravens
Carolina

fo$lrock
01-05-2009, 01:18 PM
Baltimore 20 - Tennessee 14
Carolina 35 - Arizona 10
Philadelphia 21 - NY Giants 20
Pittsburgh 24 - San Diego 13

Iron Shiek
01-05-2009, 01:32 PM
well I also went 3-1 I think... I can't find where I posted my predictions at on here..

I think I had the Colts winning though...

I did pick AZ just becase of the home crowd and Atlanta struggling in a must win against the Rams the week before...

This week it's

Eagles
Steelers
Ravens
Carolina

The Week 1 picks thread is in the "Around the NFL" Forum.

I went 1-3 and famously predicted Pennington wouldn't make any mistakes and the Dolphins would win. I should be banned from picking....but screw it.

Eagles/Panthers/Ravens/Steelers

stlrz d
01-05-2009, 01:44 PM
This should be the "everyone but the Steelers playoff prediction thread". :(

RKSteel
01-05-2009, 01:52 PM
Titans 17 - Ratbirds 14 Titans follow GMen blueprint and pound the Ravens. Titans D shuts down Ratbird running game forcing Flacco to beat them, which he doesn't.

Eagles 24 - Giants 17 Eagles are rolling, Gmen aren't. Another Manning bites the dust.

Panthers 24 - Cards 14 Cards played their SB, not facing a rookie QB this week.

Game of the Week

My 6yr old daughter asked who the Steelers were playing this week, I told her the Chargers and she said the Steelers will win 100 - 0. Smart girl.

Realistically, I think this will be a close game for the first half, with Sproles giving the Steelers some problems early. Bad word Lebeau makes his half time adjustments. The Steelers offense comes out in the second half running the no huddle. Ben gets into a rhythm and the Steelers score 3 tds in the 3rd qtr, with the last coming on a 12 play 8 min drive. Defense shuts down the Chargers in the 2nd half, Troy gets his pick six.

Steelers advance to the AFCCG. :tt1 YES SIR! :tt1

Steelers 31 - Chargers 7

Wolfhound45
01-05-2009, 02:02 PM
Ravens @ Titans (30 - 10) Face it, the Ravens are the hottest team in the playoffs. They will not cool off in Nashville. Too bad we will not get an opportunity to get some payack for the Terrible Towel incidents.

Cardinals @ Panthers (10 - 28) The dream that began in the desert comes to an end in Carolina.

Eagles @ Giants (28 - 31) A very tough matchup that comes down to a game winning FG in the 4th quarter. Too bad, an all Pennsylvania SB would have been cool.

Chargers @ Steelers (7 - 35) The refs swallow their whistles, our defense smothers their offense, and our offense absolutely explodes.

Jom112
01-05-2009, 02:10 PM
Bad week last week. Going for 4-0 this week:

Baltimore 13 - Tennessee 20

Tennessee is still under-rated by almost everyone. Ravens are hot but as we've seen this season, teams can move the ball on their defense at times. I see Tennessee making the most of their few opportunities to score and edging out the Ravens.

Carolina 30 - Arizona 14

Carolina is my pick this season to win the SB. It would look really bad if they lost to the Cardinals at home.

Philadelphia 20 - NY Giants 28

A healthy and rested Brandon Jacobs is a very bad thing for the Eagles.

Pittsburgh 24 - San Diego 13

Defense and timely passing helps the Steelers prevail.

Oviedo
01-05-2009, 02:15 PM
While I would love the predictions of our offense coming alive to be true I really don't expect it.

Eagles @ Giants. Giants will win this one 24-16. The Eagles have been relying too much on Westbrook and the Giants' pass rush will get to McNabb often.

Arizona @ Carolina. The Arizona illusion will end abruptly. This team can't win on the road and are only in the play offs because they play in the worst division in football. Carlina pounds them 27-13.

Ravens @ Titans. Ravens are hot and the Titans are not a great team. We did everything but give them the last game. Both teams will try to run the ball but the Ravens defense will prove to be more up to the task. Ravens win 17-13.

Chargers @ Steelers. No Tomlinson will really hurt the Chargers and Sproules was run into the ground this past weekend. All that is moot if Big Ben can't get his act together. He has to focus on taking short easy completions and not force the ball. If he forces the ball he will throw interceptions. If he falters early Tomlin needs to pull him and get Leftwich into the line up. All and all I think the Steelers defense is better and leads us to a 20-13 win.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-05-2009, 05:31 PM
My two easy picks of the week first:

Carolina over Arizona by 21 - Arizona is overmatched on the road coming off of a home win that looked more impressive than it actually is.

Pittsburgh over San Diego by 17 - see above

Tennessee over Baltimore by 10 - The Ravens are a good team, and not one that I want to face, although, neither is Tennessee. Baltimore is hitting the road for the second straight game against the rested #1 seed. Aside from the '05 Steelers, rarely does a team win this game. Tennessee hopefully comes out of this hard hitting affair pretty beaten.

Giants / Philly - too close to call for me.

stlrz d
01-08-2009, 01:14 PM
Here are mine:

Panthers over Cardinals. Too much run game for the Cards D to stop.

Eagles over Giants. Flippy, I know I gave you a hard time about your picks but I saw something on ESPN this morning about a Justin Tuck injury.

Titans over Ravens. The Titans D picked Flacco 2 times in the first meeting. I think they get 2 more.

Steelers over Chargers. 20-13. Steelers are up 20-6 and the Chargers get a late TD that makes the score closer than the game really was.

ColumbusSteelerFan
01-11-2009, 08:11 AM
2-2 so far Flip. Let's hope you're 4-4 by the end of the day!

flippy
01-11-2009, 08:37 AM

Brother, I'll take 3 for 4 as long as our Steelers win.

I can't wait.

I woke up extra early today feeling like it's Christmas!!!!!!

Wooooooooo!

AngryAsian
01-11-2009, 09:29 AM

Brother, I'll take 3 for 4 as long as our Steelers win.

I can't wait.

Wooooooooo!

Your optimism is infectious, my deranged clown brother.

WOOOOOOOO!

steeld95
01-11-2009, 09:44 AM
I can't wait.

Wooooooooo!

I know what you mean by feeling like a ten year old on Christmas morning
I woke up at 4 am and was so excited, I could not go back to sleep!!!