PDA

View Full Version : Chadman's 2009 Draft Analysis.....

Chadman
01-05-2009, 12:52 AM
Hello everybody. This year, Chadman is going to start early with a thread in an effort to get something close to an 'in-depth' analysis of each team so that we might, as a board, get a good idea of who the Steelers might be able to look at in this year's draft. Chadman will go through each team, in draft order (as they appear right now- this might change with trades etc), and will look at needs, FA's, previous drafts, current roster strengths & weaknesses & then will try to come up with an idea of who they might draft this April. This will, obviously, take quite a while. Chadman will try to be as interesting as possible!! And Chadman will try to give each team a fairly unbiased opinion. ANY comments are welcome as Chadman does not, in any way, claim to have great knowledge of all teams. So if you see something you think should be added- just make a point of which team you are discussing & post away!

Hopefully, this will work out.. :?

Ok, starting with team number 1- the DETROIT LIONS.

Wow, what an abysmal season! A quick look at the team stats shows they were 27th in points scored, 30th in yards a game, 24th in passing yards, 30th in rushing yards, 32nd in points allowed, 32nd in yards allowed, 27th in passing yards allowed, 32nd in rushing yards allowed... it's safe to say they need help everywhere.

Looking at some individual stats for the Lions-
At QB the highest rated QB is Dan Orlovsky with a passer rating of 72.6. He had 8 TD's & 8 INTS & was completing at 56.1%. That's not 'terrible', but it's more back-up worthy. The other QB of note was Daunte Culpepper, who threw 4 TD's & 6 INTS after joining mid season. He was completing at 52.2% and all this proved was that, without Randy Moss, Daunte isn't all that great.

At RB, rookie Kevin Smith ran for 976 at 4.1 YPC & rushed for 8 TD's. Not bad stats for a rookie at all, and it's one promising aspect of the Lions roster. The problem is, the second best runner was Rudi Johnson who had 237 yards at 3.1 YPC- this is simply not very good. There is little to no depth at RB for the Lions. The FB is another rookie- Jerome Felton, who wasn't asked to run much. But, if both rookies are able to develop together, there might be some hope for the Lions running game. Depth is definately needed here though.

At WR, Calvin Johnson had a good season catching 78 passes for 1,331 yards at 17.1 YPC & 12 TD's. That's some nice stats right there & shows Johnson to be living up to his 1st round status. The problem again though, is depth. Rookie RB Kevin Smith came in 2nd on receptions with 39 catches for 286 yards. #2 WR Shaun McDonald had 35 catches for 332 yards 1 TD. 35 catches! TE Michael Gaines had 23 catches for 260 yards & 1 TD. It's pretty safe to say that whoever the QB is for the Lions next season would like at least a decent #2 option to throw to- either a WR or TE.

OL- Well, for a team that was so poor in it's offensive statistics, it only gets worse when you know that the OL gave up 52 sacks, had a team rushing average of 3.8 yards per carry & was a full 2,200 yards behind it's opponants on yards gained for the year. It's not good. Oddly though, the players are not bad, individually. Jeff Backus is the LT. There is talk he might move inside to OG. Gosder Cherilus was drafted in Round 1 last season and would look odds-on to start at RT next season. Edwin Mulitalo is getting up in age & Stephen Peterman is nothing special at RG. Dominic Raiola is the center & isn't a bad player. A quality LT & a new OG might get this OL back to respectability. Possibly better QB might just help too....

DL- Well....it just doesn't get any better. This is a team that was last in the NFL for Points, Yards & Rushing Yards allowed. It only had 30 sacks for the season. The opposition completed 50% of it's 3rd down plays.The starting DT's, Cory Redding & Chartric Darby combined for 5 saxcks between them- and these two are known for their pass rushing skills. Teams ran at 5.1 YPC against the Lions. Obviously, the DT's were not playing up to standard. DE's Dwayne White & Jared DeVries combined for 8 sacks (White got 6). Upgrades at all DL positions, perhaps excluding White, are possible. They CERTAINLY need an interior DL that can stop the run.

LB- Paris Lenon had 121 tackles, 2 sacks & 2 fumbles this season, not bad. Ernie Sims had 113 tackles & 1 sack. Ryan Nece had 68 tackles & 2 sacks. Ok...they are not TERRIBLE. But they are still part of the defence that couldn't stop the run. It could be argued, however, that better play on the DL would assist the LB's. Ernie Sims is a quality player & needs a team built around him. Jordan Dizon, last season's 2nd round pick, could step in at starting MLB next season.

DB's- Ok, first things first- the DB's actually had the highest rated Defensive team stat for the Lions, finishing 27th against the pass...and that's the good news. Now, to bring them back to 'reality'...they had, wait for it....4 INT's all season. 4. As in less than 5. And the best part? 3 of those INT's were by LB's & DL's. That means that 1, yes 1, DB for the Lions got an INT this season. And that honour goes to starting CB Leigh Bodden who took his one opportunity to the bank. Only the bank was 2 yards away. And wasn't in the End Zone. To say that the Lions could use a difference maker in the DB's is an understatement. Of course, it could also be argued that better pass rush from the DL might help them. But really, 1 INT between all of them for a year?? In saying that, Kalvin Pearson, Daniel Bullocks & Leigh Bodden did combine for 9 fumbles...so it's not ALL bad. And remember- they did finish 27th against the pass...

ST- Don't dispair Lions fans. There is some light at the end of the tunnel. Jason Hanson. He can kick. 21 of 22 attempts. And no missed XP either! MVP!! And Nick Harris, the punter, averaged 43.9 yards a punt! Go ST! As for KR & PR...well...Aveion Cason wasn't terrible in KR...so it's safe to say that ST's was the Lions shining light in 2008/09.

Let's look at the FA's of the Lions this off season-
Great news! Top rated QB Dan Orlovsky is an UFA! Yay! Include MVP Jason Hansen to that list too, along with starting WR Shaun McDonald, back-up RB Rudi Johnson, starting RT George Foster & starting MLB Paris Lenon, and a couple of back-ups in Shaun Cody & Moran Norris too. It's quite possible that, after such a terrible season, that these players will not be sought after by other teams & could be brought back to the Lions with a minumum of fuss. But you have to ask- do the Lions WANT them? It could be a case of addition by subtraction & they are better off letting them go.

Recent Draft Picks of note-
Last season saw the Lions add Gosder Cherilous in Round 1. He'll likely move into the starting line-up at RT this season. Jordan Dizon in round 2 was Paris Lenon's back-up at MLB. With Lenon a FA, it could be Dizon's time. RB Kevin Smith looks like he's the starting RB for the foreseeable future. Add Jerome Felton to the list of rookies from last year at FB & also Cliff Avril was decent in limited time at DE this season. Calvin Johnson & Ernie Sims, two other recent 1st round picks are solid to very good. Outside of that, the Lions havn't had too many hits in the last few years in the draft.

So, what's the biggest needs?
Well, good question. Definately everything starts with a QB. And when you have the #1 pick of the draft, well, maybe it's time to grab a new QB? Don't forget though, the Lions also have Dallas' 1st round pick (#20) which COULD allow them to look elsewhere with pick #1. A LT, DT, CB, SS, FS, WR, TE or OG are also 'needs' for this team. Add in a possible need for DE too. Really, the Lions are a few seasons, or REALLY good drafting & FA signing away from being competitive. If Chadman had to put the needs in order, he'd say QB-1, LT-2, DT-3, CB-4, TE-5, DE-6, WR-7, SS-8, FS-9, OG-10...but they could use 2 DT's in reality. And probably 2 CB's too.

That's the Lions profile, for now. With any FA signings, this will change, and also a new HC will give a better idea what direction they might look.

Hope this wasn't too boring!

Next up will be....the St Louis Rams...

bthorn86
01-05-2009, 01:43 AM
great post right here. You pretty much covered the Lions. If i was the GM of the Lion's i might take stafford or bradford 1, but something that i think they might think long and hard about is trading that pick and move down and possibly add another 2nd round pick. This team in bad enough that it needs a serious injection of youth to the team. Looking forward to ur next post Chad

phillyesq
01-05-2009, 08:07 AM
Great post, Chadman.

The Lions are in serious trouble. Outside of Calvin Johnson and perhaps Sims, they don't really have any other guys that you can build around. Mike Furrey, who led the NFL in receptions last season (I think) should be back next year, so that might be another positive. But they need a lot of help.

For an interesting perspective, how many of those guys could start for the Steelers? Certainly Johnson, but that is about it. Perhaps Redding at DE or Backus as well. But that is about it. Interesting comparing the cream of the crop to the bottom of the barrel.

TallyStiller
01-05-2009, 08:44 AM
I believe the Lions have a second #1 from the Roy Williams deal, but I'm not sure... have seen suggestions that they go QB high, then come back for O line later R1 on draft sites.

SidSmythe
01-05-2009, 10:23 AM
The Lions have the COWBOYS #1 and #3 and one other pick for Roy Williams.

IF i were them i'd trade DOWN out of the #1 overall. They need talent and a lot of it. Dallas missing the playoffs helped them get a better pick in the 1st round.

This team needs leadership and of course an O-Line to protect their QB.

I can't believe they signed Culpepper for a 2 yr. deal ... personally i'd dump him.

ALSO ... a team like this should be looking for AGING players who are next to washed up but can give 1 more season to bring leadership and maturity to this team.

MeetJoeGreene
01-05-2009, 10:34 AM
I am not convinced that any of the QBs are worthy of a #1 #1 pick.

So I would trade down or go for another position.

Plus, maybe they sign a FA QB like that dude from NE.

SteelerOfDeVille
01-05-2009, 11:02 AM
I am not convinced that any of the QBs are worthy of a #1 #1 pick.

So I would trade down or go for another position.

Plus, maybe they sign a FA QB like that dude from NE.
Agreed - although Bradford would be my top guy.

Problem is finding a parter at #1 overall.

If I was there and couldn't trade I'd pass on the QB and go with the stud LT.

pfelix73
01-05-2009, 12:31 PM
That dude from NE is gonna be franchise tagged.... According to ESPN yesterday.

What other FA QB's will be out there? I'd go that route, if I were the Lions GM. Trade down a few picks and get a LT.

SteelerOfDeVille
01-05-2009, 12:54 PM
That dude from NE is gonna be franchise tagged.... According to ESPN yesterday.

What other FA QB's will be out there? I'd go that route, if I were the Lions GM. Trade down a few picks and get a LT.
he's getting tagged until they know for sure that Brady is back and healthy. Once Brady is good to go, they'll probably trade him away... and somebody like Detroit will give up would be wise to give up a first rounder or two to get him.

I think typically it requires 2 first rounders to get a franchise player - but, I would imagine there is some wiggle room in making such a deal.

Getting Cassell wouldn't be a bad thing, assuming you think he's a capable QB. If I'm the new GM, I probably jump in on the Leftwich sweepstakes and keep my 2 first rounders - and start building MY team.

Chadman
01-05-2009, 06:34 PM
All good points made in regards to skipping a QB at #1, but this is a team that lost 16 games & would have a totally disheartened fan base. The best way to get bums back on stadium seats & have team shirts selling is to grab a marquee, big name QB eith4er in FA or the draft. There won't be any big name QB's in FA, so the draft makes best sense.

As for Cassell getting tagged, Chadman thinks that will actually backfire. Chadman believes most teams will look at Cassell & see a system QB, not a QB that can lead a franchise. It could end up that the Patriots have Brady on his big contract & Cassell tagged on the same roster.

The reason Chadman doesn't think the Lions will go QB in FA/Trade is mainly because, whoever comes in as HC must know that this is not a quick fix. They'll grab a QB to grow into the position, along with their young RB & young WR...and live through the growing pains.

BigLebowski
01-05-2009, 09:29 PM
I would sign Kurt Warner or Kerry Collins and still draft a QB in first round.

Chadman
01-06-2009, 02:12 AM
#2- The St LOUIS RAMS

Another abysmal season, only somewhat less embarrassing than the Lions at 2-14. A quick look at the Rams stats shows they were 30th in points scored a game, 27th in yards gained per game, 26th in passing yards per game, 25th in rushing yards per game, 31st in points allowed per game, 28th in yards allowed per game, 19th in passing yards allowed per game & 29th in rushing yards per game. Much like the Lions, it would seem that the Rams could use help pretty much everywhere across the roster.

QB- Marc Bulger had a poor season with 11 TD's & 13 INTS this season. He was sacked 38 times, which doesn't help. He still completed his passes at 57% which isn't terrible. It's obvious he is not the QB he was 5 years ago & the Rams could easily look for a young QB to back-up & eventually replace him. His QB rating was only 71.4. His back-up was Trent Green....and as poor as Bulger was, he was miles ahead of Green who had 0 TD's & 6 INTS with a completion rate of 52.8%. At 700 years of age, it might be time for Green to retire. While it won't be viewed as a 'need', the Rams really do need to look at QB this off season.

RB- Steven Jackson IS the St Louis Rams. 1042 yards at 4.1 YPC & 7 TD's, he was pretty much the whole Rams offence right there. He's a class player & with better play around him, he can excel. Young Kenneth Darby didn't look too bad as the 3rd down back getting 140 yards at 4.4 YPC. Antonio Pittman was the #2 RB for the Rams and was not very effective (but better than Rudi Johnson for the Lions) with 296 yards at 3.7 YPC. Former Board-Favourite Brian Leonard continues to be a giant non-factor with just 2 rushes for 7 yards. A back-up RB is a need for this team. This team also needs a blocking FB to allow their best attacking weapon a bit more room to play with.

WR- Who would have thought that only a few years ago this was a high-flying passing offence?? "Superstar" WR Torry Holt had a real down year with just 64 catches for 796 yards & 3 TD's. And he was the leading WR! Young Donnie Avery was decent with 53 catches for 674 yards & 3 TD's & could possibly be the future of this teams WR corps. No doubt this team will benefit from Drew Bennett's return. But really- this is a long fall for this former high-octane passing team.

TE- Another position that could be helped by an injury return with Randy McMicheal expected back next season. Anthony Becht & Joel Klopfenstein filled in, poorly, for McMicheal. But even fully fit, McMicheal is on the downside of his career. An upgrade here is important, particularly if the WR's are starting to slip.

OL- Hmm...the OL gave up 45 sacks & had a team rushing average of 4.0 yards a rush. Not 'terrible', but certainly not great either. But stats don't tell the true story here. Orlando Pace is 500 years old. LT is a position of need as a result. Alex Barron is...ok...at best at RT. Brett Romberg at Center can be upgraded easily. Richie Icognito had his coach (Jimmy Haslett) slap a candy bar out of his hand on the sideline during the last game after ruling himself out with injury- he made no friends there & if Haslett is brought back (he SHOULD be) Icognito could be...well, going incognito on this roster. Only Jacob Bell looks safe on this OL, so it would seem that some upgrades will be needed. Last season's 3rd round pick John Greco could come into calculations at RT or RG next season. Depth is REALLY needed though, if not starters.

DL- 2 years in a row the Rams have gone DL in Round 1. It would seem unlikely they would again, however...this IS the Rams. Not one DL stood out this season for them, which is a concern when you look at the draft picks & money committed to this group. A true run stuffing DT is needed. Carricker & Chris Long need to step up or this unit will start looking like a giant money trap. Chris Long & James Hall contributed 10 sacks for the season, but 0 sacks came from the DT's all year & Leonard Little was a non-factor. DL 3 years in a row is not out of the question, but somewhat unlikely considering the weakness of their O-Line. The Rams allowed a whopping 4.9 yards a rush this season- clearly not good enough. 3rd down conversions against the Rams where up to just around 40%, which compared to the Lions is wonderful, but more pressure from the front 4 could help drop that number lower.

LB- This is a real weakness for the Rams. Pisa Tinoisamoa had 104 tackles, 3 sacks & 2 fumbles to lead the Rams this season. Will Witherspoon had 72 tackles & 1 sack & looks certain to be moved from MLB to weakside- Tinoisamoa's spot. Does this move Pisa to strongside? Chris Draft held strongside along with Quinton Culberson- both were 'ok' without shining in any area. MLB is a REAL need for this team to help bring that rushing average against them down.

DB- Ron Bartell & Oshiomogho Atogwe are both FA's this season & retaining them MUST be high on the Rams wish list as both are good players. Atogwe is boardering on better than that. 2006 1st rounder Tye Hill had a down year & needs to pick it up. SS Corey Chavous won't be back (most likely) & the Rams will need to fill that position urgently as there is very little depth on the roster. This is quite possibly the strongest unit on the roster & finished with the highest ranking at 19th for the Rams this season. This unit produced 11 INTS this season, not bad for such a poor team.

ST- K Josh Brown & P Donnie Jones form a good tandem- strange that both the bottom placed teams have good kickers & punters.... A KR/PR may be needed if Dante Hall is not retained.

FA- Ron Bartell, La'Roi Glover, Dane Looker, Dante Hall....not much outside of Bartell is a big danger if they lose them in FA. Actually, they are pretty well placed this off season in this regard.

Previous Drafts- The 3 previous 1st round picks, Adam Carricker, Chris Long & Tye Hill are important parts of the Rams defence. Last years 2nd round pick Donnie Avery is set to become the key to the WR Corps but previous 2nd rounders Leonard & Klopfenstein have the jury out. Last years 3rd rounder John Greco looks ready to step in next season, but the Rams have been poor with their 3rd round picks recently. In fact, this has been the Rams biggest problem. Draft picks beyond the 1st round in recent years have not panned out & they simply must get better in this department.

Biggest Needs- If Chadman was to pick the greatest needs for this team, he would start on the O-Line. LT, RT, Center & OG all could be upgraded. In fact, upgrading the OL might just make their best weapon better. WR's are also needed, but maybe less-so than a decent TE. A back-up RB wouldn't hurt. A big run stuffing DT & MLB are vital, as is a SS. So, in order...OT x 2-1, Center- 2, MLB-3, DT-4, TE-5, SS-6, OG-7, QB-8, WR-9, RB-10, FB-11...but really, a lot of the needs on this team are even- they need SS/DT/MLB as much as eachother, all the OL is a priority..TE is vital, but so are depth WR's...it's a bloody mess is St Louis!

All this considered, it's very hard to say what direction the Rams will look at this point until they get a HC. There are some quality pieces in this team, but Chadman gets the feeling that this lot needs a clean-out before they can get better.

Chadman's early positional pick in the draft would be OT at this point.

Next up....the Kansas City Chiefs...

Chadman
01-06-2009, 02:14 AM
Forgot to mention- the Rams are 1 team Chadman expects will look to FA or a TRADE for a QB this off season. This is a possible destination spot for Current Steelers back-up Byron Leftwich.

SteelerOfDeVille
01-06-2009, 01:10 PM
All good points made in regards to skipping a QB at #1, but this is a team that lost 16 games & would have a totally disheartened fan base. The best way to get bums back on stadium seats & have team shirts selling is to grab a marquee, big name QB eith4er in FA or the draft. There won't be any big name QB's in FA, so the draft makes best sense.

As for Cassell getting tagged, Chadman thinks that will actually backfire. Chadman believes most teams will look at Cassell & see a system QB, not a QB that can lead a franchise. It could end up that the Patriots have Brady on his big contract & Cassell tagged on the same roster.

The reason Chadman doesn't think the Lions will go QB in FA/Trade is mainly because, whoever comes in as HC must know that this is not a quick fix. They'll grab a QB to grow into the position, along with their young RB & young WR...and live through the growing pains.
sorry to go back to the prior team, BUT... I don't think they're as far away as 0-16 would indicate. that's not to say they're a good team... But, they are only a Kerry Collins away from 8-8.

If I'm the FO, I don't jump on a rookie QB just because he can be the face of the franchise - that means it takes longer to show progress.

Instead, I get the player who can make the biggest impact. And their line isn't good. they could actually come away with the Best Tackle and best guard.

I take Andre Smith and at #20, I take Duke Robinson. Kevin Smith laughs all the way to the Pro Bowl... with the 2nd rounder, i'd probably get a pass rushing DE...

SteelerOfDeVille
01-06-2009, 01:15 PM
#2- The St LOUIS RAMS

Another abysmal season, only somewhat less embarrassing than the Lions at 2-14. A quick look at the Rams stats shows they were 30th in points scored a game, 27th in yards gained per game, 26th in passing yards per game, 25th in rushing yards per game, 31st in points allowed per game, 28th in yards allowed per game, 19th in passing yards allowed per game & 29th in rushing yards per game. Much like the Lions, it would seem that the Rams could use help pretty much everywhere across the roster.

QB- Marc Bulger had a poor season with 11 TD's & 13 INTS this season. He was sacked 38 times, which doesn't help. He still completed his passes at 57% which isn't terrible. It's obvious he is not the QB he was 5 years ago & the Rams could easily look for a young QB to back-up & eventually replace him. His QB rating was only 71.4. His back-up was Trent Green....and as poor as Bulger was, he was miles ahead of Green who had 0 TD's & 6 INTS with a completion rate of 52.8%. At 700 years of age, it might be time for Green to retire. While it won't be viewed as a 'need', the Rams really do need to look at QB this off season.

RB- Steven Jackson IS the St Louis Rams. 1042 yards at 4.1 YPC & 7 TD's, he was pretty much the whole Rams offence right there. He's a class player & with better play around him, he can excel. Young Kenneth Darby didn't look too bad as the 3rd down back getting 140 yards at 4.4 YPC. Antonio Pittman was the #2 RB for the Rams and was not very effective (but better than Rudi Johnson for the Lions) with 296 yards at 3.7 YPC. Former Board-Favourite Brian Leonard continues to be a giant non-factor with just 2 rushes for 7 yards. A back-up RB is a need for this team. This team also needs a blocking FB to allow their best attacking weapon a bit more room to play with.

WR- Who would have thought that only a few years ago this was a high-flying passing offence?? "Superstar" WR Torry Holt had a real down year with just 64 catches for 796 yards & 3 TD's. And he was the leading WR! Young Donnie Avery was decent with 53 catches for 674 yards & 3 TD's & could possibly be the future of this teams WR corps. No doubt this team will benefit from Drew Bennett's return. But really- this is a long fall for this former high-octane passing team.

TE- Another position that could be helped by an injury return with Randy McMicheal expected back next season. Anthony Becht & Joel Klopfenstein filled in, poorly, for McMicheal. But even fully fit, McMicheal is on the downside of his career. An upgrade here is important, particularly if the WR's are starting to slip.

OL- Hmm...the OL gave up 45 sacks & had a team rushing average of 4.0 yards a rush. Not 'terrible', but certainly not great either. But stats don't tell the true story here. Orlando Pace is 500 years old. LT is a position of need as a result. Alex Barron is...ok...at best at RT. Brett Romberg at Center can be upgraded easily. Richie Icognito had his coach (Jimmy Haslett) slap a candy bar out of his hand on the sideline during the last game after ruling himself out with injury- he made no friends there & if Haslett is brought back (he SHOULD be) Icognito could be...well, going incognito on this roster. Only Jacob Bell looks safe on this OL, so it would seem that some upgrades will be needed. Last season's 3rd round pick John Greco could come into calculations at RT or RG next season. Depth is REALLY needed though, if not starters.

DL- 2 years in a row the Rams have gone DL in Round 1. It would seem unlikely they would again, however...this IS the Rams. Not one DL stood out this season for them, which is a concern when you look at the draft picks & money committed to this group. A true run stuffing DT is needed. Carricker & Chris Long need to step up or this unit will start looking like a giant money trap. Chris Long & James Hall contributed 10 sacks for the season, but 0 sacks came from the DT's all year & Leonard Little was a non-factor. DL 3 years in a row is not out of the question, but somewhat unlikely considering the weakness of their O-Line. The Rams allowed a whopping 4.9 yards a rush this season- clearly not good enough. 3rd down conversions against the Rams where up to just around 40%, which compared to the Lions is wonderful, but more pressure from the front 4 could help drop that number lower.

LB- This is a real weakness for the Rams. Pisa Tinoisamoa had 104 tackles, 3 sacks & 2 fumbles to lead the Rams this season. Will Witherspoon had 72 tackles & 1 sack & looks certain to be moved from MLB to weakside- Tinoisamoa's spot. Does this move Pisa to strongside? Chris Draft held strongside along with Quinton Culberson- both were 'ok' without shining in any area. MLB is a REAL need for this team to help bring that rushing average against them down.

DB- Ron Bartell & Oshiomogho Atogwe are both FA's this season & retaining them MUST be high on the Rams wish list as both are good players. Atogwe is boardering on better than that. 2006 1st rounder Tye Hill had a down year & needs to pick it up. SS Corey Chavous won't be back (most likely) & the Rams will need to fill that position urgently as there is very little depth on the roster. This is quite possibly the strongest unit on the roster & finished with the highest ranking at 19th for the Rams this season. This unit produced 11 INTS this season, not bad for such a poor team.

ST- K Josh Brown & P Donnie Jones form a good tandem- strange that both the bottom placed teams have good kickers & punters.... A KR/PR may be needed if Dante Hall is not retained.

FA- Ron Bartell, La'Roi Glover, Dane Looker, Dante Hall....not much outside of Bartell is a big danger if they lose them in FA. Actually, they are pretty well placed this off season in this regard.

Previous Drafts- The 3 previous 1st round picks, Adam Carricker, Chris Long & Tye Hill are important parts of the Rams defence. Last years 2nd round pick Donnie Avery is set to become the key to the WR Corps but previous 2nd rounders Leonard & Klopfenstein have the jury out. Last years 3rd rounder John Greco looks ready to step in next season, but the Rams have been poor with their 3rd round picks recently. In fact, this has been the Rams biggest problem. Draft picks beyond the 1st round in recent years have not panned out & they simply must get better in this department.

Biggest Needs- If Chadman was to pick the greatest needs for this team, he would start on the O-Line. LT, RT, Center & OG all could be upgraded. In fact, upgrading the OL might just make their best weapon better. WR's are also needed, but maybe less-so than a decent TE. A back-up RB wouldn't hurt. A big run stuffing DT & MLB are vital, as is a SS. So, in order...OT x 2-1, Center- 2, MLB-3, DT-4, TE-5, SS-6, OG-7, QB-8, WR-9, RB-10, FB-11...but really, a lot of the needs on this team are even- they need SS/DT/MLB as much as eachother, all the OL is a priority..TE is vital, but so are depth WR's...it's a bloody mess is St Louis!

All this considered, it's very hard to say what direction the Rams will look at this point until they get a HC. There are some quality pieces in this team, but Chadman gets the feeling that this lot needs a clean-out before they can get better.

Chadman's early positional pick in the draft would be OT at this point.

Next up....the Kansas City Chiefs...
btw, nice work on the write ups...

flippy
01-06-2009, 01:31 PM
keep this going after the playoffs. interesting stuff, but i can't seem to get fully interested in it just yet.

Chadman
01-06-2009, 06:46 PM
Thanks SOD- appreciate the comments! Chadman's just glad he's not boring you to death!!

And Flippy- never fear- this is an ongoing process that will go well beyond the playoffs. If Chadman waits, he'll never get it done the way he wants, so he'll get these early teams out of the way now, while he has time, and we'll get into the draft stuff & FA stuff as time goes on.

flippy
01-06-2009, 07:01 PM
Thanks SOD- appreciate the comments! Chadman's just glad he's not boring you to death!!

And Flippy- never fear- this is an ongoing process that will go well beyond the playoffs. If Chadman waits, he'll never get it done the way he wants, so he'll get these early teams out of the way now, while he has time, and we'll get into the draft stuff & FA stuff as time goes on.

this could be the best thread ever once we get to the offseason :D

Hardliner
01-07-2009, 05:10 PM
Eagerly anticipating the Chadman's review of the Chiefs in his next overview. I'll be back with some comments, as you knew I would. :D

Chadman
01-08-2009, 01:36 AM
#3 The Kansas City Chiefs...

Another team with a 2-14 record. Another season of disappointment for Chiefs fans (that's you Hardliner!). A quick look at the season stats shows us that the Chiefs were 26th in points scored per game, 24th in yards per game, 20th in passing yards per game & 16th in rushing yards per game, while on defence they were 29th in points allowed per game, 31st in yards allowed per game, 28th in passing yards per game & 30th in rushing yards allowed per game. Looking at the stats, it seems that the defence certainly let the Chiefs down as it's offensive stats should have been good enough (particularly in a division that had an 8-8 winner) to at least spring another win or two. While offence wasn't 'horrible', it still could use a bit of work, however.

QB- Tyler Thigpen is a young QB on the rise. He threw 18 TD's & 12 INTS at a 54.8% completion average & a QB rating of 76.0. That's not bad at all for a player on a 2-14 team. HOWEVER- the Chiefs big problem on offence is an inability to score points & this could be a result of Thigpen being thrust into the line-up too early. He is certainly worth keeping a hold of though, and the Chiefs have done well finding him. It could be that he really should just be a back-up QB though. Damon Huard is old, accurate & basically...a career back-up. He threw 2 TD's & 4 INTS at 61.7% completion average & a QB rating of 65.7. If Huard starts at all next season, the Chiefs are regressing. The other QB of note is 2006 3rd rounder Brodie Croyle who didn't throw a TD or INT this season while completing 69% of his passes. His problem seems to come from an inability to stay healthy. Both Croyle & Thigpen are promising young QB's. But both need to step up for the Chiefs to compete. With this in mind, it might be in the Chiefs best interests to persue a starting quality QB in FA until either Thigpen or Croyle are ready to step up. Drafting QB though, seems a bit of a waste with these two on the books.

RB- Larry Johnson is a problem. Not only is he getting in trouble outside of football, but the Chiefs might be getting fed up with him too. In fact, it might be time for the Chiefs to cash in on Johnson. Someone will pay-up for him & the Chiefs might get more value for the TEAM by doing this. Still 874 yards at 4.5 YPC is hard to replace. But is the distraction more of a problem? Jamaal Charles looked promising in his opportunities, rushing for 357 at 5.3 YPC. Kolby Smith disappeared this season after looking promising in the past. Mike Cox is a servicable, at best, fullback.

WR- Dwayne Bowe is an excellent WR. 86 catches, 1022 yards, 7 TD's...looks good. HOWEVER- he needs to get in shape & improve his hands. He is a superstar in waiting...if he wants to be. Mark Bradley came over from the Baears & grabbed 30 catches for 380 yards & 3 TD's in around 10 games. He has assumed the #2 role & if he can ever live up to his promise, could be a good addition. Devard Darling was a big disappointment & Jeff Webb looks to have regressed. The potential is there, but is the desire?

TE- Tony Gonzales is a freak. Awesome catching TE. 96 catches, 1058 yards, 10 TD's. BUT...he's old. And worse- he's a sook. After not catching 100 passes for the season TG has a whinge to the media. He tried to organise a trade at the beginning of the year for a 3rd round pick. He now demands that Tyler Thigpen be the starting QB, Herm & Chan are retained & that the Chiefs do anything other than "REBUILD". How about just catch passes TG? Still, he's the best player on this team, so a little whinging will be allowed. There is nothing behind him- Brad Cottram (who??)- so unless the Chiefs are willing to move on without him, expect the Chiefs to pander to a lot of TG's wishes.

OL- This is an interesting area of this team. Stats say they are pretty good. Only gave up 35 sacks this season (not bad with young QB's) & the team rushing average is 4.8, so statistically, they look good. But- keep in mind- Thigpen is a very mobile QB, so he's likely responsible for quite a bit of the lower sack total, and the Chiefs also had an excellent 1-2 punch on the ground in Johnson & Charles. Still- statistics do count, and the OL is not a massive concern for the Chiefs. Brandon Albert (much loved board target) lived up to expectations & even moved in to to starting LT position. Brian Waters is an EXCELLENT LG for the Chiefs. Center Rudy Niswanger can be upgraded. He's servicable. & the right side of Adrian Jones & Damian McKintosh is only servicable. But at least they are that- servicable. It could be upgraded, but for the Chiefs, there are greater areas of concern.

DL- Ok....here is where it all falls apart for the Chiefs. Know how many sacks the Chiefs got this season? Anyone? 10. Yep. 10...all up. This, from a team with former 1st round picks Glenn Dorsey & Tamba Hali on it. Hali got 3 sacks, Dorsey 1 & Jason Babin chipped in with 2. Not only did they get no pressure on the QB, they also gave up 5 YPC at the same time. Not only is the DL unable to get pressure, they are porous as well. Here is the biggest problem, personel wise, for the Chiefs. They need a pass rushing DE & a run clogging DT. Badly. Then they need back-ups to spell them & put pressure on the starters. Badly. How much do they miss Jared Allen??

LB- Don't worry...as bad as the DL is, the LB's are not forgiven. Derrick Johnson, the 2005 1st round pick, had 85 tackles & 2 sacks. But he was weak against the run. In fact, from all reports...he is simply that- weak. He needs to add some muscle to his frame or he runs the risk of being targetted by other teams RB's. Donnie Edwards is old...and looks it. Pat Thomas was supposed to be an upgrade on Napolean Harris...and wasn't. Career back-up Rocky Boiman stepped in at MLB admirably, but if the Chiefs can push him back to back-up duty, they'll be better served. And Demorrio Williams continued his career underachievement that he started at the Vikings with the Chiefs. In all...it's an abortion at LB.

DB- Don't dispare Chiefs fan. That's you Hardliner. There is a silver cloud for you- the DB's are pretty decent. Jarrad Page is a good player at FS, had 85 tackles & 4 INTs for the year. SS Bernard Pollard loves to hit & had 98 tackles for the year. CB's Brandon Carr & Brandon Flowers were good- picking off INTS & playing coverage well. It's a young, promising group that can ONLY look better with some form of QB pressure from up front. Add DeJuan Morgan & Maurice Leggett to the mix & there is some depth there.

ST- K Conner Barth is ok, young & needs another shot probably. Competition doesn't hurt though. P Dustin Colquitt is solid to good & averaged 44.4 yards a punt this season. The Chiefs used about 80 KR's this season. Wonder if they'd like Dante Hall back?

FA- This off season the Chiefs have Adrian Jones, Pat Thomas & Jon McGraw off contract as UFA. If they lose any or all of them, this franchise will not fall apart. Jones could be brought back, but he can be upgraded too. A couple of RFA's like Jeff Webb & Jarrad Page would expect to be resigned. They are in decent shape in FA.

Previous Drafts- Last season saw Glenn Dorsey & Branden Albert added in Round 1. Albert was a success. Dorsey was not. At least, not yet. It is way too early to give up on him yet though. 2nd round pick Brandon Flowers stepped in as a starter as did 5th round pick Brandon Carr. 3rd round pick Jamaal Charles contributed & also 3rd round pick DeJuan Morgan played some. 2008 was not a bad draft class for the Chiefs. However- their #1 pick needs to step it up for them to improve. Other recent picks Tamba Hali, Dwayne Bowe & Derrick Johnson all start, but Johnson really needs to bulk up or could be gone soon. 2006 2nd rounder Bernard Pollard is a starter, but 2007 2nd round pick Turk McBride needs to step it up soon. Add to that 2007 3rd round pick Tank Tyler & 2006 3rd rounder Brodie Croyle. Looking at this draft history- the Chiefs have little problem bringing in good players- but they can't seem to score 'great' players.

Biggest Needs- DEFENSIVE FRONT 7. Anyone that can play there is needed. Possibly some right sided OL too. And a back-up TE. And possibly a back-up RB. And a WR. Looking outside of the draft- a QB that can show leadership & poise would double the Chiefs wins instantly.

The Chiefs are a really hard team to evaluate. The talent is there...sort of...but they lack real 'premier' talent across the board. They can't really afford to lose Tony G or Larry Johnson, so Chadman expects that, to keep them happy, the Chiefs will splash out in FA to grab a QB & possibly use FA to rebuild the D. The simply MUST get more pressure on the QB & stop the run. But you know what? with all this said, the real problem might be the FO. Or more to the point- the HC. This team needs leadership & direction. Herm just isn't giving them that. LJ & TG won't stop whinging while Herm keeps pandering to them. This team NEEDS Mike Shanahan or Bill Cowher more than it needs player talent. Until Herm is terminated though, watch for the Chiefs to keep throwing talent away...

Next up...the Seattle Seahawks..

Northern_Blitz
01-08-2009, 11:44 AM
Nice write ups Chadman!

My Brother's a Cheif's fan. He said that it almost looked like they were throwing games at the end of the season (with about 3 4th quarter collapses in the last month). I also think that their full season offensive stats are skewed because they were so terrible at the beginning of the season. They started lighting up the score board with Thigpen and Chan Gailey's spread offence (I wonder if Thigpen's mobility has CG thinking of his time with the Steelers).

They showed last year that they wern't afraid to pull the triger on a big deal with a great player. I think they will be trying to pick up picks and rebuild. Plus, they will be bringing in a new GM (Pioli?), and what better way for a new GM to put a stamp on the team than to trade away vetrans and bring in a bunch of promissing new rookies. I think they also have a bunch of cap room, so bringing in a good - great UFA might be in the cards (if I were them I'd look D).

If they keep CG and his spread offence, I wonder if they trade LJ to pick up more draft picks. I think Jamal Charles could be a 3 down back in that kind of offence, or they could pair him up with another rookie RB. Their offence started to turn around when LJ was out IIRC.

Since they are reasonably solid at alot of the big money positions (QB, OT, and CB), I think that if there are a couple DLinemen they like at 3, they would be a good candidate to trade down a couple spots to try to pick up another pick. But, you always need a partner. If they did that, and traded LJ, they'd have a solid number of high picks again.

I wonder if they would consider trading AG (although a great TE is a huge help to a developing QB).

I think it could be another solid draft for the Cheifs, who might be able to contend in 2 or 3 year if they can shore up their front 7. Despite a terrible season, I think there is room for optimism for Cheif fans (unlike fans of teams like the Lions, Bengals, or Browns).

Hardliner
01-08-2009, 11:46 AM
Impressive review from the Chadman, especially so for not being (I would guess) an avid follower of the Chiefs. Allow me to expand and hit on a few key points made by the Chadman and his analysis:

QBOTF, Tyler Thigpen? You know why we know the entire Chiefs organization needs to be gutted? Because there are people in Kansas City who believe Thigpen is a franchise quarterback. Heís not Rich Gannon! Heís not. Gannon is a once-in-a-lifetime diamond in the rough. His story was more improbable than Kurt Warnerís. It took a little more than a decade for Gannon to scrape off the rough and turn himself into a franchise QB. Letís check back in on Thigpen in 2017. If heís still in the league, then weíll build Super Bowl plans around him. Right now, Thigpen is a solid backup as long as the team is committed to running the spread. He completed just 54.8 percent of his passes in an offensive system that hands a QB a 60 percent completion rate

Next, in no particular order, the Oline, focusing especially on the weak right side:

One half of the Sunflower Slowdown.Adrian Jones, OG, a Kansas alumnus, and Damion McIntosh, OT, a Kansas State grad, slowed all Chiefs traffic headed right. Every time the Chiefs tried to run right, traffic was reduced to one clogged lane and there was constant construction. What was really frustrating was how wide open the opposite lanes were headed into KCís backfield.

And then, there is the continuing frustration of the Chief's inability to draft even serviceable DTs. Past high picks squandered on the likes of Ryan Sims, Eddie Freeman, Jr. Siavii, and now a 5th overall on Glenn Dorsey?

What in the hell are they doing playing Dorsey straight-up over a guard?
This is the single-worst, defensive-strategy decision Iíve seen. Honestly, defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham and defensive-line coach Tim Krumrie should be fired today.
And Herm Edwards owes owner Clark Hunt a detailed explanation of why he allowed Dorseyís rookie season to be wasted by a boneheaded scheme. Short of Cunningham and DL coach Tim Krumrie owning compromising blackmail photos of Edwards, Hunt has no choice but to promptly relieve Edwards of his responsibilities.
You donít draft a 5-foot-11, 300-pound defensive tackle at No. 5 overall, give him $20-plus million in guaranteed money and then ask him to be a run-stuffer lined head-up over a guard.
For those of you who know a little about line play, itís the equivalent of the Indianapolis Colts turning Peyton Manning into an option quarterback. If Indianapolis did that, Colts fans would justifiably rush the field and trample Tony Dungy and his offensive coaching staff.
Dorsey is listed at 6-1, 297 pounds. Even at those dimensions, the strategy is asininely inappropriate. But if Dorsey is 6-1, then I have some real estate in Florida, just slightly underwater, to entice you.
Dorsey is a butterball, a Jerry Ball, a three-technique tackle who should line up on the outside shoulder of the guard and explode upfield. Thatís the only way he can be successful in the NFL. As long as he lines up helmet to helmet with a guard, heíll remain a line-of-scrimmage statue.

The above are some of my personal lowlights for the 2008 Chiefs. Clearly, the team needs a complete and thorough makeover starting with a new incoming GM (Looks as if it'll be Scott Pioli from NE if he and Clark Hunt can agree on lines of power), coaching staff and spending some of their $30 Million in surplus dollars on competent free agents, especially at LB (As Chadman pointed out), DLinemen, and probably RB as LJ has all but quit on the team and wants out.

I also feel the top pick will be a QB at the #3 position overall with Bradford being the guy most preferred if he comes out, as expected, unless the Lions nab him first, then, Stafford. Thanks again to the Chadman for his analysis and draft review.

Iron Shiek
01-08-2009, 12:19 PM
I'd be worried if they pick Stafford. That dude, to me, has Rex Grossman written all over him. I've noticed alot of instances of poor decision making in Stafford and its been widely reported as well. Big arms aren't everything. This is not a good year for QB's...hopefully the Chiefs can land a decent, sound veteran to get the youngsters someone to rally around...

phillyesq
01-08-2009, 03:27 PM
Chadman, love the team by team reviews. Keep 'em coming!

Chadman
01-08-2009, 10:28 PM
#4 The Seattle Seahawks

Hmm...this is a hard team to evaluate. Was it injuries, age, coaching or a lack of talent that pushed this team to 4-12 for the season. This is a team that has been to the play-offs the previous 5 seasons. It could be that all of these are factors in what happened to the Seahawks this season. Certainly- having Holmgren say that he wasn't coming back next season so early didn't help the team's focus. From that point on...the Seahawks never looked 'good'. A quick look at the offensive stats shows they were 25th in points scored per game, 28th in yards per game, 29th in passing yards per game & 19th in rushing yards per game. Defensively they were 25th in points allowed per game, 30th in yards allowed per game, 32nd in passing yards allowed per game & 18th in rushing yards allowed per game. Certainly their defence, particularly their pass defence, is in need of work. The offence looks bad, but one wonders what effect a healthy Hasselback will make to that team? Still, like the 3 teams before them, there are quite a few areas that need work, so there are a number of directions they can look at..

QB- Matt Hasselback is 33 years old & couldn't finish the season due to bulging disks in his back. That's the excuse. BUT- even with that in mind, before his season was pulled, he was struggling. 5 TD's to 10 INT's with a 52.2% passing completion & a QB rating of 57.8 isn't good. He was sacked 19 times which, when you consider how many times Ben gets hit, isn't THAT bad- not bad enough to excuse 5 TD's & 10 INT's anyway. From the get-go Hasselback looked out of sorts this season. Maybe he doesn't have enough quality to throw to? Maybe he was upset Holmgren is leaving. Whatever it was, he needs to get that out of his system for the team to move forward. Seneca Wallace stepped in again for Hasselback this season & threw 11 TD's to 3 INT's with a completion percentage of 58.3%. That's not bad. He also ran at 4.9 YPC. He's a dangerous player. But he's no starting QB. He simply doesn't give the Seahawks enough points. Charlie Frye was brought in, threw 2 TD's & 2 INT's at 52.2% completion & was promptly never heard from again. He's an UFA this off season so don't expect him back.

RB- Starter Maurice Morris gained 574 yards at 4.3 YPC & no TD's. He's a UFA this off season. Back-up Julius Jones gained 698 yards at 4.4 YPC. Yeah- the back-up outgained the starter- odd. But that is how they show on the depth chart. Jones is an alright RB- not great, but servicable. Problem is- both these guys can be upgraded. The way Chadman sees it- if you have 2 RB's that are splitting carries 50/50- you don't have a starting quality RB. Not many teams win SB's without starting quality RB's. TJ Duckett was the 'short yardage" RB which is just as well- he averaged 2.8 YPC. He did have 8 TD's though. He's simply not a viable option as more than short yardage anymore. Fullback Leonard Weaver was running at 4.3 YPC this season & has been praised for his improved blocking ability. Which leads you to question how board-favourite Owen Schmitt will fit in to the mix next season. Schmitt had very limited opportunities this season, however, Weaver is a FA so perhaps this is Schmitt's opportunity?

WR- Quick- name the starting WR's for the Seahawks. Umm....hmm...ahh...they have Bobby Engram, right? Yep Engram is a WR for the Seahawks. Mainly used as a slot WR however. He had 47 catches for 489 yards & no TD's this season & LEAD THE WR'S. That's not good. Koren Robinson had 31 catches for 400 yards & Deion Branch returned from long-term injury to have 30 catches for 412 yards. Branch also grabbed 4 TD's for the year. But really...this is poor. REALLY poor. And it goes some way to explaining the struggles the QB's had in throwing TD's. This could EASILY be the greatest need going into the off season.

TE- 2008 2nd round pick John Carlson not only was the leading TE on the roster- he was the leading reciever for the team with 55 catches for 627 yards & 5 TD's. That's not terrible production from a rookie & he looks to be a keeper. Will Heller is the #2 TE & he had a whopping 4 catches for 29 yards....bloody Carlson stole all his catches!

OL- Ok, so here we have an OL that gave up 36 sacks this season & had a team rushing average of 4.2 YPC. It's solid without being great. Factor in that the starting center & RT were both out injured & this starts to look half-way to decent. However- the teams best OL is Walter Jones who is 35 & is coming off microfracture surgery. Not good. Also, Ray Willis, who stepped in at RT, is a UFA this off season & could walk. Depth is weak & starters are old...it could be time for an upgrade. And drafting at #4 could give them a shot at a premier LT. At full strength this OL is decent- it can be upgraded though.

DL- This is not a bad unit- personel wise. However, they lack a true 'star' at this point. Rocky Bernard & Branden Mebane hold the middle & combined for 94 tackles & 10 sacks which isn't bad at all. Behind them is Claude Wrotten, Howard Green & Red Bryant. It's a solid group. At DE the Seahawks have Daryl Tapp, Patrick Kerney, 2008 1st round pick Lawrence Jackson & Baraka Atkins. Tapp had 6 sacks & Kerney 5 (he got injured too) so while not bad stats, they could be improved upon. As you can see- Chadman's point was that the DL is solid. But like the rest of the Seahawks they lack that..."splash player" that Mike Tomlin talks about. They only allowed opposition teams to run at 4.2 YPC, which isn't terrible.

LB- With Peterson, Tutupu & Hill you have a solid 3 man starter group. But they under achieved this season. They simply don't produce enough pressure on QB's. They are very athletic & are hardly easy to replace, but an upgrade...somewhere...if they don't upgrade the DL is definately not a bad option. Before they get too comfortable with this group though- Leroy Hill is a UFA & will need to be resigned. Julian Peterson has admitted to the media that this group simply didn't make enough plays this season.

DB- Now here is a prolem. Individually they are all fine players. But outside of Marcus Trufant, they are small. This isn't ALWAYS a problem, but Larry Fitzgerald toyed with this group. The Seahawks FO have apparently targetted the size of the CB's as a problem that needs to be fixed. But Chadman doesn't think the FO are being smart about this. This is a group that up until this season have not been victimised due to size. As many of the board posters have said before, your CB's are only as good as your pass rush. It's a solid group with Trufant, Josh Wilson, Kelly Jennings & Kevin Hobbs. Can it get better? Yes- but simply getting a 'big' CB won't stop Larry Fitzgerald. The Safeties are Brian Russell & Deon Grant, both solid players, if (much like the rest of the team) not 'special' players. This group contributed 8 INT's this season.

ST- Olindo Mare is a solid, reliable K. The team is well served with him on board. He missed 3 FG on the season. Punter Jon Ryan averaged 45.6 yards per punt which is pretty solid. No KR or PR was overly outstanding although Josh Wilson did average 25.5 yards a KR...not bad.

FA- The Seahawks have a number of UFA's, most notably Bobby Engram, Maurice Morris, Leonard Weaver, Charlie Frye, Ray Willis, Leroy Hill, Koren Robinson, Marcus Tubbs & Howard Green. Only Hill is vital to being resigned, but no doubt they'll want to bring back Engram, Morris & maybe Weaver.

Previous Drafts- Last season saw DE Lawrence Jackson added in round 1. He had a limited role this season contributing just 2 sacks. He'll need to step it up next year as this team needs his 'splash plays' (Thank you Coach Tomlin..). 2006 1st round pick Kelly Jennings might need to step up his game next season as the DB's were abused too often. The team got good production out of 2008 2nd round TE John Carlson. 2007 2nd rounder Josh Wilson, 2006 2nd rounder Darryl Tapp, 2005 2nd rounder Lofa Tatupu...this team is good in Round 2. They have selected DL in rounds 3/4 for the last 2 years. They might need to add another this season.

For Chadman, this team's problems are not about personel. Well, not entirely. They are better than 4-12. It kind of reminds Chadman of Cowher's last season as HC. The team sort of...stopped trying to do the little things needed to win. No doubt Seattle knobheads will tell you injuries crippled this team- and in some way they did. But they are better than 4-12. Holmgren's decision to tell everyone this was his last season backfired. And added to this, Jim Mora walks into a team with low morale. Normally a 'new' coach can pep things up- but Mora has been sitting right there with them & might not be able to rouse up that 'pep' so easily. You don't want to say the team 'quit' on Holmgren, but.... If Chadman was in the FO, no 'safe' players this season. Grab 'impact' players to create those extra points this team needs. A WR, CB, DT & RB are needed. Maybe even a QB. That all being said- if a top tier LT is there at #4...it might be too hard to say no...

Next Up.....the Cleveland Browns..

MeetJoeGreene
01-08-2009, 11:35 PM
#4 The Seattle Seahawks

Next Up.....the Cleveland Browns..

Nah, Just skip the stains. Who the &$($ cares. They will still suck.

:brownssuck :brownssuck :brownssuck :brownssuck :brownssuck

RuthlessBurgher
01-09-2009, 07:38 PM
After reading Chadman's scouting reports on the top 4 teams so far, here is a possible mock draft for those teams at this point...

1. Detroit Lions - QB Matt Stafford, Georgia

Orlovsky? Culpepper? Stanton? Kitna? Yeah...they could use a franchise QB.

2. St. Louis Rams - OT Michael Oher, Mississippi

Orlando Pace's heir apparent at left tackle (better than Alex Barron there, for sure).

3. Kansas City Chiefs - OT Andre Smith, Alabama

With '08 rookie Brandon Albert taking over at LT for the Chiefs, they can plug the hulking Smith in at RT to continue rebuilding the strong o-line they had throughout most of this decade.

4. Seattle Seahawks - WR Michael Crabtree, Texas Tech

No first round WR last year and a WR in the top 4 this year? This kid's that good.

Chavezz
01-09-2009, 08:14 PM
After reading Chadman's scouting reports on the top 4 teams so far, here is a possible mock draft for those teams at this point...

Orlando Pace's heir apparent at left tackle (better than Alex Barron there, for sure).

With '08 rookie Brandon Albert taking over at LT for the Chiefs, they can plug the hulking Smith in at RT to continue rebuilding the strong o-line they had throughout most of this decade.

No first round WR last year and a WR in the top 4 this year? This kid's that good.

Just an FYI. No one drafts RT's early in the 1st RD. If they think that Albert is the LT of the future, it would be better to go in a different direction in the 1st rd. Or if you really want a RT, then trade back to the late 1st and get better value.

RuthlessBurgher
01-09-2009, 08:30 PM

Just an FYI. No one drafts RT's early in the 1st RD. If they think that Albert is the LT of the future, it would be better to go in a different direction in the 1st rd. Or if you really want a RT, then trade back to the late 1st and get better value.

If Bradford declares, I'm sure they will consider him. But other than that, they could improve their o-line or their pass rush. Looking at the best available guys in those roles, who would be the better overall player, Andre Smith or Brian Orakpo? I'd say Smith myself. Take the best available player at a position of need. Albert and Smith would give them the best bookend tackles in the league for the foreseeable future. Brian Waters is in his 30's now, but he is still a very solid LG in this league. That's the makings of a pretty darn good o-line. Imagine if they could get Alex Mack at the top of round 2 to replace Rudy Niswanger too? Wow. Thigpen already has some decent weaponry in Dwayne Bowe, Tony Gonzalez, and Larry Johnson (if they decide to keep Gonzo and LJ, that is), and with a line like that in front of him, that could be a pretty darn formidable offense. Hardliner, would you be opposed to picking a first round OT for the second year in a row?

Chadman
01-09-2009, 08:32 PM

If Bradford declares, I'm sure they will consider him. But other than that, they could improve their o-line or their pass rush. Looking at the best available guys in those roles, who would be the better overall player, Andre Smith or Brian Orakpo? I'd say Smith myself. Take the best available player at a position of need. Albert and Smith would give them the best bookend tackles in the league for the foreseeable future. Brian Waters is in his 30's now, but he is still a very solid LG in this league. That's the makings of a pretty darn good o-line. Imagine if they could get Alex Mack at the top of round 2 to replace Rudy Niswanger too? Wow. Thigpen already has some decent weaponry in Dwayne Bowe, Tony Gonzalez, and Larry Johnson (if they decide to keep Gonzo and LJ, that is), and with a line like that in front of him, that could be a pretty darn formidable offense. Hardliner, would you be opposed to picking a first round OT for the second year in a row?

Just remember that they only got 10 sacks for the season & the defence was....worse than poor.

Just sayin'...

Chavezz
01-09-2009, 08:40 PM
That was my point Chadman.

I can't remember the stat exactly but there were about 10-15 PLAYERS that had more sacks that the entire TEAM.

They almost have to go defense there. Orakpo?

Good to see you back on the horse Chadman, what happened?

RuthlessBurgher
01-09-2009, 09:08 PM

Just remember that they only got 10 sacks for the season & the defence was....worse than poor.

Just sayin'...

I'm by no means rooting for this to happen. I want every team ahead of us in the draft to take any position other than an o-lineman so all the best o-linemen fall to us! :wink:

They do need a pass rusher (or four), but I don't see an elite pass rusher worthy of such a high pick right now. Orakpo should go in the top half of the first round...but number #3 overall? I'm not sure that would be a value pick. Dorsey, Tyler, Hali, and Babin have underachieved for sure...maybe if the new GM (Pioli?) decides to clean house and get a new coaching staff to replace Herm and his boys, they could extract more of the talent of those guys.

Chadman
01-10-2009, 09:24 AM
That was my point Chadman.

I can't remember the stat exactly but there were about 10-15 PLAYERS that had more sacks that the entire TEAM.

They almost have to go defense there. Orakpo?

Good to see you back on the horse Chadman, what happened?

Chadman is thinking Orakpo or MAYBE Aaron Curry...but defence, regardless. When a team has only JUST hit double figures in sacks for the year- something needs to be done!

As for Chadman's 'absence'- work's been nuts & chadbaby preparations are in full swing, so there has been limited time for Chadman on here. Things are a little more under control now though- so you'll be seeing more of Chadman in the future..:-)

Hardliner
01-10-2009, 10:25 AM
re: the Chiefs and their value pick at #3 overall in the first round:

It depends on the new guys coming in and since there's a total and complete news blackout and lockdown from young Mr. Hunt, no one really has a clue as to who or when the new GM will be and if this GM will clean house. Conventional wisdom suggests it will be Pioli and heads will roll on the entire coaching staff BUT, no one really knows for sure.

That said, I think it's still safe to assume that the Chiefs will go for a QB with their first pick but if they're going for safe value, then a LT like Smith or Oher wouldn't surprise me either. I have a pal that's a Patties fan who tells me that if the guy is Pioli, he'll clean out the barn entirely. Even the ticket takers at Arrowhead will go! Fine by me.

That means he, Pioli, will deal LJ and Tony G to the highest bidders as well, hopeful of 3d or 4th round picks, and will want to first of all establish a firm foundation on the Oline then Dline. Branden Albert learned on the job in 2008 and did an excellent job at LT but, as we all know, he was a OG in college so if KC goes with a LT with the third overall pick, putting Albert at RG to replace 1/2 of the Sunflower Slowdown would not be too surprising. Also, it should be noted that 3d year player Herb Taylor is about ready to take over at RT and complete the Sunflower Slowdown demolition. Going OC in the 2d round would complete the makeover and give the Chiefs that foundation on the oline that Pioli is said to covet.

You guys are also right about the defense sucking but part of that is due to poor coaching on guys like Dorsey (mentioned in my earlier post) being miscast in their role. I think Pioli will invest heavily in the free agent market for LBs and DEs to shore up this side of the ball and it wouldn't surprise me to see the Chiefs go to a 3-4, depending on the new head coach. The secondary is a pleasant surprise and solid with CB rooks Flowers, Carr and Leggett turning in sparkling play this past season.

So if KC gets the Oline and Dline fixed in one off-season, it's not a complete turnaround but it is a start back toward respectability. Still, that QB position will be one in flux until some guy emerges as the answer. Would Pioli made a run for the odd man out in NE? Anything's possible so we're all hunkering down and expecting the most fireworks in decades this off-season as Chief's fans.

Chadman
01-13-2009, 01:58 AM
#5 The Cleveland Browns

Unlike most teams that are changing HC's, the Browns got in early & hired their new guy- ex Jets man Eric Mangini. Regardless of if he's a good choice or not- by getting him locked up this early, it gives the Browns & Mangini a chance to put 'his team' in place for next season. It was a good move to shore it up this quickly. Now the real questions about Mangini must be asked- if he is 'right guy' or not. The Browns went from a team that looked primed to compete for the AFC North to a team that was lucky to be competitive in the space of 1 off season. There are most likely several reasons for this, bad coaching, bad off season planning or even just getting plain lucky the previous season. Regardless, 2008 was a terrible season for a team that was, supposedly, on the rise. We'll take a quick look at their stats for the year- on offence the Browns were 31st in points scored per game, 31st in yards per game, 31st in passing yards per game & 26th in rushing yards per game. On defence, the Browns were 17th in points allowed per game, 26th in yards allowed per game, 14th in passing yards allowed per game & 28th in rushing yards allowed per game. Looking at these stats, we can assume they simply don't get enough offence, particularly in the passing game, and the Browns really struggle against the run. Also this team had just 17 sacks- 3rd lowest in the NFL. They'll need to do something about that if they want to improve..

QB- In 2007 the Browns selected QB Brady Quinn with the 22nd selection of the draft. Many expected that he would start on Day 1. But he was held back by another QB called Derek Anderson that came in & had a pretty good year. Credit must be given to former coach Crennel for not forcing Quinn into starting. BUT....now is definately the time for him to assume this role. Both Quinn & Anderson suffered injuries this season, but even before that, both QB's look poor. Anderson had 9 TD's & 8 INT's while completing just 50.2% of his passes. Quinn was no better with 2 TD's & 2 INT's at a 50.6% completion rate. It's not like these guys don't have good players to throw to. And it's not as if the OL was letting them get sacked a lot- only 24 sacks against them all season. No, simply, the QB's really sucked. If Mangini & the Browns are going to go anywhere, they need better play from these guys. It's time for Quinn to assume the starting role & develop. Otherwise this team needs to decide if Anderson is the future.

RB- Jamal Lewis is getting old. And slow. And it's showing. He was never a 'fast' runner anyway, but now he is boardering on pedestrian. That said, he still managed to churn out 1002 yards for the season, but at a paltry 3.6 YPC & only 4 TD's. This isn't really good enough. It could be that the poor passing game means Lewis has fewer lanes to run through, but regardless, an upgrade musn't be too far away for this team. Back-up Jerome Harrison had 246 yards at a whopping 7.2 YPC, but watching him- he isn't an every down RB. Fullback Lawrence Vickers is a decent runner & catcher of the ball.

WR- Braylon Edwards is an excellent WR. 55 catches for 873 yards at 15.9 YPC & 3 TD's- he leads the Browns recievers for the season. He's a go-to guy that ANY QB should be able to throw to. Even these Browns QB's. The #2 WR is an issue though. Donte Stallworth is just a deep threat & can't be counted on consistantly & Syndric Steptoe is....young. Another option opposite Edwards would be a QB's dream. At TE they have 'The Solja'. If only 'The Solja' could play through injuries. 43 catches for 428 yards & 3 TD's in another injury plagued season. If he EVER stays healthy- who knows? He 'might' live up to the expectations placed on him. #2 TE Steve Heiden is a decent player & had 23 catches for 239 yards. He's solid without being a star. WR Josh Cribbs is also on the roster, but he is simply a return man. The missing key here COULD be Joe Jurevicius. If he can ever stay healthy, he's a decent weapon.

OL- This is a pretty good group- particularly in pass blocking. Joe Thomas, Hank Fraley, Eric Steinbach, Rex Hadnot, Kevin Schaffer & Ryan Tucker make a good group. Seth McKinney is a good depth player too. As a group they only gave up 24 sacks for the season- this with some bad QB play. So give credit where it is due- they were also in a division that included 2 very good pass rushing teams in the Steelers & Ravens. 24 sacks is a good effort. Rushing though- is the weakness. This COULD be attributed to a lack of a real quality RB though. But for a team to average only 3.9 yards per rush- that's not good enough. They'll need to improve their run blocking to be a complete line.

DL- The Browns play a 3-4 defence like the Steelers. That's where the comparison ends. While the Steelers DL is strong & gets upfield & stuffs the run, the Browns wish they could do those things. NT Shaun Rogers was brought in via a trade last season & wasn't 'terrible'. But- he's no Casey Hampton. He did manage to get 4 sacks for the season (team leader) but the DL gave up 4.5 YPC for the season, which isn't good enough. DE's Shaun Smith & Corey Williams produced no sacks & little QB pressure. They are poor imitations of the Steelers 3 DL's. A 3-4 defence lives & dies by the effectiveness of the 3 DL's. This defence struggled all season. What's worse for the Browns- there is little depth along the line.

LB- D'Qwell Jackson put up big tackling numbers with 154 tackles on the season. His ILB parter Andra Davis had 90 tackles. These guys are pretty decent. If the DL in front of them was more stout, these guys would look better. The real issue comes at OLB where 2006 1st rounder Kamerion Wimbley is no James Harrison & 400 year old Willie McGinest is....400 years old. McGinest had 1 sack. Wimbley 4. These two are the guys that are supposed to get pressure on the QB. No doubt the DL is to blame in part, but these guys simply need to be better. McGinest may have played his last down. No doubt an upgrade here, or even inside, is needed.

DB- Ok- this is possibly the Browns strongest & most effective unit. The team had 23 INT's this season, 18 of those coming from the DB's. Rookie 5th round CB Brandon McDonald had 5 picks, one for a TD, and looks a solid player. Opposite him is 2007 2nd round CB Eric Wright who had 3 INT's himself- also 1 for a TD. The safeties are good- Brodney Pool & Sean Jones. Even the back-ups are solid with Travis Daniels, Terry Cousin & Mike Adams used in different packages. 23 INT's for a season is good- but when you add to that the terrible pass rush, the extra time the opposition QB had to pick them apart- then you start to understand how well this unit played.

ST- Kicker Phil Dawson was 30/36 this season, missing kicks from 30 yards onwards. He's servicable to good. Punter Dave Zastudil was solid with a 45.5 yard punting average. Joshua Cribbs is a good ST returner.

FA- Back-up RB Jason Wright, back-up OL Seth McKinney, LB's Andra Davis & Willie McGinest, CB Travis Daniels & Safeties Sean Jones & Mike Adams are all UFA this season. Although none are 'stars', they all have value to this organisation. If the Browns lose all or some of these players the depth of the squad will be tested. You'll note that these players are either the starters at weak positions or the depth at strong positions. Lose either & those units will need upgrading.

Previous Drafts- Scrap last years draft- only 3 picks for the year & 4th round LB Beau Bell was the top pick. The Browns collapse goes a long way to proving that a consistant influx of good, young players is vital to keeping a team improving every year. 2007 top pick Brady Quinn is vital to this team's success. If he steps up his game, the Browns have some hope. Other 1st rounders like Joe Thomas, Braylon Edwards & Solja Boy are established starters & are considered success', in their own ways. Kamerion Wimbley needs to step up his game & become a dominant pass rusher for this defence to have a chance. Previous 2nd round picks D'Qwell Jackson, Brodney Pool, Sean Jones & Eric wright have all moved into the starting line-up & played well. 3rd round picks for this club though have struggled & there is only mixed success from that point onwards. That being said, having last season's 5th round CB Brandon McDonald step in & start can be considered a draft stroke of genius. In all- this team rarely misses on it's first 2 picks.

The Browns are a team that needs better play from it's 'established' leaders. One of the 2 young QB's needs to step it up & become the leader of the offence. A good, reliable RB is needed to give balance to the team, as is a decent #2 WR option. The OL is solid & can be left as is. The defensive front 7 needs an upgrade. More pressure on the QB is needed, regardless of where it comes from in this team. And unless they can stop the run, this team will continue to lose in the cold months to the Steelers' & Ravens' of this league. And maybe therein lies the Browns problem. This team needs to develop, and that takes time. Yet the "Big Two" of this division are very good at showing up young, developing players, particularly through their defence & running games. So, in this 'win now' league, there is little time for young players to develop, and teams with a fan-base screaming out for success, are far more likely to pull the plug & move in a different direction if things don't pan out right away. As a result, these teams are in a continual state of flux- never moving forward & always chasing their tail. With that in mind, Chadman gives you the Cleveland Browns...

Chadman would expect a pass rusher- either OLB or DE, or a run stuffing ILB or NT would be the main options in this draft. But a RB & WR are also needed to put a solid roster together. If the top pass rushers are gone (Orakpo), look for the Browns to go ILB or RB in Round 1.

Next up...the Cincinnati Bengals...

SteelerOfDeVille
01-13-2009, 02:17 AM
I'm guessing Cleveland either goes RB or OLB tweener...

Chadman
01-14-2009, 02:49 AM
#6 The Cincinnati Bengals

Hmm...this is a team at a crossroads, in Chadman's opinion. Obviously, they had a bad season at 4-11-1. There is some talent on this team, but they appear to be one giant head-case. You never know what they'll be like. Actually- not true- you know they will be inconsistant. A large portion of the blame for this poor season will rest on the shoulders of Carson Palmer & his injury. With him back, they are a much better team. But there are serious holes on the roster & too many individuals that are question marks going into...well...every season...

A quick look at the stats for the Bengals shows that, on offence, they were 32nd in points scored per game, 32nd in yards per game, 30th in passing yards per game & 29th in rushing yards per game. On defence, they were 19th in points allowed per game, 12th in yards allowed per game, 15th in passing yards allowed per game & 21st in rushing yards allowed. What does this all tell us? Well, for such a poor record, this defence played pretty well. Better than 4 wins, anyway. But obviously the offence was...offensive. Again, a lot of this can be contributed to Palmer's injury. With him back under Center, this team could break .500 with the stats the defence put together.

QB- Carson Palmer is the main man of this team. He's a Franchise QB, and the 2nd best QB in this division. With him under Center & playing well, the Bengals are competitive. But he's been injured a bit these last couple of seasons. And, realistically, this season he started poorly with 3 TD's & 4 INT's while completing 58.1% of his passes. Having a disgruntled 'go-to' WR doesn't help, mind you. If he's healthy, and he has someone to throw to, QB is fine. Ryan Fitzpatrick was thrust into the starting line-up with Palmer's injury & showed that he's a genuine back-up. He threw 8 TD's & 9 INT's at 59.4% completion. Simply put- he didn't generate enough TD's for this team. With the guys he had to throw to- to be LAST in the NFL in points scored & 30th in passing yards per game is unforgivable. Anyone wonder if they regret not picking up Leftwich before the Steelers?

RB- Cedric Benson was picked up mid-season & produced 747 yards at 3.5 YPC. That's not good enough to carry an offence. But credit must be given- the Bengals had no passing game to balance things, so Benson was up against the wall on this one. Chris Perry showed everyone he's not a starting quality RB with 269 yards at an embarrassing 2.6 YPC. Not all the blame can go on the RB's- no passing game & a poor OL play can certainly put the brakes on the running game. But that doesn't mean an improvement can't be made here. Fullback Daniel Coates is ok. Nothing special.

WR- Potentially the strongest unit on the team- they are also the unit with the most chance of being a problem for the Bengals next season. Leading WR T.J. Houshmandzadeh (904 yards, 4 TD's) is off contract. "Star" WR Chad Johnson (540 yards, 4 TD's) doesn't want to be there. Chris Henry (220 yards, 2 TD's) is a walking police arrest. If the Bengals can keep this group signed, happy & out of jail (not a guarentee on all 3 options) they have an explosive WR corps. If not, Andre Caldwell probably becomes the #1 WR, unless they look to FA & the draft for options. TE Reggie Kelly had 31 catches, but for only 207 yards & a 6.7 YPC average. That barely moves the chains. Don't forget, however, that having Palmer back at QB might improve this unit out of sight.

OL- If you just look at stats, this group is poor. However, the stats are deceiving- not only because Palmer will improve the decision making & make the OL look better, but because injuries really played their part on this team. At full strength, they are reasonably strong & have some decent depth. Levi Jones, Stacy Andrews, Andrew Whitworth, Bobbie Williams & Eric Ghiaciuc are a young group on the rise. Back-ups Anthony Collins & Nate Livings played well when forced into action. And Kirk Barton & Scott Kooistra are solid back-ups. It's a decent group. But they MUST play better. Only getting 3.6 YPC in the running game is bad. But when you add in the 51 sacks allowed, the OL looks abysmal! Again- a good QB might make this group look better, and certainly injuries to starters don't help. But another addition through the draft might not hurt this team.

DL- The Bengals have a bunch of DE's that just seem...ok. Robert Geathers is probably the pick (38 tackles 2 sacks) but they must get better production from him. Antwan Odom (26 tackles, 3 sacks), Frostee Rucker (24 tackles, 1 sack) & Jonathan Fanene (30 tackles, 0 sacks) are, as Chadman said, ok. They need better pass rush. Only 17 sacks for the season, as a team, is not good enough. DT's John Thornton (30 tackles, 3 sacks), Domata Peko (67 tackles, 0 sacks) & Pat Sims (36 tackles, 1 sack) are all stout against the run, but like the DE's team mates, not so good at getting to the QB. Against the run, the Bengals allowed only 3.9 YPC, which is pretty good. This is not a 'bad' group, but a pass rusher like the guy they let go (Justin Smith) last season is required.

LB- Dhani Jones (116 tackles, 0 sacks), Rashad Jeanty (96 tackles, 0 sacks) & Brandon Johnson (83 tackles, 2 sacks) are pretty stout against the run. Injured LB Keith Rivers looked good before Hines Ward obliterated him (37 tackles, 0 sacks). Ok- they don't get to the QB much, but they are good in coverage & run stopping. This is possibly now the strength of this team.

DB- 2007 1st round CB Leon Hall is starting to turn into a decent player (75 tackles, 3 INT's & 1 TD). He mans one side. The other Bengal CB's, David Jones (43 tackles, 0 INT's), Jonathon Joseph (42 tackles, 1 INT) & Jamar Fletcher (16 tackles & 0 INT's) are all solid players too. This is not a bad group. When you consider that they were 15th against the pass but only managed 17 sacks for the season, you start to work out how well they played. Safeties Marvin White (68 tackles, 1 INT), Chinedum Ndukwe (64 tackles, 3 Sacks & 1 INT) & Chris Crocker (34 tackles, 2 sacks & 1 INT) are very good against the run & complement the CB's well. in all, this is a solid group that could be 'sneaky good'.

ST- Kicker Shayne Graham was ok for the season. Not great, but OK. They could replace him. Punter Kyle Larson only averaged 39.6 yards per punt this season. That's not good enough. And for a team with little offence this year, it put them in too bad a position to succeed. KR Glen Holt is pretty good & PR Antonio Chatman isn't terrible.

FA- The Bengals are ok in FA so long as they can retain WR TJ Houshmandzadeh. If he leaves, that leaves a large hole to fill on the roster. Other notable UFA's are DT John Thornton, RB Cedric Benson, QB Ryan Fitzpatrick & Kicker Shayne Graham.

Previous Drafts- 2008 1st round pick Keith Rivers was coming along nicely before Hines ward ended his season. He looks a keeper. Leon Hall has assumed the starting CB position in his 2nd year. 2006 1st round pick Jonathon Joseph needs to show a bit more progression, but he is solid. 2008 2nd round pick Jerome Simpson caught the sum total of 1 catch for 2 yards. Obviously more will be expected from him. A quick look shows a really poor record of 2nd round picks for this franchise with only Andrew Whitworth contributing from the last 5 draft classes. 2008 3rd round picks Pat Sims & Andre Caldwell look like they will get expanded roles next season. Quick history lesson- the Bengals are solid in Round 4- Anthony Collins, Marvin White, Domata Peko, Eric Ghiaciuc, Stacy Andrews & Robert Geathers are all recent 4th rounders that have become starters on this team.

Possibly no team will benefit more from a returning injured player than the Bengals. Once Palmer went down, so did the team. His return will improve the offence in nearly every facet. But this team needs a few things. Firstly- an attitude adjustment. Then they need to sort out the WR situation- TJ, CJ & Chris Henry are all question marks at this point. They could be without all 3 in training camp next year. If that is the case (or even just partly the case) they need to address this position in the draft & FA. A couple of pass rushers are also required on this team as is more solid running from the teams RB's.

If Chadman had to pick right now, it would be DE #1, DT #2, RB #3, WR #4 & TE #5 as far as needs go.

That being said, it's not impossible to agree with Bill Cowher- the Bengals ARE a team that could go from a non-playoff team to a play-off team fairly easily. BUT....the opposite is just as likely. This off season will be HUGE for this franchise in deciding what direction they move in.

Next up...The Oakland Raiders...

SteelerOfDeVille
01-14-2009, 02:17 PM

If Chadman had to pick right now, it would be DE #1, DT #2, RB #3, WR #4 & TE #5 as far as needs go.
Another nice writeup, chadman... 2 questions to ponder.

1. Could the poor running game be due to the poor passing game? In other words, could Benson actually get the job done if Palmer was there? I'm thinking Thomas Jones (who struggled in AZ with no run game, but, once he landed on decent passing teams has done well).

2. Considering Chad, TJ and Henry are all question marks and their younger WRs didn't do much, would it make sense to move WR up on the need list? I would personally say it was a bigger need than RB...

Chadman
01-14-2009, 05:55 PM

Another nice writeup, chadman... 2 questions to ponder.

1. Could the poor running game be due to the poor passing game? In other words, could Benson actually get the job done if Palmer was there? I'm thinking Thomas Jones (who struggled in AZ with no run game, but, once he landed on decent passing teams has done well).

2. Considering Chad, TJ and Henry are all question marks and their younger WRs didn't do much, would it make sense to move WR up on the need list? I would personally say it was a bigger need than RB...

See? This is why Chadman needs you guys to give input!

Good point, WR could be a bigger need than RB. BUT- if they keep TJ, Chad & Henry- then RB is ahead.

And absolutely- the running game 'should' be better with Palmer back. But at the same time- do you want to hang your hat on Cedric Benson?

SteelerOfDeVille
01-26-2009, 02:57 PM
did u give up?

Chadman
01-26-2009, 07:46 PM
did u give up?

Hehe...no...but the SB excitement makes it hard to get into this....might give it a go again later today.

Never fear- this thread will continue- it's Chadman's sneaky way of boosting his post count... :tt1

Chadman
01-27-2009, 02:57 AM
#7 The Oakland Raiders..

What a wacky experience it must be to be a Raiders fan? Can you imagine it? Going into every season wondering where your owner's biggest mistake will materialise from this season? They must be the biggest masochists in the USA. Anyway....it's easy to see where Al Davis has gone wrong the last few years- HC. Until they get a HC that can shape this team, they'll continue to find new ways to blow it. The Raiders finished the season 5-11, which for Raiders faithful, probably isn't bad. But for us, the knowledgable ones, we know that it's just another year of crap from the Black & Silver. That being said, if you have a quick look at the Raiders roster, there is some talent to work with. Wonder if the new HC can get it moving in the right direction?

Looking at the Raiders offensive stats we see that they were 29th in points per game, 29th in yards per game, 32nd in passing yards per game & 10th in rushing yards per game. On defence, the Raiders were 24th in points allowed, 27th in yards allowed, 10th in passing yards allowed & 31st in rushing yards allowed. That's a pretty eclectic group of stats. The two that obviously stand out are 10th in both rushing yards gained & 10th in passing yards allowed. The most believable stat will be rushing yards gained- the Raiders have a solid group of RB's. 10th in passing yards could be directly attributed to being second last in rushing yards allowed. Teams can simply run on the Raiders at will. The other stats show the common trend of poor teams- can't move the ball through the air, can't score enough, allow too many points & can't stop other teams from moving on them. Improvement could be had in almost every department- but at least they can run...

QB- Ok, as much as he's struggled, JaMarcus Russell (2007 #1 pick) is the QB of now & the future. To be honest- he isn't 'terrible'- 13 TD's, 8 INT's at 53.8% completion is about average for the struggling QB's we looked at already. But, unlike Detroit, Cincinatti & the Rams, Russell has nobody to throw to. More on that later. The Raiders will hang their hat on Russell, so keeping him healthy & surrounded by talent should be a priority. He's one of, if not THE best running QB in the NFL too. Keeping him healthy is extra important when you think that his back-up is Andrew Walter (0 TD's, 3 INT's at 44.9%) & 3rd string is Marquis Tuiasosopo. If Russell goes down, this is 'a bad scene man!' Without a doubt, the Raiders could do with an experienced vet QB that can back-up & help develop Russell. This should become an off season priority.

RB- 2008 1st round pick Darren McFadden (499 yards, 4.4 YPC & 4 TD's), Justin Fargas (853 yards, 3.9 YPC & 1TD) & Michael Bush (421 yards, 4.4 YPC & 3 TD's) make up an excellent RB trio. The good news is that all 3 are under contract for next season. The bad news- there's only 1 football on the field at a time to give to them. Fullbacks Justin Griffith & Oren O'Neill are both solid players. Add to this group the excellent running game of Russell, and this team can move the ball on the ground. No need to tinker with this group at all!

WR- 2003 Round 3 WR Johnnie Lee Higgins stepped in this season to become something like a starter for the Raiders (22 catches, 366 yards, 16.6 YPC & 4 TD's). Unfortunately- his 22 catches lead all WR's this season for the Raiders. And here is where the problem lies- a distinct lack of talent & productivity from this group that includes Ron Curry, Oft-injured Javon Walker & ever-underperformed Ashlie Lelie. This group, simply, does no justice for a #1 pick QB. If you want Russell to succeed- give him someone to throw to. The Raiders got good production from 2007 2nd round TE Zach Miller (56 catches, 778 yards, 13.9 YPC & 1 TD). Miller has essentially become Russell's go-to guy.

OL- Who can remember reading that Robert Gallery was going to be the greatest LT ever known? Well, here we are. He's not even playing OT, let alone LT. Gallery has moved inside to be a servicable LG. Jake Grove is a decent Center and is the anchor to the line that rushed so well. Cooper Carlisle mans the other OG position. To be honest, the interior of the OL isn't a problem. The OT's, however, can be upgraded. When Kwame Harris & Cornell Green are your starting OT's, you need to look at options. Young OT's Mario Henderson & James Marten are talented, but cannot be relied on. Definately an upgrade could be had at OT this off season. Picking so early, they should have a shot at a decent player to fit on the line. The Raiders only gave up 39 sacks on the season, which isn't bad, but that could be more due to the Raiders reliance on the run & Russell's ability to run like blazes when required. This team runs at 4.3 YPC, so run blocking isn't a problem. If you invest in a #1 QB, you have to protect him & give him someone to throw to. In typical Raiders fashion, they've done neither.

DL- On paper, this group is pretty good. And statistically, the Raiders were 10th in the NFL against the pass, which indicates they must get something like decent pass rush to throw QB's off the trail. Derrick Burgess (24 tackles, 4 sacks) is a quality DE. He would start in nearly every 4-3 defence. Tommy Kelly (55 tackles, 4 sacks) is a decent upfield DT & Gerrard Warren ( 39 tackles, 4 sacks) isn't bad either. Backups include Terdell Sands & William Joseph- neither are going to make offences shudder. The other DE is Jay Richardson (53 tackles, 3 sacks). He's a young player on the rise. Back-up DE Kalimba Edwards (48 tackles, 5 sacks) is a decent pass rusher that is a liability against the run. This group probably would improve if the opposition was forced to pass on them more- as they are more of a pass rushing group than run stopping. But because the Raiders are always behind, teams tend to run on this group all day.

LB- MLB Kirk Morrison (135 tackles, 1 sack) is a good player. OLB's Thomas Howard (97 tackles, 1 sack) & Ricky Brown (37 tackles, 0 sacks) are solid- Howard has extreme athletisism & is a quality player. Backups Jon Alston & Sam Williams are decent, if not solid players. Thing is, between these guys & the DL, teams were running on them at will. Perhaps a run stuffing DT & OLB might be useful in stopping that problem.

DB- 10th against the pass in the NFL sounds great, but as Chadman has pointed out, this could be an inflated stat due to other teams success running the ball. Nnamdi Asomugha is a great CB, a real player to build around. He's also a UFA...and if he wants to WIN, he might need to look elsewhere. He could very well get Franchised, however. The other CB is Chris Johnson, a solid CB that had 3 picks for the season. Back-up Stanford Routt is a promising player. Safeties Hiram Eugene & Gibril Wilson are both stout against the run & pass. Former 1st round pick Michael Huff has not lived up to expectations. If the Raiders hold on to Asomugha, chances are, they can sit tight with the DB's for next season.

ST- Only the Raiders could boast a 1st round kicker- particularly one that isn't any better than 90% of the kickers around the NFL. Yet, Seb Janikowski is the K for this team & will be for the foreseeable future. Punter Shane Lechler is a good player averaging 48.8 yards a punt. He is, however, an UFA, and the Raiders will want to hold on to him. When Johnnie Lee Higgins wasn't becoming the starting WR, he was, along with Justin Miller, returning kicks & punts. The Raiders return game is very solid.

FA- The Raiders NEED to hold on to Asomugha. That should be priority #1 this off season. Other notable FA's include RG Cooper Carlisle, Punter Shane Lechler & PR/KR Justin Miller. Although they would want to hold on to all these guys, only Asomugha is irreplaceable.

Chadman must go...will finish later on!! :HeadBanger

Ok- back to it (Post SB Celebrations..)

DRAFT HISTORY- You would think that a team with 4 Top 10 picks in 5 years must be chocked with stud footballers, wouldn't you? Well- you tell Chadman if this is 'stocked'-
2008- Darren McFadden, 2007- JaMarcus Russell, 2006- Michael Huff, 2005- Fabian Washington, 2004- Robert Gallery.

Well? Ok, McFadden looked good & Russell will need some weapons before we make a decision, but have any of the other picks justified their selections? Maybe, if we look closely at the picks by the teams that we've covered already, we'll notice a trend of 1st rounders just not panning out? Perhaps the first thing these teams should do is look closely at the scouting & drafting departments of the organisation?

Other recent picks for the Raiders are 2008 2nd round TE Zach Miller, 2007 2nd round OLB Thomas Howard, 2004 2nd round center Jake Grove (They select OK in Round 2), Johnnie Lee Higgins & Kirk Morrison were both 3rd round picks (2007 & 2005 respectively). As Chadman stated though- there is more history of misses than hits for this franchise, and indeed many of the teams talked about earlier.

At this stage Chadman sees the Raiders looking at either a LT, WR, LB or DB. Given their lofty drafting position, LT is a very good option. But then, in saying that, this IS the Raiders. Maybe they'll draft a punter to go with their 1st round K?

Next Up.....#8, the Jacksonville Jaguars...

RuthlessBurgher
01-27-2009, 01:51 PM
did u give up?

Hehe...no...but the SB excitement makes it hard to get into this....might give it a go again later today.

Never fear- this thread will continue- it's Chadman's sneaky way of boosting his post count... :tt1

It is easier to boost your post count by just randomly posting "Wooooooo!!!" on various threads instead of doing in-depth research on the draft needs of every NFL team and writing up a more in-depth dissertation than Matt Millen ever did as the GM in Detroit. Not that I am complaining. This will be a big-time go-to thread at this point a week from now when we are basking in the glow of another championship and looking forward to the draft. :D

Chadman
02-12-2009, 02:36 AM
#8 Jacksonville Jaguars

(Ok- back from the post-SB lounge fest & ready to start analysing again...)

Jacksonville went from a team on the cusp of challenging for SB honours to a team that was so far from a SB that you wonder if they had money on themselves blowing this season. 5-11 puts them at the bottom end of the season's standings & gets them an early pick in the draft. Some said they overachieved last season- guess those guys could be right!

A look at the offensive stats- 24th in points per game, 20th in yards per game, 15th in passing yards per game & 18th in rushing yards per game. The 'yards' part to the stats show they are not 'terrible' moving the ball, but points per game certainly shows how ineffective they were in the red zone. Defensive stats- 21st in points allowed per game, 17th in yards allowed per game, 24th in passing yards allowed per game & 13th in rushing yards allowed. The run defense is pretty solid, but teams can obviously pass all over the Jaguars, and 21st in points allowed says that those passing yards turn into points.

QB- David Garrard went from super-accurate 'never gives the ball away' to 62.6% completion (pretty good) & 15 TD's to 13 INT's (not enough TD to INT ratio to be overly successful). Anyone wonder if there are a few Jaguar fans wondering if the shouldn't have let Leftwich go? Cleo Lemon is the back-up....but he really is no option for this team. They've invested in Garrard, so the Jaguars will just have to suffer through his lean times.

RB- What was a two-headed running monster last season turned into 'just another running game' this season. Maurice Jones-Drew led the Jaguars with 824 yards at 4.2 YPC & 12 TD's, which certainly isn't bad, and Fred Taylor had 556 yards at 3.6 YPC & 1 TD. It's not...'bad'...but those stats are not the same team that tore the Steelers defence up last season, are they? It could just be that the OL were poor, but still, the running game didn't do what it had to. And this could be the single biggest reason that David Garrard wasn't anywhere near as successful this season.

WR- Scrap that last sentence- the WR's could be the single biggest reason for Garrard's struggles. When your leading WR is Matt Jones who had 761 yards at 11.6 YPC and 2 TD's, you are not getting enough production. #2 WR on the list is Dennis Northcutt with 565 yards at 12.4 yards & 2 TD's. #3 is Reggie Williams with 364 yards at 9.6 YPC & 3 TD's. Not a deep threat to be seen- and certainly no 'go to' reciever amongst them. To be fair- MJD had 565 yards at 9.1 YPC & 2 TD's, providing Garrard with an option out of the backfield, and TE Marcedes Lewis had 489 yards at 11.9 YPC & 2 TD's. Really though- this team needs a go-to guy. That was supposed to be Jerry Porter, but as of today, Porter is no longer a Jaguar. This could be the position that gets a 1st round upgrade...

OL- Or maybe it'll be OL? Starting LT Kalif Barnes is a UFA, so he might be a priority signing for them this season. That said, Barnes gave up an individual 7.5 sacks this season, one of the worst for starting LT's in the NFL, so an upgrade is not out of the question. The Jaguars are a weird mob- ever since Tony Boselli in 1995, they have NOT DRAFTED AN OL in ROUND 1- not 1 OL in 13 years. Only 1 (Boselli) in the FRANCHISE HISTORY! So, is OL a definate #1 draft option? Not necessarily. Starting OC Brad Meester is an UFA this off season & will likely be another priority signing (if the Steelers want an interior OL- this could be a good option). OG's for the Jaguars are...D Norman & U Nwaneri...who???? RT is big Tony Pashos, a pretty decent player. The OL gave up 42 sacks for the season- not good- & had a team rushing average of 4.2 YPC (a lot of this could be due more to MJD's speed & elusiveness than good blocking). The OL NEEDS an upgrade, but history tells us that the Jaguars might look at lower round draft picks, or FA's to fill this need.

Ok...gotta go...Chadman will complete the Jaguars later on...

Chadman
02-17-2009, 10:22 PM
Ok.....this is taking too much of Chadman's time (sorry for those that were liking this) so a 'revised' version of this will be done instead- don't fear, the same idea, just with less writing....besides, since starting this, teams have been releasing players left, right & center, meaning much of what Chadman wrote earlier, has become redundant...

Give Chadman a little while, and then a new, quicker format will be produced...