PDA

View Full Version : My thoughts on the Steelers chances against San Diego..

bthorn86
01-05-2009, 12:00 AM
You may remember the classic, often scrutinized 11-10 battle in week 11. It was the only time in NFL history a game ended with a 11-10 score due in part to the refs bizarre reverse call of Troy Polamalu's fumble return for a touchdown. The Steelers controlled most of that game out gaining the Chargers 410 to 218. QB Ben Roethlisberger was 31 of 41 for 308 and a 96.4 rating while QB Philip Rivers was a mediocre 15 of 26 for 164 and 2 ints. Rivers was anything but mediocre the entire season, leading the NFL in touchdowns with 34 and a 105.5 QB rating. This is a direct credit to what playing at Heinz Field against Blitzburgh can do to a great.......http://www.nfldraftdog.com/NFL%20Team%20Columns/pittsburgh_steelers_nfl_team_col.htm

What is everyone else's opinion on next Sundays game?

Discipline of Steel
01-05-2009, 12:14 AM
As long as you write Steelers Win, you get my vote. :Beer

Jooser
01-05-2009, 09:30 AM
I think we should win this one. I am not overly concerned with their running game. I believe getting pressure on Rivers is the key. If they start bouncing him off the frozen Heinz turf, then I believe he'll fold eventually. Also, Big Ben has got to control the game and not commit any turnovers. Turnovers have killed alot of drives this season and he is the main culprit.

-joos

Oviedo
01-05-2009, 09:43 AM
The only key that I'm interested in is Ben standing upright and not throwing interceptions. These stats about the losses show that when Ben throws INTs and gets sacked we lose

Philly: 1 INT+8 sacks+2 fumbles+QB rating of 50.6
Giants: 4 INTs+5 sacks+1 fumble+QB rating of 38.5
Indy: 3 INTs+2 sacks+1 fumble+QB rating of 59.0
Titans: 2 INTs+5 sacks+4 fumbles+QB rating of 86.4

The sack part can be taken care of by quick passes versus waiting for long downfield plays to develop. I'd also like to see some planned roll outs to confuse the pass rush. Most importantly don't turn the ball over or we will lose.

feltdizz
01-05-2009, 09:48 AM
my only concern is the officiating and Ben.. SD has a great punter who pinned us deep a few times... Ben cannot be playoff Ben of last year...

one other thing.. we were 12-4 but the Jan 2, 2009 article has us at 11-5 right below the SD prediction. Just sayin'

feltdizz
01-05-2009, 09:53 AM
The only key that I'm interested in is Ben standing upright and not throwing interceptions. These stats about the losses show that when Ben throws INTs and gets sacked we lose

The sack part can be taken care of by quick passes versus waiting for long downfield plays to develop. I'd also like to see some planned roll outs to confuse the pass rush. Most importantly don't turn the ball over or we will lose.

I think you hit it on the head.. but Ben will always take a sack or a hit.... was it really necessary to wait to the last second to complete a pass in the Clowns game? Seriously.. Ben needs to look to the TE's and Moore much faster then he did in the Titans game. He let a lot of plays get away looking for the long completion.

SD has a great punter who pins them deep.. Ben must take the 5 to 7 yard pass completions when they are there.. sometimes Ben tends to look for the 30 yard pass on 3rd and 4

steelz09
01-05-2009, 09:57 AM

I think you hit it on the head.. but Ben will always take a sack or a hit.... was it really necessary to wait to the last second to complete a pass in the Clowns game? Seriously.. Ben needs to look to the TE's and Moore much faster then he did in the Titans game. He let a lot of plays get away looking for the long completion.

SD has a great punter who pins them deep.. Ben must take the 5 to 7 yard pass completions when they are there.. sometimes Ben tends to look for the 30 yard pass on 3rd and 4

Right on :Agree

But why doesn't the coaches tell him to go for those short passes. Like you said, they ARE open. And I'm sure they can prove it to Ben via some 'still' pictures. Is it Ben being stubborn, or is it a lack of coaching from the QB coach and Arians? And if they don't do it shouldn't Tomlin step in?

Your absolutely right, he left many EASY plays out there during the Titans game. Then, (i forget which game it was) Ben was handed pictures to review while the defense was out there and he throws them to the bench and walks away. That's unacceptable... he needs all the studying he can get because he rarely finds the open receiver especially if its not the 1st or 2nd read.

Bolt Writer
01-05-2009, 10:28 AM
I'm not gonna vote in the poll because... well, look at my name. *nods*

This is a hard game to call. I think the chances that the winner of this game takes the whole enchilada are sizable.

San Diego has problems going into this game...but we are playing well.

L.T. is not going to be effective. He needs surgery... of course this will fuel the idiots who want to look at one game in the man's career and question his toughness, but oh well. Sproles will be operating at a reduced effectiveness if the filed is a mess, so Michael Bennet, of all peoople, may be key. Gates is fine. His breakaway speed is not there, but the Steelers don't allow many yards after the catch regardless. WR play for SD will be a key.

Big Ben is going to have a face full of defender all day. Ever since Ron Rivera took over, we have hassled opposing QB's. So, the Steeler running game is your key on offense.

I see this as a low-scoring game, with both defenses playing well and field position and a big play or two deciding it. I'll be at the game, and yes I do wear my colors at opponents field. So if you are around Section 512 and want to discuss things, I welcome it. Just know that I don't hate or fight with anyone not wearing silver and black.

I respect the Steelers They were my second favorite team growing up. I kinda wish this was the Championship game and the SB was on the line... but I'll root for the winner of this one to go all the way...

Of course, the denizens of this board and I will disagree on who we want that to be...

Blitz-en
01-05-2009, 11:45 AM
Good to hear some perspective from a few writers. This could be a very tough game. I think there's a possibility that the Steelers come out "jacked" out of their minds and jump to an early lead. Arians could possibly throw in a few obvious wrinkles and make a world of difference. Ben could come out and play smart, accepting a more humble role, and moving the ball by good decisions rather than attempting to win it by himself.

OR, Ben can faulter early and often and we will be bitching next week instead of getting the Super Bowl jitters. My hopes are that the defense will be stout as usual. But, if they sit back and play conservative, Rivers has proven to be very effective when given all day to sit back there and throw.

I'll be at the game, so I'm excited and looking forward to seeing my first playoff victory in person. :Boobs

Keys to the game:

-Of course the line play! Pittsburgh needs to do just enough offensively (on the line) to "not" have a negative effect on the scoreboard. The offensive skill players are good enough to score points, unless the O-line screws it up with dumb penalties or missed blocking assignments.
-San Diego's WR corp. They did nothing against Indy. Two big throws in the middle of the field on the last drive to Gates (hope Ben was watching) was all that was necessary. Against Pittsburgh, the WR's will need to be more prominent.
-Rivers vs. Defense. Round 1 went to Pittsburgh. Lebeau should be aggressive when given the opportunities. Sitting back and covering with no pass rush will equate to problems..........especially without a high powered offense to answer the scores.
-Special teams. The Chargers punter can boom them, but that should encourage better run backs. Hope Holmes brings his "good" hands to this game!
-Ben, Ben, Ben. If he can take the easy play and not be tempted to choose the "big play" everytime, we will move the ball just fine. But, we know what happens if he attempts to do more than what's given to him. :HeadBanger

Looking forward to the game. I hope it is a happy postgame! :tt2

bthorn86
01-05-2009, 01:48 PM
I agree with a lot of what you guys are saying. Like i said in my article, i feel the pass rush of both teams is key. The Steelers gameplan should be to get Willie involved early and often as well as mewelde so that Ben can utilize his weapons. I think Heath should have a big day Sunday, being one of the most underrated at his position, he can be very effective in this type of game. Hines Ward is the ideal WR to have in this kind of game as well, i cant wait to watch him layout someone on a big run by Parker or Ben i can see it now!

Blitz-en
01-05-2009, 04:31 PM
I like the way you think, bthorn86. Would love to see Willie have success. However, this season, and this unsuccessful zone blocking scheme have dashed my hopes of that. We have failed running the ball against average or better defenses. Now, if we see a heavy dose of fullback and pulling guards, we will see Willie scampering. But, now, that's too obvious, isn't it?

Pittsburgh will have to account for Sproles. Historically, Pittsburgh has struggled against fast scat-backs. I'm already having nightmares about dump passes to him in the open field. But, the defense and Lebeau has gained my faith this year. I'd like to see Sproles hit hard and often early on in the cold.

You said it when you mentioned Heath Miller. Again, too obvious, though. Seems 15-20 passes to Heath Miller and M. Moore would assure victory, eh? If that occurred, it would seem logical that those deeper routes would open up later in the game. I feel dumb even writing such remedial stuff, but I can always hope that Arians is reading and thinking, "hey, that's a good idea". :roll:

I don't know why, but I just feel like the Steelers are going to come out smokin'. A big play on defense, a big play on special teams and a reliable offense. How's that sound? I'm just feeling it.

bthorn86
01-05-2009, 05:03 PM
i agree with your last statement which is why i predicted the 20-13 score. You are right, some of the things we want Pittsburgh to do are obvious, but i think in a game like this the simple, "obvious" things like running traps, counters, and using your tight end win games. Its when you try and get too cute that it can hurt you, i almost expect that from San Diego considering the circumstances, where the game is at and everything else. But thank you for the feedback on my article, i appreciate it.

ANPSTEEL
01-05-2009, 05:43 PM
I liked the article- the only thing i would add- or emphasis more-

is the issue of Scifres vs. Berger.

I think on an average exchange of punts- San Diego is going to get about a 10 - 15 yard swing- just to to the lameness of Berger's punting.

The offense is going to have to generate some 1st downs, to keep the chargers from consistently working with a short field.

Blitz-en
01-06-2009, 12:36 AM
Good point, Anpsteel. I just refuse to put too much credit on punters. But, I'll rally around your field position point. Seems Pittsburgh has had bad starting field position all year, while giving up good field position to their opponents. Heck, I don't know if the numbers show that or not.

Will definitely agree that they have a much better punter. But, I haven't seen many of their games this year. I'd bet if we are winning the field position battle, and he doesn't have a chance to pin Pittsburgh down deep, his longer punts should be a benefit to our (struggling) return man. Atleast that's the positive that I'm making myself take from it!

bthorn86
01-11-2009, 10:51 PM
Running game was the best defense for the pass blocking woes, Pittsburgh controlled the game after that last score before halftime. I will have my next write up for you guys to read in a couple days...An epic showdown looms in Pittsburgh......

SanAntonioSteelerFan
01-11-2009, 10:54 PM
I feel pretty good about the Steelers chances today :wink: