PDA

View Full Version : I am concerned about Sproles

MeetJoeGreene
01-04-2009, 11:48 PM
It seems to me that small, quickish backs give us more trouble than big, backs. I am afraid that he can turn some BIG plays against us.

SteelerNation1
01-04-2009, 11:51 PM
Polamalu can spy him all day. I wonder if LT gives it go this week???

BURGH86STEEL
01-04-2009, 11:57 PM
It will be a challenge to try to contain him. He is Eric Metcalf like in the ways he can hurt a team as a RB & on Special teams. He is smaller and probably quicker than Metcalf. Steelers would be better off with LT playing. They did a good job containing LT in the past.

Discipline of Steel
01-05-2009, 12:05 AM
The chargers are clinging to him like he is their savior or something. We will crush Sproles, we will crush Phallup Rivers, and we will crush the Chargers...NO PROBLEM!

SteelCrazy
01-05-2009, 12:12 AM
It seems to me that small, quickish backs give us more trouble than big, backs. I am afraid that he can turn some BIG plays against us.

Sproles is a problem for most D's. The Defensive game plan usually isnt designed for him so it takes some adjusments, but we have a week to plan around him, so no problem. We win 35-13, mark it down

Chadman
01-05-2009, 01:08 AM
If this game was played in some kind of heated arena, then yes, Sproles could be an issue. But in the predicted snow, Chadman has to wonder how effective Sproles will really be.

The biggest fear Chadman has is Steelers turnovers. So long as they can get their own running game chugging along, all should be ok. But if Ben is passing too much.....

Mister Pittsburgh
01-05-2009, 01:15 AM
Run a 3-3-5 with Foote's slow ass on the bench and switch between one of Anthony Smith-Ty Carter-Deshea and Timmons. So Timmons is on the field 50% of the D snaps and then one of those 3. Have them line up in the center of the field between the safeties and the LB's and light Sproles little ass up every time he breaks through the line. Also shadow him in the short passing game.

Has anyone else noticed how damn much every other team throws to their RB out of the backfield and how little we do? For other teams that is a main ingredient of a good offense and for us it is like an afterthought.

proudpittsburgher
01-05-2009, 08:15 AM
The cutback backs give the Steelers trouble. If Sproals thinks he's going to hide behiodn the o-line until a hole opens up, I think he's in for a long day. It's an accurate passer that worries me, and that would be Phillip Rivers. Contain him, and I think we go to the AFCC game.

steelz09
01-05-2009, 08:24 AM
Yea -- His cutback ability is concerning because our defense agressiveness can sometimes make us over pursue (. Fred Taylor..)

I'm more concerning about his punt return abilities. He can take one to the house at any time. I know we have been solid with ST this year but we can't have any let downs in this area in the playoffs or we'll be one and done.

flippy
01-05-2009, 08:39 AM
I'm more worried about how Ben plays.

That will determine the outcome.

frankthetank1
01-05-2009, 08:42 AM

Sproles is a problem for most D's. The Defensive game plan usually isnt designed for him so it takes some adjusments, but we have a week to plan around him, so no problem. We win 35-13, mark it down

thats a great point. the steelers will be planning on him getting the bulk of the carries so they will be better prepared. also keep in mind that the colts run defense is pathetic

Steeler Shades
01-05-2009, 08:47 AM

$$$$$$
True. If our offense can score 20 points and not turn the ball over, we'll win easily. 8)

pittpete
01-05-2009, 08:50 AM

No turnovers = we win

Ozey74
01-05-2009, 08:50 AM
Sproles peaked against Indy.

The cold weather on Sunday will be unlike anything the Chargers have dealt with all year & their receivers won't be able to catch a ball that feels like a stone. Steelers win!

:tt2

Jooser
01-05-2009, 08:54 AM

:Agree I'm with Flippy on that one.

MeetJoeGreene
01-05-2009, 09:01 AM
I am slightly encouraged by your responses and do agree that Ben's turnovers (or lack of) will have a big impact on this game.

I am just not feeling good about it.

feltdizz
01-05-2009, 09:56 AM
Sproles would be a concern if he didn't just put up FF stats for the whole world to see...

we will be all over him.. the 3rd and 9 draw must be accounted for.. they will try this often.

I have a funky feeling about this game as well.. SD has nothing to lose and will let it ll hang out. I hate playing those kinds of teams... they have won the last 2 SB's...

I think homefield will be huge though...

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-05-2009, 10:10 AM
This is the playoffs, every team has weapons whom we will have to deal with. The fact that the biggest worry seems to be the backup RB tells me that this team has fewer than most others.

IMO the key to this game is the same key as to most Steelers games. Can Ben be given time or will he be under pressure all game?

If Ben has time he is best able to utilize all of his weapons. 3 WRs, TE, Moore out of the backfield, and FWP and Moore running the ball. If he is being harassed that opens up the possibilities of drive killing sacks and turnovers and could put the D in a difficult position. If this O is able to play decent football then the D and Sproles will be of little worry.

Discipline of Steel
01-05-2009, 10:49 AM
Norv has said that Sproles will be locked in ice until Friday due to the beatdown he took yesterday on his magical day. I predict we will see Michael Bennett (what?!) throwing himself in front of our blitzing LB by halftime.

proudpittsburgher
01-05-2009, 11:08 AM
Sproles would be a concern if he didn't just put up FF stats for the whole world to see...

we will be all over him.. the 3rd and 9 draw must be accounted for.. they will try this often.

I have a funky feeling about this game as well.. SD has nothing to lose and will let it ll hang out. I hate playing those kinds of teams... they have won the last 2 SB's...

Who says they have nothing to lose? They are fighting for the same AFCC spot as are we. And yes, we need to tighted up against that draw.

feltdizz
01-05-2009, 11:10 AM
yeah Sproles isn't big enough to be an every down back and we will pound him since we are gang tacklers... but alas.. it all comes down to Ben.. which Ben shows up? SD will get pressure.. but Ben wasn't under pressure in the Titans game IMO.. he just held the rock to long.

Let me add that the Titans were only rushing 4 and they did get to him a few times but overall they begged Ben to throw underneath and he kind of ignored the flats...

feltdizz
01-05-2009, 11:15 AM

Who says they have nothing to lose? They are fighting for the same AFCC spot as are we. And yes, we need to tighted up against that draw.

of course every team has "something to lose" but you know what I mean. We are expected to win this game and SD has zero pressure on themselves since they are basically playing with the houses money.

We were SD in 2005. We had nothing to lose going into the Colts dome... we came out swinging hard and never looked back. I don't think SD has the same talent we had but teh scenario is similar... left for dead... had to win out... etc.

just sayin!

skyhawk
01-05-2009, 01:12 PM

The cold weather on Sunday will be unlike anything the Chargers have dealt with all year & their receivers won't be able to catch a ball that feels like a stone. Steelers win!

Like the Chargers-Steelers 11-10 game earlier this year?

Ozey74
01-05-2009, 01:39 PM

Like the Chargers-Steelers 11-10 game earlier this year?

Should be colder this Sunday.