PDA

View Full Version : Pittsburgh's Only Chance

SteelStallion
01-04-2009, 05:25 PM
against San Diego? One word:

SNOW- and lots of it.

If there's a dry field and good weather I don't see an O-lineless fading Steeler team beating a pretty tough, well balanced Charger team that's peaking at the right time.

Either way I'm not ragging here. They had a great season, I'd argue an overachieving season against the toughest scheduled teams in football. And I expect when it's over, their deficits will be addressed.

feltdizz
01-04-2009, 05:29 PM
only thing we need to pray for is a fair game by the refs....

pittpete
01-04-2009, 05:30 PM
Contain Spreoles and the bolts havnt a chance

ghettoscott
01-04-2009, 05:43 PM

SNOW- and lots of it.

that's 5 words.

TallyStiller
01-04-2009, 05:49 PM
They put up 17 points and under 300 yards in regulation against Indy's mediocre defense. They needed a miracle 4th quarter comeback after scoring 3 points in 45 minutes to beat the freaking CHIEFS!!! We are going to exorcise the demons of Dan Fouts and Stan Humphries on Sunday... I don't think we need a snowstorm to keep them under 14 points and 300 yards. They went 8 - 8 for a reason, and staged that run to the postseason beating up on the likes of Oakland, KC, a Tampa Bay team that threw in the towel once Monte Kiffin left, and Denver.

They've won 5 in a row. We've won 6 of our last 7. They played one good team in the whole run. We played five +500 teams, and beat four. We haven't looked pretty doing it, but we're battle tested. Plus, they're still coached by Norv Turner. Expect them to show up flat and unprepared. It's the way things are done by the man with the 3rd worst win % all time among coaches with 100 + games. We'll be fine. :Beer :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :Beer

Discipline of Steel
01-04-2009, 05:50 PM
Pittsburgh has been peaking all season, and I dont think the Chargers have looked THAT impressive. Pittsburgh will win, no problem. But then again, Im a kool-aid drinking homer.

TallyStiller
01-04-2009, 05:51 PM
BTW... Scott... my daughter loves your sig pic.

flippy
01-04-2009, 06:03 PM
blowout

AkronSteel
01-04-2009, 06:10 PM
I wouldn't expect there to be 14 penalties called against the good guys this time around. I have the feeling that the Chargers are in for a beat down come Sunday. Last time they were in Pittsburgh they gave up a 100 yard rusher, a 100 yard receiver and a 300 yard passer....and they managed to stay in the game, thanks to the refs. I fully expect them to take one on the chin next weekend. Like Flippy said..............BLOWOUT!

:tt1

Chachi
01-04-2009, 06:37 PM

SNOW- and lots of it.

If there's a dry field and good weather I don't see an O-lineless fading Steeler team beating a pretty tough, well balanced Charger team that's peaking at the right time.

Either way I'm not ragging here.

If it's a game day and there are a lot of people on the board I don't see an incompetant and stupid SteelStallion posting anything better than the regular posters here.

:wink:

On a serious note, O-lineless I get and agree with.

But fading? Because we went 3-1 in December?

buckeyehoppy
01-04-2009, 07:01 PM
Flippy, I third the motion!!!

When the Steelers impose their will in this game, doing what they do on D and getting O like they got in the first SD matchup and eliminate the penalties, it may well leave a game that is fairly well in hand by half time.

I couldn't care less if it snows or not. Champions win and say "f--- you" to the weather conditions.

Steel Life
01-04-2009, 07:19 PM
No Steeler turnovers & with LT gimpy, put Phillip (The Statue) Rivers on his a$$ alot & we win. Their WRs are not better than our DBs & we have players - Troy & Timmons - who can run with Gates.

ghettoscott
01-04-2009, 07:45 PM
BTW... Scott... my daughter loves your sig pic.

you have one cool daughter TS :wink:

Chadman
01-04-2009, 07:56 PM
This will be a tough game.

Steelers best chance of winning will be limiting the Chargers to no more than 2 TD's because Chadman isn't sure that the Steelers offence can score more than 3 TD's against that Chargers D.

So defence will be the key- stopping the run & creating turnovers.

anger 82&95
01-04-2009, 08:03 PM
Rivers quote regarding the loss to the Steelers: "I think definitely through 17 games that's the toughest (defense) we've faced,"

Herewegosteelers!
01-04-2009, 09:04 PM
I still remember those loses to SD in the 82 & 94 playoff seasons. I want to see some revenge here :twisted: And I think they will do it. Why else would I go to a game when the temp may be in the teens.... :tt2

Wolfhound45
01-04-2009, 09:14 PM

Steelers best chance of winning will be limiting the Chargers to no more than 2 TD's because Chadman isn't sure that the Steelers offence can score more than 3 TD's against that Chargers D.

Chadman called it. I am not impressed with our OL or running game. Both are needed to keep an opposing offense on the sideline in January. Wish I could be as confident as others on this board but I am not. This is a going to be a much tougher game than we think.

Mick'sTeam
01-04-2009, 09:25 PM

Chadman called it. I am not impressed with our OL or running game. Both are needed to keep an opposing offense on the sideline in January. Wish I could be as confident as others on this board but I am not. This is a going to be a much tougher game than we think.

I agree. Our offense has been bad all season, but it's been pathetic the last month or so. If our offense doesn't step up, it won't matter how good our defense plays. I think this is going to be a very tough game. Can't wait!

Djfan
01-04-2009, 09:29 PM
I agree on the fear thing due to O weaknesses, but we did see new things against the stains. Maybe they are putting out the word that the predictable Steelers are gone, and the new exciting BA dynasty is here!!

Nah.

ANPSTEEL
01-04-2009, 09:43 PM

yeah- unfortunately, I am in agreement as well.

not only does the entire league know the blueprint to beat the steelers....

ben coming off a concussion... not a positive.

stlrz d
01-04-2009, 10:16 PM
We put up over 400 yards of offense on them last time, while holding them to just over 200.

Do that again and cut out the stupid penalties that ended drives. No worries.

Wolfhound45
01-04-2009, 10:37 PM
We put up over 400 yards of offense on them last time, while holding them to just over 200.

I am watching the November game right now. I would have to agree with what you said. Our defense manhandled them. A very poorly called penalty gave them their only touchdown. The problem is, will our offense be able to produce again? That is what has me worried. If everything works out I believe we will be hosting the Ravens in the AFCCG.

But I am getting ahead of myself.

SidSmythe
01-04-2009, 11:05 PM
Rivers quote regarding the loss to the Steelers: "I think definitely through 17 games that's the toughest (defense) we've faced,"

Wow, even tougher than the Broncos???????

stlrz d
01-04-2009, 11:19 PM

I am watching the November game right now. I would have to agree with what you said. Our defense manhandled them. A very poorly called penalty gave them their only touchdown. The problem is, will our offense be able to produce again? That is what has me worried. If everything works out I believe we will be hosting the Ravens in the AFCCG.

But I am getting ahead of myself.

The Chargers D isn't all that good.

SteelerNation1
01-04-2009, 11:38 PM
As always, If Ben plays turnover free we coast...if not, it could get interesting in a hurry.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-05-2009, 02:15 AM

SNOW- and lots of it.

Either way I'm not ragging here. They had a great season, I'd argue an overachieving season against the toughest scheduled teams in football. And I expect when it's over, their deficits will be addressed.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Let me get this straight..........

We are at home facing an 8-8 team from the second worst division in the NFL...

We spent this weekend resting our wounded, they spent it on the west coast, now must fly east to face us...

They just won a game in warm and sunny California...

We were 6-2 at home, they were 3-5 on the road...

They were 0-5 against playoff teams this year, although, that did include one loss against Indy...

They thoroughly outplayed them in our previous meeting, only playing a close score because of some horrible officiating...

They went 5-1 in that awful division, meaning that they were 3-7 against the rest of the league - including 2-4 against the rest of the AFC...

The oddsmakers have installed us as early 6 point faves without much of a weather forecast for next Sunday...

Their win this week dropped Manning's career playoff record to 3-8 in years other than 2006 (7-8 overall)...

Yet you are telling us that it is the Steelers who need divine intervention??? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

frankthetank1
01-05-2009, 08:40 AM
As always, If Ben plays turnover free we coast...if not, it could get interesting in a hurry.

yup if they dont turn the ball over mainly ben then it will be a win. sproles is so fast but the guy goes down easily. im not worried about their offense all that much. i think ben can have a huge game. the chargers secondary might be the worst in the nfl this year

Oviedo
01-05-2009, 08:45 AM

Good Ben or Bad Ben--that will be the deciding factor in this game. If Ben throws interceptions just like he did in our 4 lossses then we lose. If Ben is off the mark I hope Tomlin yanks him and puts Leftwich in. In the long term a wake up call like that for Ben may be the best thing that could happen to him in his career.

feltdizz
01-05-2009, 09:34 AM

SNOW- and lots of it.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Let me get this straight..........

We are at home facing an 8-8 team from the second worst division in the NFL...

We spent this weekend resting our wounded, they spent it on the west coast, now must fly east to face us...

They just won a game in warm and sunny California...

We were 6-2 at home, they were 3-5 on the road...

They were 0-5 against playoff teams this year, although, that did include one loss against Indy...

They thoroughly outplayed them in our previous meeting, only playing a close score because of some horrible officiating...

They went 5-1 in that awful division, meaning that they were 3-7 against the rest of the league - including 2-4 against the rest of the AFC...

The oddsmakers have installed us as early 6 point faves without much of a weather forecast for next Sunday...

Their win this week dropped Manning's career playoff record to 3-8 in years other than 2006 (7-8 overall)...

Yet you are telling us that it is the Steelers who need divine intervention??? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:Agree

Chachi
01-05-2009, 10:36 AM

SNOW- and lots of it.

If it's a game day and there are a lot of people on the board I don't see an incompetant and stupid SteelStallion posting anything better than the regular posters here.

:wink:

On a serious note, O-lineless I get and agree with.

But fading? Because we went 3-1 in December?

I would like to apologize to SteelStallion for the above post.

My intention was not to disparage SteelStallion with insults and name calling but to point out, in a very sarcastic and I thought, humorous way (notice the wink --> :wink: ), that when he said, "I'm not ragging here", he was in fact ragging. Kind of like what Pete Carrol did recently here... (http://www.jsonline.com/sports/37073294.html)

It's also Southern Cal coach Pete Carroll celebrating the Rose Bowl stomping of Penn State by saying, "With all due respect, those are two great programs... but I don't think anybody can beat the Trojans this year."

Anytime you start with "In all due respect...", the last thing you are doing is respecting whoever you are talking about.

If you have to say, "I'm not ragging here", you are indeed ragging.

I should have just intoned that he sounded like Pete Carroll in the above quote and left the insults and name calling out of it.

Since SteelStallion did not reply I assume(d) that he understood the sarcastic humor I was attempting, but had he read it differently, I would have written this explanation and apologize anyway.

My warning by the mods about being petty and insulting others will help me keep an eye on how I express my New England sarcasm in the future.

Steeler Shades
01-05-2009, 03:20 PM
As always, If Ben plays turnover free we coast...if not, it could get interesting in a hurry.Good Ben or Bad Ben--that will be the deciding factor in this game. If Ben throws interceptions just like he did in our 4 lossses then we lose.
I would feel much more confident if Ben had limited his TOs to only our four losses. But his play in a few of our wins was also bad enough to possibly (likely) cost us a playoff game.

If Ben is off the mark I hope Tomlin yanks him and puts Leftwich in. In the long term a wake up call like that for Ben may be the best thing that could happen to him in his career.
I know this has been discussed ad nauseam, but no way Tomlin has the testicles (or lack of intelligence according to some) to pull Ben. Won't happen unless Ben gets in the 6+ TO range and the game is completely out of reach. Good or Bad...that is the way it will be again this post-season.....IMHO. 8)

feltdizz
01-05-2009, 04:45 PM
As always, If Ben plays turnover free we coast...if not, it could get interesting in a hurry.Good Ben or Bad Ben--that will be the deciding factor in this game. If Ben throws interceptions just like he did in our 4 lossses then we lose.
I would feel much more confident if Ben had limited his TOs to only our four losses. But his play in a few of our wins was also bad enough to possibly (likely) cost us a playoff game.

If Ben is off the mark I hope Tomlin yanks him and puts Leftwich in. In the long term a wake up call like that for Ben may be the best thing that could happen to him in his career.
I know this has been discussed ad nauseam, but no way Tomlin has the testicles (or lack of intelligence according to some) to pull Ben. Won't happen unless Ben gets in the 6+ TO range and the game is completely out of reach. Good or Bad...that is the way it will be again this post-season.....IMHO. 8)

I don't think so... I think benching Ben in the Washington game was evidence that Tomlin will not let Ben lose a game for us like he did last year... some could say Ben was injured but I think Tomlin benched him cause it was obvious he wasn't cutting it playing his way...(without reps and practice)

all that being said... how many intelligent coaches WOULD pull Ben after 3 INT's or 2 INT's? Not many... not many at all..

Steeler Shades
01-05-2009, 05:18 PM
... how many intelligent coaches WOULD pull Ben after 3 INT's or 2 INT's?
Three TO's in one half of a playoff game when there is no tomorrow if you lose? We know of at least one that would rather go play golf than upset the fragile ego of his franchise QB. 8)

ikestops85
01-05-2009, 06:05 PM
... how many intelligent coaches WOULD pull Ben after 3 INT's or 2 INT's?
Three TO's in one half of a playoff game when there is no tomorrow if you lose? We know of at least one that would rather go play golf than upset the fragile ego of his franchise QB. 8)

Not many "good" QBs would be pulled even after 3 ints in the 1st half. It happened last year with Ben and he brought them back to take the lead in the game. With a QB like Ben you take the good and the bad. He can look horrible one minute and brilliant the next. Nobody caters to his ego ... they cater to his talent.

stlrz d
01-05-2009, 06:39 PM
Ben wasn't benched against the Skins.

agdci981
01-05-2009, 06:45 PM
I only read the original post but this is the dumbest thing I have read. Pittsburgh's only chance is snow? Better tell Vegas that. They have Steelers 6 point faves so they must think there is gonna be a blizzard! Steelers SHOULD win this game unless they hurt themselves with turnovers, bad special teams and mental mistakes.

NW Steeler
01-05-2009, 07:31 PM
A loss to the Chargers would be embarrasing after the season we have had. A lot of the talking heads are totally sniffing the Chargers jocks right now too, it seems as though people are forgetting about the Steelers again. That's ok with me. It seems like everytime that the press starts fawning over the Steelers that they come out and lay an egg. Hopefully our D comes out frothing at the mouth in this game and sets the tone right off the bat. Our offense, on the other hand will be a crapshoot. I don't know what to expect there. I just don't want to have to hold my breath for 3 hours.

Steeler Shades
01-05-2009, 07:46 PM
With a QB like Ben you take the good and the bad. He can look horrible one minute and brilliant the next.
Agreed. It it the horrible moments that can end a season quickly in the playoffs. Unfortunately he has had too many "Bad Ben" days this season and one more could be one too many.

Nobody caters to his ego ... they cater to his talent.
Clearly if he didn't have talent he wouldn't be starting for an NFL team and making 100+ million $$. We may have to agree to disagree about whether the Steelers only cater to Ben's talent and not his ego. 8)

Wolfhound45
01-05-2009, 10:09 PM
How embarrassing would it be for a 10-8 team to host the AFCCG? Not going to to happen. Steelers take care of business this Sunday.

Thanks to stlrz d, I believe. :Steel

stlrz d
01-05-2009, 10:14 PM
How embarrassing would it be for a 10-8 team to host the AFCCG? Not going to to happen. Steelers take care of business this Sunday.

Thanks to stlrz d, I believe. :Steel

Glad to be of service!

Yes Sir!

:tt2