PDA

View Full Version : This should put it to rest once an for all

Oviedo
01-03-2009, 05:40 PM
Detroit, the Jets, Denver, Cleveland all looking for coaches. Names mentioned Cowher, Shanahan, McDaniel, Schottenheimer, Garrett, etc. The name not mentioned: Russ Grimm.

Hopefully once and for all all the delusional fans who ever thought that Russ Grimm had any business even being considered for the Steelers can wake up to the reality that Grimm would never hold a candle to Mike Tomlin. That would be the same Mike Tomlin who has accomplished what no Steelers' coach ever had, i.e. 10+ win in first two season and two Division titles in first two season.

Thank goodness the Rooneys see thing the way they are. Maybe Faneca can get his buddy an interview for the Jets. I'm sure Buffalo, New England and Miami would endorse that.

Iron Shiek
01-03-2009, 06:11 PM
While he hasn't been mentioned, it isn't out of the realm of possibility that he is not being considered. Just to note, I never wanted Grimm as a coach. But listening to Peter King this past week he claims Grimm is pretty highly regarded among NFL circles and will get some calls. Perhaps since his team is in the playoffs any contact has been minimal until after this first game.

But I agree for what its worth. I couldn't advocate him coaching the steelers, much less any other team.

Although Whis has got his team firing on all cylinders early!!

AkronSteel
01-03-2009, 06:14 PM
:Clap

stlrz d
01-03-2009, 06:22 PM
Not much mention of the genius Billick's name either!

Les 74
01-03-2009, 06:24 PM
Sure would be nice to hear Arians' name mentioned among those.

Iron Shiek
01-03-2009, 06:25 PM
Yeah that is kinda odd. Billick would seem like a candidate for some jobs. Maybe he likes the TV gig. He's pretty good at doing the games and people rave about him on the radio. Its weird that Fassel is suggested as a possible candidate and not billick. Weird.

Iron Shiek
01-03-2009, 06:26 PM
Sure would be nice to hear Arians' name mentioned among those.

Pigs will be flying that day I think.

Les 74
01-03-2009, 06:36 PM
[quote="Les 74":3rvfaexb]Sure would be nice to hear Arians' name mentioned among those.

Pigs will be flying that day I think.[/quote:3rvfaexb]

There will always be another Temple.Thats the only thing keeping me optimistic.

MeetJoeGreene
01-05-2009, 10:47 AM
I hope Grimm goes to Cleveland.

Oviedo
01-05-2009, 11:08 AM
I hope Grimm goes to Cleveland.

Mangini has the inside track for Cleveland unless they sign Scott Paoli to be GM and he doesn't want Mangini.

I don't see Paoli going to Cleveland though.

JAR
01-06-2009, 08:33 AM
NFL Notebook: Grimm to interview with Jets
Tuesday, January 06, 2009
From wire dispatches

The New York Jets will interview Cardinals offensive line coach Russ Grimm on Thursday in Arizona about their coaching vacancy, a person familiar with the search said.

Grimm, 49, is in his second season with the Cardinals, who play at Carolina in the NFC divisional playoffs Saturday.

Jets owner Woody Johnson and general manager Mike Tannenbaum will make the trip to Arizona for the interview, according to the person, who requested anonymity.

Boston College coach Jeff Jagodzinski has also been invited to interview for the job, a school official told The AP, and the school has reportedly threatened to fire him if he goes through with it.
Chargers

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09006/939820-66.stm

Oviedo
01-06-2009, 08:53 AM
From wire dispatches

The New York Jets will interview Cardinals offensive line coach Russ Grimm on Thursday in Arizona about their coaching vacancy, a person familiar with the search said.

Grimm, 49, is in his second season with the Cardinals, who play at Carolina in the NFC divisional playoffs Saturday.

Jets owner Woody Johnson and general manager Mike Tannenbaum will make the trip to Arizona for the interview, according to the person, who requested anonymity.

Boston College coach Jeff Jagodzinski has also been invited to interview for the job, a school official told The AP, and the school has reportedly threatened to fire him if he goes through with it.
Chargers

I predicted Faneca would get him an interview. Good luck to him.

Jooser
01-06-2009, 10:00 AM
[quote="Les 74":3mmskzz2]Sure would be nice to hear Arians' name mentioned among those.

Pigs will be flying that day I think.[/quote:3mmskzz2]

Never give up Shieky, never give up!!! :lol: :lol:

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/5371/flyingpigns3.png (http://imageshack.us)

proudpittsburgher
01-06-2009, 10:07 AM
From wire dispatches

Chargers

Sorry, have to ask. Does this put an end to this thread, once and for all? :stirpot

Oviedo
01-06-2009, 11:10 AM
From wire dispatches

Chargers

Sorry, have to ask. Does this put an end to this thread, once and for all? :stirpot

Threads like email never die. They just get overtaken by events.

proudpittsburgher
01-06-2009, 11:29 AM
From wire dispatches

Chargers

Threads like email never die. They just get overtaken by events.

Aw man, now you are getting all philosophical and stuff. :)

flippy
01-06-2009, 12:37 PM
I bet Grimm will make a better HC than OLine coach.

Also think some team should talk to John Mitchell.

MeetJoeGreene
01-06-2009, 12:56 PM

??? Really???

What makes you think that - 'cause I just don't see it.

I did hear on the First Team on Fox this morning that he was going to talk to the Jets.

flippy
01-06-2009, 01:06 PM

??? Really???

I did hear on the First Team on Fox this morning that he was going to talk to the Jets.

I see teaching fundamentals of line play and being a head coach as completely different things.

Grimm's a winner, well respected, and confident. And an all around quality guy by most accounts. He's been around well run organizations all his life. And he'll take a lot of those good things with him to be a leader.

Plus the Steelers almost picked him.

Whiz is doing a decent job in AZ so far, but the Rooney's preferred Grimm over Whiz. That says the most for me.

Djfan
01-07-2009, 03:20 AM
How about we all go to other boards and talk about how great Bruce A is, so that the idiots who don't know what to do, but do read boards, will spread that rumor?

It may work..........

Oviedo
01-07-2009, 09:09 AM

??? Really???

I see teaching fundamentals of line play and being a head coach as completely different things.

Grimm's a winner, well respected, and confident. And an all around quality guy by most accounts. He's been around well run organizations all his life. And he'll take a lot of those good things with him to be a leader.

Whiz is doing a decent job in AZ so far, but the Rooney's preferred Grimm over Whiz. That says the most for me.

If his time with the Steelers is any indicator I'm not sure Grimm can be an effective leader. By all indications he likes to be "one of the boys." You can't be a motorcycle riding buddy of your players. Think Noll hung out with the "boys?" Cowher? Tomlin?

Trust me that doesn't work when you are the one who has to end people's careers. Think Grimm would bench Faneca?

Leper Friend
01-07-2009, 09:39 PM
Detroit, the Jets, Denver, Cleveland all looking for coaches. Names mentioned Cowher, Shanahan, McDaniel, Schottenheimer, Garrett, etc. The name not mentioned: Russ Grimm.

Hopefully once and for all all the delusional fans who ever thought that Russ Grimm had any business even being considered for the Steelers can wake up to the reality that Grimm would never hold a candle to Mike Tomlin. That would be the same Mike Tomlin who has accomplished what no Steelers' coach ever had, i.e. 10+ win in first two season and two Division titles in first two season.

Thank goodness the Rooneys see thing the way they are. Maybe Faneca can get his buddy an interview for the Jets. I'm sure Buffalo, New England and Miami would endorse that. :Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap

I said this last year too. Grimm may get a couple token interviews but he's not head coach material.Just look at the o-line he assmbled here.

AkronSteel
01-07-2009, 10:42 PM

??? Really???

If his time with the Steelers is any indicator I'm not sure Grimm can be an effective leader. By all indications he likes to be "one of the boys." You can't be a motorcycle riding buddy of your players. Think Noll hung out with the "boys?" Cowher? Tomlin?

Trust me that doesn't work when you are the one who has to end people's careers. Think Grimm would bench Faneca?

Really? I heard Tomlin was seen chillin in Santonio's car after practice on Oct. 23rd! :D
:stirpot

agdci981
01-08-2009, 01:07 AM

Thank goodness the Rooneys see thing the way they are. Maybe Faneca can get his buddy an interview for the Jets. I'm sure Buffalo, New England and Miami would endorse that. :Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap

I said this last year too. Grimm may get a couple token interviews but he's not head coach material.Just look at the o-line he assmbled here.
His O-Lines opened up holes for top run games almost every season he was here.... :roll:

agdci981
01-08-2009, 01:08 AM
From wire dispatches

Chargers

Oviedo... :owned

Oviedo
01-08-2009, 08:59 AM
From wire dispatches

Chargers

Reading is fundamental. Read the entire thread. I correctly predicted the Jets interview might occur.

Maybe Faneca can get his buddy an interview for the Jets. I'm sure Buffalo, New England and Miami would endorse that.

Lets see if he gets the job or anyone other than the Jets with his buddy Faneca lobbying for him gives him a courtesy interview. Not even the Redskins where he was a all time great wanted to interview him last year.

Now who got owned?

Steelerphile
01-08-2009, 10:28 AM
I am hoping that Grimm does get this job. Then hopefully agdci981, LasVegasguy and the others who can't stand Tomlin despite two consecutive division titles and an overall 22-11 record, in his first two seasons, will have enough of a motivation to go to either the Cards or the Jets and become fans of those teams.

I certainly cannot comprehend why anyone continues a relationship with a team or person just to keep saying "I hate you and I wish you would go away."

I don't believe either of these guys or many of the people on these boards are residents of Pittsburgh or have any reason to feel trapped into being Steelers fans.

Go be with the one you want to be with. PLEASE. No team is without flaws. I'll betcha even the great AZ Cardinals have a few, but when you love someone as they do Whiz, you don't see flaws. If Grimm gets the job, they will see no flaws in the Jets. And that would be Eden and paradise, so I can't figure out why they don't avail themselves of that.

agdci981
01-08-2009, 06:05 PM
I am hoping that Grimm does get this job. Then hopefully agdci981, LasVegasguy and the others who can't stand Tomlin despite two consecutive division titles and an overall 22-11 record, in his first two seasons, will have enough of a motivation to go to either the Cards or the Jets and become fans of those teams.

I certainly cannot comprehend why anyone continues a relationship with a team or person just to keep saying "I hate you and I wish you would go away."

I don't believe either of these guys or many of the people on these boards are residents of Pittsburgh or have any reason to feel trapped into being Steelers fans.

Go be with the one you want to be with. PLEASE. No team is without flaws. I'll betcha even the great AZ Cardinals have a few, but when you love someone as they do Whiz, you don't see flaws. If Grimm gets the job, they will see no flaws in the Jets. And that would be Eden and paradise, so I can't figure out why they don't avail themselves of that.
I am originally from southwestern PA and that is more than probably 90% of this board can say. Cards defense sucks. Whis doesnt know anything about defense and it is showing just like Tomlin doesnt know anything about offense and it has shown. 12 wins or not, this offense has regressed in the last 2 years. That cannot even be argued. Whis + Lebeau would have equaled a more dangerous team in the playoffs this year IMO. Has Tomlin done a bad job? No. Has his offense been pathetic? YES. Tomlin knew the weaknesses of this team and he did nothing to fix them and even went out an dhired a JOKE of a Oline coach.

agdci981
01-08-2009, 06:06 PM
From wire dispatches

Chargers

Reading is fundamental. Read the entire thread. I correctly predicted the Jets interview might occur.

Maybe Faneca can get his buddy an interview for the Jets. I'm sure Buffalo, New England and Miami would endorse that.

Lets see if he gets the job or anyone other than the Jets with his buddy Faneca lobbying for him gives him a courtesy interview. Not even the Redskins where he was a all time great wanted to interview him last year.

Now who got owned?
:owned

ikestops85
01-08-2009, 06:50 PM

I am originally from southwestern PA and that is more than probably 90% of this board can say. Cards defense sucks. Whis doesnt know anything about defense and it is showing just like Tomlin doesnt know anything about offense and it has shown. 12 wins or not, this offense has regressed in the last 2 years. That cannot even be argued. Whis + Lebeau would have equaled a more dangerous team in the playoffs this year IMO. Has Tomlin done a bad job? No. Has his offense been pathetic? YES. Tomlin knew the weaknesses of this team and he did nothing to fix them and even went out an dhired a JOKE of a Oline coach.

Year..........PTS/G.......YRDS/G

I wouldn't say our offense regressed because of Tomlin. Last year was one of the best offensive years we have had. Comparable to the SB year in 2005 and Tomlin/Ariens were the coaches. Granted, the offense has looked feeble at times this year. Similar to how it did in many of the Cowher years.

Do some of you not know the steelers went 12-4 this year and won the AFCN title. Granted they aren't perfect but the way some of you talk about them you'd think we were competing with the lions for the #1 overall pick. You guys don't have a clue what "pathetic" football is. I rooted for the steelers in the 60's ... then you saw some pathetic football.

mshifko
01-08-2009, 06:53 PM
i was ecstatic we chose tomlin for a reason...i knew russ didn't have that HC trait...he's a phenomenal position coach and was a great player, but he doesn't have that swag to be a HC IMHO...he's best suited for an assistant coaching gig, which is what he is currently doing

feltdizz
01-08-2009, 07:22 PM

I doubt you are really from SW PA. You may have been born there but you probably weren't raised there more then 5 years... Anyone from that area or really has ties to the area is a DIE HARD fan and even if they despise Tomlin (skin color or othertwise...) they get on board when he goes 12-4 in year 2 and has the best D we have seen since the 70's.

If Whiz couldn't get Cowher's endorsement then something was up... I bet DL would have left or Ben would have opted out... something along those lines...

Defense wins championships dude... 12-4 and yeah.. the O needs work... but isn't 12-4 and a spotty O have you sleeping better then a 9-7 in the WORST division in football with a bad D?

pfelix73
01-08-2009, 07:56 PM
It was between Whisenhunt, Grimm, and Tomlin. Because the Steelers took too long to make up their minds, Whisenhunt went elsewhere. I still believe that no matter who is/ was selected as the HC this team would still be right where it is today. 2 games away from a SB. Again. The end game was going to be the same regardless- meaning LeBeau was going to be retained along with Arians as the OC. The Steelers FO pretty much determined that without the input from Tomlin. Anyone really think that the Rooney's would allow Tomlin to replace LeBeau?

Let's not forget that this is still pretty much Cowher's team. I will evaluate Tomlin's coaching down the road. When all of these FA's leave and the team is in turnover mode. That's when Tomlin will earn his $.

steelz09
01-08-2009, 08:17 PM
Well, our players on offense simply haven't executed well. We don't have good O-Line personnel, that's just obvious. I admit I don't know much about our o-line coach but he surely doesn't have good talent to work with either.

And to make matters worse, we don't call a good offensive game knowing that our o-line can't hold their blocks. This is on Arians. I also place some blame on Tomlin, as he should sit Arians down and talk about this.

I can't remember what game this wasor which teams, but the announcer said something that really made me think... He said something along the lines of .. this OC is really good. He knows the <team> offensive personnel and developed plays/game plans that would succeed with that personnel.

Arians seems to be the exact opposite. I feel that Arians created the plays/game plans to his "liking" and the players are having to adapt to "Arians Ways". This should NOT happen. Why force something on the players when you don't have the personnel to succeed. Tomlin said the exactly same thing when talking about switching to a 4-3. He said we have 3-4 personnel and we're good at it, why would we switch to a 4-3??

We have good offensive weapons (our oline sucks) and I just don't think we should struggle to get first downs over an extended amount of time.

agdci981
01-09-2009, 03:03 AM

I wouldn't say our offense regressed because of Tomlin. Last year was one of the best offensive years we have had. Comparable to the SB year in 2005 and Tomlin/Ariens were the coaches. Granted, the offense has looked feeble at times this year. Similar to how it did in many of the Cowher years.

Do some of you not know the steelers went 12-4 this year and won the AFCN title. Granted they aren't perfect but the way some of you talk about them you'd think we were competing with the lions for the #1 overall pick. You guys don't have a clue what "pathetic" football is. I rooted for the steelers in the 60's ... then you saw some pathetic football.
Please show me the rushing numbers....You know when Cowher was here and Arians wasnt coordinating the offense this was a ball control offense more so than now. Also...we have the worst offense left in the playoffs, statistically.

ikestops85
01-09-2009, 06:02 PM

Please show me the rushing numbers....You know when Cowher was here and Arians wasnt coordinating the offense this was a ball control offense more so than now. Also...we have the worst offense left in the playoffs, statistically.

Sorry, I thought you were talking about the offense as a whole. Not just the rushing aspect. Last year we were 3rd in the league in rushing averaging 135.5 ypg. In 2005 and 2006 we averaged 138.9 and 124.5 respectively. Pretty much the same. I don't think anyone will argue that the offense has taken a downturn this year but 1 year does not a trend make. Now if it continues to get worse next year I would agree it's regressing. Much the same as it did at times in the Cowher regime.