PDA

View Full Version : What KIND OF offense do you want?

Oviedo
12-31-2008, 01:59 PM
Lots of folks talking about WHO they want, but WHAT do we really want in an offense may be the better question.

Myself, I want:

1. An offense that utilizes the TE and doesn't hesitate to spread it out and takes full advantage of the NFL rules that grossly favor passing and the ability to force defenses to react by dinking and dunking until a legit shot opens deep versus forcing a vertical pass.
2. An offense that uses multiple RBs and can power run when required.

What I absolutely know that I do not want is a return to the predictable, conservative running attacks of the Cowher era. News flash: we don't have Bettis anymore and what they did worked only because you had a Hall of Fame 270lb RB. Don't think you can do what you did with him again.

Do we really know what any of the much mentioned names would really bring? Are many people just guessing different means better?

mshifko
12-31-2008, 02:05 PM
i'd like an offense with a nice balanced of run and pass...

use your short 3-step passing game, early and often to set up the run...
use a fullback, i-formation as your base set; pound the football...
spread it out on occassion, using 4 wides...
throw the ball to your tight end out of the i-formation, use your TE as a slot occassionally...
do NOT utilize zone blocking schemes because our personnel doesn't fit the scheme up front...

basically i want to do away with the double tight set...i'm not a big fan out of running the ball out of that formation...i prefer to run the ball out of i formation and 3-4 wide sets...

i want a passing game when you utilize all 4 WR's and occassionally a TE...hit the short stuff early, go deep on 1st down and after a turnover, and be a good screen team...

Discipline of Steel
12-31-2008, 02:09 PM
Offenses have different personell packages that allow them to accomplish different tasks. One package we dont have is 'Heavy' and I wish our Steelers would return next year with some semblance of a power running game. With that said, i would like to keep Kemo, add a true FB, and acquire Le'Ron McLain or Brandon Jacobs. Yes, I know #3 is just a dream but some semblance of that would be very nice. BA does not promote that philosophy in his schemes and that is why I dont think hes a true Steeler and will be gone after this year.

Oviedo
12-31-2008, 02:10 PM
i'd like an offense with a nice balanced of run and pass...

use your short 3-step passing game, early and often to set up the run...
use a fullback, i-formation as your base set; pound the football...
spread it out on occassion, using 4 wides...
throw the ball to your tight end out of the i-formation, use your TE as a slot occassionally...
do NOT utilize zone blocking schemes because our personnel doesn't fit the scheme up front...

basically i want to do away with the double tight set...i'm not a big fan out of running the ball out of that formation...i prefer to run the ball out of i formation and 3-4 wide sets...

i want a passing game when you utilize all 4 WR's and occassionally a TE...hit the short stuff early, go deep on 1st down and after a turnover, and be a good screen team...

I like our 2 TE sets because I think our top 2 TEs are better than our #4 WR. TEs can catch and block where WRs split wide usually can't factor into blocking. I would think that with 2 TEs you have more options with audibles between run and pass.

papillon
12-31-2008, 02:16 PM
Lots of folks talking about WHO they want, but WHAT do we really want in an offense may be the better question.

Myself, I want:

1. An offense that utilizes the TE and doesn't hesitate to spread it out and takes full advantage of the NFL rules that grossly favor passing and the ability to force defenses to react by dinking and dunking until a legit shot opens deep versus forcing a vertical pass.
2. An offense that uses multiple RBs and can power run when required.

What I absolutely know that I do not want is a return to the predictable, conservative running attacks of the Cowher era. News flash: we don't have Bettis anymore and what they did worked only because you had a Hall of Fame 270lb RB. Don't think you can do what you did with him again.

Do we really know what any of the much mentioned names would really bring? Are many people just guessing different means better?

I'd take the Bill Cowher boring as hell offense in a minute with a now in his fifth year franchise quarterback Ben Roethlisberger. The offense doesn't need a 270 pound HOF running back to be effective. La'Ron McClain is doing just fine in that role without putting up gawdy numbers. Defenses have to respect the fact that he can make soemthing out of nothing and the play action passing game is wide open even when they aren't running for large amounts of yards.

The current offense has trouble converting a 3rd and 1 or 3rd and 2, I actually prefer when they have somewhere between 4 and 8 yards to go on third down. Third and 1 is almost guaranteed to cause a punt, because, our offense tries to finesse run the ball for 1 freakin yard.

Pappy

MeetJoeGreene
12-31-2008, 02:27 PM
Balanced. The right blend of power running, speed running, short passes, and bombs.

Adaptable. Ability to use any aspect of those balances in varying proportions depending on the need, what is working, etc.

Consistent. One that is not red-hot one game and then fizzles the next.

Disciplined. Does not commit a lot of stupid penalties or turnovers.

Unpredictable. To opposing defenses. The right mix of the balanced attributes and the correct times to keep the defense guessing.

SteelerNation1
12-31-2008, 02:59 PM
I want an offense that doesnt turn the ball over and one that wins! Period.

Jigawatts
12-31-2008, 03:03 PM
I want an offense that doesnt turn the ball over and one that wins! Period.

:Agree

Don't turn the ball over. Don't put our defense in bad situations. Sustain drives to
close out games.

Steeler Shades
12-31-2008, 03:08 PM
Opportunistic.

1. I want an offense that is well disciplined and plays smart.
2. An offense with few penalties and mental errors.
3. One that doesn't turn the ball over.
4. Not predictable.
5. One that has a balance between speed rushing and power running and that can spread the field by going deep or wear away at them by throwing to the TEs / RBs short.
6. One that utilizes it weapons to attack the defenses weaknesses.
7. One that helps the defense by scoring 20+ points per game and maintaining possession of the ball.
8)

stlrz d
12-31-2008, 03:33 PM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y23/nbest221/scales.jpg

pittpete
12-31-2008, 03:47 PM
Balanced offense is more dangerous IMHO.
Keep the defense guessing.
Also an offense that can grind it out at the end of game to run out the clock.
An offense that can adjust to a defense during the game.
Everything Bruce Arians isnt. :Hater

SteelCrazy
12-31-2008, 03:53 PM
I want a combination of all kinds of offensive formations and sets. I want to be able to run the West Coast and turn over to the Wildcat. Be in the I one moment and then hurry up to the Shotgun. It's about keeping your opponent off balance and this would certainly do it.

:Boobs :Boobs :Boobs

Snatch98
12-31-2008, 04:44 PM
One that puts points on the board. I don't care how it's done.

Jom112
12-31-2008, 05:04 PM
I would like to see you guys keep the same offense.

Steeler fans though should look no futher than the Baltimore Ravens to see what you guys should do:

Run the ball, run the ball and then run the ball some more.

2008:

Steelers: 506 passing attempts, 460 rushing attempts
Ravens: 433 passing attempts, 592 rushing attempts

Only 46 more passes than rushes is pretty balanced. You don't need balance, you need to run the ball more.

2005:

Steelers: 379 passing attempts, 549 rushing attempts
Ravens: 562 passing attempts, 452 rushing attempts

feltdizz
12-31-2008, 06:04 PM
a productive one.. it's not how many times you run or pass but when you run or pass.

We could run 60% of the time but if it's in a single back set what good is it?

BURGH86STEEL
12-31-2008, 06:12 PM
Execution
Consistency
Take care of the football

Djfan
12-31-2008, 07:05 PM
Tough run game with a quick FWP type, and a bruiser Bus type.

Miller, Hines, and a Serious deep threat, all who can take a short dump pass and get RAC.

An O line that doesn't have zone blocking, but can man handle the big boys.

A QB who is control minded, with a gift for the long pass when available, but seen prior to the snap.

A combo of no huddle, and typical offensive approaches, but trick plays just enough to keep defenses on their heels.

Sound familiar?

dirt
01-01-2009, 09:11 PM
i want an offensive coordinator that can identify an opponents weaknesses and exploit them. i think that's what new england does so well. remember the year they ran like 20 consecutive short passes against us?

like a lot of you have said, i want an offense that is diverse. example 1. it seems like every other play we're lined up in a bunch formation. i'm not against the bunch formation, but mix it up! spread it out once in a while. use a fullback!

example 2. how many games in a row did we run the same gd running play at the goal line and in short yardage situations? creativity...?

example 3. the eagles game. tell me you weren't screaming at the television to try a few screens and draw plays to counteract the blitzes. arians had a game plan and stuck to it regardless of how poorly it worked.

SteelerOfDeVille
01-02-2009, 02:18 AM
I want an offense with the balance of what the Packers had in the mid-to late 90's. Favre, Chmura, Freeman, Brooks, Dorsey Levins... Or what the Cowboys had with the triplets and Novacek.

I want the coordinator to be smart enough to know that he has all those weapons and wise enough to take advantage of whatever opportunities he needs to in order to win.

An offense that isn't exclusively tight sets or wide sets... or 3 TE or 2 RB... I want some creativity.

I'm honestly keeping my fingers crossed for Scott Linehan (if he doesn't already have a job).

Another one I wouldn't be terribly dissapointed to have at OC is Rob Chudzinski... yep, the Browns current OC... their offense has been decent - decent enough to go 11-5 last year, with a sub-par defense.

SteelStallion
01-02-2009, 12:51 PM
One with a competent o-line would be a nice start. :stirpot After that you can do anything you want and it would work out fine given your franchise qb and good skilled players.

Steeler Mafia
01-02-2009, 01:02 PM
I want an offense that does not get shut out on 4 downs from inside the 3 yard line, much like in the Dallas game and a few others that I am still in therapy for.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-02-2009, 01:52 PM
I have no problem with the offensive scheme trying to be implemented. Arians is trying to do it behind an inexperienced OL. Time will tell if it could get better! I would also like to see a "closer" running game when it would be needed. The Steelers need a bruising, cold weather back who could move the chains and the clock.

100$handshake
01-02-2009, 09:15 PM
I want an offense that passes well enough to consistently get the lead and runs well enough to keep it.

Steeler Shades
01-02-2009, 10:43 PM
I want an offense that helps to win games instead helping the other team with points and field position. 8)

steelcityrules!!
01-03-2009, 01:59 AM
dink and dunk?
my god... i wanna puke.

i want a running game that is FEARED.
that will breed a passing game that can't be predicted and a turnover ratio that is heavily in our favor.

i don't want 3 yards and a cloud of dirt, i want 6 yards and some D-lineman blood on the turf.
a guy like brandon jacobs could do that in our offense... and i think that if given a chance, gary russell could do similar.

regardless of the kind of offense that you or I want, the line is the X factor at this point.

BIG NASTIES... GET PISSED OFF AND DOMINATE!

hellbanger
01-03-2009, 07:00 PM
Execution
Consistency
Take care of the football

Well said! :Clap