PDA

View Full Version : Defense wants to be known as Super

NKySteeler
12-30-2008, 08:48 PM
Defense wants to be known as Super
By F. Dale Lolley, Staff writer
dlolley@observer-reporter.com

PITTSBURGH - The Steelers defense has drawn plenty of accolades this season as perhaps one of the best in NFL history.

Despite finishing first in scoring, overall and pass defense, and second against the run, the Steelers know that to truly be considered great, there's still some work to be done.

"Win the Super Bowl and 20 years from now they're really going to talk about you," linebacker Larry Foote said. "It's like what the Bears did in 1985 and what the Ravens did in 2000. I remember they were showing stats on TV that the (1978) Rams had one of the best defenses, and I didn't know that. It goes to show you've got to win the Super Bowl to be remembered."

The Steelers, who finished off their 12-4 regular season Sunday with a 31-0 shellacking of Cleveland, have a bye this week but will begin preparation for their Jan. 11 divisional playoff game today. They will also practice Wednesday and Thursday before taking the weekend off.

"It's nice to have this bye week. Our defense has been on the field a lot and this gives our defense a great chance to heal up," safety Troy Polamalu said.

The rest is much-needed after a schedule that saw the Steelers play seven of the other 11 playoff teams this season - including Baltimore twice - going 4-4 in those games. Of their 16 games, 11 were against teams that finished .500 or better.

Despite that, the Steelers held 15 of their 16 opponents to fewer than 300 total yards and allowed more than two offensive touchdowns in a game just twice.

"To go 12-4 playing the schedule we did, I think that says a lot about this team and this defense," said Foote.

The 237.2 yards per game the Steelers allowed was the lowest since the 1991 Philadelphia Eagles gave up 221.8. But Philadelphia went 10-6 that season and did not make the playoffs.

"Getting 12 wins is important. I remember people saying we weren't going to do very well this year because of our schedule," Polamalu said. "But everybody knows we're going into the part of the season where records don't matter any more. So that's where it's really positive we have a playoff-experienced team."

Ironically, perhaps the best defense in Steelers' history, the 1976 team that shut out five of its final eight opponents, didn't make the Super Bowl, as injuries derailed the team in the AFC Championship.

"If you really want to be a great defense, you have to win the big games, the important ones, because people don't really remember great defenses that don't win championships," Polamalu said. "We have an opportunity to do that, to be remembered."

Odds and end zones

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, who suffered a concussion at the end of the first half of Sunday's win over Cleveland, was released from the hospital late Sunday night. ... Roethlisberger became the first quarterback to start all 16 games for the Steelers since Kordell Stewart in 2001. ... Willie Parker's 791 yards rushing were the fewest to lead the Steelers since Amos Zereoue had 762 in 2002.

steelz09
12-31-2008, 10:19 AM
"It's nice to have this bye week. Our defense has been on the field a lot and this gives our defense a great chance to heal up," safety Troy Polamalu said.

I had to laugh at this comment when I read it. Brutal honesty. He can thank his offense for not being able to sustain drives as the reason for "being on the field a lot".

SidSmythe
12-31-2008, 11:14 AM

I had to laugh at this comment when I read it. Brutal honesty. He can thank his offense for not being able to sustain drives as the reason for "being on the field a lot".

Troy's my kind of guy. He speaks the truth but not in a mean spirited way. And when he speaks people respect it.

Mel Blount's G
12-31-2008, 04:45 PM
I can't see a date when this was last updated but as of right now, espn sats have our D w/ the sweep INCLUDING BEST RUN D. We beat out the felons by a yard. Looking at thegame stats from sunday the jags had 118 yards in rushing while the stains got 104 on us.

Right here==> http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/statistic ... 8&season=2 (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/statistics?stat=team&sort=ypg&pos=def&league=nfl&year=2008&season=2)