PDA

View Full Version : SHANAHAN FIRED!

NYPDSTEEL
12-30-2008, 07:15 PM
what gives? his team was killed by injuries.

BURGH86STEEL
12-30-2008, 07:17 PM
what gives? his team was killed by injuries.

Probably the way they loss to the Chargers.

motter1975
12-30-2008, 07:20 PM
I would imagine it's because of their collapse at the end of the season. 3 games up on the division with 3 games left to play and they fail to make the playoffs. Still though, I think it was a bad decision. But I think we'll see him coaching somewhere else next year. I imagine that he just became the hottest coach on the market.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-30-2008, 07:23 PM
Cowher in Denver? Shanny in Manhattan? Yikes!

PS: NYPD - do you work for NYPD? I just spent 2-1/2 hrs in the precinct house at 34th around 9th ... I'll tell you more if you do work there :Blah :wft :D

NYPDSTEEL
12-30-2008, 07:30 PM

PS: NYPD - do you work for NYPD? I just spent 2-1/2 hrs in the precinct house at 34th around 9th ... I'll tell you more if you do work there :Blah :wft :D

18 yrs
2 to go

MeetJoeGreene
12-30-2008, 07:58 PM
That really surprises me.

He will end up somewhere soon.

It wouldn't surprise me if he went to Oakland just to try to get even.

TallyStiller
12-30-2008, 08:00 PM
Shanny's been there for 15 years or better... won 2 SB's more than a decade ago... and hasn't been in the playoffs since the home defeat in the '05 AFCC. Besides missing the postseason, he's made a number of questionable decisions... Maurice Clarett? The entire Cleveland D line after they finished 32nd in the league in defense?

I personally think Denver was in a d***ed if you do, d***ed if you don't situation. I think Shanahan was getting complacent, and to keep him likely doomed them to continued mediocrity... but at the same time, I think he's a good coach, and he'll win again with a change of scenery.

I'll bet the Jets come after him hard. and wouldn't it be funny if he landed in KC, making it 3 out of 4 HC jobs in the division and giving him 4 axe to grind games every year. That'd be fun...

NW Steeler
12-30-2008, 08:00 PM
That really surprises me.

He will end up somewhere soon.

It wouldn't surprise me if he went to Oakland just to try to get even.

That would be kind of funny if he stayed in the division just to stick it to Denver. Maybe KC is a possibility? I can't see him going back to work for Al Davis again.

ghettoscott
12-30-2008, 08:26 PM
I personally think Denver was in a d***ed if you do, d***ed if you don't situation.

Maybe queer bait can submit his resume.....

Hardliner
12-30-2008, 09:31 PM
Some AFC West perspective is needed here. Shannarat deserved his whacking. Yeah, I'm biased in large measure, but the guy could not get the team over the hump after Elway went away. That's largely documented and indisputable.

The Rat was of huge ego without the goods. He's what we call in my part of mid-America the classic case of "Big Hat--No Cattle". Any team that hires him based on his Elway championships had best hope that Elway has found the fountain of youth and ready to be his QB.

How's that for perspective, Steel folk?

Sugar
12-30-2008, 10:25 PM
Some AFC West perspective is needed here. Shannarat deserved his whacking. Yeah, I'm biased in large measure, but the guy could not get the team over the hump after Elway went away. That's largely documented and indisputable.

The Rat was of huge ego without the goods. He's what we call in my part of mid-America the classic case of "Big Hat--No Cattle". Any team that hires him based on his Elway championships had best hope that Elway has found the fountain of youth and ready to be his QB.

That said, hasn't Jamarcus Russell been most compared to Elway? :stirpot

papillon
12-31-2008, 12:05 AM

Just remember there's bad karma...the Chiefs fire Edwards and hire Shanahan. Now wouldn't that be some major mojo and bad karma for you? :stirpot :moon :P

Pappy

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-31-2008, 02:31 AM

18 yrs
2 to go

Congrats, NYPD Steel! How'd you ever get into the Steelers, and not the Jets or Giants?

We were in NYC this Christmas, my wife got pickpocketed in Times Square, they got her cash and credit cards, and had started using the latter before we got a stop on them. So, because it wasn't just lost property, we got to sit down with an detective and give a report. He was really nice, and even gave us a tour of the station.

I just want to say I thank you for your service. I'm from NY originally. The wall on the inside of the precinct had their wall of honor, for the fallen of 911. What you guys did will never be forgotten.

Go Steelers!

NorthCoast
12-31-2008, 10:16 AM

Agree. I was thinking the very same thing when I read the headline. Elway made him the winner he was. His defenses have never been very good. He has been living on Elway's laurels for a long time.

ikestops85
12-31-2008, 10:42 AM

Agree. I was thinking the very same thing when I read the headline. Elway made him the winner he was. His defenses have never been very good. He has been living on Elway's laurels for a long time.

I disagree ... Elway never won anything before Shanahan arrived in Denver. The running game he installed there is second to none and that paired with Elway's ability is why they won Championships. I would love to hear Mike Shanahan announced as the next O-Coordinator of the Pittsburgh Steelers. :tt2 :tt2

Unfortunately that will never happen. :cry: He will definitely get another HC job.

ramblinjim
12-31-2008, 10:59 AM
I think Shannahan is a picture perfect example of why a coach should coach and a General Manager should find the talent. He's been absolutely terrible at having all the power in Denver. Denver's drafts have not worked out and neither have their FA acquisitions. I think Mike can coach and coach well but I don't think he needs to be the coach and the personnel guy.

NorthCoast
12-31-2008, 11:24 AM
I'll give you one possible reason. Look at their 8-8 season this year. Their losses have been, for the most part, blowouts. While their wins have been very close games. This team could easily have been 3-13. He knows how to put together an O, but I am not sure he knows the D as well. I could definitely see him in KC trying to stick it to his old boss.

NorthCoast
12-31-2008, 11:36 AM
BTW, get ready for a chorus from Clownsland on Shanahan to the Browns....ugh.

stlrz d
12-31-2008, 03:30 PM
I think Shannahan is a picture perfect example of why a coach should coach and a General Manager should find the talent. He's been absolutely terrible at having all the power in Denver. Denver's drafts have not worked out and neither have their FA acquisitions. I think Mike can coach and coach well but I don't think he needs to be the coach and the personnel guy.

Mark Schlereth discussed this once on ESPN. He said Shanny would do everything he could to get him to play regardless of how hurt Stink was or how recent a surgery. Then when it came to contract time he would devalue him for being hurt all the time and having to have all those surgeries.

How do you get a guy to run through a wall for you and then pay him less for getting hurt while doing it?

Here's another example: I'm in sales...my job is to be a friend to the customer and to make sales. I DO NOT make collection calls. That is a contradiction and a recipe for disaster.

NYPDSTEEL
12-31-2008, 06:21 PM

18 yrs
2 to go

Congrats, NYPD Steel! How'd you ever get into the Steelers, and not the Jets or Giants?

We were in NYC this Christmas, my wife got pickpocketed in Times Square, they got her cash and credit cards, and had started using the latter before we got a stop on them. So, because it wasn't just lost property, we got to sit down with an detective and give a report. He was really nice, and even gave us a tour of the station.

I just want to say I thank you for your service. I'm from NY originally. The wall on the inside of the precinct had their wall of honor, for the fallen of 911. What you guys did will never be forgotten.

Go Steelers!

Sorry for your bad experience in Times Square, Try to imagine when I was a rookie you would have considered yourself lucky to have escaped with just being pickpocketed. I was actually born in the Burgh and moved when I was young. Thanks for your thoughts regarding 911, lets hope we never have to go through that again.

Mel Blount's G
12-31-2008, 07:33 PM

I disagree ... Elway never won anything before Shanahan arrived in Denver. The running game he installed there is second to none and that paired with Elway's ability is why they won Championships. I would love to hear Mike Shanahan announced as the next O-Coordinator of the Pittsburgh Steelers. :tt2 :tt2

Unfortunately that will never happen. :cry: He will definitely get another HC job.
Gotta go w/ Ike on this. Elway does not win those sb's without that dominant running game. As dirty as they may have been, that 90's oline and the oline coach that put that together was a very good one. I hate ratahan but I consider him a top coach. I agree w/ whoever said he got complacent. This is how I viewed cowher the year after our SB victory. I think ratboy could defintely improve a team in need or on the cusp. I would not be opposed to having the ratfink as our OC