PDA

View Full Version : Steelers to play it safe with Ben....

Jooser
12-30-2008, 09:11 AM
From NFL.com, a little update on Ben. Of course we all figured he'd sit out this week to rest and heal. The thing that's disturbing is that in '06 he sustained a concussion against Atlanta and returned the following week and had one of the worst games of his career against Oakland. Let's hope that doesn't become a trend the week after next....

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d ... nfirm=true (http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80dc06a5&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true)

Roethlisberger not hospitalized overnight following concussion
NFL.com Wire Reports

Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger did not stay in a hospital overnight after suffering a concussion Sunday against the Cleveland Browns, but it was uncertain if he will practice this week.

Roethlisberger lay on the ground for nearly 15 minutes after being leveled by two Browns defenders and was strapped to a stretcher as he was carried off the field. He was taken by ambulance to a local hospital but left after tests were concluded.

Tom E. Puskar / Associated Press
Ben Roethlisberger reacts to the Hines Field crowd as he is carted off the field after his injury.

With a week off before they begin practicing for their Jan. 11 divisional playoff game, the Steelers will work out Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, then take the weekend off. The Steelers expect Roethlisberger to be ready for that game but probably won't rush him back to practice with so much time off before they play again.

Roethlisberger was 9-of-14 for 110 yards and an interception when he left the game late in the second quarter.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin confirmed during his postgame press conference that the initial tests on Roethlisberger were favorable.

"All tests are negative -- which is a positive," ( :lol: )Tomlin said. "We are optimistic of where he is going to be (in the playoffs). The bye is going to be helpful in regards to that."

When Roethlisberger sustained a concussion against Atlanta on Oct. 22, 2006, he returned a week later against Oakland but had one of the worst games of his career -- throwing four interceptions, with two returned for touchdowns -- during a 20-13 loss.

A week after that, Roethlisberger threw for 433 yards but was intercepted three more times during a 31-20 loss to Denver.

Roethlisberger has had at least three concussions in the last three years. He also received one during a June 2006 motorcycle accident. He was not wearing a helmet at the time.

MeetJoeGreene
12-30-2008, 09:27 AM
What concerns me is this: Isn't it true that if you start getting concussions, it is easier to get them in the future? If this is his 3rd (as the article states), how many more can he sustain before retiring?

We REALLY need to get him some protection (i.e. an O-Line, not condoms) AND he needs the CHANGE his style of play in the future.

RuthlessBurgher
12-30-2008, 10:22 AM
The '06 concussion vs. Atlanta was only a few short months after he played mountain goat with a Chrysler. Sustaining both injuries in such a short window of time likely had a cumulative effect. Since he has been concussion-free for more than 2 years now, I doubt that this one will have the same impact.

Chachi
12-30-2008, 10:30 AM
What concerns me is this: Isn't it true that if you start getting concussions, it is easier to get them in the future? If this is his 3rd (as the article states), how many more can he sustain before retiring?

We REALLY need to get him some protection (i.e. an O-Line, not condoms) AND he needs the CHANGE his style of play in the future.

Yes, not only easier, but more severe.

How many can he sustain? IIRC, Aikman had 10.

So, somewhere south of 10?

Jooser
12-30-2008, 10:34 AM
anyone know how many Hoge had before he had to retire?

sd steel
12-30-2008, 01:59 PM
I had about 5 occurring within a seven year range, from age 14 - 21, the last three occurred all within about a year of each other, then about ten years after I quit playing college ball, I strapped it up for a full contact alumni game. I was hit on the second or third play of the game, and earned my sixth. (I did score about the 10th or 12th play of the game, fullback dive for 7 yards, but sadly I don't remember it). :shock: :lol:

The older you get and the more you hits you take plays a large factor in my opinion, suffice to say my wife has not allowed me to put on the gear since. By the way, I was never knocked unconcious.

Iron Shiek
12-30-2008, 02:23 PM
I had about 5 occurring within a seven year range, from age 14 - 21, the last three occurred all within about a year of each other, then about ten years after I quit playing college ball, I strapped it up for a full contact alumni game. I was hit on the second or third play of the game, and earned my sixth. (I did score about the 10th or 12th play of the game, fullback dive for 7 yards, but sadly I don't remember it). :shock: :lol:

The older you get and the more you hits you take plays a large factor in my opinion, suffice to say my wife has not allowed me to put on the gear since. By the way, I was never knocked unconcious.

Shoot man...you sure you wouldn't be willing to strap it up and take Carey Davis' place? He is pretty much worthless...

stlrz d
12-30-2008, 03:19 PM
I've had 2. You can tell they have obviously had no ill effects on me.

:D

Djfan
12-30-2008, 03:22 PM

Is that why your avatar wears a helmet?

stlrz d
12-30-2008, 03:26 PM

Is that why your avatar wears a helmet?

Wait, what?

:lol:

Iron Shiek
12-30-2008, 03:29 PM
Goal Line Gary and Stlrz_d....helmut loving heroes....

Jooser
12-30-2008, 03:43 PM
I've had 4 myself, and I still can't read. :wft

sd steel
12-30-2008, 06:01 PM
[quote="sd steel":2id6bk54]I had about 5 occurring within a seven year range, from age 14 - 21, the last three occurred all within about a year of each other, then about ten years after I quit playing college ball, I strapped it up for a full contact alumni game. I was hit on the second or third play of the game, and earned my sixth. (I did score about the 10th or 12th play of the game, fullback dive for 7 yards, but sadly I don't remember it). :shock: :lol:

Shoot man...you sure you wouldn't be willing to strap it up and take Carey Davis' place? He is pretty much worthless...[/quote:2id6bk54]

As much as I would like to think I could, I've lost about 35 lbs since the last hit about 9 years ago. Hell, I get sore playing golf. And my wife would leave me for sure........

on the other hand, league minimum for a year or two as a single NFL football player probably wouldn't be that bad, and I can long snap too. :lol: