PDA

View Full Version : Cowher to the Jets?

stlrz d
12-29-2008, 10:52 PM
Just reported on ESPN that he is interested in speaking with them.

Jooser
12-29-2008, 11:38 PM
no

stlrz d
12-29-2008, 11:43 PM
no

Hey pal, I just report the news, I don't make it up. :lol:

mshifko
12-29-2008, 11:44 PM
they'd pony up and pay him big bucks too...plus he can be reunited with faneca...the jets have some talent, their franchise would be a better move than the fiasco by the lake...

RuthlessBurgher
12-29-2008, 11:45 PM
Cowher to Faneca: "I wish I knew how to quit you." :lol:

Jooser
12-29-2008, 11:46 PM
no

Listen Punk, I just comment on the so-called news. I don't pretend to know what the hell I'm talking about!!!! :moon

stlrz d
12-29-2008, 11:47 PM
no

Listen Punk, I just comment on the so-called news. I don't pretend to know what the hell I'm talking about!!!! :moon

Actually, you do! :P

SidSmythe
12-29-2008, 11:48 PM
Rumor has it that he isn't interested in coaching until 2010.

I doubt he'd go to the JETS w/out a franchise QB in place. Even if Favre returned, he'd only be around 1 yr. I doubt Cowher wants to coach w/out a franchise QB again. Just my speculation and i too am trying to sound like i know what im talkin' about. :moon

Jooser
12-29-2008, 11:50 PM
[quote=Jooser]no

Actually, you do! :P[/quote:1eduasgf]

So I'm a pretender, not a contender. What's your excuse? :wink:

stlrz d
12-29-2008, 11:51 PM
I've heard him say he doesn't want to coach in 2009 so that's why I was shocked to hear the report that he's interested in hearing the Jets' offer.

Jooser
12-29-2008, 11:53 PM
He's interested but I sure hope he stays out of HC-ing for a while. Piss on the Jets.

RuthlessBurgher
12-29-2008, 11:55 PM
He doesn't plan on coaching next year, but he will listen to the offers that are out there, just in case any of them absolutely blow him away (except for the Raiders and Browns, though...he won't consider either of them for any price. That's awesome).

NorCal-Steeler
12-30-2008, 12:11 AM
I dont think he cares about a franchise QB if he has a running game and o-line like the jets have.

Steeler Expat
12-30-2008, 01:48 AM
Cowher's place of employment is New York. Who here would pass up an invite to dine in a 5 star NYC restaurant to discuss a job you are not interested in? Hmm, lunch break time, Wendy's dollar menu or $200 Surf 'n Turf with a side order of "Thanks, but no thanks!"

Mel Blount's G
12-30-2008, 02:14 AM
He won't coach this year as yinz are saying here. He'll do his pre-game show spot, play the feel things out and emerge in 2010.

The jets would be fine by me. As long as it isn't a division team or the 'girls or the pats***

Btw, I wish that panel would have more fun w/ BC....pull out some spitting or kissing tapes or something. He's just begging for it imo. Or maybe a one on one interview w/ belicheat (as if he'd do it) or some other coaches. He really doesn't seem to contribute much to those pre-game/halftime schpiels....though I admit I don't watch or tape all those religiously or anything.

Chadman
12-30-2008, 02:16 AM
Chadman's tip....

Watch what happens in KC. If Edwards goes....that's a job Cowher might have an emtional interest in.

AngryAsian
12-30-2008, 02:20 AM
He won't coach this year as yinz are saying here. He'll do his pre-game show spot, play the feel things out and emerge in 2010.

The jets would be fine by me. As long as it isn't a division team or the 'girls or the pats***

Btw, I wish that panel would have more fun w/ BC....pull out some spitting or kissing tapes or something. He's just begging for it imo. Or maybe a one on one interview w/ belicheat (as if he'd do it) or some other coaches. He really doesn't seem to contribute much to those pre-game/halftime schpiels....though I admit I don't watch or tape all those religiously or anything.

I don't think the Boys on the panel would have enough guts to pizz off Cowher. Last weekend when Boomer was going on about how good the Steelers look, he was digging into Cowher about how well they're being coached... implying that the Steelers didn't miss a beat when Cowher left. Cowher had a couple of frowns glared Boomer's way. Something tells me Billy doesn't like being embarrassed on national TV.

frankthetank1
12-30-2008, 08:59 AM
its funny but i would respect cowher more if he coached the browns. at least he played there and if he made them a winner (which no one has done before) he would get all the praise in the world

Iron Shiek
12-30-2008, 10:33 AM
:lol: Hey Mods can we get a sticky for Cowher coaching rumors? Be prepared for it to be stuck at the top of the board til 2010 though.

:lol: I'm kidding by the way...about the sticky part...

RuthlessBurgher
12-30-2008, 10:35 AM
:lol: Hey Mods can we get a sticky for Cowher coaching rumors? Be prepared for it to be stuck at the top of the board til 2010 though.

:lol: I'm kidding by the way...about the sticky part...

Doesn't the inevitable Cowher spittle make these threads sticky enough already? :P

anjang86
12-30-2008, 11:03 AM
The Mangini firing made me very suspicious of this Cowher possibility. I wouldn't be surprised if he did actually go to the Jets and the ownership there knew he would all along. The Jets are a much more attractive option than the Lions, Browns, or Raiders.

Iron Shiek
12-30-2008, 11:06 AM
The Mangini firing made me very suspicious of this Cowher possibility. I wouldn't be surprised if he did actually go to the Jets and the ownership there knew he would all along. The Jets are a much more attractive option than the Lions, Browns, or Raiders.

Well the Jets want to make a splash hiring as well because of the new stadium. They need to keep the seats full...hiring some no name 1st year guy is proabably not in their interests. So I think they throw $10 million at Cowher and hope it sticks. I think $10 million would perk his ears up...

Problem is...Mike Tannenbaum is the GM there and is staying on per the owner. Cowher is going to want total control, so while Tannenbaum is helping make the hiring decision, I doubt he would support hiring a guy that would ultimately end up in giving himself less responsibility.

NorCal-Steeler
12-30-2008, 11:56 AM
I think Cowher may have some ghosts with the Pats he may want to chase. I'd be all for him keeping the Pats down and when we have to face him in the playoffs he is predictable run,run and pass on 3rd. I'm happy with the coach we have and wish Cowher the best of luck untill we face him.

Iron Shiek
12-30-2008, 12:01 PM
See told you. Sirius NFL Radio just reported that Cowher has declined to interview for the Jets job. This will continue with every coaching vacancy and he will end up in CBS studio in 2009.

EDIT: Per John Clayton, ESPN, report...Cowher is interested in Jets job but wants to bring in his own Personnel Director...but owner Woody Johnson maintains that Mike Tannenbaum is staying on in that capacity.

steelblood
12-30-2008, 12:38 PM
A talented team with no QB. He has plenty of experience with that.

Iron Shiek
12-30-2008, 12:49 PM
Sorry to keep replying...I keep finding updates...this one fairly relevant to the Steelers. Not sure how much this is speculation though...see the bolded part:

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/12/30/report-tannenbaums-presence-causes-cowher-to-pass-on-jets/

REPORT: TANNENBAUM’S PRESENCE CAUSES COWHER TO PASS ON JETS
Posted by Mike Florio on December 30, 2008, 11:01 a.m. EST
Bill Cowher’s flirtation with the Jets apparently didn’t last too long.

According to ESPN’s John Clayton, Cowher was interested. He even had some preliminary discussions with the Jets regarding their head-coaching vacancy.

But the discussions, per Clayton, fell apart because ”there wasn’t a front-office configuration that interests him.”

In other words, the decision of owner Woody Johnson to fire only coach Eric Mangini and not G.M. Mike Tannenbaum has prevented the Jets from landing Cowher.

Cowher would have wanted final say over the roster. And Cowher would have wanted to bring Kevin Colbert and/or Omar Khan from the Steelers to run the personnel side of the business.
But Tannenbaum wasn’t going anywhere, so Cowher isn’t coming to town.

And that’s precisely the way Jets fans need to view this one. Johnson chose Tannenbaum over Cowher.

Johnson chose Tannenbaum, a lawyer who cozied up to Bill Parcells and became a salary-cap wizard and scratched the right backs and kissed the right asses and climbed over guys like Terry Bradway until Tannenbaum occupied a position where he could squander millions on overhyped veterans and suffer no consequences when they failed to succeed.

Johnson chose Tannenbaum over Cowher, a 15-year head coach who followed a living legend in Pittsburgh, led the Steelers to six AFC title game appearances, two Super Bowl berths, and won the same number of Lombardi Trophies that the Jets have claimed in the entire history of the franchise.

Who would you choose? Tannenbaum or Cowher?

Meanwhile, we’re amazed by the fact that the New York media has yet to focus on Tannenbaum’s responsibility for the current status of the team.

Tannenbaum signed Calvin Pace. Tannenbaum signed Damien Woody. Tannenbaum drafted Vernon Gholston. Tannenbaum traded for Brett Favre. Tannenbaum traded away John Abraham.

Johnson could have traded Tannenbaum for Cowher.

And didn’t.

Jets fans should be enraged.

Starlifter
12-30-2008, 04:09 PM
a couple of observations.

cowher would love a franchise quarterback - but it never stopped him before.

the biggest pay day out there is not NY or KC, it's DALLAS..........(I don't care JJ says - he's thinking about it...)

True Fan
12-30-2008, 04:22 PM
cowher would be foolish to coach in the afc, too many talented teams. he needs to go to the pathetic nfc where he would have a chance to win. i of cours would welcome him to the afc, especially if he would eventaully be hosting the afc championship game against us:wink:

RKSteel
12-30-2008, 04:30 PM
This just in. Cowher still interested.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/28435021/

Iron Shiek
12-30-2008, 04:42 PM
This just in. Cowher still interested.

Yeah basically Jets Owner did a 180 with his "GM" Tannenbaum and is willing to shuffle duties to lure Cowher. I'd rather he wait a year so he doesn't pilfer any of our coaches/front office guys. While alot of people hate colbert, I wouldn't want to see him go...

RKSteel
12-31-2008, 09:15 AM
Cowher comes to his senses.

Cowher out of running for Jets opening
updated 4:34 p.m. ET, Tues., Dec. 30, 2008

NEW YORK - Bill Cowher is out of the running for the New York Jets’ vacant coaching job.

The team planned to sit down soon with the former Super Bowl-winning coach, and Cowher had expressed interest in the job, a person familiar with the search said earlier Tuesday. But the negotiations never advanced to scheduling a formal meeting.

“After reaching out to Coach Cowher’s representatives, we were informed tonight that he is not a candidate for the position,” Jets spokesman Bruce Speight said Tuesday night.

Material items such as structure, money and length of contract were never discussed, according to a person familiar with the conversations who requested anonymity because the individual was not authorized to discuss the search.

The Jets, who fired Eric Mangini on Monday, will now turn their attention to other candidates. The lengthy list includes New York Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo, who’ll meet with the team Saturday, according to another person familiar with the coaching search.

New York is also expected to interview a pair of in-house candidates: offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer and offensive line coach Bill Callahan, who also served as assistant head coach under Mangini. Mike Shanahan, fired by Denver on Tuesday night, could also be a potential candidate.

Marty Schottenheimer, Mike Holmgren, Jim Fassel and Bill Parcells, names mentioned in various reports, aren’t believed to be on the Jets’ immediate radar.

Jets owner Woody Johnson made it clear that he prefers to keep football, business and coaching duties separate, so a candidate wanting complete control would be less likely to be hired. Any coach the Jets hire would have to fit into that structure.

Cowher, believed to have been the Jets’ top candidate, had not given the Jets the impression he must have total control of personnel, according to the person familiar with the search. Still, Cowher took his name out of the running without a formal sit-down.

Cowher has worked as a studio analyst for CBS since resigning as the Pittsburgh Steelers coach after the 2006 season. He was also a candidate for the vacant Cleveland job, but told owner Randy Lerner that he has no intention of returning to coaching in 2009 and, as with the Jets, asked to be taken off the list of possible candidates.

The 51-year-old Cowher was 161-99-1 in 15 seasons with the Steelers, including a Super Bowl victory in 2006.

Spagnuolo has become a popular candidate given the Giants’ success on defense the last two seasons under him. The 49-year-old defensive coordinator has been mentioned in connection with the vacant Detroit and Cleveland jobs, as well as the Jets.

He was hired by the Giants in January 2007 after working eight years under Jim Johnson with the Philadelphia Eagles’ defense. Spagnuolo was considered for the Washington Redskins job after the Giants upset the New England Patriots in the Super Bowl last season, but he chose to remain with New York.

NorthCoast
12-31-2008, 09:51 AM
No worries about where he goes. He started with a semi-talented team and it still took him 14 yrs to win a championship. Do you really believe any other owner will be as patient as the Rooneys?

RKSteel
12-31-2008, 10:21 AM
No worries about where he goes. He started with a semi-talented team and it still took him 14 yrs to win a championship. Do you really believe any other owner will be as patient as the Rooneys?
Probably not. Its like word association, Cowher=Steelers. I just can't see him coaching another team. But I'm sure he'd have about 10 million reasons to coach another team.

RuthlessBurgher
12-31-2008, 11:18 AM
Probably not. Its like word association, Cowher=Steelers. I just can't see him coaching another team. But I'm sure he'd have about 10 million reasons to coach another team.

And Terrell Owens has 25 million reasons why he should be alive.

Iron Shiek
12-31-2008, 11:28 AM

And Terrell Owens has 25 million reasons why he should be alive.

:lol: :lol: What a bafoon! Would the Cowboys have to keep him on the salary cap if he had off'd himself that day...?