PDA

View Full Version : Do Ben and Lefty get along?

feltdizz
12-29-2008, 03:37 PM
OK... let me start by saying I love Big Ben... HOWEVER!!!!

did anyone else feel like it wasn't that serious and Ben was just giving the papers something to write about for the bye week? I'm not being shallow I just think dude is a little dramatic.

It's bad cause a few minutes later we were all like "well we do sound a little crass, what if it is serious?" then ten minutes later my cousin text that it's a mild concussion...

another Steeler fan says the season is over.. this is five minutes after saying Ben is a fat headed slob SOB cause of the INT... you know.. the typical Steeler fan. We bash Ben and curse him yet as soon as a fan of another team says the same thing them is fighting words.

Now onto what happened when Lefty came in.. is it me or does this offense get a little pep when he is in there? I know.. the back up is always the hero... but hell, I know what I'm seeing isn't luck.. Lefty has a clock that ticks a little faster then Ben.

How can we look so drab against the Clowns then explode as soon as Ben leaves the field?
Maybe.. just maybe.. we are asking Ben to do too much since he is the $100 mill guy now.. he never read D's or called protection and now we ask him to do more then what he did when he was successful.

It reminds me of the coaches who left the Pats* to take HC jobs.. all these guys were great as assistants but once given total control most of them crashed and burned.
Not saying Ben is crash and burn but like FWP... he goes from a threat as a dual back with a FB to an average injury riddled guy as a single back with 350 touches.

I love Ben to death but this O is much more productive with Lefty as the QB... surely Lefty wouldn't be as productive if teams gameplan for him... but I do wonder if Lefty coming in and just running the plays without the added responsibilities is also part of the reason.

Maybe Lefty does have the same amount of duties but I doubt it... and as far as the thread title it was from a rumor I heard.. but I could see it being true since Lefty wants to start and isn't content as a backup like Batch...

Maybe I like drama too.. but when Ben went down.. the first thing I thought was.. Ben wants to make sure we don't drool over Lefty cause he is about to come in and light it up...

Iron Shiek
12-29-2008, 03:45 PM
I don't know what happened to my post but it was long and I'm not re-writing it.

Basically I said that teams don't gameplan for the backup and get caught off guard when the backup comes in. Different tendencies and what not, it is a bigger difference than you think from the defense's eyes.

And Lefty always has stated that this is Ben's team and that he isn't looking to take over. However I could see him using these opportunities as a bridge to get to start for a new club.

Iron Shiek
12-29-2008, 03:46 PM
double post

mshifko
12-29-2008, 03:46 PM
it seems like ben and lefty get along very well...you can tell how when ben comes over to the sideline leftwich and charlie are always talking to him, asking him what he saw out there, and putting their own input in as well...

i think that leftwich has a stronger arm than ben and he does get rid of the ball quicker at times, but that's the extent of it...if you think ben is running for his life sometimes, imagine what lefty will look like if teams pull a philadelphia against us...leftwich is a hell of a backup, probably the best in the league hands down...he's going to be a starter somewhere next year if he leaves pittsburgh...but i think that this whole thing is a little overblown...i know you love drama felt, you say you like ben, but the title of this post is a bit ridiculous...

overall, i'm glad we have leftwich as our backup...if for some reason ben cannot go we can win with leftwich, but ben is the guy for this team...he's our franchise QB for numerous reasons and we need a healthy ben to reach a super bowl IMHO...

Steeler Shades
12-29-2008, 03:53 PM
Maybe this is what you are seeing when Ben is in the game as opposed to Lefty. 8)

excerpt from:
Steelers’ defense puts Big Ben in position to win
By Greg Cosell - SportingNews

".....The beneficiary of this dominant defense is Ben Roethlisberger, one of the most frustrating quarterbacks to evaluate on film. His inconsistency drives me crazy, particularly since his physical gifts are so special. He’s a power thrower with a strong arm who can expand the field vertically, but he can also deliver with touch in the shorter-to-intermediate areas.

I really struggle with Roethlisberger’s maddening tendency to play sandlot football. After five years in the NFL, he still is not comfortable in the pocket. When the coverage dictates the throw before the snap, Roethlisberger can look very good, delivering with rhythm, timing and accuracy. When the throw is not evident right away, his predisposition is to rely purely on instincts, not a refined sense of reading progressions.

And that leads to a problem I see with Roethlisberger when I study him. He struggles with blitz recognition before the snap. Every blitz, no matter how well disguised, has a pre-snap indicator, and Roethlisberger too often fails to identify those keys.

As a result, Roethlisberger does not handle pressure well, both mentally and physically. He doesn’t recognize it; therefore, he doesn’t react to it with controlled, decisive responses. He’s apt to be a little frantic and hyperactive. He’s reactive rather than proactive, and that just reinforces his sandlot tendencies.....

.....Yet, when I analyze Roethlisberger’s overall body of work, I do not see a patient pocket quarterback. He often moves when he does not need to, when he’s not being pressured. He has a very quick clock in his head, with a penchant for hurrying himself and playing a little fast and undisciplined."

Iron Shiek
12-29-2008, 03:59 PM
Maybe this is what you are seeing when Ben is in the game as opposed to Lefty. 8)

excerpt from:

".....The beneficiary of this dominant defense is Ben Roethlisberger, one of the most frustrating quarterbacks to evaluate on film. His inconsistency drives me crazy, particularly since his physical gifts are so special. He’s a power thrower with a strong arm who can expand the field vertically, but he can also deliver with touch in the shorter-to-intermediate areas.

I really struggle with Roethlisberger’s maddening tendency to play sandlot football. After five years in the NFL, he still is not comfortable in the pocket. When the coverage dictates the throw before the snap, Roethlisberger can look very good, delivering with rhythm, timing and accuracy. When the throw is not evident right away, his predisposition is to rely purely on instincts, not a refined sense of reading progressions.

And that leads to a problem I see with Roethlisberger when I study him. He struggles with blitz recognition before the snap. Every blitz, no matter how well disguised, has a pre-snap indicator, and Roethlisberger too often fails to identify those keys.

As a result, Roethlisberger does not handle pressure well, both mentally and physically. He doesn’t recognize it; therefore, he doesn’t react to it with controlled, decisive responses. He’s apt to be a little frantic and hyperactive. He’s reactive rather than proactive, and that just reinforces his sandlot tendencies.....

.....Yet, when I analyze Roethlisberger’s overall body of work, I do not see a patient pocket quarterback. He often moves when he does not need to, when he’s not being pressured. He has a very quick clock in his head, with a penchant for hurrying himself and playing a little fast and undisciplined."

That is about as accurate assessment of Ben as I've ever seen. Those are all the things he needs to work on. You can tell when the pocket is collapsing he starts getting happy feet and looks like he is semi-panicking. That is when he starts scrambling around crazily and usually somewhat successfully, using his talent. And this is why all of us argue about him so much. In any case, I am behind him 100%, I'd just like to see him be calmer and rely on his throwing ability and read defenses a bit better.

Edit: and obviously a better line would assist him in that... :Beer

Steeler Shades
12-29-2008, 04:04 PM
That is about as accurate assessment of Ben as I've ever seen. Those are all the things he needs to work on. You can tell when the pocket is collapsing he starts getting happy feet and looks like he is semi-panicking. That is when he starts scrambling around crazily and usually somewhat successfully, using his talent. And this is why all of us argue about him so much. In any case, I am behind him 100%, I'd just like to see him be calmer and rely on his throwing ability and read defenses a bit better.

If you are interested in the entire article there is a former thread on it here:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3923 (http://planetsteelers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3923)
8)

feltdizz
12-29-2008, 04:04 PM
exactly shades... that is spot on.. I love Ben but damn he frustrates the tihs out of me...

I know that teams would game plan for Lefty but let's be honest... Lefty used to kill us when he was a Jag and we game planned for him.

I really and truly believe that our O is built on timing and Ben's sandlot style works at times but it can also make an O look really yukkie at times and it also makes for more holding calls IMO.

Once again... I want Ben as my leader.. but I really think the timing of our plays and the late play call changes that have us snapping at 1 or zero... are part of the reason our O can look unattractive at times.

Can anyone honestly say Ben looked good/polished against a Clowns team with nothing to play for?

feltdizz
12-29-2008, 04:10 PM
[quote="Steeler Shades":1srym2bt]Maybe this is what you are seeing when Ben is in the game as opposed to Lefty. 8)

excerpt from:

Edit: and obviously a better line would assist him in that... :Beer[/quote:1srym2bt]

a better line would but as I have stated in other debates on Ben.. his sack total in 2004 was high as well with a good OL and a good running attack.

Ben will always take sacks cause it is his style of play... see the DB that blitzed him on Sunday.. Ben didn't throw it he tried to strong arm the DB... most times it works but lately DB's are blitzing knowing the arm tackle won't cut it and they are wrapping him up and twisting.

I'm behind Ben 100% as well but hell.....Lefty throws to Moore much faster the Ben does.. and we see what the results are. I really hope Ben plays within himself this time around in the post season... we won't be beat if he does.

Flasteel
12-29-2008, 04:19 PM
I've noticed a great deal of respect from Lefty towards Ben and I don't think he'd be saying those things if they weren't tight. They're both from the MAC and I think they kind of have a small fraternity with Pennington, Batch, and some of the other MAC QB's in the league.

I did notice an immediate emphasis on the run as soon as we switched QBs and even commented on it to by buddy I was watching the game with. Maybe that had something to do with the effectiveness of our offense as well.

frankthetank1
12-29-2008, 04:22 PM
[quote="Steeler Shades":3j62iy21]Maybe this is what you are seeing when Ben is in the game as opposed to Lefty. 8)

excerpt from:

a better line would but as I have stated in other debates on Ben.. his sack total in 2004 was high as well with a good OL and a good running attack.

Ben will always take sacks cause it is his style of play... see the DB that blitzed him on Sunday.. Ben didn't throw it he tried to strong arm the DB... most times it works but lately DB's are blitzing knowing the arm tackle won't cut it and they are wrapping him up and twisting.

I'm behind Ben 100% as well but hell.....Lefty throws to Moore much faster the Ben does.. and we see what the results are. I really hope Ben plays within himself this time around in the post season... we won't be beat if he does.[/quote:3j62iy21]

i like leftwich a lot especially as a back up but he throws the ball way too hard. there were a couple drops yesterday that you could tell were from a ball being thrown a lot harder then it needed to be. i agree that leftwich gets rid of the ball quicker (even with a huge wind up) but some of that may due to ben taking almost 50 sacks in one season. the more a qb gets hit it defenitely takes its toll

feltdizz
12-29-2008, 04:28 PM
I've noticed a great deal of respect from Lefty towards Ben and I don't think he'd be saying those things if they weren't tight. They're both from the MAC and I think they kind of have a small fraternity with Pennington, Batch, and some of the other MAC QB's in the league.

I did notice an immediate emphasis on the run as soon as we switched QBs and even commented on it to by buddy I was watching the game with. Maybe that had something to do with the effectiveness of our offense as well.

I think I carried the rumor over from another board so it could just be rumor... the MAC frat makes sense though...

We ran the same amount as we did with Ben in there.. we just used a lead blocker in the second half(don't ask me why we waited)

Do you think the passing game was clicking with Ben in the first half though? The INT pass was terrible and really left me with an uh oh feeling about the playoffs...

I just think our passing game suffers with the sandlot style... sure it works at times but I don't want another 4th quarter miracle in the playoffs.. those rarely work when it's one and done.

frankthetank1
12-29-2008, 04:30 PM

I think I carried the rumor over from another board so it could just be rumor... the MAC frat makes sense though...

We ran the same amount as we did with Ben in there.. we just used a lead blocker in the second half(don't ask me why we waited)

Do you think the passing game was clicking with Ben in the first half though? The INT pass was terrible and really left me with an uh oh feeling about the playoffs...

I just think our passing game suffers with the sandlot style... sure it works at times but I don't want another 4th quarter miracle in the playoffs.. those rarely work when it's one and done.

that int was awful but i think without a guy right in ben's face its a completion. miller was open so its not like it was an awful decision. if colon didnt get called for holding on nate's td then ben's numbers look a lot better. i thought just about all of his throws were right on the money except for the int of course

feltdizz
12-29-2008, 04:33 PM
i like leftwich a lot especially as a back up but he throws the ball way too hard. there were a couple drops yesterday that you could tell were from a ball being thrown a lot harder then it needed to be. i agree that leftwich gets rid of the ball quicker (even with a huge wind up) but some of that may due to ben taking almost 50 sacks in one season. the more a qb gets hit it defenitely takes its toll

he has zero touch.. but I also think DB's won't catch those either...

as far as the sacks.. Ben will always take a high number regardless of protection.. he will never be a 15 sacks in a season type QB.. most QB's hate contact.. Ben loves it though.. invites it. Sure he could be at 25 or 30 but he will never be under 20.

I truly believe Ben is just as responsible for this O looking the way it does as BA and the OL. We win ugly.... and even when the D gives us short fields.. it's still a grind to get points. Ben is good for a drive or 2 but I think we are asking him to do too much before he snaps the ball.

Just sayin.. I think less responsibility would have Ben performing better.

feltdizz
12-29-2008, 04:35 PM

that int was awful but i think without a guy right in ben's face its a completion. miller was open so its not like it was an awful decision. if colon didnt get called for holding on nate's td then ben's numbers look a lot better. i thought just about all of his throws were right on the money except for the int of course

I'm nit picking.. but I just feel like against the Clowns I would have felt much better with points on the board before the 3 minute mark in the 2nd. My "swagger" is down just a little...

but the playoff seeding has me feeling a little better

frankthetank1
12-29-2008, 04:37 PM

he has zero touch.. but I also think DB's won't catch those either...

as far as the sacks.. Ben will always take a high number regardless of protection.. he will never be a 15 sacks in a season type QB.. most QB's hate contact.. Ben loves it though.. invites it. Sure he could be at 25 or 30 but he will never be under 20.

I truly believe Ben is just as responsible for this O looking the way it does as BA and the OL. We win ugly.... and even when the D gives us short fields.. it's still a grind to get points. Ben is good for a drive or 2 but I think we are asking him to do too much before he snaps the ball.

Just sayin.. I think less responsibility would have Ben performing better.

thats a good point db's wont catch the same throws from lefty that are 100 mph or faster. ben is still pretty young so its very possible that he is doing to much. he takes more sacks than most qb's but in his first couple of years he wasnt getting hit nearly as much as he has the last couple of seasons. ben has had his part in the poor offensive play but i think with a good running game and a good ol he wouldn't have as many problems as he has had this season. who knows though the way he played last year you dont know what to think. the running game wasnt great last year and the ol was worse and ben had his best year ever

feltdizz
12-29-2008, 05:00 PM
teams will continue to blitz Ben hard until he throw it to Miller and Moore at a much higher rate.

Until Ben stops taking the amount of sacks he does "when he does have protection and the WR's are covered it will be more of the same.

The OL is suspect.. and so is the run... but even if those 2 improve... until Ben improves on the check downs... the "Ben holds the ball, we feel like we can get a few sack" will continue to dominate the film room of opponents.

Way too many teams.. teams we beat with Ben making the spectacular play...keep repeating the same line.. "I don't know how he does it or how long he can continue to do it..."

It's a double edged sword we have to live with.

Flasteel
12-29-2008, 05:13 PM

That's a good point about the fullback Dizz, but we did run 46% of the time with Ben and 72% with Byron. Granted some of that is attributed to grinding out the game, but we made a very concerted effort to establish the run coming out of the half (5 out of first 6 plays).

I think when you consider the ineffectiveness of the running game early on, we moved the ball pretty good with the passing game. Yeah the pick was horrible but he made some other nice throws behind decent protection. When the play-action becomes part of your passing game, things open up and the rush slows down and I don't think Ben ever enjoyed that yesterday. Let's get that running game going (with a FB) and I think we'll see a much more effective passing game with Ben at the controls.

Jooser
12-29-2008, 07:55 PM
I live less than 15 minutes from Marshall University where Lefty played his college ball (and Pennington of course). So, naturally, I followed Lefty a lot during his Herd days. I will say that his arm strength has created problems in the past and that's sometimes a knock on him. I read in the paper once that one Herd WR said that the hardest hit he took all year was a Byron Leftwich pass. :D But, he throws a pretty ball and gets it there quick, usually ahead of defenders. Also, he can throw a beautiful long ball as well. He's got a lot of heart and is a warrior (like Ben) who won many thrilling games for the Herd. I will never forget the game when he was injured and his OL were carrying him down field after every play. He led them to a come back win that was awesome. I think it'll be tough to keep him next season because I think some team will pick him up and offer him a chance at a starting job. That's my :2c minus 0.18$ LOL.

http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/6523/topplays100ea9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Steel Life
12-29-2008, 08:24 PM
To the title of the thread - Who cares if they get along? They need to be professional, do their job & work towards a common goal...winning a championship. As for all the drama suggested by the original post...are you kidding me? Do you really think that Ben would go to all that trouble to stick it to a guy here on a 1 year contract after he signed the richest contract in team history?

As for the comparisons of the two...appreciate what we have, Ben didn't get his lofty stats & games won record by accident, he's more talented than people give him credit for - who cares if it's ugly? He makes plays...he wins - despite a sieve for a line, a suspect running game & an Martz-like OC who constantly puts him at risk.

Besides, what team game-plans for Lefty? He's is no ordinary back-up - he's both talented & experienced enough to have certain plays called that maximize his chances to win games rather than "turtling". Sure he's got a gun & personally I love him as our back-up & feel we can win playoff games with him, but I don't want to exchange him for Ben long-term. Because for all your criticism of Ben, don't forget that BL was cut because of his inability to read defenses, stay healthy & lead his team. Instead let's look at it as BL being the fire-balling reliever to Ben's starting pitcher, rather than the savior to Ben's ball & chain some seem to be alluding to.

stlrz d
12-29-2008, 08:48 PM
I heard they don't room together on the road because one would kill the other in his sleep if given the opportunity.

NorthCoast
12-29-2008, 10:56 PM
After reading this analysis, it really seems to fit Ben to a T. The pump fakes could be Ben's indecisiveness with his reads. The snaps at 1 or 0 sec could be Ben taking that long to read the pre-snap defense. You know, it might be that Ben is not the brightest bulb on the tree but can get away with alot more due to his physical talents. I don't really care about all that if, at the end of the day, he gets the win.

What is strange is that he seems to do well in the 2 min drill, so something changes, either in his mental state or the play calling, during this time. Maybe he has less time to second guess himself in those situations..?

blacknblue80s
12-29-2008, 11:16 PM
Lets pray Lefty doesn't have to start an entire game against a team with a decent pass rush. Thats all I'm going to say. :tt1

RuthlessBurgher
12-29-2008, 11:34 PM
Lets pray Lefty doesn't have to start an entire game against a team with a decent pass rush. Thats all I'm going to say. :tt1

Yeah, Leftwich's cement feet make Drew Bledsoe look like Michael Vick. I was utterly shocked when he scrambled for a TD.

Jooser
12-29-2008, 11:38 PM
Yeah, well, he did scramble for one though, didn't he? I also saw him duck some oncoming pass rushers rather nicely and complete some passes.

stlrz d
12-29-2008, 11:42 PM
I heard Ben ground up glass, put it in some hamburger, cooked it up and tried to feed it to Lefty...but Snack got to it first. There were no side effects.

Jooser
12-29-2008, 11:49 PM
Well I understand Ben's envy, I once knew a nurse in Huntington , WV who took care of Byron's hurt body, and to quote her: "OMG, 9 inches of limp #*^%!"

:shock:

blacknblue80s
12-30-2008, 12:06 AM
Yeah, well, he did scramble for one though, didn't he? I also saw him duck some oncoming pass rushers rather nicely and complete some passes.

Against the Browns' fierce pass rush?? :o

Steeler Shades
12-30-2008, 12:17 AM
Yeah, well, he did scramble for one though, didn't he? I also saw him duck some oncoming pass rushers rather nicely and complete some passes.Against the Browns' fierce pass rush?? :o
Yep, the same one that picked off Ben and knocked him out of the game. 8)

blacknblue80s
12-30-2008, 12:39 AM
Yeah, well, he did scramble for one though, didn't he? I also saw him duck some oncoming pass rushers rather nicely and complete some passes.Against the Browns' fierce pass rush?? :o

Amazing how running the ball can take some of the pressure off of the qb. 8)

Jooser
12-30-2008, 12:46 AM

:Agree Yep, that one indeed! :owned

blacknblue80s
12-30-2008, 12:53 AM

:Agree Yep, that one indeed! :owned

See my previous post.

I actually like Lefty, he just won't survive long behind this o-line IMO. It's not his fault.

stlrz d
12-30-2008, 08:46 AM
Ben had a plan put together...Colonel Mustard was supposed to off Lefty in the study with the candlestick. Willie Colon was supposed to put the plan in action but a false start by #74 caused the plan to be aborted.