PDA

View Full Version : FWP + FB = Superbowl?

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-29-2008, 01:50 PM
With the caveat that I missed yesterday's game (had to work :twisted: ) , I've read here that FWP had a FB blocking for him for the latter portions of the game >>> lots of yards.

I know it was just the Clowns, but ... I wonder if BA, none too soon, has seen the light?

Oh man, I can only hope so ... cannot WAIT for our playoffs to start!

RKSteel
12-29-2008, 01:56 PM
Its just for game tape. Make the opposing team think run, come out passing. Its the classic gameplan, if they expect X then do Y. :D

BDESteel
12-29-2008, 02:02 PM
If I remember correctly Willie got his TD as a single back. IMO Carey Davis is the NFL's equivelant to Stephon Marbury.

MeetJoeGreene
12-29-2008, 02:05 PM
Hold on. Take it easy.

I try to not get too excited about a 1 game occurance -- either good or bad.

Perhaps something "clicked" - both a synapse in Arians pea-sized brain and the execution of our offense and Parker's confidence. But one game does not a trend make.

BDESteel
12-29-2008, 02:06 PM
Hold on. Take it easy.

I try to not get too excited about a 1 game occurance -- either good or bad.

Perhaps something "clicked" - both a synapse in Arians pea-sized brain and the execution of our offense and Parker's confidence. But one game does not a trend make.
I agree but it sure feels good to know we can play at a high level albeit the Brownies.

SteelerNation1
12-29-2008, 02:18 PM
Willie ran well yesterday because the Browns suck! Bunch of quitters. We arre going to have to throw the ball 35+ times to win in the playoffs I think

RuthlessBurgher
12-29-2008, 02:19 PM
If I remember correctly Willie got his TD as a single back. IMO Carey Davis is the NFL's equivelant to Stephon Marbury.

McHugh was used as the blocking FB, not Davis.

Iron Shiek
12-29-2008, 02:38 PM
I like that formula...but it won't stick around.

I read somewhere that Arians purposely put a gameplan in with less spread formations and more FB sets and tried to get the running game going. It made Willie happy. And with the success, hopefully it can be worked in. But they are never going to be able to get the running game going without committing to it. And I don't think Arians (or Ben) want to go that route. Passing attack will continue.

BDESteel
12-29-2008, 03:14 PM

My bad, I just assumed it was Davis.

They should inactivate him and activate Dixon.

ramblinjim
12-29-2008, 03:33 PM

Ruthless, you have some good football knowledge, see all the games, study some film, this McHugh guy, is he someone we can use in the following years? I seem to recall hearing some good stuff about him on the board here.

skyhawk
12-29-2008, 03:45 PM
Frickin finally! The FB ws back in there. Amazing that it helped.

Sure though, it was the Browns after all, but it works!

And Ben can still pass out of the I formation.

And yes, McHugh has been used as the FB for last half of the season.

skyhawk
12-29-2008, 03:46 PM
The steelers will NOT have a passing attack by only using 5 OL in to block. That is total suicide when they go to 5 wide. Not in the playoffs when teams can bring the HEAT by only rushing 3-4 players against our poor (est) line.

mshifko
12-29-2008, 03:48 PM
the fullback helped, but this team still is going to struggle running the football...our offensive line just cannot move teams off of the ball unless something major sparks our front 5 in the playoffs...

FWP doesn't have a chance half the time, you saw what he did with a little seam...he's still got that quickness we all fell in love with

skyhawk
12-29-2008, 03:51 PM
the fullback helped, but this team still is going to struggle running the football...our offensive line just cannot move teams off of the ball unless something major sparks our front 5 in the playoffs...

FWP doesn't have a chance half the time, you saw what he did with a little seam...he's still got that quickness we all fell in love with

That's the thing, he needs a pretty BIG seam to break one long. I don't think he sees the field well. Moore does a much better job seeing the field and blocking trends.

Iron Shiek
12-29-2008, 03:52 PM

Oh man does he! At least two runs ( the TD being one) where he just turned on the jets, I miss that. Gosh he blew past the corner on those defenders...money!

As for McHugh, he sucks and shouldn't be given serious consideration as nothing more than a 3rd TE, definitely not the prime blocking option. We need a freakin' mauler like Lorenzo Neal was...or board favorite Owen Schmitt.

skyhawk
12-29-2008, 04:11 PM

Oh man does he! At least two runs ( the TD being one) where he just turned on the jets, I miss that. Gosh he blew past the corner on those defenders...money!

As for McHugh, he sucks and shouldn't be given serious consideration as nothing more than a 3rd TE, definitely not the prime blocking option. We need a freakin' mauler like Lorenzo Neal was...or board favorite Owen Schmitt.

I would take back a healthy Dan Kreider or even Tim Lester.

RuthlessBurgher
12-29-2008, 04:12 PM

Ruthless, you have some good football knowledge, see all the games, study some film, this McHugh guy, is he someone we can use in the following years? I seem to recall hearing some good stuff about him on the board here.

McHugh is nothing more than a 3rd TE in more of an H-back mold (think Chris Cooley but without the hot pants or the talent). He is salvageable in that role, and is a better blocker as a FB than Carey Davis (then again, so am I), so I would prefer that we go out and get ourselves more of a natural fullback like we had in the past with Danny Kreider or Timmy Lester. McHugh can stay next year because of his versatility as a #3 TE and #2 FB next year (provided that we dump Davis after the season and pick up a real FB). Keeping McHugh in that role eliminates the need to draft yet another TE (assuming they are able to extend Heath's contract, since '09 will be the last year of his rookie contract) since we need to use our picks in the upcoming draft to build up both lines in the trenches.

feltdizz
12-29-2008, 04:14 PM
Kemo was a beast pulling on the TD run.. but I also saw the obvious.. FWP for 1 and 2 yards in the single then we put the FB/TE in the backfield and bam.. first run goes for 8 yards.

Moore can produce in the single back role but FWP not so much. I love FWP but have to concede he isn't a great/as effective in the single back role

skyhawk
12-29-2008, 04:19 PM
Kemo was a beast pulling on the TD run.. but I also saw the obvious.. FWP for 1 and 2 yards in the single then we put the FB/TE in the backfield and bam.. first run goes for 8 yards.

Moore can produce in the single back role but FWP not so much. I love FWP but have to concede he isn't a great/as effective in the single back role

Mewelde has had a great season, especially when he starts. I really think he is the wild card for the Steelers in the playoffs. The main priority is for Ben to step it up.

ikestops85
12-29-2008, 04:21 PM
What are you guys talking about ... Willie's playing days are over ... he's toast. Put on the trading block and see if you can get a 6th rounder for him. http://smileyjungle.com/smilies/lostit0.gif

Oh, wait. That was last weeks scouting report on Willie. Could they have been wrong?? http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Surprise/surprised-038.gif