PDA

View Full Version : Firings hot and heavy...

Iron Shiek
12-29-2008, 11:30 AM
"Fats" Crennel, Eric Mangini, Rod Marinelli all gone.

NorthCoast
12-29-2008, 11:40 AM
Surprised by the Mangina firing. I think the whole Favre being the savior for the Jests was way overblown. I don't think he was that bad of a coach.

Marinelli: well what can one say?....wonder if he can ever get a job as an HC in the NFL again? A part of being an NFL coach is having player respect it would be awfully hard to give respect to a man that was winless for a season.

Steeler Shades
12-29-2008, 11:41 AM
Sounds like some serious discrimination against Italians. Do they represent .666 of the over all coaching positions in the NFL? If not why are 2/3 of the coaches being fired Italian? Seems like something that should keep the commissioner busy for a year or two. 8)

Iron Shiek
12-29-2008, 11:46 AM
Surprised by the Mangina firing. I think the whole Favre being the savior for the Jests was way overblown. I don't think he was that bad of a coach.

Marinelli: well what can one say?....wonder if he can ever get a job as an HC in the NFL again? A part of being an NFL coach is having player respect it would be awfully hard to give respect to a man that was winless for a season.

Mangina was fired because they were freakin 8-3 and finished 9-7. He's supposed to be a defensive guru and yet his team's defense sucked a$$. While it sucks, his team collapsed, what can you do. Although the dumb GM Tannenbaum went from building through the draft to the Raider technique of spending hundreds of millions of dollars to bring in high profile free agents. No credibility with the GM there I think. He should be tanked too.

Marinelli needed to go unfortunately. He's kind of like Lebeau. Great D-Cor or D-Line coach, but can't be a head coach I think.

Other coaches who collapsed on the stretch but won't get fired: Shanahan (too expensive to can), Gruden (same thing), Wade Phillips somehow is untouchable. He must have photos of Jerry Jones screwing a horse or something...

frankthetank1
12-29-2008, 11:54 AM
i am suprised mangina got the boot as well. this was only his third season right? seems a little early to fire a guy that is a young coach and hasnt done horrible. im gonna miss romeo a lot, it was inevitable though

RuthlessBurgher
12-29-2008, 11:56 AM

Marinelli will not be a head coach again. Dude will turn 60 years old before the start of next season. He'll be a valuable piece of another team's defensive coaching staff. Some people are meant to be position coaches or coordinators working with x's and o's and with individual players on a daily basis as opposed to being a head coach, which is more like being the CEO of a company.

Teams will likely follow the Steeler model of going after young upcoming coaches like Steve Spagnolo (NYG), Jim Schwartz (TEN), or Josh McDaniels (NE).

NorthCoast
12-29-2008, 12:01 PM
i am suprised mangina got the boot as well. this was only his third season right? seems a little early to fire a guy that is a young coach and hasnt done horrible. im gonna miss romeo a lot, it was inevitable though

Yea, when you go 0-8 against a team in your own division it does not bode well at all. Strange thing is Crennel was supposed to be a great DC but his team's Ds pretty much blew the entire time he was HC (although they did find a gem in Rogers). They really should have focused on LBs cause that is where they needed alot of attention. We have to be one of the best teams in the league at finding LBs that can play to such a high level, I think we take it for granted sometimes.

frankthetank1
12-29-2008, 12:06 PM

Yea, when you go 0-8 against a team in your own division it does not bode well at all. Strange thing is Crennel was supposed to be a great DC but his team's Ds pretty much blew the entire time he was HC (although they did find a gem in Rogers). They really should have focused on LBs cause that is where they needed alot of attention. We have to be one of the best teams in the league at finding LBs that can play to such a high level, I think we take it for granted sometimes.

i agree, he did nothing for that defense the entire time he was the hc. they had one good year and couldnt even make the playoffs. very pathetic. out of the genius bellycheat's coaching tree you have romeo who is now unemployed and charlie weiss who should be unemployed. i think its pretty safe to say that bellycheat and his dicsiples are frauds

Iron Shiek
12-29-2008, 12:12 PM
Randy Lerner is quoted as saying that he spoke with Cowher and Cowher told him he is not interested in joining the Browns. Sweet.

Stains are going after Scott Pioli of the Cheaters as their GM. Another Cheater that will be unsuccessful away from the Cheaters. Lets see the Checklist:

1. "Fats" Crennel - FIRED
2. Mangina - FIRED
3. Frontbutt (aka Charlie Weis) - Might as well be FIRED

That cheater coaching tree is doing great!

RussBII
12-29-2008, 12:42 PM
Randy Lerner is quoted as saying that he spoke with Cowher and Cowher told him he is not interested in joining the Browns. Sweet.

Stains are going after Scott Pioli of the Cheaters as their GM. Another Cheater that will be unsuccessful away from the Cheaters. Lets see the Checklist:

2. Mangina - FIRED

I actually think this just proves that the brains behind the Patriots (cheating or not) was Bill Bellicheck and not his co-ordinators.

Iron Shiek
12-29-2008, 12:57 PM
A further update on the Stains...this is hilarious:

From PFT:

Per Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, Lerner “appeared interested” when hearing that the Jets had fired head coach Eric Mangini.

So they go from one Cheater failure to another. Face it Stains, you aren't going to rekindle any spark of what you had with Belicheat by hiring his cast offs...

Steelgal
12-29-2008, 02:11 PM

2. Mangina - FIRED

I actually think this just proves that the brains behind the Patriots (cheating or not) was Bill Bellicheck and not his co-ordinators.

Don't forget Ernie Adams......... Bellichick wouldn't have been nearly as successful without him :loser

Uncle Rico
12-29-2008, 02:33 PM
You really had to hand it to Romeo when it came to his gameplanning skills. What a brilliant move he made yesterday when he made it a priority to get Jamal Lewis his 1000yds instead of trying to avoid the NFL record for offensive futility. That move just epitomizes Cleveland Browns football.

Iron Shiek
12-29-2008, 03:03 PM
A hiring to report:

Mike Singletary reportedly signs as full time head coach with the 49ers.

Good for him. He lit a fire under that team's a$$. Get him a few more players and they will turn it around.

NorthCoast
12-29-2008, 06:02 PM
You really had to hand it to Romeo when it came to his gameplanning skills. What a brilliant move he made yesterday when he made it a priority to get Jamal Lewis his 1000yds instead of trying to avoid the NFL record for offensive futility. That move just epitomizes Cleveland Browns football.

Actually I had the ultimate respect for the coach after that. The Browns were going nowhere and Crennel's job was uncertain at the time. Why not let your franchise RB get the contract bonus and seal his respect if you return for the next season? I saw nothing wrong with this call as it was clear the game was beyond reach.

ikestops85
12-29-2008, 06:09 PM

Actually I had the ultimate respect for the coach after that. The Browns were going nowhere and Crennel's job was uncertain at the time. Why not let your franchise RB get the contract bonus and seal his respect if you return for the next season? I saw nothing wrong with this call as it was clear the game was beyond reach.

:Agree with you NorthCoast. I think it was a classy thing to do for his player.

Iron Shiek
12-30-2008, 02:20 PM
In non head coach news: Reports out of SanFrancisco indicate Mike Martz will not be retained as OC of the 49ers (reported on Sirius NFL Radio).

This makes sense. The radio guys were saying when you have a guy like Frank Gore you get him the ball more than anyone else on your team and Martz didn't always do that apparently.

Djfan
12-30-2008, 03:21 PM
Martz has always sucked. I just can't understand the NFL good old boy network. It fails over and over again, but never leaves.

He should be selling insurance, not having anything to do with the NFL.

I love seeing the failure of Bellicheat's minions. I hope someone does a media report on that idiot and his legacy someday.

Iron Shiek
12-30-2008, 04:17 PM
Rex Ryan apparently has a strong chance at getting the Rams Head coaching job. That would be nice for him to leave the Ravens...he's a pretty good DCOR.

I heard on radio also that old Russ Grimm will be given consideration for a handful of jobs and that he is highly regarded in terms of coaching ability among NFL people...

Richard Smith (?), DCOR for Texans was fired as well. Not that this is huge news, but fits with the thread as well.

Iron Shiek
12-30-2008, 04:45 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3800515

Mangini scheduled to interview with Clowns...

Report: Browns, Mangini to talk
Associated Press

Updated: December 30, 2008, 3:34 PM ET

CLEVELAND -- The Cleveland Browns have scheduled an interview Tuesday with fired New York Jets coach Eric Mangini, a person with knowledge of the meeting told The Associated Press.

Mangini, dismissed Monday by the Jets after they collapsed down the stretch and missed the playoffs, will meet with Browns owner Randy Lerner in the New York area, said the source, who spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the interview.

Mangini began his NFL career in Cleveland in 1994 as a public relations assistant. He went 23-26 in three seasons and made the playoffs once with the Jets, who went 1-4 in their final five games.

The Browns fired coach Romeo Crennel on Monday.

Jooser
12-30-2008, 05:09 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3800515

Mangini scheduled to interview with Clowns...

Report: Browns, Mangini to talk
Associated Press

Updated: December 30, 2008, 3:34 PM ET

CLEVELAND -- The Cleveland Browns have scheduled an interview Tuesday with fired New York Jets coach Eric Mangini, a person with knowledge of the meeting told The Associated Press.

Mangini, dismissed Monday by the Jets after they collapsed down the stretch and missed the playoffs, will meet with Browns owner Randy Lerner in the New York area, said the source, who spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the interview.

Mangini began his NFL career in Cleveland in 1994 as a public relations assistant. He went 23-26 in three seasons and made the playoffs once with the Jets, who went 1-4 in their final five games.

The Browns fired coach Romeo Crennel on Monday.

Just like the Stains to bring in another choker. LMAO! :brownssuck

RuthlessBurgher
12-30-2008, 05:19 PM
Every time I read the title of this thread, I think of this:

What if he tells John? Then John's gonna think that I think that we're hot and heavy. I don't want John thinking that I'm hot and heavy if he's not hot and heavy.

VirgilBosett
12-30-2008, 07:03 PM
Broncos fire Shanahan after 21 years with team

Perhaps the Clowns next interview?

RuthlessBurgher
12-30-2008, 07:09 PM

Wow. I would hire the Broncos Jeremy Bates to replace Bruce Arians in a millisecond.

pittpete
12-30-2008, 08:25 PM
Can we fire Arians and let Batch call the plays?

Iron Shiek
12-30-2008, 11:47 PM

Yeah I click on ESPN.com and that is the Breaking News. The very next link? "Clayton: Cowher in Denver? It fits..."

For crying out loud...I told you all. Every dam job that opens...COWHER! COWHER! These idiots in the media..

Florio at PFT says Chargers for Shanny????

SHANAHAN HAS SOMETHING UP HIS SLEEVE?
Posted by Mike Florio on December 30, 2008, 7:51 p.m. EST
The immediate speculation in some league circles when word broke of the termination of long-time Broncos coach Mike Shanahan is that Shanahan has something else cooking, and that he forced his firing by refusing to agree to changes that owner Pat Bowlen wants to make.

According to Jeff Legwold of the Rocky Mountain News, part of that speculation is right on the money.

Per Legwold, Shanahan was fired because he refused to fire defensive coordinator Bob Slowik, whose unit surrendered 52 points in a Week Seventeen loss to the Chargers.

Said Bowlen, in a release issued by the team: “After giving this careful consideration, I have concluded that a change in our football operations is in the best interests of the Denver Broncos. This is certainly a difficult decision, but one that I feel must be made and which will ultimately be in the best interests of all concerned.

“I appreciate the 21 years that Mike Shanahan has given to the organization as an assistant and head coach, and the two Super Bowl wins in that time. His contributions hold a special place in Broncos history.”

So if Shanahan wanted to get out of town because he has something else cooking, what might it be?

Believe it or not, there’s speculation that Shanahan is trying to position himself for the Chargers job.

What’s that, you say? The Chargers are in the playoffs and they’ve made it clear that Norv Turner is coming back as head coach?

That was our reaction, too. But a highly-placed league source suspects that something is happening with Shanahan and San Diego.

In our book, it’s almost as unlikely as Shanahan coaching the Raiders. But we’ll continue to keep our eyes peeled on this one.