PDA

View Full Version : Plays I would like to See in the PS

NorthCoast
12-29-2008, 11:11 AM
Post season is where BA earns his keep. If this offense is going to win we will need some creativity. Here are a few that would be good to see:

A WR reverse to Nate. Nate has excellent straightline speed so if he can make the first guy miss he could go the distance.

3 WR in bunch with Miller lined up in the slot position on the opposite side. Miller can beat most LBs and many of the safeties in the league.

Steelers Wildcat: Direct snap to Hines who could run or throw.

At least 3 passes to Moore in the flat. If this does not happen then it confirms BA does not know how to plan to team strengths. 8 of 10 times this play results in positive yds.

Can we please try a fade to WR/TE when near the endzone? When was the last time we have seen this play?

MeetJoeGreene
12-29-2008, 11:28 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing a reverse to either Holmes or Nate.
As for the passes in the flat... Ben has to be willing to take those passes. He often overlooks those in favor of downfield.

Iron Shiek
12-29-2008, 11:34 AM
You do know we are talking about Arians here right?

I think this same post came up last year around playoff time and people were saying this is where Arians "earns his keep" and he failed miserably (for the last 50 minutes of the game). I expect no creativity and no new plays. He hasn't done it in 17 weeks, why would he change now.

I am not disagreeing with you by the way, I'd like to see these kinds of wrinkles too. But just like my expectations of the offense scoring more than 20 points in a game has been re-analyzed, so too has my faith in Arians changing his playbook and being creative.

stlrz d
12-29-2008, 03:15 PM
Until I see us run it again, I'll never stop mourning the loss of the fake dive up the middle, pitch out to the TB on the outside.

Iron Shiek
12-29-2008, 03:21 PM
Until I see us run it again, I'll never stop mourning the loss of the fake dive up the middle, pitch out to the TB on the outside.

I love that play. I love it so much that I ran 3 tds on the Stains with Willie Parker using that play in Madden for the Wii (which was my kids' Christmas present...ha)

stlrz d
12-29-2008, 03:30 PM
[quote="stlrz d":1o7nrzch]Until I see us run it again, I'll never stop mourning the loss of the fake dive up the middle, pitch out to the TB on the outside.

I love that play. I love it so much that I ran 3 tds on the Stains with Willie Parker using that play in Madden for the Wii (which was my kids' Christmas present...ha)[/quote:1o7nrzch]

I didn't love it when the Titans ran it against us for a TD this season. :(

NorCal-Steeler
12-29-2008, 03:34 PM
I'd like to see some more of Miller and Spaeth other than blocking.

RussBII
12-29-2008, 03:54 PM

Who runs the fake dive? if the TB is already circling out for the pitch? Get the ball into Mewelde's hands there and I think its good. FWP if its open would go to the house. But since Carey Davis or McHugh aren't much of a threat, and we don't see many two TB sets, I'm not sure who'd run the fake dive?

Or am i just misunderstanding the whole thing here?

skyhawk
12-29-2008, 04:15 PM

Damn dude, another good point. I love that play. Can't remember, someone ran that play against us in the last 2 weeks and it was for a first down and maybe a TD. Great play call.

skyhawk
12-29-2008, 04:16 PM
[quote="Iron Shiek":3a59gokc][quote="stlrz d":3a59gokc]Until I see us run it again, I'll never stop mourning the loss of the fake dive up the middle, pitch out to the TB on the outside.

I love that play. I love it so much that I ran 3 tds on the Stains with Willie Parker using that play in Madden for the Wii (which was my kids' Christmas present...ha)[/quote:3a59gokc]

I didn't love it when the Titans ran it against us for a TD this season. :([/quote:3a59gokc]

Oops. Didn't see this! This was it!

skyhawk
12-29-2008, 04:17 PM

Who runs the fake dive? if the TB is already circling out for the pitch? Get the ball into Mewelde's hands there and I think its good. FWP if its open would go to the house. But since Carey Davis or McHugh aren't much of a threat, and we don't see many two TB sets, I'm not sure who'd run the fake dive?

A pitch to Mewelde or even a short pass to Hines in the flat. The ball needs to be in his hands.

RussBII
12-29-2008, 04:20 PM

A pitch to Mewelde or even a short pass to Hines in the flat. The ball needs to be in his hands.

Agreed, but do you think defense will bite on the dive to Mchugh or Davis?

feltdizz
12-29-2008, 04:20 PM
Post season is where BA earns his keep. If this offense is going to win we will need some creativity. Here are a few that would be good to see:

A WR reverse to Nate. Nate has excellent straightline speed so if he can make the first guy miss he could go the distance.

3 WR in bunch with Miller lined up in the slot position on the opposite side. Miller can beat most LBs and many of the safeties in the league.

At least 3 passes to Moore in the flat. If this does not happen then it confirms BA does not know how to plan to team strengths. 8 of 10 times this play results in positive yds.

Can we please try a fade to WR/TE when near the endzone? When was the last time we have seen this play?

I agree on all... but I doubt we will run plays to Moore in the flat... but Ben needs to throw to Moore in the flat when he is open. Especially if it's 3rd and 2...

skyhawk
12-29-2008, 04:21 PM

I agree on all... but I doubt we will run plays to Moore in the flat... but Ben needs to throw to Moore in the flat when he is open. Especially if it's 3rd and 2...

Yes. Moore is very deceptive in his running style and is a great player to have down the stretch, if there is one.

skyhawk
12-29-2008, 04:22 PM

Not sure if they will bite. The Steelers just need to execute the play, if they even have it on the books.

RussBII
12-29-2008, 04:24 PM

Not sure if they will bite. The Steelers just need to execute the play, if they even have it on the books.

I think the fake dive is useless unless we run the dive for a few yards a couple times first...

Then again if its a 4th and 1 or a 3rd and 1, they'll bite on the first guy through no matter what. It would take a pretty savvy defense to watch for a play we've only run once...

However, there are quite a few savvy defenses in the playoffs.

stlrz d
12-29-2008, 08:57 PM

It's got to be set up with some inside runs first.

The beautiful thing about that play is you fake it to the better back inside (Parker, Russell or Moore) and pitch it to another back. The O line blocks that play as if it is an inside run so all the defenders pinch inside, which makes it easier for the WR to seal the end of the line. The pitch out can be to a lessor back (Davis) because it's almost always wide open.

Or it could be faked to GRus inside and pitched to Moore outside.

I don't care about the RB combination, just run the Buddha damn* play!

*That was for you Djfan! :D

Chavezz
12-29-2008, 10:17 PM
I beg for that play week in and week out. My friends think i'm obsessed with it.

that play works fantastically. The F'N Browns ran it last week!

stlrz d
12-29-2008, 10:27 PM
I beg for that play week in and week out. My friends think i'm obsessed with it.

that play works fantastically. The F'N Browns ran it last week!

Your friends would think the same of me. :D

SteelerNation1
12-29-2008, 10:34 PM
The only play/plays I wanna see run in the playoffs is the play where Ben doesn't turn the ball over. If he doesn't throw picks or fumbles, we roll through the postseason. Think about this, if Ben doesn't turn the ball over this year, we probably go 15-1. :shock: