PDA

View Full Version : I was starting to worry

stlrz d
12-29-2008, 12:59 AM
that Ed Reed might get DPOY because he has 9 picks and a few TDs...until I looked at the rest of his stats.

He has only 41 tackles. That's right, 41. For comparison's sake I took a look at Ryan Clark's stats since they both play FS. Clark, in 2 fewer games, has 87. Yes, 87...more than double in 2 fewer games! Clark has 52 solo tackles. In 2 fewer games Clark has 11 more solo tackles than Reed has total tackles.

If Ed Reed is named DPOY it will be a crime against players like Ware, Haynesworth and Harrison who make their presence felt all over the field and not just in one statistical category.

Yes picks are great, but what else does he bring???

RussBII
12-29-2008, 01:01 AM
<devils advocate>

It certainly can be argued that the single most important thing a defensive player can do is to get the ball back.

</devils advocate>

I think DPOY should go to the most well rounded disruptive defensive force of the year. This includes big games, takeaways, TFLs, sacks, and if he makes the other team game plan for him.

That being said, DPOY goes to Jimmy Hate aka James Harrison aka "Don't kill me.... sir!"

pittpete
12-29-2008, 01:03 AM
Ed Reed is a solid all around player and brings the wood.
Most ball carriers dont get past the LBs for Baltimore.
If Harrison wasnt held every other play hed probably would have had 19 or 20 sacks :wft

stlrz d
12-29-2008, 01:08 AM
I understand that Ed is a good player don't get me wrong, but he's allowed to sit back and ball hawk. He seems to have no other responsibilities.

Imagine if that were the case for Troy with his speed, smarts and nose for the ball.

Russ I agree taking the ball away is important, but I simply don't see Reed as an all around player and to me it would be a crime if he got the award when guys who make things happen in several facets of the D get overlooked.

frankthetank1
12-29-2008, 08:14 AM
I understand that Ed is a good player don't get me wrong, but he's allowed to sit back and ball hawk. He seems to have no other responsibilities.

Imagine if that were the case for Troy with his speed, smarts and nose for the ball.

Russ I agree taking the ball away is important, but I simply don't see Reed as an all around player and to me it would be a crime if he got the award when guys who make things happen in several facets of the D get overlooked.

i agree, reed really doesnt have to give run support. i think its only because the ravens defense is so good against the run. i thought ed was still tied with troy with 7 ints? did he get a couple yesterday?

stlrz d
12-29-2008, 08:27 AM
Yes, he had 2 yesterday.

frankthetank1
12-29-2008, 08:39 AM
Yes, he had 2 yesterday.

damn it!! i hate ed reed so much. he is starting over hope i would assume in the pro bowl right?

frankthetank1
12-29-2008, 08:39 AM
Yes, he had 2 yesterday.

damn it!! i hate ed reed so much. he is starting over hope i would assume in the pro bowl right?

nevermind, i forgot that they do not play the same position any more

NorthCoast
12-29-2008, 11:33 AM
Ask yourself the question: would you take Reed over Clark for OUR kind of defense? (I think this was already discussed ad-nauseum in another post.)

Iron Shiek
12-29-2008, 11:37 AM
Sweet. Adam Schein on Sirius Blitz on NFL Radio apparently has a ballot. He voted for Harrison for DPOY. Hooray.

FWIW...his other votes: Peyton manning-MVP. Jeff Fisher- Coach of the year.

stlrz d
12-29-2008, 03:17 PM
I'm just sayin' I don't think Reed's one area of excellence deems him a DPOY prize. At least it shouldn't.

skyhawk
12-29-2008, 03:38 PM
Sweet. Adam Schein on Sirius Blitz on NFL Radio apparently has a ballot. He voted for Harrison for DPOY. Hooray.

Tomlin coach of the year.

Iron Shiek
12-29-2008, 03:41 PM

Tomlin coach of the year.

Yeah, if we would've wrapped up the number one seed it would be close. Unfortunately those first year coaches that turned their teams around are going to get all the pub. Fisher and Tomlin will get some votes, but I think ultimately Smith in ATL or Sparano in MIA likely get the hype.

mshifko
12-29-2008, 03:50 PM
as long as harrison wins dpoy i will not complain...because i know tomlin is going to get screwed out of coach of the year...