PDA

View Full Version : Roethlisberger concussion??

Ozey74
12-28-2008, 06:07 PM
The looks of the hit didn't look that severe. That being said, I thought the footage from CBS of the ambulance taking Ben to the hospital was a tad excessive. It looked like something out of Monday Night Raw.

The fact that it is almost 3 hours since this took place and there is still no thread about this leads me to believe that my fellow Planet members aren't very concerned.

Ben will be fine for the game in 2 weeks, but he will most likely be listed as questionable till game time.

:tt2

stlrz d
12-28-2008, 06:10 PM
They said he was fine. Walking around, talking to people, etc.

I think he'll be fine, so no, I'm not concerned.

I bet he'll get a week off and then practice the full week before the game.

Sugar
12-28-2008, 06:11 PM
Unfortunately, I was unable to see the game. They kept saying that BB went out in the 2nd Quarter w/ a concussion but nothing more. Hopefully, our boy will be ready to go after a couple weeks off.

Ozey74
12-28-2008, 06:14 PM
They said he was fine. Walking around, talking to people, etc.

I think he'll be fine, so no, I'm not concerned.

I bet he'll get a week off and then practice the full week before the game.

I had not heard this. Thanks for the update!

mshifko
12-28-2008, 06:23 PM
nice to see nothing serious...hopefully big ben will have a big postseason

Chachi
12-28-2008, 06:41 PM
While a concussion is serious, when I first heard he went out I feared a knee or leg. At least with this type of injury he had the chance to be back by next game.

A person gets more and more susceptible to concussions the more one has. How many is this now? At least 2, today and June 12, 2005. Has he had any game related concussions?

I hope his body adjusts to this injury ok and in a timely manner.

Steeler Shades
12-28-2008, 06:48 PM
I think he had at least one in 2006. Plus the bike / car accident was probably also a concussion. 8)

rpmpit
12-28-2008, 07:01 PM
Just heard on NFLN (or maybe it was CBS) that initial tests were negative. What does that mean?? What are they testing for?

Ozey74
12-28-2008, 07:11 PM
Just heard on NFLN (or maybe it was CBS) that initial tests were negative. What does that mean?? What are they testing for?

They are testing for damage. So this is good news, because it's negative for damage.

My sister in-law, who is a nurse, clarified what this meant for me. When I heard the word "negative", I thought of something bad. But this is not the case when speaking of sports injuries. Negative x-rays, ect are good!!!

stlrz d
12-28-2008, 07:14 PM
It always irks me when they say, "X-Rays are negative" because X-Rays are negatives! :lol:

rpmpit
12-28-2008, 07:18 PM

They are testing for damage. So this is good news, because it's negative for damage.

My sister in-law, who is a nurse, clarified what this meant for me. When I heard the word "negative", I thought of something bad. But this is not the case when speaking of sports injuries. Negative x-rays, ect are good!!!

Thanks, Ozey. I was just curious as to what type of damage they were looking for. Something like a fractured skull maybe??

Ozey74
12-28-2008, 07:21 PM

Thanks, Ozey. I was just curious as to what type of damage they were looking for. Something like a fractured skull maybe??

Negative x-rays is an oxy moron. It's a good thing, but it sounds bad!!!! :wink:

buckeyehoppy
12-28-2008, 07:40 PM
While a concussion is serious, when I first heard he went out I feared a knee or leg. At least with this type of injury he had the chance to be back by next game.

A person gets more and more susceptible to concussions the more one has. How many is this now? At least 2, today and June 12, 2005. Has he had any game related concussions?

I hope his body adjusts to this injury ok and in a timely manner.

This, I believe, is his second game-related concussion. Add the Evel Knievel stunt and that makes three total.

Concussions get progressively worse. You can ask Merrill Hoge about that. I think he still needs to carry ID and directions just to get him home.

The Steelers absolutely need to have Lefty ready. If Ben comes out and looks like hell, they can yank him and get Lefty out there. I hope it doesn't come to that, but the Steelers need to be set for all eventualities. That, plus, if a team has to prepare for the possibility of one or the other QB, then that could favor the Steelers. Ben and Lefty are different enough to cause a concussion just in game prep.

skyhawk
12-28-2008, 08:21 PM
Jeez guys, I would hardly call the test results as "negative". A concussion is a physical injury to the most vital organ of all. The BRAIN.

stlrz d
12-28-2008, 08:33 PM
Jeez guys, I would hardly call the test results as "negative". A concussion is a physical injury to the most vital organ of all. The BRAIN.

As was stated, negative means it is nothing beyond a concussion.

skyhawk
12-28-2008, 08:42 PM

This is good.

Still, others above were mentioning that there was NO damage. Hardly the case.

stlrz d
12-28-2008, 08:55 PM

This is good.

Still, others above were mentioning that there was NO damage. Hardly the case.

I think what they meant was no damage beyond a concussion.

JAR
12-28-2008, 09:18 PM
The guy riding on the cart with Ben checking on him on his way out was Joseph Maroon, one of the best neurosurgeons in the world and the Steelers team neuro. He developed the computerized system (ImPACTŠ (Immediate Post-Concussion Assessment and Cognitive Testing) that indicates the severity of a concussion. Ben's in the best hands possible when it comes to concussions, or really any neuro problem.

stlrz d
12-28-2008, 09:21 PM
The guy riding on the cart with Ben checking on him on his way out was Joseph Maroon, one of the best neurosurgeons in the world and the Steelers team neuro. He developed the computerized system (ImPACTŠ (Immediate Post-Concussion Assessment and Cognitive Testing) that indicates the severity of a concussion. Ben's in the best hands possible when it comes to concussions, or really any neuro problem.

Thanks for the inside info!

Steeler Shades
12-28-2008, 10:12 PM
Is this the same guy that was pronouncing Ben ready to play in the 2006 season? 8)

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-28-2008, 10:22 PM
It always irks me when they say, "X-Rays are negative" because X-Rays are negatives! :lol:

I missed the game, but right now at this time, this is absolutely hilarious!!!

stlrz d
12-28-2008, 10:47 PM

I missed the game, but right now at this time, this is absolutely hilarious!!!

Well...it's true! :lol:

JDSteeler
12-29-2008, 12:45 AM
Me thinks Ben has an Angel watching over him...Ben has had more than one
close call and, the Angel magically makes him better.

Just hope the Angel can straighten out some of those passes....

What really bothered me, was when Ben initially went down, more than a
few of the Steelers fans...errr....posers wearing Steelers jerseys started to
cheer! Makes me sick, and I don't care how bad he might be playing! Felt like
taking some action, but with the Pinkie still broke, I settled down and let it
go for another day.

JD

frankthetank1
12-29-2008, 08:10 AM
i still think it was really stupid to play ben at all. i was glad to see that harrison did not dress for the game. thank god the fo went out and got lefty. ben better be ok, i have no confidence in lefty in the postseason. i dont even have that much confidence in ben this season. he is having a bad bad year.

stlrz d
12-29-2008, 08:26 AM
i still think it was really stupid to play ben at all. i was glad to see that harrison did not dress for the game. thank god the fo went out and got lefty. ben better be ok, i have no confidence in lefty in the postseason. i dont even have that much confidence in ben this season. he is having a bad bad year.

I don't think you want a QB coming off a 4 turnover performance to go into the playoffs having not taken a meaningful snap in 3 weeks.

frankthetank1
12-29-2008, 08:37 AM

I don't think you want a QB coming off a 4 turnover performance to go into the playoffs having not taken a meaningful snap in 3 weeks.

yea i know, you never want that but i would take that over not being able to play because of an injury suffered in a meaningless game. either way im worried. all it takes is one bad game from ben in the postseason and its over

MeetJoeGreene
12-29-2008, 09:20 AM

I questioned whether some of our key starters (Ben, Willie, Hines) should play.

I was actually MORE ticked that he kept FWP and Hine in the game in the 2nd half. I was figuring that he would yank the starters after first half.

MeetJoeGreene
12-29-2008, 09:22 AM
Me thinks Ben has an Angel watching over him...Ben has had more than one
close call and, the Angel magically makes him better.

Just hope the Angel can straighten out some of those passes....

JD

What we need to find out is if there is a patron Saint of check-down passes.

And pray to that Saint.

frankthetank1
12-29-2008, 09:30 AM

I questioned whether some of our key starters (Ben, Willie, Hines) should play.

I was actually MORE ticked that he kept FWP and Hine in the game in the 2nd half. I was figuring that he would yank the starters after first half.

me too. i have no idea why tomlin left fwp in for so long same with troy, why play starters when the game is in hand? ward i can see i guess since he was so close to 800 receptions but its not like this is his last season.

Jooser
12-29-2008, 09:50 AM
Well, D, now Ben is coming back after 5 turnovers, a mild concussion, and waiting for 2 weeks. Which is better? I'm not sure. I just hope he's ok and plays well when he comes back, all our hopes depend on it. I think you're right, it's a mild concussion and he'll play without any lingering effects from it. As for people cheering when he went down, they are not fans and I think it's a dispicable act from selfish, drunken jerkoffs.

About FWP playing in the second qtr., I think that MT left him in there to try to lather him up, as they say, and let him find some rhythm.

frankthetank1
12-29-2008, 10:15 AM
Well, D, now Ben is coming back after 5 turnovers, a mild concussion, and waiting for 2 weeks. Which is better? I'm not sure. I just hope he's ok and plays well when he comes back, all our hopes depend on it. I think you're right, it's a mild concussion and he'll play without any lingering effects from it. As for people cheering when he went down, they are not fans and I think it's a dispicable act from selfish, drunken jerkoffs.

About FWP playing in the second qtr., I think that MT left him in there to try to lather him up, as they say, and let him find some rhythm.

who was cheering when ben got hurt?

Sugar
12-29-2008, 10:42 AM

I don't know, but that should not go unpunished!! :evil:

BDESteel
12-29-2008, 01:34 PM

I don't know, but that should not go unpunished!! :evil:JD made the comment. I was there with JD and witnessed it for myself. I've been pleading to see Leftwhich play and was excited to see what he could do but was also pretty upset to see the poor taste in judgement to see people cheer when Ben went down, especially laid out like he was. No one should want another man to leave with a serious injury.

It's obvious we sink or swim with Ben so lets hope he's okay.

Jooser
12-29-2008, 01:38 PM

I don't know, but that should not go unpunished!! :evil:JD made the comment. I was there JD and witnessed it for myself. I've been pleading to see Leftwhich play and was excited to see what he could do but was also pretty upset to see the poor taste in judgement to see people cheer when Ben went down, especially laid out like he was. No one should want another man to leave with a serious injury.

It's obvious we sink or swim with Ben so lets hope he's okay.

EXACTLY.

costanza2k1
12-29-2008, 02:52 PM
http://www.postgazette.com/pg/08364/938374-100.stm

Steelers' Roethlisberger was released from hospital Sunday night
Monday, December 29, 2008
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was released from the hospital Sunday evening with the same diagnosis doctors gave him at Heinz Field, he sustained a concussion.

Roethlisberger did not spend the night as originally planned and was up walking the halls at UPMC-Presbyterian shortly after he was brought there by ambulance, according to team sources.

He was injured when his head bounced off the grass at Heinz Field hen he was tackled by Cleveland linebackers Willie McGinest and D'Qwell Jackson with 1:49 left in the first half of the Steelers' 31-0 victory Sunday.

Roethlisberger is expected to play when the Steelers open the playoffs Jan. 11 at Heinz Field, although it remains in question whether he will practice this week.
More details in tomorrow's Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
First published on December 29, 2008 at 1:24 pm

stlrz d
12-29-2008, 03:28 PM

There is no way to know before the game how he would perform.

Tomlin made the right decision. Making the right decision doesn't always yield good results, but he still made the right decision. Ben and the offense needed the work.

skyhawk
12-29-2008, 03:36 PM

There is no way to know before the game how he would perform.

Tomlin made the right decision. Making the right decision doesn't always yield good results, but he still made the right decision. Ben and the offense needed the work.

I agree. The O totally needed the work. I was glad to see Ben in there.

I got really tired of Cowher resting all the main starters in the final game and coming out 2 weeks later (3 weeks for some of the starters) and playing REALLY flat. There's nothing better than real games over just practicing at the facility for 2-3 weeks.

feltdizz
12-29-2008, 04:17 PM
Ben needed the reps... it wasn't like he looked polished against the Clowns anyway.. but it was the right call... now Ben waiting until the last second to throw the ball with 2 minutes left? Not too smart.. but it's hard to change your game up when that is what you would normally do.

I really wish Ben would have thrown that one away... but Ben is Ben.

papillon
12-29-2008, 04:32 PM
Ben shouldn't have played in this game at all. The offense isn't getting fixed in week 17 if the first 16 didn't help. All that could have happened yesterday, did happen and it was bad, the Steelers are fortunate that it doesn't appear to be serious enough to keep Ben from playing in the playoffs.

Pappy

stlrz d
12-29-2008, 08:50 PM
If Ben doesn't play in this game and lays an absolute egg in the playoffs people would be pissed that Tomlin rested him for 3 weeks after how he played against the Titans.

Tomlin made the right decision. It's football...players get hurt. It sucks, but it happens.

Steeler Shades
12-29-2008, 09:01 PM
If Ben doesn't play in this game and lays an absolute egg in the playoffs people would be pissed that Tomlin rested him for 3 weeks after how he played against the Titans.
If Ben lays an absolute egg in the playoffs people will be pissed regardless of what Tomlin did in the Browns games. 8)

stlrz d
12-29-2008, 09:07 PM
[quote="stlrz d":2kdwzskc]If Ben doesn't play in this game and lays an absolute egg in the playoffs people would be pissed that Tomlin rested him for 3 weeks after how he played against the Titans.
If Ben lays an absolute egg in the playoffs people will be pissed regardless of what Tomlin did in the Browns games. 8)[/quote:2kdwzskc]

True, people would be pissed at Ben...but if Tomlin had rested him and it happens then they're pissed at Tomlin for resting him as well.

Steeler Shades
12-29-2008, 09:10 PM
True, people would be pissed at Ben...but if Tomlin had rested him and it happens then they're pissed at Tomlin for resting him as well.
I can't speak for everyone but I'm reserving my anger with Tomlin for what he does with Airens. Ben is responsible for Ben. 8)

Jooser
12-29-2008, 09:46 PM
I can't disagree that Ben needed the reps, given his poor play recently. I have to point out, though, that his reps yielded no improvement from the stand point of his performance. All that was accomplished was another INT, and injured franchise player, and more head banging by the fans :HeadBanger , myself included. I hope that Ben finishes strong in the playoffs, Lord knows I'll be pulling for him. I'm not trying to bust on ya D, I swear, I just see it as a wasted opportunity to improve on offense and it's more than a little frustrating. I mean to say, we all know that this offense has the capacity to explode, we have the talent at a lot of postitions, it just hasn't happened yet. God speed Ben in his recovery and here's to hoping for the best in the playoffs.

:Cheers

stlrz d
12-29-2008, 09:56 PM
I hear you man...but keep in mind the Giants were playing for absolutely nothing yesterday too and Eli played the entire first half.

Perhaps the injury will turn out to be a blessing in disguise? Maybe Ben will be a bit quicker to deliver the ball when the heat is coming?

Jooser
12-29-2008, 11:40 PM
Amen brother.

Iron Shiek
12-30-2008, 03:03 PM
Tomlin on NFL Radio in his weekly spot. He said Ben was at practice today. But him and many other vets sat out. Tomlin said he was coming along fine and doesn't expect him to miss much practice time next week, if any at all.

Djfan
12-30-2008, 03:32 PM
I can't speak for everyone but I'm reserving my anger with Tomlin for what he does with Airens. Ben is responsible for Ben. 8)

Well said. I can see me sliding to the back of the Tomlin bandwagon if Brucey A stays.