PDA

View Full Version : Martz as OC?

NorthCoast
12-26-2008, 07:46 PM
Looks like Mike Martz is out as OC in SF. This guy has put together some pretty good offenses over the years. Might be worth an interview after the season.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/11192267

stlrz d
12-26-2008, 08:22 PM
I'll pass. Hope the Steelers do to.

I'd rather see someone who believes in building a balanced offense, not someone who reluctantly runs the ball.

ghettoscott
12-26-2008, 08:52 PM
If Zorn is available would you guys want him as OC? Dont know if Snider is going to let him go but IMO, Zorn would be a pretty sweet addition...

Wolfhound45
12-26-2008, 08:58 PM
Two words...

Chan

Gailey

http://amarillo.com/images/headlines/021198/steelers.jpg

Can you imagine what he could do with this offense? With Dennis Dixon?

I am hoping that he is available somewhere in the wreckage of the KC 2008 season.

costanza2k1
12-27-2008, 12:27 AM
My thoughts on this is that I wouldn't mind this....BUT we barely have the offensive line to run a very short passing game let alone run something that needs time to get established. So I guess the answer is no for now. We may need to get someone who is very run oriented for the time being to extend Big Ben's career until we get some new talent on the oline.

Djfan
12-27-2008, 12:37 AM
No thanks to the Martz offer. And, Zorn is going no where.

ramblinjim
12-27-2008, 12:44 AM
I like the Chan Gailey idea. Or try someone new altogether. Martz had a hall of fame running back in Marshall Faulk that he reluctantly handed the ball off too. I never got it.

Sugar
12-27-2008, 01:21 AM
Martz is a sharp guy but we may not have the tools he would need to do what he would want to do. I also don't think his style would go along with what Tomlin is trying to do.

It would be interesting having one of the great defensive minds in Lebeau for our D and one of the great offensive minds in Martz for the O.

steelernation77
12-27-2008, 02:58 AM
Martz would be absolutely terrible.

Jom112
12-27-2008, 03:45 AM
Martz would be absolutely terrible.

I have to agree. I think Martz would be a downgrade for you guys, although he would be an upgrade for us (As long as we hang on to TJ)....

TallyStiller
12-27-2008, 09:28 AM
I can't even believe this is being discussed here, considering the general bemoaning of the status of our running game this year. The run would disappear almost entirely from our offensive game plan if we brought Martz in. He'd be awful.

MeetJoeGreene
12-27-2008, 09:55 AM
Mike Martz? I would rather have Mike Myers.

http://www.britfilms.tv/images/news/mike%20myers.jpg

steelcityrules!!
12-27-2008, 10:08 AM
lets go steal this guy from carolina.

http://www.panthers.com/Team/CoachBio.aspx?id=16544

his is the offense and offensive line that I want...

stlrz d
12-27-2008, 10:35 AM
lets go steal this guy from carolina.

I'm guessing a guy like that isn't going anywhere unless it's for a head coaching gig.

steelcityrules!!
12-27-2008, 10:52 AM
[quote="steelcityrules!!":2u8gdacg]lets go steal this guy from carolina.

I'm guessing a guy like that isn't going anywhere unless it's for a head coaching gig.[/quote:2u8gdacg]

yea, I have lots of ideas that are good for this team that are just not realistic.
BUT... before we entertain the idea of bringing in another established ex HC as an offensive coordinator, we should be snooping around the ranks of the better offenses this season and see what sort of ambitious, creative, smart assistant coordinators are looking for a shot at the big leagues.

stlrz d
12-27-2008, 10:59 AM
[quote="stlrz d":73hhvbt9][quote="steelcityrules!!":73hhvbt9]lets go steal this guy from carolina.

I'm guessing a guy like that isn't going anywhere unless it's for a head coaching gig.[/quote:73hhvbt9]

yea, I have lots of ideas that are good for this team that are just not realistic.
BUT... before we entertain the idea of bringing in another established ex HC as an offensive coordinator, we should be snooping around the ranks of the better offenses this season and see what sort of ambitious, creative, smart assistant coordinators are looking for a shot at the big leagues.[/quote:73hhvbt9]

I agree. Teams do it for HC positions so no reason why they can't look to assistant offensive coaches to make them OCs.

Steeler Shades
12-27-2008, 11:34 AM
... before we entertain the idea of bringing in another established ex HC as an offensive coordinator, we should be snooping around the ranks of the better offenses this season and see what sort of ambitious, creative, smart assistant coordinators are looking for a shot at the big leagues.
How many teams have "assistant coordinators"? I know many have assistant HCs that are also O-Line coaches or something similar, but I'm not familiar with the ones that have assistant coordinators. 8)

pfelix73
12-27-2008, 11:37 AM
Mike Martz is 'beneath' the Steelers. No way would they hire that loser.

Same goes for Zorn.

steelcityrules!!
12-27-2008, 12:39 PM
[quote="steelcityrules!!":3ncblsfx]... before we entertain the idea of bringing in another established ex HC as an offensive coordinator, we should be snooping around the ranks of the better offenses this season and see what sort of ambitious, creative, smart assistant coordinators are looking for a shot at the big leagues.
How many teams have "assistant coordinators"? I know many have assistant HCs that are also O-Line coaches or something similar, but I'm not familiar with the ones that have assistant coordinators. 8)[/quote:3ncblsfx]

hehe, i do believe i might have made that up.
my comment was directed at positional coaches (RB's, TE's, Oline etc.) that might be considered "assistants" to the coordinators.

8)

Steeler Shades
12-27-2008, 02:19 PM
my comment was directed at positional coaches (RB's, TE's, Oline etc.) that might be considered "assistants" to the coordinators.
I agree that there are a few that may be ready for an OC job. Unfortunately none of the Steelers offensive assistants are ready IMHO. 8)

stlrz d
12-27-2008, 08:14 PM
[quote="Steeler Shades":287vxdq0][quote="steelcityrules!!":287vxdq0]... before we entertain the idea of bringing in another established ex HC as an offensive coordinator, we should be snooping around the ranks of the better offenses this season and see what sort of ambitious, creative, smart assistant coordinators are looking for a shot at the big leagues.
How many teams have "assistant coordinators"? I know many have assistant HCs that are also O-Line coaches or something similar, but I'm not familiar with the ones that have assistant coordinators. 8)[/quote:287vxdq0]

hehe, i do believe i might have made that up.

8)[/quote:287vxdq0]

I knew what you meant. :)

AngryAsian
12-27-2008, 08:25 PM
[quote="steelcityrules!!":29a5kjqb]my comment was directed at positional coaches (RB's, TE's, Oline etc.) that might be considered "assistants" to the coordinators.
I agree that there are a few that may be ready for an OC job. Unfortunately none of the Steelers offensive assistants are ready IMHO. 8)[/quote:29a5kjqb]

We need to search outside of the current family. We need imagination and guts. I don't mind losing games as long as we tried to do something that wasn't predictable and rehashed so many times. When most on this board can predict what the next play will be, that's pretty pathetic. Imagine what DC's are doing when they see our formation. "Oh no, not the seven step drop and heave someone completely covered."