PDA

View Full Version : Browns Could Unveil Fourth-String Quarterback Against....

costanza2k1
12-24-2008, 01:54 AM
http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2008/12/22/brow ... teelers-s/ (http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2008/12/22/browns-could-unveil-fourth-string-quarterback-against-steelers-s/)

http://www.blogcdn.com/nfl.fanhouse.com/media/2008/12/bruce-gradkowski-122208.jpg

Browns Could Unveil Fourth-String Quarterback Against Steelers Sunday

Ryan WilsonPosted Dec 22nd 2008 2:25PM by Ryan Wilson (author feed)
Filed under: Browns, Steelers, AFC North
Romeo Crennel will be a free man in six days. And if yesterday's emotionless post-game presser is any indication, he's already accepted his fate. For the sake of professionalism, however, Crennel will feign interest as the Browns prepare for the Steelers in a meaningless Week 17 affair.

Cleveland, 4-11 and fresh off getting shutout courtesy of the mighty Bengals, will face a Pittsburgh team that has already wrapped up a first-round bye. And while the Steelers will probably play backups for most of the afternoon, the Browns have nothing to lose by playing their starters. The ones left standing, anyway.

Tight end Kellen Winslow has missed three games with a high ankle sprain and the quarterback position has been FUBAR for some time. Derek Anderson was benched for Brady Quinn, who promptly broke a bone in his hand and landed on injured reserve. Anderson then blew up his knee, and now third-teamer Ken Dorsey looks iffy for the Sunday finale. Which means more Bruce Gradkowski for everybody!

Browns coach Romeo Crennel said during his weekly Monday press conference that Dorsey suffered a rib injury and a slight concussion in the 14-0 loss to the Bengals. The potential loss of Dorsey would mean the Browns, who have already lost Brady Quinn and Derek Anderson to season-ending injuries, would be relegated to Bruce Gradkowski, who was signed by the team on Dec. 2.

At this point, it make more sense to punt on first down and hope the Steelers special teams makes a mistake and the Browns can steal a few field goals. I suppose there's a non-zero probability that Cleveland can win this game, but barring an asteroid striking the Steelers' locker room prior to kickoff, I don't know how it'll happen.

Maybe the Browns' best chance (if you're not willing to accept the punt-on-first-down idea) is to let Josh Cribbs play quarterback. He manned the position in college and he's the team's one legit scoring threat. (Sorry, Brick Hands Edwards, it's true.)

SteelerNation1
12-24-2008, 10:06 AM
What a weird game this is going to be. If the Browns even score a point, I'm going to feel like we lost. :wft

RuthlessBurgher
12-24-2008, 11:10 AM
What a weird game this is going to be. If the Browns even score a point, I'm going to feel like we lost. :wft

Yeah, if the Bengals could shut them out last week, I will be ticked off if even our backup defensive players give up a FG in the second half against them.

Sugar
12-24-2008, 11:43 AM
I really believe that we should play our starters for this for at least the first half. This is the kind of hard sparring we need going into the playoffs. It's not nearly as hard as a playoff game, but it's tougher than practice.

The Browns are wounded severely but you don't want to lay an egg early and let them think they can win. After last weeks mistake-fest I don't want to see us flatten out after so many big games.

frankthetank1
12-24-2008, 12:41 PM
I really believe that we should play our starters for this for at least the first half. This is the kind of hard sparring we need going into the playoffs. It's not nearly as hard as a playoff game, but it's tougher than practice.

The Browns are wounded severely but you don't want to lay an egg early and let them think they can win. After last weeks mistake-fest I don't want to see us flatten out after so many big games.

im starting to agree with those thoughts more. at first hand i said rest everyone especially harrison and ben, but another season sweep of the browns would be very very sweet. imagine how awful it would be if they rested the starters and the stains won some how? ewwww

RuthlessBurgher
12-24-2008, 01:08 PM

im starting to agree with those thoughts more. at first hand i said rest everyone especially harrison and ben, but another season sweep of the browns would be very very sweet. imagine how awful it would be if they rested the starters and the stains won some how? ewwww

Our second stringers losing to the 4-11 new Browns in the final game this year would be an awful lot like our second stringers losing to the 4-11 old (Purple) Browns in the final game last year. The main difference is that we will be off the following week this season instead of having to play the Jags in the wild card round last year.

Starlifter
12-24-2008, 04:40 PM
what sucks with the death of the trib board is that back in training camp when all the stains trolls were crowing - i told them to enjoy their upcoming 4-12 season. no joke, i truly predicted 4-12 for the browns. i should have saved every post dang-it.....

Sugar
12-24-2008, 05:13 PM
:brownssuck

I just want our guys to prepare as they should and not have their heads in the wrong place. The one game at a time focus is more important now than ever, IMO.

TallyStiller
12-26-2008, 05:54 PM
Bruce Gradkowski started against the Steelers before. We beat the Tampa Bay Grudens 20 - 0 in '06. Gradkowski started most of that season for them after Son of Phil's spleen exploded in week 3 against Carolina. They decided that he wasn't the answer and went out and got Jeff Garcia... this is, to my knowledge, the first snap in a real game the guy has taken since he was benched late that season. We should already be in his head. Won't take much to get him looking like Charlie Frye did in the '07 opener for the ClownStains :brownssuck