PDA

View Full Version : Could Capizzi be the next Harrison?

BigRob
12-23-2008, 04:37 PM
I know that it a loooong shot, but could Jason Capizzi be the next James Harrison? Cut twice by the Steelers and eventually sticks to become an eventual starter?

costanza2k1
12-23-2008, 04:39 PM
I know that it a loooong shot, but could Jason Capizzi be the next James Harrison? Cut twice by the Steelers and eventually sticks to become an eventual starter?

That would be nice...anyone can be an equal or an upgrade over what we have right now for Willie Colon.

NW Steeler
12-23-2008, 08:11 PM

That would be nice...anyone can be an equal or an upgrade over what we have right now for Willie Colon.

Then why isn't Essex playing in his spot? It doesn't seem like any of these lineman we have drafted have really panned out (Colon, Essex, Kemo). Colon and Kemo are starting, but are they really just backups being forced into a starting spot?

ramblinjim
12-24-2008, 12:28 AM

This would be awesome, absolutely awesome...... :tt2

I don't see it though..... :cry:

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
12-24-2008, 09:52 AM
Capizzi was having a good camp before his foot injury. I think he would have made the 53 if he didn't get injured. The good news about Capizzi coming back is the versitility he brings. He played LT his whole career but the Steelers started using him at RT last year. He has shown adequate knee bend to be a productive RT in the run game. His pass blocking wasn't a question. So the good news is....Colon has to look over his shoulder. Capizzi knows the offense and maybe he can push Colon. I still think Colon is best suited to play RG but it scares ya to think he is the best option at RT in the passing game. His feet are making up for his shorter arms but on any given play he could be beat because of it...As we have seen!

Oviedo
12-24-2008, 10:06 AM
Capizzi was having a good camp before his foot injury. I think he would have made the 53 if he didn't get injured. The good news about Capizzi coming back is the versitility he brings. He played LT his whole career but the Steelers started using him at RT last year. He has shown adequate knee bend to be a productive RT in the run game. His pass blocking wasn't a question. So the good news is....Colon has to look over his shoulder. Capizzi knows the offense and maybe he can push Colon. I still think Colon is best suited to play RG but it scares ya to think he is the best option at RT in the passing game. His feet are making up for his shorter arms but on any given play he could be beat because of it...As we have seen!

I couldn't sgree more. I also thought Capizzi was going to make the 53 along with Mundy and Humpal if not for injuries.

Capizzi could be in the OL mix for next season at RT. Colon shouldn't be.

SteelerNation1
12-24-2008, 10:09 AM

I couldn't sgree more. I also thought Capizzi was going to make the 53 along with Mundy and Humpal if not for injuries.

Capizzi could be in the OL mix for next season at RT. Colon shouldn't be.
I think Capizzi could be like a Max Starks type of right tackle. Just a big body. Doesn't have to be a great pass blocker, and be able to run block a little.

SidSmythe
12-24-2008, 11:12 PM
Dreamin' is ok, but sometimes dreams come true.
Who knows

BradshawsHairdresser
12-25-2008, 03:12 PM
Dreamin' is ok, but sometimes dreams come true.
Who knows

Like dreamin' that we will advance to the Super Bowl with BA as OC. . .
There's a chance it could happen...sometimes dreams come true...

buckeyehoppy
12-25-2008, 05:54 PM
First off, I am glad Capizzi is back on the squad.

He needs to be given a long look at RT for next season, as the Steelers need to move Colon inside where he belongs. The Colon at RT experiment, I think we can all agree, has been declared a failure, even if it needed to happen out of necessity.

He certainly has the size to play outside and he is, from what I've seen, a more than able pass protector. If he does emerge as a starting candidate next season, that would be a huge load off of all of our minds, IMO.

And what of Parquet? I mean, we never talk about him but he has been on the roster all season. Do the Steelers have a plan for this guy? He's listed as a LG on the roster right now. Are they thinking of him as insurance if Kemo leaves? Perhaps as a BU to the guy they draft? What about him?

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
12-26-2008, 11:01 AM
First off, I am glad Capizzi is back on the squad.

He needs to be given a long look at RT for next season, as the Steelers need to move Colon inside where he belongs. The Colon at RT experiment, I think we can all agree, has been declared a failure, even if it needed to happen out of necessity.

He certainly has the size to play outside and he is, from what I've seen, a more than able pass protector. If he does emerge as a starting candidate next season, that would be a huge load off of all of our minds, IMO.

And what of Parquet? I mean, we never talk about him but he has been on the roster all season. Do the Steelers have a plan for this guy? He's listed as a LG on the roster right now. Are they thinking of him as insurance if Kemo leaves? Perhaps as a BU to the guy they draft? What about him?

He hasn't seen the field enough to get a fair evaluation. From what I did see of him, his feet were not that great. Probably why they moved him inside because he played LT for Miss and he is built like a OT. He plays nasty but I don't know if he could make it at guard in this offense. I don't see him improving enough at pulling and blocking in space. His height could be a problem if he doesn't learn knee bend. Alot going against him to make it. Probably a career back-up...At best!!!

steelblood
12-26-2008, 11:45 AM
Two years ago, he was very good in the preseason blocking for Russell with the third stringers. I know he was playing against scrubs, but he was dominating. He earned a longer look with the second squad, but never got it. Hopefully, they see something in him and are using Marvel's move to the IR to secure his services for the future. I believe signing him makes him an ERFA for us after the season.

BigRob
12-26-2008, 12:02 PM
This is how I am seeing the O-line for next year shaping up, because we are not going to break the bank on any O-line FA. Dan just borrowed 250 million to buy out his brothers and they are going to be even more cash poor. That is more of the issue than the cap every has been:

LT-Max Starks/Trai Essex- One of these guys will be re-signed and whoever it is will be get the first shot at starting LT.
LG- Willie Colon/Kenall Simmons/Darnell Stapleton/Rookie- Willie will get a decent RFA tender. Simmons is still under contract.
C-Hartwig/Stapleton
RG-Kendall Simmons/Darnell Stapleton/Rookie
RT-Tony Hills/Willie Colon/Rooki

Unfortunately, I think you are looking at tis combination for next year. Depending on where we pick we could look at the following O-Line in the first round:

Alex Mack-California (The guy I want if we are picking at the end of the 1st)
Duke Robinson-Oklahoma
Jason Smith-Baylor
Max Unger-Oregon
William Beatty-Connecticut