PDA

View Full Version : Do the players care? (towel)

Jigawatts
12-22-2008, 03:35 PM
Does anyone think that the Steelers players really care that the Titans stomped on
the terrible towel? As a fan, that's a full-fledged act of disrespect and I think that
all Titans players should be extradited to Singapore and caned. Or worse, be sent to
Detroit.

But do the players see it that way?

NorCal-Steeler
12-22-2008, 03:39 PM
I cant speak for the players but i would assume anytime you mess with a team mascot,colors,home feild or any other icon that represents your team/city its gonna on like Donkey Kong...

Jigawatts
12-22-2008, 03:41 PM
I cant speak for the players but i would assume anytime you mess with a team mascot,colors,home feild or any other icon that represents your team/city its gonna on like Donkey Kong...

I'd like to think so. :tt2

MeetJoeGreene
12-22-2008, 04:08 PM
From a purist perspective, if we play the Titans again, we shouldn't need ANY extra motivatio - the winner goes to the Super Bowl.

However, I hope it makes the players just a tad bit angrier. Maybe hit Lenwhale a bit harder and bruise his ribs.

JAR
12-22-2008, 04:17 PM
Some Steelers thought several Titans made mistakes by mistreating the Terrible Towel at the end of the game. Running back LenDale White stomped on one, as did linebacker Keith Bullock. Defensive end Jevon Kearse wiped his nose on one.

"We know the last time an opposing team played with our towel what happened," Steelers linebacker Larry Foote said.

"T.J. did kind of the same thing and you see where they went," Hines Ward said.

-------------------
From post game interviews...

When James Harrison was asked about the towel stomp... He said "Laugh now, cry later."

Deshea Townsend.
And you think the players are going to forget this?

Wolfhound45
12-22-2008, 04:19 PM
It mattered to George Teague.

http://cowboys.beloblog.com/archives/teague.jpg

To some players, it does not matter at all.

To Silverback, I think it matters a lot.

feltdizz
12-22-2008, 04:20 PM
Hell yeah... it's one thing to say you beat us down.. or saying the Steelers are soft.. but to stomp on THE symbol of Steeler football? Even though it was a yellow rag.. it was straight up and down disrespectful.

RKSteel
12-22-2008, 04:35 PM

The Legend of James Harrison grows. :Bow

Jigawatts
12-22-2008, 04:46 PM

Yeah, then they signed the guy a few years later.

RuthlessBurgher
12-22-2008, 04:48 PM

Players care. Soulless empty vessels like Jerry Jones do not.

proudpittsburgher
12-22-2008, 05:02 PM
they care, just a bunch of them are not going to talk about it now. Honestly, i really wish they kept it bottled up. Until after the game (AFC title game that is. :)

flippy
12-22-2008, 05:57 PM
I liked Ryan Clark's response. I'm gonna try to hit a guy in the mouth regardless.

This team shouldn't need extra motivation.

NW Steeler
12-22-2008, 08:00 PM
It was a dumb move regardless. Why rub it in a teams nose, knowing that you may play them again in the playoffs? Lendale White is a fat tub of crap and I can only hope that we get to punish him on January 18th. Then again, The Rats may be playing in our house that day instead.

AngryAsian
12-22-2008, 08:17 PM

Players care. Soulless empty vessels like Jerry Jones do not.

Absolutely... JJ would sell his mom if he new it would get him closer to another Lombardi. As for the original question, Jiga. The Towel is symbolic of our historic franchise... I think the players care about that.

steeld95
12-22-2008, 08:23 PM
they definitely care....look how much we care as fans...can you imagine if you were a player how much more you would care??

JAR
12-22-2008, 08:27 PM
Willie also cares..

http://kdka.com/video/?id=50626@kdka.dayport.com

Wolfhound45
12-22-2008, 08:42 PM
If the Steelers did not care, then why didn't tough guy LenDale White walk up to them in pre-game warmups and throw a Terrible Towel on the ground and stomp on it? Because he knew he would not live to talk about it. Coward.

Remember how Tom Brady* played down the comments from our safety last year? Until the game was over with. Then he let it be know how he really felt.

Trust me, they care.

Jigawatts
12-22-2008, 08:51 PM
I'll give our guys the benefit of the doubt because maybe they didn't see footage of the
towel stomping or nose wiping right away, but they shook hands with those bastages after
the game. :nono

stlrz d
12-22-2008, 09:59 PM
Cowher used it as a motivator when TJ did it.

The players responded.

NorCal-Steeler
12-22-2008, 10:00 PM
Fisher unfazed but Cowher irked by Terrible Towel stomp
ESPN.com news services

Updated: December 22, 2008, 6:49 PM ET
Comment
Email
Print

Bulluck And Titans Make Statement In Win Long after Tennessee dismantled Pittsburgh to clinch the top seed in the AFC, Titans coach Jeff Fisher finally saw the tape of players LenDale White and Keith Bulluck stomping on the Steelers' signature symbol, the Terrible Towel.

Fisher didn't see any news value in the antic, but it hit a nerve in one former Steelers coach.

"Why would it be a big deal? That if we play [the Steelers] again, they'll play harder? I don't think so," Fisher told ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen. "They always play hard.

"I mean, I know we weren't happy to have 10,000 people in our stadium waving those yellow towels. It's a tremendous commentary on the great fan base the Steelers have, but I'm sure our guys didn't like it. They're a good football team. They have our respect, and I'm sure we have their respect. But this isn't a big deal to me."

Not for Bill Cowher. A CBS-TV studio analyst since resigning as Steelers coach nearly two years ago, Cowher became animated on the air while watching Bulluck and White trample the towel after Tennessee's 31-14 victory in Nashville clinched the No. 1 seed and home-field advantage throughout the playoffs.

"No disrespect to the Pittsburgh Steelers organization or the players on that team," Bulluck said Monday on "ESPN First Take," referring to the towel stomp. "It's not anything personal or disrespectful. It's just the attitude you've got to take" in a game of such magnitude.

The moment produced a flashback for Cowher, who was well known for his competitiveness and respect-the-game mentality while coaching Pittsburgh from 1992 to 2006.

"That looks like a pregame talk the night before to me," Cowher said, his eyes lighting up and his voice rising. "If [we'd] meet in the postseason, I know what I'm pulling out the night before the game."

NFL.com Video

Watch highlights from the Tennessee Titans' 31-14 win over the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Cowher admonished White by saying, "You've got to learn. ... I wouldn't do this, I wouldn't go there," and said Bulluck should know better because "you are a veteran, Bulluck."

Cowher's implied message to the Titans: There's a way to win in the NFL and that wasn't it, and you might regret the sideshow should the Steelers return to Nashville for the AFC Championship Game in four weeks.

The Titans' lack of respect for the Steelers' symbol almost seemed enough to motivate Cowher to return to the sideline, if only for one game. Almost.

"I don't care, I don't care. ... That's just our stand," Bulluck said. "Anybody that's going to come through here in the playoffs, we plan to stomp them out."

Still, Cowher emphasized, "It's one game, it's one game," and the Titans' victory will have no effect should the teams stage a rematch.

Cowher was speaking from experience.

Three years ago, Bengals receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh wiped his shoes with a Terrible Towel after Cincinnati won 38-31 in Pittsburgh in early December to all but clinch the AFC North. When the teams met again a month later in Cincinnati, the Steelers -- motivated by Houshmandzadeh's shoe-wiping display -- won 31-17 for the first of their three conference road playoff wins that led to the Super Bowl.

Afterward, a revved-up Cowher was caught by NFL Films mocking the Bengals' "Who Dey" chant in the locker room by yelling, "We Dey, We Dey, We Dey!"

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.