PDA

View Full Version : Titans Game: Aberration or Playoff Preview?

BradshawsHairdresser
12-22-2008, 12:23 PM
I'd like to write that game off by saying a bunch of our players just had a bad day.
But I've got this deep, nagging feeling that come playoff time, we'll see more of the same.
Especially since we can't seem to be able to generate a running game, it's difficult to see us having lots of success in the post-season.

Please give me some hope--post your rational arguments as to why you think this team could make the Super Bowl.

Jooser
12-22-2008, 12:27 PM
I'd like to write that game off by saying a bunch of our players just had a bad day.
But I've got this deep, nagging feeling that come playoff time, we'll see more of the same.
Especially since we can't seem to be able to generate a running game, it's difficult to see us having lots of success in the post-season.

Please give me some hope--post your rational arguments as to why you think this team could make the Super Bowl.

The only way we see any success is if the defense steps up and completely shuts down the other teams. I've all but given up on BA, Ben, and the offense in general this season. It seems to take defense oriented coaches time to put together a potent offense, as was the case with Cowher when he first took over as HC. I'd love to be surprised, but our O could be the death of us come playoff time.

steelz09
12-22-2008, 12:27 PM

Don't want to give you false hope :)

How many teams without an adequate running game are successful in the playoffs? Not many..

Steelhere10
12-22-2008, 12:33 PM

Don't want to give you false hope :)

How many teams without an adequate running game are successful in the playoffs? Not many..remember the 2005 Steelers the running game was non existent in that playoff run.

feltdizz
12-22-2008, 12:44 PM
I could see us being one and done... but losing to a 12-2 team on their field after the schedule we have had doesn't really scare me.

It's just seeing which Ben will show up in the playoffs. Turnover Ben or Big Ben.

Steeler Mafia
12-22-2008, 12:51 PM
The big problem is that if we do see them again, it will not be easier the second time as Albert Haynesworth and Kyle Vanden Bosch will most likely be back. If we can't stop some rookie on a 4 man rush, then we are in serious trouble when Haynesworth gets in there.

williar
12-22-2008, 01:40 PM
I think was a playoff preview. I see one and done. I know we all want to be optimistic, but I am also a realist. Even while we were winning those string of close victories, chargers, cowboys, ravens, and even the patriots (benificiary of all those turnovers), our offense really haven't done much to give anyone any hope. After all these games, we haven't really improved much. As we get into these tough, playoff battles, I cannot see us winning anything with this non-existent offense. It is painful to watch! Unless our defense can hold the opponent under ten points, we might have a chance.

SidSmythe
12-22-2008, 01:44 PM
Colts and Ravens both have the ability to go on the road and beat anyone. BUT the Steelers and Titans at home will be tough to beat as opposed to the AFC East champ & the AFC West Champ.

NW Steeler
12-22-2008, 02:12 PM
What we saw yeaterday is what many of us feared what would happen if our d doesn't play lights out. Throw in FOUR turnovers by Ben and you have an assbeating. Does anyone think that maybe we were playing a little vanilla thinking ahead? Since we are not unbeatable, I'd have rather lost this game if we go into a rematch. I think we will perform much better the next time. As always, our inept O-line and horrible OC leave me with a lot of doubts. Can we really win the SB with this o-line and offense? If we do make it, obviously we will be carried by our defense.

Sugar
12-22-2008, 10:22 PM
It was the cover curse. We were on the covers of both SI and ESPN the Mag, we were simply dooooooooomed!

RuthlessBurgher
12-22-2008, 10:33 PM
post your rational arguments as to why you think this team could make the Super Bowl.

I'll give you 11 reasons why this team could make the Super Bowl:

91-98-99-56-50-51-92-20-43-25-24

As long as the offense does not hand the ball to the opponent on a silver platter multiple times, I don't think that defense will allow this team to lose in the playoffs. We are battle tested. Other teams have faced cream puff schedules by comparison and will not be as prepared for the rigors of playoff football against a defense that can only be described as a force of nature.

buckeyehoppy
12-23-2008, 02:31 AM
post your rational arguments as to why you think this team could make the Super Bowl.

I'll give you 11 reasons why this team could make the Super Bowl:

91-98-99-56-50-51-92-20-43-25-24

As long as the offense does not hand the ball to the opponent on a silver platter multiple times, I don't think that defense will allow this team to lose in the playoffs. We are battle tested. Other teams have faced cream puff schedules by comparison and will not be as prepared for the rigors of playoff football against a defense that can only be described as a force of nature.

RB: I can really only hope you are right on this. And why shouldn't you be? The Steelers D is a force of nature (sans the Titans game).

But the D will need, IMO, to step it up one more notch if that is even possible and force even more takeaways if the Steelers will make a true run at Lombardi #6. They will also need to score off turnovers more frequently.

I have said countless times that these Steelers are talented enough to win it all and I still believe that.

But the silver lining in an early exit is that someone will have to take the fall for the loss with a D this imposing. We will see what our HC is made of after the playoffs if there is, indeed, a premature exit. He will need, to be sure, to be willing to throw BA under the bus and bring in someone who will design an offense that will include all 11 players and not just Big Ben.

stlrz d
12-23-2008, 07:34 AM
Aberration. Generic game plan + Ben playing "loose" * multiple turnovers = loss.