PDA

View Full Version : Who would you like to see on Sunday???

Oviedo
12-22-2008, 11:26 AM
I'm sure that many of the starters will be resting or limited with a totally meaningless game. I'd like to see the following players get playing time just to see how they do:

1. Bruce Davis--need to rest both Harriuson and Woodley
2. Sweed--get him lots of reps and lets se what he can do
3. Tony Hills--I'd like to see if he is an option somewhere on the OL next year. Put him at RT since Colon totally sucks.
4. Dennis Dixon--I'm sure Leftwich will start, but late I'd like to see Dixon out there.
5. Gary Russell--I'd give him 20+ carries next Sunday and just pound the rock with him and see what happens.

I'm sure the Browns are not coming in and laying down, but hopefully we can beat them early and get to see some of these other guys.

frankthetank1
12-22-2008, 11:55 AM
im with ya, i want to see all the young guys next sunday. sweed should start, russell should get most of the carries and i definetly do not want to see harrison play. yesterday scared the sh$t out of me seeing him walk to the locker room in the first half

steelz09
12-22-2008, 12:00 PM
I'm sure that many of the starters will be resting or limited with a totally meaningless game. I'd like to see the following players get playing time just to see how they do:

3. Tony Hills--I'd like to see if he is an option somewhere on the OL next year. Put him at RT since Colon totally sucks.
4. Dennis Dixon--I'm sure Leftwich will start, but late I'd like to see Dixon out there.
5. Gary Russell--I'd give him 20+ carries next Sunday and just pound the rock with him and see what happens.

I'm sure the Browns are not coming in and laying down, but hopefully we can beat them early and get to see some of these other guys.

All of the above. Specifically...

Bruce Davis -- I hope he's gained some strength/weight because he's WAY to small and looks lost out there. I think he'll be alright though.. Our defense is tough to grasp and LB's can thrive in Lebeau's system.

Sweed -- Same thing. He's just too weak right now. I really think Sweed will turn out to be a great deep threat for us. He needs to gain a little strength and stop thinking so much. I truely believe the talent in there but he's over complicating it. He just needs to go out there and PLAY. He has good hands but he surely isn't displaying it due to a lack of concentration. You don't suddenly go from college (and having great hands) to the NFL and forget how to catch. He'll be alright in the future, I just wish he get to see the field more and display what we know he is capable of.

Tony Hills -- This fella is who I want to see most. Does the FO think he is our future at LT? He displays so much better feet and athleticism than Starks and Colon its unbelievable (just in preseason) but is he ready to takeover next year? At which position, RT or LT. If so, do we draft a RT and start him immediately over Colon (because I agree, Colon has no business being a tackle in this league). If Hills is the RT of the future, do we risk drafting a LT in the first and start him immediately in replacement of Starks and Smith? Why not, right? All the teams that drafted tackles in front of us last year are starting. Starks does NOT deserve big money and Smith's career is pretty much over because of constant injuries.

Dennis Dixon -- Yes, but I would have liked to see him during THIS year for trick plays (ala Randall El)

Gary Russell -- DOUBLE YES. I think Moore and Russel should get more carries at the expense of Parkers'. I think rotating these guys more frequently would really help our run game.

Oviedo
12-22-2008, 12:14 PM

All of the above. Specifically...

Bruce Davis -- I hope he's gained some strength/weight because he's WAY to small and looks lost out there. I think he'll be alright though.. Our defense is tough to grasp and LB's can thrive in Lebeau's system.

Sweed -- Same thing. He's just too weak right now. I really think Sweed will turn out to be a great deep threat for us. He needs to gain a little strength and stop thinking so much. I truely believe the talent in there but he's over complicating it. He just needs to go out there and PLAY. He has good hands but he surely isn't displaying it due to a lack of concentration. You don't suddenly go from college (and having great hands) to the NFL and forget how to catch. He'll be alright in the future, I just wish he get to see the field more and display what we know he is capable of.

Tony Hills -- This fella is who I want to see most. Does the FO think he is our future at LT? He displays so much better feet and athleticism than Starks and Colon its unbelievable (just in preseason) but is he ready to takeover next year? At which position, RT or LT. If so, do we draft a RT and start him immediately over Colon (because I agree, Colon has no business being a tackle in this league). If Hills is the RT of the future, do we risk drafting a LT in the first and start him immediately in replacement of Starks and Smith? Why not, right? All the teams that drafted tackles in front of us last year are starting. Starks does NOT deserve big money and Smith's career is pretty much over because of constant injuries.

Dennis Dixon -- Yes, but I would have liked to see him during THIS year for trick plays (ala Randall El)

Gary Russell -- DOUBLE YES. I think Moore and Russel should get more carries at the expense of Parkers'. I think rotating these guys more frequently would really help our run game.

Totally agree. Hills is really the wildcard in the whole discussion about what to do in the off season with the OL. IMO, the best scenario is that he can step in and play LT. IMO, the most likely scenario is we need to get a FA LT or resign Starks and let Hills get experience at RT. Colon needs to move inside or become a back up. His pass blocking is terrible.

Gary Russell -- DOUBLE YES. I think Moore and Russel should get more carries at the expense of Parkers'. I think rotating these guys more frequently would really help our run game

One qualification. Make this game a try out for McHugh and Davis as FB. Put a FB in front of Russell and let him pound the ball. If neither can do a great job then get a FB in the off season. My choice is trade for Owen Schmitt from Seattle. He is a better fit here than in Seattle's offense.

ghettoscott
12-22-2008, 12:37 PM
Anthony Smith - dude, has been in the dog house all year...real intereseted in seeing this kid. I still think he has potential.. :2c

Oviedo
12-22-2008, 02:00 PM
Anthony Smith - dude, has been in the dog house all year...real intereseted in seeing this kid. I still think he has potential.. :2c

I'm OK with never seeing Smith. I just don't think he has the smarts to be successful, particularly at free safety. He may be a decent SS but he has no future with this team in that role.

Jigawatts
12-22-2008, 02:11 PM
Gary Russell.

Our running game needs something, anything to get a boost. I'd like to see what he
could do. Against the stains probably wouldn't be a good measurement of his ability,
so maybe it's just better to let Willie run and gain some confidence. Then again, the
o-line is so bad Cleveland will probably holds us to 32 yards rushing no matter who
carries the ball.

I'm so confused. :(

Does anybody thing Mendy would make a difference right now.

Couldn't be any worse.

Oviedo
12-22-2008, 02:37 PM
Gary Russell.

Our running game needs something, anything to get a boost. I'd like to see what he
could do. Against the stains probably wouldn't be a good measurement of his ability,
so maybe it's just better to let Willie run and gain some confidence. Then again, the
o-line is so bad Cleveland will probably holds us to 32 yards rushing no matter who
carries the ball.

Couldn't be any worse.

I think Mendy would be making a huge difference right now. He was running with power and decisivenes when he got hurt.

SteelerNation1
12-22-2008, 02:39 PM
I would like to see BR7 and I'd like to see him not throw any picks and not fumble the ball. That is all.
:brownssuck

Oviedo
12-22-2008, 02:45 PM
I would like to see BR7 and I'd like to see him not throw any picks and not fumble the ball. That is all.
:brownssuck

I betting BR7 is the emergency QB on Sunday. No way Tomlin risks him.

The good and bad is that ben gets healthy but he doesn't exactly light the world on fire after extended lay offs.

Sugar
12-22-2008, 02:50 PM
I guess I'm in the minority here, but I say play the starters and keep playing them unless the game gets out of hand. If we have a bye-week then that will be plenty of rest, IMO, and I'd rather the boys not become sluggish- especially the Offense.

That said, I'd still like to see a lot of Russell in anything resembling a short yardage situation.

phillyesq
12-22-2008, 03:43 PM

I'd like to see all these guys play, but I don't have high hopes for Hills. From the little I saw of him in the preseason, I wasn't impressed.

Russell especially -- I'd like to see him get a lot of work. It would be nice to get a better idea of what the Steelers have with him.

I'll also second the idea of letting McHugh and Davis rotate some at FB. IMO, Davis has already demonstrated that he doesn't have what it takes to be a lead blocker. As for McHugh, he has blocked poorly at times as a TE, but I've liked what I've seen of him blocking out of the FB position.

NorCal-Steeler
12-22-2008, 03:48 PM
I'd like to see Timmons start as well as Smith at saftey

MeetJoeGreene
12-22-2008, 04:10 PM
Gary Russell.

carries the ball.

Couldn't be any worse.

I think Mendy would be making a huge difference right now. He was running with power and decisivenes when he got hurt.

:Agree

Jigawatts
12-22-2008, 04:38 PM
I'd like to see Timmons start as well as Smith at saftey

What happened to Timmons yesterday? He made a huge play with Harrison out and I
didn't see much of him after that.

steelz09
12-22-2008, 08:30 PM

I'd like to see all these guys play, but I don't have high hopes for Hills. From the little I saw of him in the preseason, I wasn't impressed.

Russell especially -- I'd like to see him get a lot of work. It would be nice to get a better idea of what the Steelers have with him.

I'll also second the idea of letting McHugh and Davis rotate some at FB. IMO, Davis has already demonstrated that he doesn't have what it takes to be a lead blocker. As for McHugh, he has blocked poorly at times as a TE, but I've liked what I've seen of him blocking out of the FB position.

Philly,

I'm curious, what out of curiosity did you not like of Hills in preseason. I saw very few negatives with him in the preseason but maybe I missed something. I was primarily looking at pass blocking though and thought he did extremely well. Now, of course, thats against 2nd and 3rd stringers but hey, he has to start from somewhere. James Harrison, Ward, et al all started that way.

Regards,

J

NorCal-Steeler
12-22-2008, 08:50 PM
I'd also like to see Dixon in the slash/wildcat role.

TallyStiller
12-23-2008, 07:47 PM
I guess I'm in the minority here, but I say play the starters and keep playing them unless the game gets out of hand. If we have a bye-week then that will be plenty of rest, IMO, and I'd rather the boys not become sluggish- especially the Offense.

That said, I'd still like to see a lot of Russell in anything resembling a short yardage situation.

I'm with you. The offense has looked absolutely pitiful the majority of the time coming down the stretch. 56 minutes of utter futility in Baltimore. 53 minutes of atrocious football against Dallas. Kept out of the end zone by a San Diego D that's been getting carved up like a Christmas ham for most of the season... they need to build some continuity and confidence against the closest thing to a college style Duke/Vanderbilt/Northwestern/Baylor type layup the NFL offers. Yeah, it's a preseason game, but it should be the 3rd preseason game, where the starters see time into the 2nd half.

We've faced three of the league's top 5 defenses the last 3 weeks and struggled - let's find a rhythm again on O while putting a big number on the home side of the scoreboard against the Stains. Nice Christmas present for the folks back in Clevehole. :brownssuck Plus, it does more to get us ready for the playoffs than taking 3 weeks off between games.

SidSmythe
12-23-2008, 07:52 PM
I wanna see the following:

OFFENSE
~ Hines get 1,000 yards receiving
~ Sweed get a few jump balls
~ Russell get over 20 carries
~ Dixon get involved (give playoffs teams something to think about at least)

DEFENSE
~ Anthony Smith start at FS
~ Timmons to play the whole game
~ Farrior out b/c he's trying to add 10 lbs. of muscle to his frame for the playoffs
~ Harrison to get one more sack