PDA

View Full Version : Sweed

NorthCoast
12-22-2008, 10:15 AM
I did not see the whole game so others may comment.

What's with Sweed on his PI? It looked like he had perfect position to make the catch and he actually just tackled the DB as the ball approaches. On top of that it looked like he still could have caught the ball but didn't.

There are many that raved about Sweed when we drafted him. I did not know much about him, but I am concerned that he might be another Nate with inconsistent play. We desperately need a sure-handed, strong YAC receiver to replace Hines in a couple of years and unfortunately I don't see this guy on the roster at the moment. Don't be surprised if we draft another WR next year.

Iron Shiek
12-22-2008, 10:21 AM

What's with Sweed on his PI? It looked like he had perfect position to make the catch and he actually just tackled the DB as the ball approaches. On top of that it looked like he still could have caught the ball but didn't.

There are many that raved about Sweed when we drafted him. I did not know much about him, but I am concerned that he might be another Nate with inconsistent play. We desperately need a sure-handed, strong YAC receiver to replace Hines in a couple of years and unfortunately I don't see this guy on the roster at the moment. Don't be surprised if we draft another WR next year.

Just like Timmons, he's a bust I suppose. :roll:

Perhaps it takes some younger guys a while to adjust to NFL life. Its a way different game than college. You can't expect every rookie to be Adrian Peterson. Granted there has been a rash of good rookies the last two years, especially this year, but there's what 4 or 5 out of the 250 drafted. You are asking much out of some of these guys.

I fully expect him to win the 4th or 3rd spot next year and continue his development.

phillyesq
12-22-2008, 10:37 AM
I'm not worried about Sweed yet. It seems that WRs, and especially big WRs, take a while to adjust. Burress was awful in his rookie year, but he turned out ok.

I think that the Steelers will add another WR next year -- a small, quick guy to play the slot, catch third downs, and return kicks and punts. But I don't think that there is a problem with Sweed.

Oviedo
12-22-2008, 10:44 AM
I think Sweed will be fine. Like many WRs he came from an offense that was designed to get him the ball and probably was allowed to take a lot of liberties with what he did. Now he is probably in a very disciplained system where he is being asked to do much more.

There is just a huge learning curve coming into the NFL. I always have low expectations that we get anything from rookies which is why I don't think drafting a lot of OL next April will even begin to fix the OL.

Give these kids times to learn and our young players will be fine.

RuthlessBurgher
12-22-2008, 11:10 AM
Other than Ben, I can't recall a Steeler rookie that set the league on fire. Within a year or two, however, the talent that our scouts saw starts to blossom. Just like how the Timmons from last year looks nothing at all like the the Timmons we are seeing now.

As for drafting a WR, I think the only way that happens is if there is a dynamic returner available in the middle rounds who also happens to play WR too. Since we have more of a need for a return guy than a wideout, that rook would be a special teamer first and a depth WR second.

Oviedo
12-22-2008, 11:19 AM
Other than Ben, I can't recall a Steeler rookie that set the league on fire. Within a year or two, however, the talent that our scouts saw starts to blossom. Just like how the Timmons from last year looks nothing at all like the the Timmons we are seeing now.

As for drafting a WR, I think the only way that happens is if there is a dynamic returner available in the middle rounds who also happens to play WR too. Since we have more of a need for a return guy than a wideout, that rook would be a special teamer first and a depth WR second.

To play devil's advocate. If Derrick Williams or Percy Harvin are sitting at #32 when we draft ( :wink: Super Bowl Champs) then I think they would be tough to pass on. Both are great returners and that is a critical arrea of need. They would get more touches and have more opportunities for big plays that would help this team than any OL or DL we would draft with that same pick and would be unlikely to crack the starting line up.

BDESteel
12-22-2008, 11:39 AM
I think Ben should take some responsibility for getting him on the field more. Afterall, he did want a big reciever. Now that he's got his wish I think he should work with this guy tirelessly to get him up to speed and in the game. It's a shame he's seen the little playing time he's gotten this year.

Djfan
12-22-2008, 11:40 AM
FWP raised a lot of eyebrows.

Flasteel
12-22-2008, 11:59 AM

To play devil's advocate. If Derrick Williams or Percy Harvin are sitting at #32 when we draft ( :wink: Super Bowl Champs) then I think they would be tough to pass on. Both are great returners and that is a critical arrea of need. They would get more touches and have more opportunities for big plays that would help this team than any OL or DL we would draft with that same pick and would be unlikely to crack the starting line up.

C'Mon O, you know Percy Harvin doesn't return kicks or punts. I'm not saying that he can't, I'm just saying he has never done it at UF...that a Brandon James thing.

MeetJoeGreene
12-22-2008, 12:11 PM

I am a PSU homer and I don't know that I would draft Derrick Williams in the first round. I see him as 2 or 3 round pick.

Honestly, I bet the Skins cut ARE. And I would sign him to a 1 year contract as a 4th receiver, etc.

Our draft this year better be OL, OL, DL,DL,

flippy
12-22-2008, 12:14 PM
I'd like to see Sweed and Nate start next week.

BDESteel
12-22-2008, 12:26 PM
I'd like to see Sweed and Nate start next week.
I think Ben and Holmes need to work on their communication more. Maybe have them play the entire second half.

Jooser
12-22-2008, 12:32 PM
I can think of one very talented guy in particular who I think can come in here next year and contribute right away. Pat White (WVU) has incredible speed and tackle breaking capability. He can pass, so he offers the slash dimension as well. And above all, when recently interviewed by ESPN about where he'd like to see himself in the NFL, he said without question, he desperately wants to be a Steeler!!!! :tt2

[youtube:20si56db]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/X0YPDFmcp5Y&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/X0YPDFmcp5Y&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube:20si56db]

NCAA all-time leader in rush yards, the guy is just sick in the open field.

frankthetank1
12-22-2008, 12:57 PM
I can think of one very talented guy in particular who I think can come in here next year and contribute right away. Pat White (WVU) has incredible speed and tackle breaking capability. He can pass, so he offers the slash dimension as well. And above all, when recently interviewed by ESPN about where he'd like to see himself in the NFL, he said without question, he desperately wants to be a Steeler!!!! :tt2

[youtube:1ro6c4s4]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/X0YPDFmcp5Y&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/X0YPDFmcp5Y&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube:1ro6c4s4]

NCAA all-time leader in rush yards, the guy is just sick in the open field.

pat white?? why would the steelers want him? as a wr? they definetly do not need another qb just like dixon. drafting white would be a very dumb pick. a player like white is the last thing the steelers need. i doubt he will do much in the nfl

Jooser
12-22-2008, 01:04 PM
Frank, the guy's not going to be a QB in the NFL. The Steelers could use this guy as a WR. He's a homerun hitter. He'll turn heads in the NFL, just like Steve Slaton did in Houston this year.

SidSmythe
12-22-2008, 01:32 PM
it takes bigger WR's a lot longer to adjust to the NFL. They have to learn how to position themselves and fight off strong CB's.

I actually liked what I saw yesterday on that play (except he dropped the ball).
But he did get his Hands UP and he fought for position.

Some WR's just tick me off cuz they don't get their hands up and they aren't fighters. Sweed just has to get better at it.

Oviedo
12-22-2008, 02:11 PM
it takes bigger WR's a lot longer to adjust to the NFL. They have to learn how to position themselves and fight off strong CB's.

I actually liked what I saw yesterday on that play (except he dropped the ball).
But he did get his Hands UP and he fought for position.

Some WR's just tick me off cuz they don't get their hands up and they aren't fighters. Sweed just has to get better at it.

don't get their hands up and they aren't fighters

i.e. one Mr Nate Washington.

NW Steeler
12-22-2008, 02:43 PM
I'm not worried about Sweed yet. It seems that WRs, and especially big WRs, take a while to adjust. Burress was awful in his rookie year, but he turned out ok.

I think that the Steelers will add another WR next year -- a small, quick guy to play the slot, catch third downs, and return kicks and punts. But I don't think that there is a problem with Sweed.

I don't think that a lot of people remember Plex's rookie year. He looked like a big time bust. He was friggin' skinny and weak too. He turned out ok. Well, other than the fact that he is a malcontent, a whiner, is selfish, and DUMB. Remember when he finally caught a meaningful pass in that Baltimore game, fell down, got up and spiked a LIVE ball? Sheesh.

ANyway, hopefully Sweed develops physically and talentwise like Buress.

RuthlessBurgher
12-22-2008, 02:55 PM

I don't think that a lot of people remember Plex's rookie year. He looked like a big time bust. He was friggin' skinny and weak too. He turned out ok. Well, other than the fact that he is a malcontent, a whiner, is selfish, and DUMB. Remember when he finally caught a meaningful pass in that Baltimore game, fell down, got up and spiked a LIVE ball? Sheesh.

Just not mentally like Burress. Keep the firearms away from the kid.

And I think Cheddar Plax spiked a live ball in a game against Jacksonville, not Baltimore.

NW Steeler
12-22-2008, 03:00 PM

And I think Cheddar Plax spiked a live ball in a game against Jacksonville, not Baltimore.

Yeah, that's why i emphasized developing physically and talentwise. Definitely not mentally. Wasn't he a bit of a headcase coming out of Michigan State? What's up with the "Cheddar Plax"? That sounds funny as hell, but I don't know what it means. For some reason I thought that the infamous spike was against Baltimore, but maybe you are right.

frankthetank1
12-22-2008, 03:10 PM
[quote=phillyesq]I'm not worried about Sweed yet. It seems that WRs, and especially big WRs, take a while to adjust. Burress was awful in his rookie year, but he turned out ok.

Yeah, that's why i emphasized developing physically and talentwise. Definitely not mentally. Wasn't he a bit of a headcase coming out of Michigan State? What's up with the "Cheddar Plax"? That sounds funny as hell, but I don't know what it means. For some reason I thought that the infamous spike was against Baltimore, but maybe you are right.[/quote:1sfjxqjg]

haha i love the cheddar plax. it is a reference from the movie 8 mile. eminem's friend cheddar bob shoots himself in the leg on accident so thats why so many people are calling him cheddar plax

frankthetank1
12-22-2008, 03:18 PM
Frank, the guy's not going to be a QB in the NFL. The Steelers could use this guy as a WR. He's a homerun hitter. He'll turn heads in the NFL, just like Steve Slaton did in Houston this year.

well i didnt think kordell would ever be a qb in the nfl and look how that turned out. i would be shocked if they drafted any wr's, except for a return man

Leper Friend
12-22-2008, 08:29 PM

Just like Timmons, he's a bust I suppose. :roll:

Perhaps it takes some younger guys a while to adjust to NFL life. Its a way different game than college. You can't expect every rookie to be Adrian Peterson. Granted there has been a rash of good rookies the last two years, especially this year, but there's what 4 or 5 out of the 250 drafted. You are asking much out of some of these guys.

I fully expect him to win the 4th or 3rd spot next year and continue his development.It is completely mind boggling that some people can't seem to grasp this.Everyone has their own adjustment period.

Let's not forget Troy Bustamalu and Bustonio Holmes along with Timmons.Yet it never changes.Every year.

Big Kahuna Burgher
12-23-2008, 03:43 AM
Sweed will be fine, very few WR come into the league and play at a high level right from the start, look at all the big WRs hyped predraft and you will see they are all in the same boat as Sweed, the only high round WR that has produced has been the ever cocky and speedy DeSean Jackson.

stlrz d
12-23-2008, 07:36 AM

It looked to me like the kind of play that veteran WRs don't get called for.