PDA

View Full Version : 2 players i never want to see on defense again!

Steelhere10
12-21-2008, 07:32 PM
is it me or every time there is a big play or big conversion it's always on Deshea T and Larry Foote.

BURGH86STEEL
12-21-2008, 08:35 PM
is it me or every time there is a big play or big conversion it's always on Deshea T and Larry Foote.

Why are you picking on two players when several players did not get it done?

SidSmythe
12-21-2008, 08:35 PM
I wouldn't say that about D.T. BUT Foote really ticked me off today when he over played the TE on a hook routes and gave up big YAC.

Steelhere10
12-21-2008, 08:49 PM

Why are you picking on two players when several players did not get it done?it's been like that through out the season, even last season the board discussion was about benching DT. and why Timmons is not on the field more is beyond me.

BURGH86STEEL
12-21-2008, 08:56 PM

Why are you picking on two players when several players did not get it done?it's been like that through out the season, even last season the board discussion was about benching DT. and why Timmons is not on the field more is beyond me.

I recall several Steelers getting beat throughout this season. Timmons got beat on the 3rd and 20 play because he did not drop deeper in coverage. Collins made a great throw. The WR did a good job keeping his feet in bounds on that play. Ike got beat and blew the tackle on the RB that scored on 4th and inches. Farrior missed a tackle. Clark got beat for a TD. Dline and LBs did not get consistant pressure on Collins. ect. ect. ect. Do you see my point? It boils down to what you want to see and where you place the blame. Calling out two players when other players made mistakes does not make much sense. Ever team has weak links. We are not going to be strong at every position. That is how it is around the NFL.

flippy
12-22-2008, 01:12 AM
There were quite a few situations where I wondered why no Timmons?

Chadman
12-22-2008, 02:02 AM
Foote & Townsend have been warriors for the Steelers for a long time.

Give them respect.

Or chadman tells James Harrison you are picking on his team mates.

frankthetank1
12-22-2008, 09:01 AM
There were quite a few situations where I wondered why no Timmons?

me too, i thought timmons would have played more yesterday, but foote is better against the run. foote missed a couple tackles and deshea got beat but it was a bad day for everyone on the offense

TallyStiller
12-22-2008, 09:11 AM
Frankly, I've been dogging Foote for years. Guy is a smart football player, but he simply has nothing to recommend him as anything more than a good backup physically. He finds the play, but can never finish the deal. He doesn't tackle particularly well, and I can count the number of plays dude has made in pass pro in his career on one hand. For a few years, we just didn't have anybody better. Now we do. It's time for him to sit.

As for DT, he's been playing far above his physical abilities for years, again by playing the game with his mind... which is why he has been able to maintain his level of play for so long. The question is, when do declining physical skills finally catch up to him to the point where he'as no longer effective? We certainly weren't having this conversation two weeks ago, when we were successfully voting him defensive player of the week on NFL.com for the pick 6 that beat the Cowgirls. Oh how quickly they forget...

GreggyDigital
12-22-2008, 09:38 AM
I didn't see any posts like this when DT was picking off that ball against the Cowboys and locking the game up for us.

NorthCoast
12-22-2008, 09:52 AM
DT rarely makes mental mistakes, that is his value to the D. Yes, he no longer has the closing speed but if you put yourself in the right position you can still make plays. The problem comes when there is a breakdown and the D needs to improvise. This is where speed and quickness would help.

Would love to see DT switch to safety next season.

ramblinjim
12-22-2008, 10:02 AM
:HeadBanger

No one played well yesterday. It was a bad game, no one played well. I like Ike Taylor but I called him every name in the book yesterday on that 4th Down play.

Iron Shiek
12-22-2008, 10:10 AM
I didn't see any posts like this when DT was picking off that ball against the Cowboys and locking the game up for us.

Cash $

Steelhere10
12-22-2008, 12:29 PM
I didn't see any posts like this when DT was picking off that ball against the Cowboys and locking the game up for us.if he plays 500 plays a season, he is expected to make 1 play. but let's compare his big plays against the others that have been in the secondary. more plays than Ike, Troy, Ryan, or Bmac = NO even W Gay have made more plays than D Townsend. face the facts his time has come, he physically can not make enough plays any more to be on the field over any of the 5 players i named.

feltdizz
12-22-2008, 12:58 PM
DT was abused on a double move.. if the LB's can't get pressure most DB's will get beat on double moves.

RuthlessBurgher
12-22-2008, 01:15 PM
I didn't see any posts like this when DT was picking off that ball against the Cowboys and locking the game up for us.if he plays 500 plays a season, he is expected to make 1 play. but let's compare his big plays against the others that have been in the secondary. more plays than Ike, Troy, Ryan, or Bmac = NO even W Gay have made more plays than D Townsend. face the facts his time has come, he physically can not make enough plays any more to be on the field over any of the 5 players i named.

Ummm...Deshea isn't on the field more than any of those 5 guys. You just listed the 4 starters in the secondary and the nickel back. Townsend is the dime back, with Taylor, McFadden, Gay, Polamalu, and Clark as the DB's ahead of him. Is anyone (coaches, fans, Deshea himself?) suggesting that he is more than that at this point?

ramblinjim
12-22-2008, 06:12 PM

Ummm...Deshea isn't on the field more than any of those 5 guys. You just listed the 4 starters in the secondary and the nickel back. Townsend is the dime back, with Taylor, McFadden, Gay, Polamalu, and Clark as the DB's ahead of him. Is anyone (coaches, fans, Deshea himself?) suggesting that he is more than that at this point?

I wouldn't think so, not at this point. Deshea always played so well because he was smart and has a bit of a knack for the ball. I actually think he'd make a good safety and will be a good dime back roving around back there if he's willing to do it.