PDA

View Full Version : Willie is really hurting this team.

Steelhere10
12-21-2008, 07:27 PM
i used to defend WP against some of the posters on here, but i am starting to see the light. he have no vision , never follows his lead and he dances WAYYYY to much. MM needs more touches period!!!!! i blame the coaches for that.

DukieBoy
12-21-2008, 07:53 PM
i used to defend WP against some of the posters on here, but i am starting to see the light. he have no vision , never follows his lead and he dances WAYYYY to much. MM needs more touches period!!!!! i blame the coaches for that.

FWP needs a fullback, as he is a one-cut speed runner and must play off a lead block. It's simple and does not require the broad vision of the field that makes some runners very special (FWP doesn't have that).

Steelhere10
12-21-2008, 07:56 PM

FWP needs a fullback, when he had Kreider , he never followed him through the hole so i don't think that would change anything.

stlrz d
12-21-2008, 07:59 PM

FWP needs a fullback,

when he had Kreider , he never followed him through the hole so i don't think that would change anything.

Don't speak in terms of absolutes. I'm not trying to pick a fight, but I could go on youtube and find at least one play where he did follow his lead blocker.

Steelhere10
12-21-2008, 08:01 PM

FWP needs a fullback,

when he had Kreider , he never followed him through the hole so i don't think that would change anything.

Don't speak in terms of absolutes. I'm not trying to pick a fight, but I could go on youtube and find at least one play where he did follow his lead blocker.you are correct! rarely.

BURGH86STEEL
12-21-2008, 08:01 PM

FWP needs a fullback, as he is a one-cut speed runner and must play off a lead block. It's simple and does not require the broad vision of the field that makes some runners very special (FWP doesn't have that).

IMO, the run game needs better/consistant blocking from the Oline and TEs. I do not understand why people think a FB is an answer to the issues in the run game. It does not help that this offense has faced some of the better defenses this season. We knew that running would be tough against the Titans. There were other issues in the game but turnovers were the main problem. If this team losses the turnover battle in the playoffs, it will be one and done. Same as last season.

birtikidis
12-21-2008, 08:05 PM
wow, i thought the 4 fumbles and 2 picks by ben hurt the team ALOT more then Willie getting hit in the backfield by unblocked titans.

Steelhere10
12-21-2008, 08:07 PM
wow, i thought the 4 fumbles and 2 picks by ben hurt the team ALOT more then Willie getting hit in the backfield by unblocked titans. besides the obvious , i am talking about not being one and done to being dominate.

birtikidis
12-21-2008, 08:12 PM
well, as long as our line plays at this level it wont matter who we have in the backfield. a running back cannot get hit as soon as he gets the ball and expect to get any yards.

Steelhere10
12-21-2008, 08:19 PM
well, as long as our line plays at this level it wont matter who we have in the backfield. a running back cannot get hit as soon as he gets the ball and expect to get any yards. it just seems to me Moore is rarely caught in the backfield for 3 and 4 yards loss.

DukieBoy
12-21-2008, 08:20 PM
Running FWP between the tackles without a lead blocker doesn't make sense to me.
Running anybody between our tackles doesn't make sense to me, lead blocker or not, whether a TE or a FB.
And Willie isn't able to make the one cut and get the edge for abig gain like he used to do.

birtikidis
12-21-2008, 08:23 PM
well, as long as our line plays at this level it wont matter who we have in the backfield. a running back cannot get hit as soon as he gets the ball and expect to get any yards. it just seems to me Moore is rarely caught in the backfield for 3 and 4 yards loss.
in his first two starts he wasn't. but that was against crap teams.
you have to realize that as a 3rd down back he see's more nickle and dime defenses. it happens just as much to moore as it does to parker.

SidSmythe
12-21-2008, 08:34 PM
I too am losing faith in Parker ... he never cuts back against the grain. He's way too textbook and just doesn't have the instincts. Give him great blocking and he's special, but he doesn't have that.

BUT i do think a fullback would help w/ his style of running b/c he likes to pick a blocker to cut off of.

AngryAsian
12-21-2008, 08:40 PM
There is a reason why he's called FAST Willie Parker. He's fast once he hits an open space, but he has never had the ability to make the quick cut necessary to change direction of blast through a small seem created by the OL.... otherwise he'd be called QUICK Willie Parker. I'm not hating on him, but he has never been the all purpose back we need. This team needs to have a backfield by consensus, and if a particular defense is giving us trouble, let us go with another type of runner. Why we don't use the other horses in our stable is beyond dumb. The tough carries should of been given to Russell and we definitely should of used MM more. Just my two yen.

flippy
12-22-2008, 01:22 AM
Willie gets gang banged behind the line of scrimmage when he takes the handoff and we call him out for not having vision.

Ben audibles 2 times into a delayed draw where he hands the ball to Willie while he's getting tackled. Again, must be his poor vision.

How bout calling out Kemo and Colon? If either of these guys could block occassionally, Willie might bust off a 50+ yard run now and again.

Chadman
12-22-2008, 01:39 AM
Willie gets gang banged behind the line of scrimmage when he takes the handoff and we call him out for not having vision.

Ben audibles 2 times into a delayed draw where he hands the ball to Willie while he's getting tackled. Again, must be his poor vision.

How bout calling out Kemo and Colon? If either of these guys could block occassionally, Willie might bust off a 50+ yard run now and again.

Gotta agree with this...BUT...at the same time, Parker is not playing at the same level as before.

Chadman agrees with the FB call by many, but with a bit of a difference.

Get Chadman a Mike Alstott power FB type to lead block/ short yardage run instead of just a 'lead blocker'. Put Mendy in at RB. Use Moore & Russell as his back-ups & trade Parker for whatever you can get for him.

Djfan
12-22-2008, 03:16 AM
There is something to be said for your comments Flippy. Yours too, Chadman.

He is not the type of runner we need for the type of O Brucey A is building. (Even though I hope he isn't here next year to continue this build.)

Adjust the O to fit him or trade him. His skills have talent in the right set up. That team will be very happy with him. I do wish it was with our team, though.

frankthetank1
12-22-2008, 08:10 AM
i agree with flippy and chadman. how is it fwp's fault when he is getting hit constantly in the backfield? with that line yesterday walter payton and barry sanders wouldnt of done anything

feltdizz
12-22-2008, 12:55 PM
I battled with DVS for a long time over FWP... I wish I could find him cause I too have seen the light. FWP is nothing without a FB.. and I will keep repeating this.. the TE's SUCK at blocking.. this is why FWP never breaks it outside... Miller and Spaeth are a joke on run plays.

If we are going to stay single back... I really don't see any of our RB's having long term success. They are too small and the OL is not good enough to get to the second level.

Look at our 1st red zone.. FWP gets 13 on a nice run.. then 2 runs up the middle for -4 yards... NO FB!!! and the TE bunch formation with 3 TE's let 2 guys through...

turrible.

Steeler Shades
12-22-2008, 12:58 PM
"Parker and the running game were so ineffective that, if you throw out his 13-yard run in the first quarter, he had 17 carries for 16 yards."

Why would WP get the ball 17 times with numbers like those? 8)

BURGH86STEEL
12-22-2008, 01:18 PM
I battled with DVS for a long time over FWP... I wish I could find him cause I too have seen the light. FWP is nothing without a FB.. and I will keep repeating this.. the TE's SUCK at blocking.. this is why FWP never breaks it outside... Miller and Spaeth are a joke on run plays.

If we are going to stay single back... I really don't see any of our RB's having long term success. They are too small and the OL is not good enough to get to the second level.

Look at our 1st red zone.. FWP gets 13 on a nice run.. then 2 runs up the middle for -4 yards... NO FB!!! and the TE bunch formation with 3 TE's let 2 guys through...

turrible.

As you pretty much stated, the blocking (Oline & TEs) is the problem, not the RBs. The defenses we played also have to factor into the equation. If the team does not get more consistency from the Oline next season, we will be here reading about how Mendenhall is a bust. The organization needs to do their best job to upgrade the Oline within reason. Ben also has to make teams pay more often for dropping 8 or 9 guys in the box. He did a nice job on the TD to Holmes.

Oviedo
12-22-2008, 02:09 PM

Gotta agree with this...BUT...at the same time, Parker is not playing at the same level as before.

Chadman agrees with the FB call by many, but with a bit of a difference.

Get Chadman a Mike Alstott power FB type to lead block/ short yardage run instead of just a 'lead blocker'. Put Mendy in at RB. Use Moore & Russell as his back-ups & trade Parker for whatever you can get for him.

You are correct. We need a Mike Alstott type RB who can run, block and catch. We don't need another Dan Kreider.

His name is Owen Schmitt and he plays for Seattle. I trade this off season to get him. Fourth or fifth round pick should be more than enough. Seattle needs to blow up their roster and have so many holes that they look like a fishing net and will be looking for picks.