PDA

View Full Version : It's really this simple....

SidSmythe
12-21-2008, 05:29 PM
Whether we win or lose it boils down to 1 thing.

BEN protecting the football.

OUR defense is good enough to overcome sacks, 3 and outs, etc.
BUT not turning the ball over, especially 2 fumbles in the red zone.

stlrz d
12-21-2008, 05:32 PM
Agreed. Can't get careless with the ball.

flippy
12-21-2008, 05:35 PM
Good game KC.

Steelers played poorly on D.

RussBII
12-21-2008, 05:36 PM
That's a given.

The lack of a dominant ground game rears its ugly head when Ben starts getting careless. In the old days, we could just run it and let Ben settle down. Nowadays, we run on two downs and then ask men to get us the Third and Long. That's not so good when Ben is off.

I think that big hit on the goalline might've dinged him up a little more than he thought.

Steeler Shades
12-21-2008, 05:36 PM
OUR defense is good enough to overcome sacks, 3 and outs, etc.

Our defense was beat by the Titans offense today. Our offense did their usual squat to contribute, but today's loss was more than just TOs by the offense...IMHO. 8)

BURGH86STEEL
12-21-2008, 05:38 PM
I agree. Turnovers are team killers. Hard for any defense to over come turnovers. Defense made their share of mistakes. Ben was inconsistent today. His old habit of holding the ball too long showed its ugly head today.

BURGH86STEEL
12-21-2008, 05:43 PM
That's a given.

The lack of a dominant ground game rears its ugly head when Ben starts getting careless. In the old days, we could just run it and let Ben settle down. Nowadays, we run on two downs and then ask men to get us the Third and Long. That's not so good when Ben is off.

I think that big hit on the goalline might've dinged him up a little more than he thought.

We have not had a dominant ground game all season. That is no excuse for turnovers.

RussBII
12-21-2008, 05:51 PM
That's a given.

We have not had a dominant ground game all season. That is no excuse for turnovers.

It's not an excsue... What i was saying is that we have no good backup plan if Ben gets all turnovery....

SidSmythe
12-21-2008, 06:15 PM
Wow....who brought the :Boobs to this thread???

Oh yeah ... no more turnovers please. Unless they're apple

pfelix73
12-21-2008, 06:56 PM
:tt1

pfelix73
12-21-2008, 06:57 PM
:Boobs
wow!

papillon
12-21-2008, 09:26 PM
One of two things was evident today. Either Ben was holding the ball too long and not seeing open receivers or there weren't any open receivers. Ben had time for most of his drops, but, didn't find the open receiver or there weren't any.

Pappy

ground-n-pound
12-21-2008, 10:34 PM
We did not play as if it was a play off game. This late in the season you should play as if every game is an ellimination game. Maybe today will be a wake up call. Our wole team sucked today. O-LINE, running game, football protection, coaching, and not very good defense all contributed to our loss. I just did not see the fire, passion, or emotion that should be present this late in the season. :HeadBanger :wft

NorthCoast
12-22-2008, 10:08 AM
That's a given.

I have been thinking about this a lot. Just wondering if Ben having to be the man week in and week out is starting to take a mental toll? We all face times at work where we know we are not at the top of our game. Problem is Ben has no running game to bail him out this year. The stress of being the man every week could be causing him to make mistakes.

Actually I am wondering whether the Steelers used this game as a test to see what kinds of plays they might be successful with in the playoffs. Although I did not see any great improvements either way.

Starlifter
12-22-2008, 10:15 AM
today sucked BUT laying an egg in december is far better than doing it in January........

Steeler Shades
12-22-2008, 12:05 PM
...I am wondering whether the Steelers used this game as a test to see what kinds of plays they might be successful with in the playoffs...
Surely you jest? They use a game that will decide the #1 seed and homefield advantage to "test" plays for games that are three weeks away? If they wanted to do this, why wouldn't they "test" plays in a more meaningless game like ....next week against the Browns? 8)

NorthCoast
12-22-2008, 06:03 PM
We did not play as if it was a play off game. This late in the season you should play as if every game is an ellimination game. Maybe today will be a wake up call. Our wole team sucked today. O-LINE, running game, football protection, coaching, and not very good defense all contributed to our loss. I just did not see the fire, passion, or emotion that should be present this late in the season. :HeadBanger :wft

Disagree. If the Steelers were a first-in-a-decade playoff team, then yes, balls out all the way. However, this team is seasoned and knows what it takes to advance so there is no reason to think they won't know how to prepare to the upcoming games. We had to play 6 road games in the playoffs just a few years ago, so we know they know how to get it done. Of course, every team is different and no one really knows how this team will play in sudden death.

Chadman
12-22-2008, 06:11 PM
For the defence to remain fresh & dominant the offence needs to keep the ball in it's possession longer than it doesn't have it in possession.

Turn-overs & successful running of the ball are two keys to that.

If you don't do that, you put your D on the field too long & eventually, they are going to get tired, or exposed, or both.

Ben is responsible for poor ball control, and the running game is....very poor.

It all comes back to the O-Line though. Give Ben time, give the RB's room, and the offence should be able to sustain long drives, keeping the D off the field & refreshed.