PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on game

steelernation77
12-21-2008, 05:27 PM
Thoughts on Steelers-Titans.
Several key mistakes by Steelers and overall ugly game. Terrible game plan. Titans D line played well.

Things that led to loss:
1. Not scoring on several opportunities in Titan territory, including turning it over on the Titan five and a missed field goal
2. Two terrible plays that led to Tennessee touchdowns. Giving up a 3rd and 20 to set up one and a penalty on the field goal attempt to set up another.
3. Inability to stop the D-line, which includes not varying the snap. #98 was getting huge jumps. Couldn't run the ball.
4. Bad play calling. Tried that slow developing draw over and over which consistently lead to lost yards.

Titans are a good team, but I think that these teams are more even then today indicated. If the two teams meet in the championship game it will be a good match-up.

It's hard to like LenDale White and Chris Johnson from an outside perspective. Personally I've never cared for excessive showboating, and Johnson and White did not win with class. If I were a Titan fan, I would not like the actions of my players at the end of the game. That will definitely be used as motivation in a potential rematch. Plus, if you're going to desecrate the Terrible Towel, atleast get a real one. That one on the sideline was a shoddy knock-off.

This all being said, I do not think the Titans will make it to the Championship game. I really do think they got lucky playing a team that was a shell of itself today.

steelz09
12-21-2008, 05:32 PM
Things that struck me:

1) Ben still isn't very good at scanning the field and picking the open receiver. He relies on pure athleticism and a strong arm.

2) Moore not getting enough playing time. Nor is Russel.

3) Ben holding on to the ball for to long and not protecting the football which costs us the game

4) Defense played way to conservative. No blitzing and no pressure.

5) Our offensive tackles are the worst in the league. Colon is on the ground more than what he is standing and Starks is the slowest LT in the league by far. Colon either should be a backup or moved to guard and Starks should/will get replaced. Again, our tackes are absolutely HORRIBLE

DukieBoy
12-21-2008, 05:32 PM
Alot of posters were up with losing this game to not get the Ravens early in the playoffs. I was not of that thinking, but now I hope they are of right mind.

Steeler Shades
12-21-2008, 05:33 PM
Thinks that struck me:

1) Ben still isn't very good at scanning the field and picking the open receiver. He relies on pure athleticism and a strong arm.

2) Moore not getting enough playing time. Nor is Russel.

3) Ben holding on to the ball for to long and not protecting the football which costs us the game

4) Defense played way to conservative. No blitzing and no pressure.

5) Our offensive tackles are the worst in the league. Colon is on the ground more than what he is standing and Starkes is the slowest LT in the league by far. Colon either should be a backup or moved to guard and Starks should/will get replaced. Again, our tackes are absolutely HORRIBLE
:Clap :Clap :Clap

steelernation77
12-21-2008, 05:43 PM
I think the receivers are also doing a poor job getting open.

Really what it comes down to is we've strayed WAY too far from Steeler football. We need to draft a couple of linemen early. Probably an OT and an OG. Then we need to see if Mendenhall can develop. I believe in him. We NEED to run the football. Lack of a running game is killing this offense. If Arians is also standing in the way of that, than he should be fired.

phillyesq
12-21-2008, 06:02 PM
Running out of the single back sets wasn't working. Yet I didn't see a fullback in the game at all. If you don't trust Carey Davis as a competent lead blocker, there is no reason to have him on the roster.

The entire offensive line was just awful. The Titans got a ton of pressure just using a 4 man rush. And that was without two of their best players. The Oline really needs an overhaul.

pittpete
12-21-2008, 06:07 PM
Running out of the single back sets wasn't working. Yet I didn't see a fullback in the game at all. If you don't trust Carey Davis as a competent lead blocker, there is no reason to have him on the roster

My thoughts exactly.....$$$$$$$$$$ baby

3rd and 20
and
3rd and 2(Ben threw pick)
were the turning points of the game.
It also doesnt help that we cant run the ball and Ben turned it over 3x :x

Steelgal
12-21-2008, 07:44 PM
Ben needs to start taking the short stuff. Guys are getting open 5-10 yards down the field, but yet he is still looking to make the big play down the field. Drives me insane!!!

Jooser
12-21-2008, 07:57 PM
The entire offensive line was just awful. The Titans got a ton of pressure just using a 4 man rush. And that was without two of their best players. The Oline really needs an overhaul.

I thought Ben had time today for the most part. A lot of the sacks he's taking is because he's pumpfaking 2 or 3 times and not getting rid of the ball. There were open receivers today, he's just not finding them.

DukieBoy
12-21-2008, 07:58 PM
Ben wants to be John Elway but sometimes he is Sage Rosenfels instead.

I am surprised that, with Ken Anderson as his QB coach, he is not better at reading defenses and checking down. Anderson was excellent at both.

SidSmythe
12-21-2008, 08:38 PM
You guys go way too in depth when the BIG problem today was TURNOVERS.

Who's on our roster isn't going to change, but BEN must protect the ball and not lose chances to score or give the other team good opportunity to score.

Jooser
12-21-2008, 09:18 PM
You guys go way too in depth when the BIG problem today was TURNOVERS.

Who's on our roster isn't going to change, but BEN must protect the ball and not lose chances to score or give the other team good opportunity to score.

$$$ :Clap

ground-n-pound
12-21-2008, 09:36 PM
I agree that Ben needs to protect the football, but the thing that irritates me the most is the lack of our running game. Ben has always been sucessful b/c we had a good running game. Every body knows that you setup the passing game through the running game. I think Arians is the main cause, but our O-Line is also at fault. Throught my life as a steelers fan, our idenity has been pounding the rock and defense. We need to fire Arians and go back to what we know. :tt1 :tt1

Ozey74
12-22-2008, 07:50 AM
The biggest thing I take from Sunday's game is that Moore needs to play more. FWP is all or nothing & I have no idea is was still getting the bulk of the carries in the 2nd half. That was poor coaching.

Oviedo
12-22-2008, 08:40 AM
Ben needs to start taking the short stuff. Guys are getting open 5-10 yards down the field, but yet he is still looking to make the big play down the field. Drives me insane!!!

I too will be with you in the looney bin.

The perfect example was the INT he threw trying to force the ball to Washington. Moore had slipped out of the backfield to the left and was wide open. If I recall correctly it was third and three. Moore would have easily gotten the first down if Ben just dumped it.

Collins put on a clinic of dumping short passes to force Harrison and Woodley back into coverage versus rushing and then taking opportunistic shots down field. I wish we would just embrace the same type of offense.

We have so many weapons to use without always forcing passes down the field.

pittpete
12-22-2008, 02:42 PM
It was 3rd and 2
If we had a running game, we wouldnt need to do that crap
Anyone see Gary Russel or are we satisfied with his 15 yard KO returns? :roll: