PDA

View Full Version : Bad Day for Ben



NorthCoast
12-21-2008, 05:08 PM
Ben had no magic today. OL got beat like a drum by a rookie. Both sides of ball looked like they were suffering a hangover from last week's game. Pretty vanilla gameplan...would guess weather was a factor as well with the wind whipping up to 30mph. This Steelers team really misses a pounding running game for days like today. I would guess that was on purpose not wanting to show new stuff before the playoffs.

Time to regroup. I think they ought to rest Ben for the Stains game and get him healthy for the playoffs.

Steeler Shades
12-21-2008, 05:15 PM
1. Both sides of ball looked like they were suffering a hangover from last week's game.
2. .would guess weather was a factor as well with the wind whipping up to 30mph.
3. I would guess that was on purpose not wanting to show new stuff before the playoffs.
1. Agreed both sides of the ball looked bad. I think it was mostly because the Titans were beating the crap out of them instead of being hung over from last week.

2. Weather strangely did NOT seem to adversely affect the Titans

3. I don't think the Steelers were saving ANY secret plays for the playoffs. They gave the best they had and it is quite possible that we were out coached and game planned on both offense and defense. 8)

BDESteel
12-21-2008, 06:28 PM
I'm sick of hearing Ben is an elite QB. He is far from elite, more like an idiot.

How can you take a two step drop and pump fake the ball three times? How much time do you think you're gonna get in that situation? And somebody please tell me why Ben and Holmes can't get on the same page?

If you never sit his arrogant A$$ down, he's never gonna have any incentive to change.

The defense got a wake up call today. All that posing for magazines and reading Christmas tales on tv got their heads so dam big. They needed this A$$ whoopin today. The problem is the offense. After 15 weeks of play they still don't have an identity.

THIS IS MAKING ME SICK!!!!!!!! :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger

proudpittsburgher
12-21-2008, 06:52 PM
I'm sick of hearing Ben is an elite QB. He is far from elite, more like an idiot.

How can you take a two step drop and pump fake the ball three times? How much time do you think you're gonna get in that situation? And somebody please tell me why Ben and Holmes can't get on the same page?

If you never sit his arrogant A$$ down, he's never gonna have any incentive to change.

The defense got a wake up call today. All that posing for magazines and reading Christmas tales on tv got their heads so dam big. They needed this A$$ whoopin today. The problem is the offense. After 15 weeks of play they still don't have an identity.

THIS IS MAKING ME SICK!!!!!!!! :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger

Ben did make some big plays in the game after pump faking on a two-step drop, but that's neither here nor there, since he also fumbled twice. Of course, once you labeled Ben as arrogent, you pretty much lost all credibility.

Steelgal
12-21-2008, 07:00 PM
The Steelers have been battle-tested the past month. They played the Pats*, the Cowgirls, and the Ravens and beat all of them. I think if you would have told us a month ago, we'd go 3-1 in this stretch, we'd all be happy about it. Both sides of the ball looked bad today, but I think it was more due to the rough schedule and knowing they had to win the last 3. Today was a let down, but I don't think it will be a problem come the playoffs.

:tt2 :tt2 :tt2

Steeler Shades
12-21-2008, 07:11 PM
...since he also fumbled twice.
He fumbled four times. Two were recovered by the Titans. Plus 2 picks including one for a pick 6. 8)

Jooser
12-21-2008, 07:34 PM
I have not wanted to attribute late game heroics to 'majic'. It's more like Murphy's Law in that after being handed very lucrative field position (thanks to the stellar D and good ST play) and squandering opportunities for the last month(+), sooner or later you're gonna find the end zone. I'll give Ben credit that he hung around long enough to finally find it. I'll take nothing away from the 92 yrd drive in Ratland last week. The bottom line is that Ben has been pissing on great opportunities for most of the season, and today it caught him. Most coaches would have benched a QB for a performance like today. Reid did it to McNabb, and McNabb has responded and played very well since. Ben, in my opinion is not elite - at least not this season. He is lucky. Today, luck ran out on him and he was left holding the bag. Fumbles, INTs, holding the ball for what seems like an eternity and taking sacks, how can there be any more excuses. How do you look at your Super Bowl winning, Pro Bowl QB and say his poor performance is all the damn OC's fault. Ben's been around, he knows the drill. Last year, he had the season of his life with the same coaches, same personnel minus Faneca (but a better center now). The line clearly isn't one to write home about, but he had a hell of a lot of time today. He ran around and held the ball and took sacks when he had 7 or 8 seconds to decide what to do. He is healthier now than he's been all season. I just think he's in a mental 'funk' right now and isn't making good decisions. Well, at least not a lot of good decisions.

The positive in all this is that we did play a very vanilla D today and gave up alot of rushing yrds for it. It's been a tough month and I am happy to be 3-1 down this stretch, as much as have to attribute it to great defense and alot of luck on offense. So, I guess it's a few weeks now to work on things before we play a game with any meaning.

JAR
12-21-2008, 08:05 PM
Ben needs a running game.

Steelhere10
12-21-2008, 08:16 PM
I have not wanted to attribute late game heroics to 'majic'. It's more like Murphy's Law in that after being handed very lucrative field position (thanks to the stellar D and good ST play) and squandering opportunities for the last month(+), sooner or later you're gonna find the end zone. I'll give Ben credit that he hung around long enough to finally find it. I'll take nothing away from the 92 yrd drive in Ratland last week. The bottom line is that Ben has been pissing on great opportunities for most of the season, and today it caught him. Most coaches would have benched a QB for a performance like today. Reid did it to McNabb, and McNabb has responded and played very well since. Ben, in my opinion is not elite - at least not this season. He is lucky. Today, luck ran out on him and he was left holding the bag. Fumbles, INTs, holding the ball for what seems like an eternity and taking sacks, how can there be any more excuses. How do you look at your Super Bowl winning, Pro Bowl QB and say his poor performance is all the damn OC's fault. Ben's been around, he knows the drill. Last year, he had the season of his life with the same coaches, same personnel minus Faneca (but a better center now). The line clearly isn't one to write home about, but he had a hell of a lot of time today. He ran around and held the ball and took sacks when he had 7 or 8 seconds to decide what to do. He is healthier now than he's been all season. I just think he's in a mental 'funk' right now and isn't making good decisions. Well, at least not a lot of good decisions.

The positive in all this is that we did play a very vanilla D today and gave up alot of rushing yrds for it. It's been a tough month and I am happy to be 3-1 down this stretch, as much as have to attribute it to great defense and alot of luck on offense. So, I guess it's a few weeks now to work on things before we play a game with any meaning.best post of the year.

proudpittsburgher
12-21-2008, 09:31 PM
...since he also fumbled twice.
He fumbled four times. Two were recovered by the Titans. Plus 2 picks including one for a pick 6. 8)

Yes, you are correct. I should have said lost two fumbles today. Ben had a bad performance. Not a horrible game, but bad nonetheless. But to call Ben arrogant is just stupid.

williar
12-21-2008, 09:52 PM
I am worried about Ben going into the playoffs. I just don't see him getting it done! He is too turnover prone for my comfort. Our offense has struggled all season, and as we get to the end of the season, still, not much improvement. I am discouraged. It's like, if the defense can hold 'em to ten points, we don't have a chance.

GreggyDigital
12-21-2008, 10:07 PM
I am worried about Ben going into the playoffs. I just don't see him getting it done! He is too turnover prone for my comfort. Our offense has struggled all season, and as we get to the end of the season, still, not much improvement. I am discouraged. It's like, if the defense can hold 'em to ten points, we don't have a chance.

Before his first pick Ben didn't throw a pick for 130 some tosses. That's pretty encouraging if you ask me.

BDESteel
12-21-2008, 10:20 PM
...since he also fumbled twice.
He fumbled four times. Two were recovered by the Titans. Plus 2 picks including one for a pick 6. 8)

Yes, you are correct. I should have said lost two fumbles today. Ben had a bad performance. Not a horrible game, but bad nonetheless. But to call Ben arrogant is just stupid.
FU! Don't start that name calling bullsht with me. It's my opinion Ben is arrogant, too bad if you don't like it.

Why are you so in love with Ben, are you his bed buddy or something.

The game is much bigger than Ben and he doesn't seem to think so. Did you not hear the color commentators say when Tomlin wanted to run a QB sneak last week if Holmes didn't get the TD Ben said NO! And, when Ben is hurt and is hurting the team playing injured, why doesn't he let the back up come in??? It's the 110,000,000 dollars. Do you see all those zero's? That's enough zero's to make anyone arrogant and if you can't see that for yourself than you are obviously the stupid one.

ground-n-pound
12-21-2008, 10:23 PM
Ben is not elite I agree but Iwould not call him an idiot. Yes he was careless with the ball today but I think he will be more careful from here on out. He just had a bad day. It is not just his fault. Our team played like crap today as a whole. Have faith in Ben. Remember that T.Bradshaw was not the "best" QB neither and we won 4 rings with him. JUST PROTECT THE BALL!!

GreggyDigital
12-21-2008, 10:23 PM
FU! Don't start that name calling bullsht with me.

Why are you so in love with Ben, are you his bed buddy or something.


Totally not hypocritical at all...

California-Steel
12-21-2008, 10:25 PM
Yes, you are correct. I should have said lost two fumbles today. Ben had a bad performance. Not a horrible game, but bad nonetheless. But to call Ben arrogant is just stupid.Bad and Horrible are interchangable. It makes no diff. Bad = Horrible. You can't spin it dude!

Steeler Shades
12-21-2008, 10:37 PM
... to call Ben arrogant is just stupid.
I don't know whether Ben is arrogant or not. Certainly we have all heard rumors that he has quite an ego. While I don't personally care whether they are just rumors or not, I do care about him getting better and avoid making the same mistakes repeatedly. One and out AGAIN because Ben has another bad game will not encourage me to become a charter member of the Ben for King Club. 8)

BDESteel
12-21-2008, 10:46 PM
Ben is not elite I agree but Iwould not call him an idiot. Yes he was careless with the ball today but I think he will be more careful from here on out. He just had a bad day. It is not just his fault. Our team played like crap today as a whole. Have faith in Ben. Remember that T.Bradshaw was not the "best" QB neither and we won 4 rings with him. JUST PROTECT THE BALL!!
I try so hard to be on his side. We've all been having this conversation since his motorcycle accident. When I say he's an idiot I think of the play last week vs baltimore. The defender had both of Ben's arms wrapped up and Ben still tried to flip the ball to Miller and when you take a two step drop and pump fake three times and you know darn well your line is no good and when you run right into the very people trying to take your head off, I'm sorry that's idiotic.

You say just protect the ball. That's exactly what I'm saying stop giving the ball away to the opponents, especially giving them great field position.





FU! Don't start that name calling bullsht with me.

Why are you so in love with Ben, are you his bed buddy or something.


Totally not hypocritical at all...

I didn't call him any names there. I did suggest though he's the stupid one if he can't see that regardless of Arians poor play calling Ben is killing our team.

I am worried about Ben going into the playoffs. I just don't see him getting it done! He is too turnover prone for my comfort. Our offense has struggled all season, and as we get to the end of the season, still, not much improvement. I am discouraged. It's like, if the defense can hold 'em to ten points, we don't have a chance.

Before his first pick Ben didn't throw a pick for 130 some tosses. That's pretty encouraging if you ask me.

You seriously need to check your facts. :roll:

stlrz d
12-21-2008, 10:49 PM
You seriously need to check your facts. :roll:

I don't remember the number exactly, but they said it during the game and it was over 100 for sure.

proudpittsburgher
12-21-2008, 10:49 PM
You seriously need to check your facts. :roll:

He's right. Maybe you just can't get past your hate.

proudpittsburgher
12-21-2008, 10:58 PM
Yes, you are correct. I should have said lost two fumbles today. Ben had a bad performance. Not a horrible game, but bad nonetheless. But to call Ben arrogant is just stupid.Bad and Horrible are interchangable. It makes no diff. Bad = Horrible. You can't spin it dude!

I'm not trying to spin anything. What I am trying to say is that I am not going to throw a blanket statement over his game. You all call it horrible. I have seen much worse out of a quarterback. Many of which wore the black and gold. I saw some positives out of Ben, which in my eyes, doesn;t make it a horrible effort. Some of you, maybe not you cal, seem like you want to bench him, and I just can't stand those fans. My original statement was to the person who said they should bench his arrogant a$S. I don't know Ben personally. But what i do know of him, which is all I can go by, is that he is selfless, takes full blame when it is not always warranted, humble, and is the best Steelers QB since Bradshaw. I don't get arrogant out of that. But some like to throw words out there when they make their argument sound better.

BDESteel
12-21-2008, 11:24 PM
You seriously need to check your facts. :roll:

I don't remember the number exactly, but they said it during the game and it was over 100 for sure.
I can't figure it out on my own exactly, but his last game with an INT was NE. He threw a total of 106 passes from that game up to today's game. Maybe I'm wrong.



You seriously need to check your facts. :roll:

He's right. Maybe you just can't get past your hate.

Believe me, I don't hate Ben. I'm just a very frustrated and upset fan. We can't keep doing the same things and hope that something is going to change. After Cleveland it doesn't get any easier. The competition is just going to get harder. Tennessee will get better, all the teams will get better, our offense needs to get better.

And just keep an eye on Ben, I'm telling you he does have a superiority complex.

That's it, I'm done. :Binky :)

GreggyDigital
12-21-2008, 11:28 PM
FU! Don't start that name calling bullsht with me.

Why are you so in love with Ben, are you his bed buddy or something.


Totally not hypocritical at all...


I didn't call him any names there. I did suggest though he's the stupid one if he can't see that regardless of Arians poor play calling Ben is killing our team.

Us educated folk would call that reading between the lines.

Unless bedding another man is considered cool in your ring of friends and therefore you meant it as a compliment. If so, a thousand apologies.



You seriously need to check your facts. :roll:

They said it during the broadcast. I assumed they were telling the truth.

stlrz d
12-21-2008, 11:32 PM
You seriously need to check your facts. :roll:

I don't remember the number exactly, but they said it during the game and it was over 100 for sure.
I can't figure it out on my own exactly, but his last game with an INT was NE. He threw a total of 106 passes from that game up to today's game. Maybe I'm wrong.



Did you start counting with the next game or with the next pass after the INT?

costanza2k1
12-21-2008, 11:37 PM
[quote=BDESteel]
You seriously need to check your facts. :roll:

I don't remember the number exactly, but they said it during the game and it was over 100 for sure.
I can't figure it out on my own exactly, but his last game with an INT was NE. He threw a total of 106 passes from that game up to today's game. Maybe I'm wrong.



Did you start counting with the next game or with the next pass after the INT?[/quote:1qkjxu12]


I think the total was 133 passes. I'm pretty sure about that.

BDESteel
12-21-2008, 11:43 PM
[quote=BDESteel]
You seriously need to check your facts. :roll:

I don't remember the number exactly, but they said it during the game and it was over 100 for sure.
I can't figure it out on my own exactly, but his last game with an INT was NE. He threw a total of 106 passes from that game up to today's game. Maybe I'm wrong.



Did you start counting with the next game or with the next pass after the INT?[/quote:2bplf7j7]I'm no statistician. I started doing the research than decided it wasn't worth it. So I simply concede the point.

GreggyDigital - :moon I love :Boobs 8)

stlrz d
12-21-2008, 11:46 PM
[quote=BDESteel]
You seriously need to check your facts. :roll:

I don't remember the number exactly, but they said it during the game and it was over 100 for sure.
I can't figure it out on my own exactly, but his last game with an INT was NE. He threw a total of 106 passes from that game up to today's game. Maybe I'm wrong.



Did you start counting with the next game or with the next pass after the INT?I'm no statistician. I started doing the research than decided it wasn't worth it. So I simply concede the point.

GreggyDigital - :moon I love :Boobs 8)[/quote:2jno6wqa]

That's cool...I was just curious is all. No worries. :)

TonyRomo
12-21-2008, 11:46 PM
Ben is not elite I agree but Iwould not call him an idiot. Yes he was careless with the ball today but I think he will be more careful from here on out. He just had a bad day. It is not just his fault. Our team played like crap today as a whole. Have faith in Ben. Remember that T.Bradshaw was not the "best" QB neither and we won 4 rings with him. JUST PROTECT THE BALL!!
I try so hard to be on his side. We've all been having this conversation since his motorcycle accident. When I say he's an idiot I think of the play last week vs baltimore. The defender had both of Ben's arms wrapped up and Ben still tried to flip the ball to Miller and when you take a two step drop and pump fake three times and you know darn well your line is no good and when you run right into the very people trying to take your head off, I'm sorry that's idiotic.

You say just protect the ball. That's exactly what I'm saying stop giving the ball away to the opponents, especially giving them great field position.





FU! Don't start that name calling bullsht with me.

Why are you so in love with Ben, are you his bed buddy or something.


Totally not hypocritical at all...

I didn't call him any names there. I did suggest though he's the stupid one if he can't see that regardless of Arians poor play calling Ben is killing our team.

I am worried about Ben going into the playoffs. I just don't see him getting it done! He is too turnover prone for my comfort. Our offense has struggled all season, and as we get to the end of the season, still, not much improvement. I am discouraged. It's like, if the defense can hold 'em to ten points, we don't have a chance.

Before his first pick Ben didn't throw a pick for 130 some tosses. That's pretty encouraging if you ask me.

You seriously need to check your facts. :roll:

I agree with you. The Steelers best Player is Willie. If they just gave him the
ball 35 times, you would never lose. You would easily score 24+ points a game.

Flasteel
12-22-2008, 11:46 AM
...since he also fumbled twice.
He fumbled four times. Two were recovered by the Titans. Plus 2 picks including one for a pick 6. 8)

Yes, you are correct. I should have said lost two fumbles today. Ben had a bad performance. Not a horrible game, but bad nonetheless. But to call Ben arrogant is just stupid.
FU! Don't start that name calling bullsht with me. It's my opinion Ben is arrogant, too bad if you don't like it.

Why are you so in love with Ben, are you his bed buddy or something.

The game is much bigger than Ben and he doesn't seem to think so. Did you not hear the color commentators say when Tomlin wanted to run a QB sneak last week if Holmes didn't get the TD Ben said NO! And, when Ben is hurt and is hurting the team playing injured, why doesn't he let the back up come in??? It's the 110,000,000 dollars. Do you see all those zero's? That's enough zero's to make anyone arrogant and if you can't see that for yourself than you are obviously the stupid one.

Are you finished with middle school yet? One of the most juvenile posts I've ever read here. If you're angry about his performance yesterday (which in my opinion was horrible...not just bad) and are jusy venting, then I guess you have that right, but your logic is on par with that of an emotionally disturbed child.

feltdizz
12-22-2008, 12:02 PM
Ben had a bad game.. it happens. We played a brutal schedule and didn't have it yesterday... The Titans were able to get pressure with the front 4...
when you can drop 7 and get pressure Ben has to check down to the RB more often.

I'm frustrated that once again.. we have first and goal and look like idiots.

My biggest concern though is the TE's. Those 3 are the WORST blocking TE's I have ever seen. Miller and Spaeth suck at blocking.

We had chances.. and we blew them. But the #1 seed in the AFC is over rated and we also needed to go into the playoffs with a loss. Imagine if Ben pulled out a miracle.. he and Arians would think what they are doing is working and it is not.

Oh.. and Ben needs to stop the audible to the run with 1 second left on the clock.. sheez... talk about an easy way to jump the snap?

SuperSize
12-22-2008, 12:15 PM
Some people are hilarious! One week Ben is great, the next week he sucks...it will never change.

Did he play poorly yesterday? Without a doubt. Was he the only reason the Steelers lost? Hardly.

His track record is what it is...50 wins in 5 years, but more importantly, 11 wins this year and the #2 seed while playing a very difficult schedule.

I am more concerned that he get healthy (along with Parker, Harrison, etc.) and be ready to play in 2 weeks. Yes, he has bad games, horrible if that's the word you want to use, but his record says that he wins 70% of the time he takes the field (50-21 reg season, 5-2 post season).


Merry Christmas & Happy New Year,


Pete

Steeler Shades
12-22-2008, 12:25 PM
Did he play poorly yesterday? Without a doubt.

His track record is what it is...50 wins in 5 years, but more importantly, 11 wins this year and the #2 seed while playing a very difficult schedule.

Yes, he has bad games, horrible if that's the word you want to use, but his record says that he wins 70% of the time he takes the field (50-21 reg season, 5-2 post season).
Actually I think the Steelers record is that THEY win 70% of the time when Ben is the QB and THEY are 11-4 and the #2 seed this year. How much or little Ben has contributed this year is certainly a matter of opinion. His contributions yesterday were horrendous.......I mean poor. 8)

feltdizz
12-22-2008, 12:39 PM
QB's get all the credit for wins and all the blame for losses...

I'm not concerned with Ben playing bad in a game that knocks us from a #1 to a #2 seed.

Look at our schedule... anyone who hates Ben also said we would be 7-9.

BDESteel
12-22-2008, 12:39 PM
...since he also fumbled twice.
He fumbled four times. Two were recovered by the Titans. Plus 2 picks including one for a pick 6. 8)

Yes, you are correct. I should have said lost two fumbles today. Ben had a bad performance. Not a horrible game, but bad nonetheless. But to call Ben arrogant is just stupid.
FU! Don't start that name calling bullsht with me. It's my opinion Ben is arrogant, too bad if you don't like it.

Why are you so in love with Ben, are you his bed buddy or something.

The game is much bigger than Ben and he doesn't seem to think so. Did you not hear the color commentators say when Tomlin wanted to run a QB sneak last week if Holmes didn't get the TD Ben said NO! And, when Ben is hurt and is hurting the team playing injured, why doesn't he let the back up come in??? It's the 110,000,000 dollars. Do you see all those zero's? That's enough zero's to make anyone arrogant and if you can't see that for yourself than you are obviously the stupid one.

Are you finished with middle school yet? One of the most juvenile posts I've ever read here. If you're angry about his performance yesterday (which in my opinion was horrible...not just bad) and are jusy venting, then I guess you have that right, but your logic is on par with that of an emotionally disturbed child.Meet me after school punk. Honestly, I've read plenty of your posts and you have no room to talk. :roll:

BDESteel
12-22-2008, 12:45 PM
Some people are hilarious! One week Ben is great, the next week he sucks...it will never change.

Did he play poorly yesterday? Without a doubt. Was he the only reason the Steelers lost? Hardly.

His track record is what it is...50 wins in 5 years, but more importantly, 11 wins this year and the #2 seed while playing a very difficult schedule.

I am more concerned that he get healthy (along with Parker, Harrison, etc.) and be ready to play in 2 weeks. Yes, he has bad games, horrible if that's the word you want to use, but his record says that he wins 70% of the time he takes the field (50-21 reg season, 5-2 post season).


Merry Christmas & Happy New Year,


Pete

17 TD's and 14 INT's what do you call that?
QB's get all the credit for wins and all the blame for losses...

I'm not concerned with Ben playing bad in a game that knocks us from a #1 to a #2 seed.

Look at our schedule... anyone who hates Ben also said we would be 7-9.

I just want Ben to stop turning the ball over. At least give our defense a decent chance to defend with favorable odds. IMO, Ben lost that game single handedly.

Steeler Mafia
12-22-2008, 12:45 PM
Some people are hilarious! One week Ben is great, the next week he sucks...it will never change.

Did he play poorly yesterday? Without a doubt. Was he the only reason the Steelers lost? Hardly.

His track record is what it is...50 wins in 5 years, but more importantly, 11 wins this year and the #2 seed while playing a very difficult schedule.

I am more concerned that he get healthy (along with Parker, Harrison, etc.) and be ready to play in 2 weeks. Yes, he has bad games, horrible if that's the word you want to use, but his record says that he wins 70% of the time he takes the field (50-21 reg season, 5-2 post season).


Merry Christmas & Happy New Year,


Pete

If he is not the only reason we lost, I would at least say that he is 85% responsible for the beating that we took. You can't be the leader of the offense and turn the ball over 4 times to any team. Especially when we are in scoring opportunities. Each one of those turnovers were all on him. He wouldn't check down but would try to make the big play. He needs to play smarter and we all know that he is capable of doing just that. I guess that is why we are all pissed off today.

Steeler Shades
12-22-2008, 12:47 PM
Look at our schedule... anyone who hates Ben also said we would be 7-9.
Anyone who predicted 7-9 because of our schedule must hate Ben? I think that is a fairly large generality. Fortunately MOST people predicted 9-7 or better so I guess they must love Ben.....or would that be too broad of an assumption? 8)

Jooser
12-22-2008, 01:02 PM
How many of you would have been screaming for Kordell's head had he turned in a performance like that yesterday? Really? Ben has been our leader for a while now and I think he's the best QB we've had here since Bubby,er Terry Bradshaw. But the fact of the matter is, he's having another terrible year, one not unlike the one he had 2 years ago after the accident and surgeries and such. Last year he had a great year with all those TD passes and the second highest QB rating in the NFL just behind Brady. Who was the OC last year? Oh, that's right, it was BA. Ben is just not 'that Ben' so far this season. Have we seen flashes of brilliance? Yep. Have we been treated to alot of really bad plays by him? Hell yes. The biggest beef I have with him now is his DECISION MAKING. He can't turn the ball over with that kind of frequency and then say, damn, the D laid an egg today. The fact of the matter is that without the D bailing this team out so that we could have a shot late, we would probably be looking at 3 or 4 more losses on the old record and not even a consideration for a Wild Card slot. Then how would Ben look to us? But, that's not reality now so I guess I'll leave the hyptheticals alone. No doubt the Steelers have won 50 games in 5 years with him at QB, but Ben doesn't get all the credit for all those wins. There are mistakes and great plays made by all players in games. It's the player that makes the most mistakes or great plays that gets their respective names in lights. I, for one, hope to hell that we see Ben's name up in lights for great things come playoff time, because without that, I doubt we'll get very far at all.

Enough blabbering,

-Jooser

SuperSize
12-22-2008, 01:30 PM
Some people are hilarious! One week Ben is great, the next week he sucks...it will never change.

Did he play poorly yesterday? Without a doubt. Was he the only reason the Steelers lost? Hardly.

His track record is what it is...50 wins in 5 years, but more importantly, 11 wins this year and the #2 seed while playing a very difficult schedule.

I am more concerned that he get healthy (along with Parker, Harrison, etc.) and be ready to play in 2 weeks. Yes, he has bad games, horrible if that's the word you want to use, but his record says that he wins 70% of the time he takes the field (50-21 reg season, 5-2 post season).


Merry Christmas & Happy New Year,


Pete

17 TD's and 14 INT's what do you call that?
QB's get all the credit for wins and all the blame for losses...

I'm not concerned with Ben playing bad in a game that knocks us from a #1 to a #2 seed.

Look at our schedule... anyone who hates Ben also said we would be 7-9.

I just want Ben to stop turning the ball over. At least give our defense a decent chance to defend with favorable odds. IMO, Ben lost that game single handedly.

Ben didn't give up a 3rd & 19. Ben didn't get called for a stupid Unsportsmanlike penalty that lead to a TD. Ben didn't miss a 1 on 1 tackle opportunity to stop Tennessee on 4th down. Ben didn't get beat for 3-1/2 sacks by a second string DL.

That being said, I take no responsibility off of his shoulders for his bad play. To say he lost the game single-handedly is ridiculous.

Now go meet Flasteel after school, I'm sure he'll be waiting for you :roll:


Pete

NorthCoast
12-22-2008, 01:36 PM
Ben had a bad game.. it happens. We played a brutal schedule and didn't have it yesterday... The Titans were able to get pressure with the front 4...
when you can drop 7 and get pressure Ben has to check down to the RB more often.

I'm frustrated that once again.. we have first and goal and look like idiots.

My biggest concern though is the TE's. Those 3 are the WORST blocking TE's I have ever seen. Miller and Spaeth suck at blocking.

We had chances.. and we blew them. But the #1 seed in the AFC is over rated and we also needed to go into the playoffs with a loss. Imagine if Ben pulled out a miracle.. he and Arians would think what they are doing is working and it is not.

Oh.. and Ben needs to stop the audible to the run with 1 second left on the clock.. sheez... talk about an easy way to jump the snap?


Which begs the question which is easier to find in the draft, a blocking TE or a good blocking FB? BA's grand plan blew up when the FO failed to find him a couple of good blocking TEs. BA failed by not altering his grand plan when he did not have the players to run it.

Flasteel
12-22-2008, 01:56 PM
FU! Don't start that name calling bullsht with me. It's my opinion Ben is arrogant, too bad if you don't like it.

Why are you so in love with Ben, are you his bed buddy or something.

The game is much bigger than Ben and he doesn't seem to think so. Did you not hear the color commentators say when Tomlin wanted to run a QB sneak last week if Holmes didn't get the TD Ben said NO! And, when Ben is hurt and is hurting the team playing injured, why doesn't he let the back up come in??? It's the 110,000,000 dollars. Do you see all those zero's? That's enough zero's to make anyone arrogant and if you can't see that for yourself than you are obviously the stupid one.

Are you finished with middle school yet? One of the most juvenile posts I've ever read here. If you're angry about his performance yesterday (which in my opinion was horrible...not just bad) and are jusy venting, then I guess you have that right, but your logic is on par with that of an emotionally disturbed child.Meet me after school punk. Honestly, I've read plenty of your posts and you have no room to talk. :roll:

Yeah, my posts are filled with irrational statements which call out players for being arrogant based on their salary. I'm also quite adept at using phrases such as bed buddy and saying FU when I don't agree with someone who isn't going over the top.

Look BDE, you are definitly entitled to your opinion, but you may want to back it up with something more than inane ramblings that aren't skewed by your anger or bias.

BDESteel
12-22-2008, 02:36 PM
FU! Don't start that name calling bullsht with me. It's my opinion Ben is arrogant, too bad if you don't like it.

Why are you so in love with Ben, are you his bed buddy or something.

The game is much bigger than Ben and he doesn't seem to think so. Did you not hear the color commentators say when Tomlin wanted to run a QB sneak last week if Holmes didn't get the TD Ben said NO! And, when Ben is hurt and is hurting the team playing injured, why doesn't he let the back up come in??? It's the 110,000,000 dollars. Do you see all those zero's? That's enough zero's to make anyone arrogant and if you can't see that for yourself than you are obviously the stupid one.

Are you finished with middle school yet? One of the most juvenile posts I've ever read here. If you're angry about his performance yesterday (which in my opinion was horrible...not just bad) and are jusy venting, then I guess you have that right, but your logic is on par with that of an emotionally disturbed child.Meet me after school punk. Honestly, I've read plenty of your posts and you have no room to talk. :roll:

Yeah, my posts are filled with irrational statements which call out players for being arrogant based on their salary. I'm also quite adept at using phrases such as bed buddy and saying FU when I don't agree with someone who isn't going over the top.

Look BDE, you are definitly entitled to your opinion, but you may want to back it up with something more than inane ramblings that aren't skewed by your anger or bias.

17 TD's and 14 INT's - Either you missed that little important piece of information or you just choose to ignore it. Go back and read everything I said. I've made plenty of good sense, maybe you're just to much of a Homer to be swayed?

proudpittsburgher
12-22-2008, 02:52 PM
FU! Don't start that name calling bullsht with me. It's my opinion Ben is arrogant, too bad if you don't like it.

Why are you so in love with Ben, are you his bed buddy or something.

The game is much bigger than Ben and he doesn't seem to think so. Did you not hear the color commentators say when Tomlin wanted to run a QB sneak last week if Holmes didn't get the TD Ben said NO! And, when Ben is hurt and is hurting the team playing injured, why doesn't he let the back up come in??? It's the 110,000,000 dollars. Do you see all those zero's? That's enough zero's to make anyone arrogant and if you can't see that for yourself than you are obviously the stupid one.

Are you finished with middle school yet? One of the most juvenile posts I've ever read here. If you're angry about his performance yesterday (which in my opinion was horrible...not just bad) and are jusy venting, then I guess you have that right, but your logic is on par with that of an emotionally disturbed child.Meet me after school punk. Honestly, I've read plenty of your posts and you have no room to talk. :roll:

Yeah, my posts are filled with irrational statements which call out players for being arrogant based on their salary. I'm also quite adept at using phrases such as bed buddy and saying FU when I don't agree with someone who isn't going over the top.

Look BDE, you are definitly entitled to your opinion, but you may want to back it up with something more than inane ramblings that aren't skewed by your anger or bias.

17 TD's and 14 INT's - Either you missed that little important piece of information or you just choose to ignore it. Go back and read everything I said. I've made plenty of good sense, maybe you're just to much of a Homer to be swayed?

It's the "what have you done for me lately" crowd that ticks me off. So you say that because he has 17 TD's and 14 INT's this season, he should be benched? What about being the winningest Qb EVER for his first 5 years? No, you seem to be a lot like MSM, find the stats which you base your opinion on and call them gospel. :lol: Whatever floats your boat, dude.

Steeler Mafia
12-22-2008, 03:25 PM
It's the "what have you done for me lately" crowd that ticks me off. So you say that because he has 17 TD's and 14 INT's this season, he should be benched? What about being the winningest Qb EVER for his first 5 years? No, you seem to be a lot like MSM, find the stats which you base your opinion on and call them gospel. :lol: Whatever floats your boat, dude.

While I would agree the "what have you done for me lately" crowd does get on ones nerves, I would like to think that most of here come from the "we know what you can do, step up and do it" philosophy.

Jooser
12-22-2008, 03:41 PM
It's the "what have you done for me lately" crowd that ticks me off. So you say that because he has 17 TD's and 14 INT's this season, he should be benched? What about being the winningest Qb EVER for his first 5 years? No, you seem to be a lot like MSM, find the stats which you base your opinion on and call them gospel. :lol: Whatever floats your boat, dude.

While I would agree the "what have you done for me lately" crowd does get on ones nerves, I would like to think that most of here come from the "we know what you can do, step up and do it" philosophy.


:Clap Exactly.

feltdizz
12-22-2008, 04:17 PM
Look at our schedule... anyone who hates Ben also said we would be 7-9.
Anyone who predicted 7-9 because of our schedule must hate Ben? I think that is a fairly large generality. Fortunately MOST people predicted 9-7 or better so I guess they must love Ben.....or would that be too broad of an assumption? 8)

I would think most Steeler fans do love Ben... or at least appreciate what he has brought to this team. Sure he stinks the place up at times but in a game that decides the #1 and #2 seeds I'll take that ugly performance now then later...

I had a feeling if we won another late game heart stopper Ben would have saved this performance for the playoffs..

hopefully he will learn from it.

:Blah

NorthCoast
12-22-2008, 05:43 PM
Look at our schedule... anyone who hates Ben also said we would be 7-9.
Anyone who predicted 7-9 because of our schedule must hate Ben? I think that is a fairly large generality. Fortunately MOST people predicted 9-7 or better so I guess they must love Ben.....or would that be too broad of an assumption? 8)

I would think most Steeler fans do love Ben... or at least appreciate what he has brought to this team. Sure he stinks the place up at times but in a game that decides the #1 and #2 seeds I'll take that ugly performance now then later...

I had a feeling if we won another late game heart stopper Ben would have saved this performance for the playoffs..

hopefully he will learn from it.

:Blah

Strange how these threads evolve. I began the post with the simple observation that Ben had a bad day. Then it turns into Ben-hating and other yaa..daa. Bad days happen to all of us. It's no biggey....I am sure he will show up for the playoffs and that's all that counts right now.

skyhawk
12-22-2008, 06:08 PM
Look at our schedule... anyone who hates Ben also said we would be 7-9.
Anyone who predicted 7-9 because of our schedule must hate Ben? I think that is a fairly large generality. Fortunately MOST people predicted 9-7 or better so I guess they must love Ben.....or would that be too broad of an assumption? 8)

I would think most Steeler fans do love Ben... or at least appreciate what he has brought to this team. Sure he stinks the place up at times but in a game that decides the #1 and #2 seeds I'll take that ugly performance now then later...

I had a feeling if we won another late game heart stopper Ben would have saved this performance for the playoffs..

hopefully he will learn from it.

:Blah

Strange how these threads evolve. I began the post with the simple observation that Ben had a bad day. Then it turns into Ben-hating and other yaa..daa. Bad days happen to all of us. It's no biggey....I am sure he will show up for the playoffs and that's all that counts right now.

Too bad Ben's offensive line is horrible most of the time. Too bad he has no run game. Too bad he has receivers that on most teams would be second string. They cannot get open or create separation most of the time.

NorthCoast
12-22-2008, 06:20 PM
Look at our schedule... anyone who hates Ben also said we would be 7-9.
Anyone who predicted 7-9 because of our schedule must hate Ben? I think that is a fairly large generality. Fortunately MOST people predicted 9-7 or better so I guess they must love Ben.....or would that be too broad of an assumption? 8)

I would think most Steeler fans do love Ben... or at least appreciate what he has brought to this team. Sure he stinks the place up at times but in a game that decides the #1 and #2 seeds I'll take that ugly performance now then later...

I had a feeling if we won another late game heart stopper Ben would have saved this performance for the playoffs..

hopefully he will learn from it.

:Blah

Strange how these threads evolve. I began the post with the simple observation that Ben had a bad day. Then it turns into Ben-hating and other yaa..daa. Bad days happen to all of us. It's no biggey....I am sure he will show up for the playoffs and that's all that counts right now.

Too bad Ben's offensive line is horrible most of the time. Too bad he has no run game. Too bad he has receivers that on most teams would be second string. They cannot get open or create separation most of the time.

He's had all of those things all season long and still found enough plays to win 11 games (or at least not lose them). Yesterday he did not find those plays...props to the Titan D.

Steelerphile
12-22-2008, 07:28 PM
I personally don't think Ben felt the urgency in this game. It was not a must-win. I think the Baltimore game was much more of a must-win game and he showed up with an Elwayesque final drive to win.

This game he played looser because the Steelers had a bye and one home game wrapped up. That is what they need most. Two home games would be icing on the cake and maybe too much of easy road. When the Steelers hosted those AFC championship games during Cowher's tenure, many people took the approach that the win was almost a foregone conclusion, and I think the team relaxed and blew some opportunities.

Now they have one game at home where they should be favored and if they succeed and also Tennessee wins, then they will go into hostile territory and the odds will be against them and most of the world will expect them to lose. Under those circumstances, they should perform their best. So I am not completely shocked or disappointed by this game. I expect a lot more intensity when the playoffs begin.

Steeler Shades
12-22-2008, 07:48 PM
Strange how these threads evolve. I began the post with the simple observation that Ben had a bad day. Then it turns into Ben-hating and other yaa..daa. Bad days happen to all of us. It's no biggey....I am sure he will show up for the playoffs and that's all that counts right now.
Some people interpret a thread title "Bad Day for Ben" as Ben hating. While it may be a "simple" observation, the next thing you know you get a lot of "yaa..daa" posts. I'm personally feeling a lot better now that I know that wasn't your intention and that bad days happen to all of us. 8)

proudpittsburgher
12-23-2008, 09:03 AM
Strange how these threads evolve. I began the post with the simple observation that Ben had a bad day. Then it turns into Ben-hating and other yaa..daa. Bad days happen to all of us. It's no biggey....I am sure he will show up for the playoffs and that's all that counts right now.
Some people interpret a thread title "Bad Day for Ben" as Ben hating. While it may be a "simple" observation, the next thing you know you get a lot of "yaa..daa" posts. I'm personally feeling a lot better now that I know that wasn't your intention and that bad days happen to all of us. 8)

It's not the original post, shades, as much as some fo the comments afterwards

ramblinjim
12-23-2008, 11:32 AM
Flasteel wrote:
BDESteel wrote:
proudpittsburgher wrote:
Steeler Shades wrote:
proudpittsburgher wrote:
...since he also fumbled twice.

He fumbled four times. Two were recovered by the Titans. Plus 2 picks including one for a pick 6. 8)


Yes, you are correct. I should have said lost two fumbles today. Ben had a bad performance. Not a horrible game, but bad nonetheless. But to call Ben arrogant is just stupid.

FU! Don't start that name calling bullsht with me. It's my opinion Ben is arrogant, too bad if you don't like it.

Why are you so in love with Ben, are you his bed buddy or something.

The game is much bigger than Ben and he doesn't seem to think so. Did you not hear the color commentators say when Tomlin wanted to run a QB sneak last week if Holmes didn't get the TD Ben said NO! And, when Ben is hurt and is hurting the team playing injured, why doesn't he let the back up come in??? It's the 110,000,000 dollars. Do you see all those zero's? That's enough zero's to make anyone arrogant and if you can't see that for yourself than you are obviously the stupid one.


Are you finished with middle school yet? One of the most juvenile posts I've ever read here. If you're angry about his performance yesterday (which in my opinion was horrible...not just bad) and are jusy venting, then I guess you have that right, but your logic is on par with that of an emotionally disturbed child.
Meet me after school punk. Honestly, I've read plenty of your posts and you have no room to talk.



Really????? Guys this kind of crap is why most of us left the Trib board in the first place. Ok, you disagree, fine. None of us agree on everything and there's nothing wrong with giving each other a hard time but this "FU" and "emotionally disturbed child" is Trib stuff.

Steeler Shades
12-23-2008, 12:28 PM
Really????? Guys this kind of crap is why most of us left the Trib board in the first place. Ok, you disagree, fine. None of us agree on everything and there's nothing wrong with giving each other a hard time but this "FU" and "emotionally disturbed child" is Trib stuff.
I could be wrong (and often am) but didn't a Mod already address the above FU posts? 8)

ramblinjim
12-23-2008, 01:06 PM
Really????? Guys this kind of crap is why most of us left the Trib board in the first place. Ok, you disagree, fine. None of us agree on everything and there's nothing wrong with giving each other a hard time but this "FU" and "emotionally disturbed child" is Trib stuff.
I could be wrong (and often am) but didn't a Mod already address the above FU posts? 8)


Oh, whoops.... Thanks. I'm glad.

BDESteel
12-23-2008, 01:25 PM
Really????? Guys this kind of crap is why most of us left the Trib board in the first place. Ok, you disagree, fine. None of us agree on everything and there's nothing wrong with giving each other a hard time but this "FU" and "emotionally disturbed child" is Trib stuff.
I could be wrong (and often am) but didn't a Mod already address the above FU posts? 8)
They did and I apologize for offending anyone but like they say don't start no mess, won't be no mess. I blew up when I was called stupid, usually I'm pretty level headed and very respectful of others.

Anyway, let's move on, take care of the brownies and get ready for the Playoffs. :tt1

ikestops85
12-23-2008, 03:40 PM
I am more concerned that the offense has been out of sync for most of the season. It seems like we commit one of the following key mistakes on most of our drives which effectively ends the drive:

Receiver drops ball
Ben gets sacked - line resembles a turnstile
Ben gets sacked - held ball for 10 seconds
All out blitz - hot receiver doesn't notice
Holding penalty
3rd and 1 - RB gets stuffed for a loss

As the QB of this offense Ben will reap the majority of the credit when it's functioning well and get most of the blame when it F's up. It works that way for all NFL teams. Ben has always been a high risk - high reward QB. I think the only difference between the Ben this year and the Ben from last year is all the mistakes the offense on the whole is making. That makes them all start to press and the mistakes seem to snowball.

another thing is Ben seems to be listening to his critics instead of just playing naturally. A great example of that is against the Titans when he fumbled near the goal line. In the past Ben would have kept his head up and saw Nate wide open in the back of the endzone. Instead he listened to his critics, who keep harping on why Ben doesn't run with the ball anymore, and tried to take it in himself. Of course that didn't even save him because now others criticize him for not sliding and taking the sure 3 points. Of course if he did that others would blame him for being soft and not trying to score. Just the life of an NFL QB ... damned if you do and damned if you don't.

I don't know what Ben's personality is like ... whether he is arrogant or not. Although I must say that he has never come across in the interviews I have seen him in as arrogant. I do know that the guy is a winner. He does the things it takes to win games. It may not always be pretty but somehow the vast majority of the time his team comes out of the contest with a higher score than the opponent. What more can you ask for in a QB?

Steeler Shades
12-23-2008, 04:08 PM
A great example of that is against the Titans when he fumbled near the goal line. In the past Ben would have kept his head up and saw Nate wide open in the back of the endzone. Instead he listened to his critics, who keep harping on why Ben doesn't run with the ball anymore, and tried to take it in himself. Of course that didn't even save him because now others criticize him for not sliding and taking the sure 3 points. Of course if he did that others would blame him for being soft and not trying to score. Just the life of an NFL QB ... damned if you do and damned if you don't.
It was actually his "critics" fault that he fumbled?

He does the things it takes to win games. It may not always be pretty but somehow the vast majority of the time his team comes out of the contest with a higher score than the opponent. What more can you ask for in a QB?
Unfortunately he also does things that lose games. But that may not be his fault....it might be the fault of his critics.
http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Confused/confused-8.gif

ikestops85
12-23-2008, 05:03 PM
It was actually his "critics" fault that he fumbled?
Not what I said and not what I implied. It's just that if the steelers don't score in that situation he will be criticized, most likely by people like you ... a no win situation. Please name me a QB that is successful 100% of the time. Please name me a QB that doesn't make mistakes. Because that is what some here are asking for ... a perfect QB. Do you get it now?


Unfortunately he also does things that lose games. But that may not be his fault....it might be the fault of his critics.
http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Confused/confused-8.gif
How many QBs have been on the winning team more than Ben the last 5 years? Besides, Ben doesn't WIN games, he HELPS WIN games. The contrary is also true ... he doesn't LOSE games but he does HELP LOSE games. I know it's a subtle difference but I hope it's not lost on you.

Steeler Shades
12-23-2008, 06:00 PM
It was actually his "critics" fault that he fumbled?Not what I said and not what I implied.
Exactly what you said and implied. Ben did the following because "he listened to his critics". Although HOW you know why Ben does anything escapes me.



Unfortunately he also does things that lose games. But that may not be his fault....it might be the fault of his critics. Ben doesn't WIN games, he HELPS WIN games. The contrary is also true ... he doesn't LOSE games but he does HELP LOSE games. I know it's a subtle difference but I hope it's not lost on you.
The subtle difference is not lost on me and I agree that he helps BOTH to win games and to lose games. Your question was "What more can you ask for in a QB?", and my answer is to contribute less to "helping" to lose games and more to "helping" to win games. 8)

ikestops85
12-23-2008, 06:44 PM
[quote="Steeler Shades":1xds14s9]It was actually his "critics" fault that he fumbled?Not what I said and not what I implied.
Exactly what you said and implied. Ben did the following because "he listened to his critics". Although HOW you know why Ben does anything escapes me.



Unfortunately he also does things that lose games. But that may not be his fault....it might be the fault of his critics. Ben doesn't WIN games, he HELPS WIN games. The contrary is also true ... he doesn't LOSE games but he does HELP LOSE games. I know it's a subtle difference but I hope it's not lost on you.
The subtle difference is not lost on me and I agree that he helps BOTH to win games and to lose games. Your question was "What more can you ask for in a QB?", and my answer is to contribute less to "helping" to lose games and more to "helping" to win games. 8)[/quote:1xds14s9]

I would have to assume that ALL quarterbacks would strive to help win more games as opposed to help lose more games. To me that's pretty obvious. I would just like to know how many HAVE helped to win more games than Ben has in the last 5 years?

Steeler Shades
12-23-2008, 07:05 PM
Exactly what you said and implied. Ben did the following because "he listened to his critics". Although HOW you know why Ben does anything escapes me.
How did you know what Ben was thinking?


I would have to assume that ALL quarterbacks would strive to help win more games as opposed to help lose more games. To me that's pretty obvious.
Couldn't agree more.


I would just like to know how many HAVE helped to win more games than Ben has in the last 5 years?
You didn't know that Ben just set a record for the most wins in his first five years? The question should be "how many games has Ben contributed to winning this year by his good QB play, and how many games has his teamates had to overcome his poor play in order for Ben to "contribute" to the win"? 8)