PDA

View Full Version : Positive passing numbers

Chachi
12-20-2008, 01:01 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/w ... ml?eref=T1 (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/adam_duerson/12/19/gotw/index.html?eref=T1)

In the meantime, it's worth noting how the constant rush has changed Roethlisberger's approach to passing in '08. He's started to play like he's expecting to get walloped on every play. Last week's game-winning toss to Santonio Holmes not withstanding, watch Big Ben in the pocket and you'll see he's getting rid of the ball extremely quick, which means he's missing out on some of the big plays that might open up if he could only hang tight a moment longer.

It's also worth mentioning here that there's an upside to Roethlisberger's new quick release that was evident on Pittsburgh's final drive of last week's win in Baltimore. During that 12-play possession he got rid of the ball in three seconds or less -- more often, it was far less -- on all but the final play, which he kept alive with a long scramble. On the four passes prior to Holmes' touchdown, Roethlisberger had released in roughly 1.5, 2, 1.5 and 0.5 seconds for gains of 9, 24 and 10, plus one incompletion. When Baltimore's defense trudged off the field, it did so without having touched Roethlisberger once during the most important drive of its season.

Big Ben?

Quick release?

wha wha what?

costanza2k1
12-20-2008, 01:53 AM
I'm glad to see this is in play now with him. He's already perfected the medium to long game last year and before. Now he has a short game going. IT IS ON!

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-20-2008, 12:50 PM
I'm glad to see this is in play now with him. He's already perfected the medium to long game last year and before. Now he has a short game going. IT IS ON!

Friggin A, Stanz, right on. This is the year that we'll look back on and say it's the one that made him a true HoF QB. There weren't any guarantees he'd rise to meet this challenge (playing behind a porous O-line, to put it charitably), he could easily have kept beating his head against the brick wall of 7 step drops and long balls that only got him beat up and out. Instead, he has developed these new skills of the quick read and quick release ... forged under fire ...

I think we now have a QB for the ages! (And we only have the ****ty play calling of Ariens to thank for it? ... NOOOOOO!).