PDA

View Full Version : Cookin' With Beano: The Rooney Family

costanza2k1
12-19-2008, 02:32 PM
[espn:2r6s0gay]3780131&n8pe6c=2[/espn:2r6s0gay]

buckeyehoppy
12-19-2008, 09:29 PM
Stanz:

Thanx for posting this. I've always appreciated Beano's POV, even if he did declare that Ron Pawlus was going to win 3 Hypeman Trophies.

Here he is spot on. And not just about Dan Rooney, but about the entire economic structure of sports with the NFL and MLB being his prime examples.

The NFL MUST KEEP REVENUE SHARING!!! Pro sports is not like any other economic organism. The markets and the access to those markets are very limited and exclusive. Not just anyone can get involved.

If large markets had their way, they would blow the economic structure of pro sports out of the water. Think it's expensive to attend games? The big markets would love to put the price of a game completely out of reach for all but the richest or most well-connected people. These people wouldn't necessarily be fans and would use games as an opportunity to entertain clients and as a tax write off. The game would be secondary to the business opportunity for most "fans" if the large markets had their way.

I don't know what I'd do if the NFL cast away revenue sharing and the salary cap, but it would probably affect the way I deal with the game entirely. I'd be literally sick about it because it would probably be the death of the Steelers as we all know them.

stlrz d
12-19-2008, 10:13 PM
Buckeye - That's pretty much what Jerry Jones is doing in his new stadium with the $100,000 PSL fees. :evil: