PDA

View Full Version : Dungy: Peyton not NFL MVP-worthy, but guess who is?

Ezekiel 25:17
12-18-2008, 03:04 PM
James Harrison!!

According to ProFootballTalk.com

DUNGY: JAMES HARRISON IS THE NFL MVP
Posted by Michael David Smith on December 18, 2008, 11:28 a.m.
As the Colts continue their turnaround from a 3-4 start to their current 10-4 record, many people are picking quarterback Peyton Manning as the league’s Most Valuable Player.

But Manning’s coach, Tony Dungy, has a different choice for MVP.

Dungy said on Sirius NFL Radio that he believes Steelers linebacker James Harrison is the league’s true MVP.

“To me, he does a lot,” Dungy said of Harrison. “He’s like Randy Moss or Dwight Freeney. You have to game plan for him in terms of how you’re going to block him in the passing game, so he puts that on the table even before the game starts. And then he does other things: He drops in pass coverage, he covers tight ends, you can move him around, and he’s not just a one-dimensional rusher. He’s a linebacker who also rushes, and he’s been the most dominant player on the best defense in football, and by next Sunday they might have the best record in football.”

Dungy may be particularly swayed by the way Harrison played against his own team: In the Colts’ Week 10 win over the Steelers, Harrison recorded nine solo tackles and a sack.

Anchoring this defense not by his chatter ala Ray Jazz Hands or Jay Peezy, but by his actions speaking louder than his words ala Terrell Davis, Walter Payton and other quiet leaders.

Glad he's one of us.

Iron Shiek
12-18-2008, 03:09 PM
Yeah its not surprising though. Dungy is a defensive guy, so he probably likes the idea of a defender to win the award. And he never looks for accolades for himself or his team, he's a pretty humble guy.

With that said, I agree with him. He's a genius! :Steel

Ozey74
12-18-2008, 03:09 PM
Flattering words. But, I'm not sure if I like all of these recent accolades and words of praise by those around the league.

I think I prefer the Steelers in the role of the scapy tough junkyard dog that is fighting for scraps of food.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a159/doctorscissors/JunkYardDog.jpg

RuthlessBurgher
12-18-2008, 03:35 PM
Once a Steeler, always a Steeler...Dungy is such a Pittsburgh homer. :)

Iron Shiek
12-18-2008, 03:53 PM
In other news, Phil Simms was on Sirius NFL Radio just now. And the question was posed to him regarding NFL MVP. He says it will come down to these final two weeks, but as of now its Harrison for him as well. Then he mentioned that Peyton Manning should be in the mix, and don't discount Polamalu. Simms regarded him as the best all-around safety in a long time. The fact that he can do everything is a huge factor as to why he would consider him for MVP as well.

:tt2

Ezekiel 25:17
12-18-2008, 04:01 PM
M-V-P!

M-V-P!

M-V-P!

M-V-P!

:tt2 :tt2 :tt2

Discipline of Steel
12-19-2008, 12:37 AM
I agree, he is a Steeler at heart and loves the D. But in this case, I believe he did pick the player who impresses him the most. The player he wishes he had on his team.

flippy
12-19-2008, 07:47 AM
Debo

Acero
12-19-2008, 09:54 AM
Popcorn Deebo!

:tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2

pittpete
12-19-2008, 12:26 PM
Harrison hands down
Guy made a team change thier offense just to contain him.

papillon
12-19-2008, 12:36 PM
Tony changed his mind after last night's performance by Peyton. He said in the post game interview that he believed that Peyton may be the MVP.

Pappy

Iron Shiek
12-19-2008, 12:38 PM
I kinda did too. Not for who I want to see as MVP, but who I think will win MVP.

That kind of performance (this late in the season) will sway voters. Deebo will have to have back to back "Raven Monday Night games from last year" to win most likely. But I'm not saying he can't do it!!!

papillon
12-19-2008, 01:12 PM
I kinda did too. Not for who I want to see as MVP, but who I think will win MVP.

That kind of performance (this late in the season) will sway voters. Deebo will have to have back to back "Raven Monday Night games from last year" to win most likely. But I'm not saying he can't do it!!!

My only problem with it is that James Harrison has performed at MVP level for 14 games. Peyton Manning stunk for the first 7 games of this year. They should take the entire body of work into consideration. You can't be bad for half the season and overtake a guy that's been lights out for the entire season.

Maybe, Silverback has a monster game against the Titans and gets himself back to the forefront a bit.

Pappy

stlrz d
12-19-2008, 03:17 PM
So who thinks Dungy was trying to motivate Manning?

RuthlessBurgher
12-19-2008, 04:25 PM
So who thinks Dungy was trying to motivate Manning?

I think he was warning Peyton about his fate should we meet in the playoffs. He was harrassed by Porter in the '05 playoff game and probably thought, "Whew...at least he's gone now." Dungy was just reminding him that we have an even better one this year.