PDA

View Full Version : BLOG/NEWS: Wednesday Dale Lolly

costanza2k1
12-18-2008, 02:17 AM
Wednesday, December 17, 2008
Wednesday update
Sorry this is so late, but I'm trying to fit Christmas shopping in among everything else.

Quite a few bodies missing from practice today, but none are really considered serious.

Ryan Clark was hobbled today by a sore foot, but it's not expected to keep him out of Sunday's game at Tennessee.

In fact, foot injuries were the craze today as James Harrison and Troy Polamalu also were out with them. Again, they aren't considered serious.

© Speaking to some different guys in the locker room, I got some interesting answers to why they thought there hadn't been a holding penalty called against a Steelers opponent in 23 quarters – a span of nearly six games.

I'll have that story in Friday's Observer-Reporter.

© There were more than a few guys ticked off about the team's three Pro Bowl selections. But, as was pointed out, last year's Giants had just one Pro Bowl representative.

These guys will take a Super Bowl over a Pro Bowl every day.

© James Farrior offered to take anyone from the defense with him to Hawaii who wants to go.
Posted by Dale Lolley at 10:14 PM

RuthlessBurgher
12-18-2008, 10:24 PM
Speaking to some different guys in the locker room, I got some interesting answers to why they thought there hadn't been a holding penalty called against a Steelers opponent in 23 quarters – a span of nearly six games.

I want to read that story.

Herewegosteelers!
12-19-2008, 08:22 AM
Wow, I didn't know it's been that long. I wonder what the all time record is (if they keep track of this) because the way the refs call penalties today, this just doesn't happen.

stlrz d
12-19-2008, 08:31 AM
Speaking to some different guys in the locker room, I got some interesting answers to why they thought there hadn't been a holding penalty called against a Steelers opponent in 23 quarters – a span of nearly six games.

Same here.

flippy
12-19-2008, 08:33 AM
Wonder if I could pretend to be on the defense so Farrior would take me to Hawaii?

JAR
12-19-2008, 09:27 AM

I believe this is it....

http://www.observer-reporter.com/OR/Sto ... -penalties (http://www.observer-reporter.com/OR/Story/12-18-Steelers-holding-penalties)

No holding back on this issue for Steelers' defense
This article has been read 140 times.
By F. Dale Lolley, Staff writer

dlolley@observer-reporter.com

PITTSBURGH - If it's happened once, it's happened a couple of dozen times.

A Steelers defender slips into the opponent's backfield only to have an offensive player wrap an arm around his neck, as if he's trying to apply a professional wrestling sleeper hold.

And in the past six games, it hasn't resulted in a holding penalty on the offense, a span of 24 quarters.

What gives?

"We don't get held," Hampton said with a growing smirk on his face. "That's the bottom line. They don't hold us.

"(Offensive lines) play their best game against us every week. They just block us so well. They never hold us."

Hampton obviously doesn't believe that and neither do his teammates.

But the fact remains that it's been nearly two months since an offensive line has been called for holding against the Steelers - three were called against the Washington Redskins Nov. 3. During that span, the Steelers (11-3) have been called for offensive holding eight times. Hampton even drew a defensive holding penalty in a game against Dallas earlier this month.

"If they're not calling it, I guess they're not holding us," said linebacker James Harrison, who leads the Steelers with 15 sacks.

"There's nothing we can do about it. If they're not going to call it, then they're not going to call it."

Even with the lack of holding penalties in recent games, Pittsburgh's opponents still have been penalized for it more times than the Steelers (21-19).

The lack of holding calls has been a growing trend in the NFL the past few seasons. There were 881 holding penalties called in the NFL in 2005, when the Steelers won their last Super Bowl. That number fell to 576 in 2006, a decrease of 34 percent.

Holding penalties stayed roughly the same in 2007, but the league is on pace for only 543 such calls this season.

And the offenses have responded by putting up big numbers against everyone but the Steelers. Pittsburgh has given up an NFL-low 192 points and has not allowed an opponent to gain 300 yards in 14 consecutive games. That ties the 1973 Los Angeles Rams for the longest such streak since 1970.

While scoring in the league is up, interceptions are down. Fewer holding penalties equals more time for quarterbacks to scan the field and more time for receivers to get open.

"There's really nothing you can do about it," said linebacker James Farrior. "We talk to the refs about it during the game, 'Watch so and so and so forth.' But if they're not calling it, there's nothing you can do."

Odds and end zones

Defensive end Brett Keisel (knee) made it through his second consecutive practice. Keisel has missed the past three games. ... Safety Ryan Clark (foot), Harrison (foot), safety Troy Polamalu (foot), linebacker LaMarr Woodley (knee) all returned to practice Thursday after sitting out Wednesday. Defensive end Aaron Smith, wide receiver Hines Ward and running back Willie Parker also returned Thursday after sitting out Wednesday because of a coaching decision.

Acero
12-19-2008, 10:00 AM
If I were a betting man, I'd wager that the Titans offense will get called for holding at LEAST three times this week, one of them being against Mawae on Casey.

Write it down :)

birtikidis
12-19-2008, 10:15 AM
that last article sounds exactly the same as the one from Wed. well at least he's good at building up an article...
he may not be good at delivering the goods, but at least he can build it up.