PDA

View Full Version : NEWS: 3 investors injecting new blood into team

costanza2k1
12-18-2008, 02:16 AM
3 investors injecting new blood into team
Thursday, December 18, 2008
http://www.postgazette.com/pg/images/200812/haslamjimmy_160.jpg
Jimmy Haslam

For the first time, ownership of the Steelers will expand beyond the Rooney and McGinley families. Three new primary investors include a movie producer who is a lifelong Steelers fan, a family with Pittsburgh and Los Angeles ties, and the president of a Knoxville, Tenn., business that owns travel centers and truckstops throughout the country.

James A. Haslam III

Diesel fuel, banking, restaurant chains, athletics, philanthropy and Republican Party politics may seem like an eclectic mix. But for one of the Steelers newest investors, it's his life's story.

James A. "Jimmy" Haslam III has one of the better known names in Tennessee.

His father was a tackle for Tennessee on its 1951 national championship team and captain of the team the following year. After serving with the U.S. Army in Korea, he opened the first Pilot fuel stop in Gate City, Va.

Pilot, headquartered in Knoxville, is the largest supplier of off-the-road diesel fuel in the United States, and the nation's 25th largest restaurant franchise.

Jimmy Haslam, 54, is president of Pilot Travel Centers, the nation's largest retail operator of travel centers and truckstops.

With 13,000 employees, it has franchises from Connecticut to California and from Wisconsin to Texas. Its 300 retail facilities house such chains as Subway, Wendy's, Arby's, Taco Bell, Denny's and McDonald's. Pilot also owns and operates 40 convenience stores in the Knoxville area.

Mr. Haslam sits on the board of directors of the First Tennessee Bank National Corp. and the restaurant chain Ruby Tuesday Inc.

He was the financial manager for Republican Bob Corker in his successful bid for the U.S. Senate from Tennessee in 2006. Mr. Haslam has also made campaign contributions to President George W. Bush and the National Republican Senatorial Committee, according to campaignmoney.com, and he gave $10,000 to the Tennessee Republican Party in 2006. He is also a member of the Americans for Truth in Politics.

Mr. Haslam's brother, William, is mayor of Knoxville.

Mr. Haslam's father was recently recognized as making the largest donation ever to his alma mater, the University of Tennessee.

The family has made investments in sports teams before. In 2001, the Haslams purchased the Tennessee Smokies, a Class AA baseball team, from Don Beaver, who is a limited partner in the Pittsburgh Pirates.

A phone call to the Haslam residence last night was not returned.

Robert A. Paul

Robert A. Paul, 70, is the chairman and CEO of Ampco-Pittsburgh, a specialty steel manufacturer headquartered Downtown. He began his career there in 1964, when the company was known as Screw and Bolt Corporation of America, according to the University of Pittsburgh's Web site.

He lives in Squirrel Hill with his wife, Donna. The Pauls' children, Larry, 44, Stephen, 41, and Karen Zimmer, 39, are based in Pittsburgh and Los Angeles. They could not be reached for comment last night.

The family is involved in several businesses, including radio and television stations, cable and cellular phone operations, snow and ice removal equipment, and restaurants, among others, according to a news release.

Mr. Paul sits on the board of trustees at the University of Pittsburgh. He also sits on a number of other nonprofit boards, including the board of directors at UPMC, Cornell University and the Harvard Medical School.

"He's a very knowledgeable, sophisticated man of the world of finance," said Pitt spokesman Robert Hill. "He's a good, contributing board member who makes constructive contributions."

At Cornell University, where he is an emeritus member of the board of trustees and a presidential councillor, Mr. and Mrs. Paul established The Paul Awards, a scholarship for undergraduate advisers at the university.

Mr. Paul earned a bachelor's degree in economics from Cornell and an M.B.A. and J.D. from Harvard University, according to the University of Pittsburgh's Web site.

Thomas Tull

Hollywood movie producer Thomas Tull has been a die-hard Steelers fan from the time he watched his first football game -- the Steelers' 16-6 victory against the Minnesota Vikings in Super Bowl IX.

Since then, he has visited training camp in Latrobe and the Steelers offices on the South Side on several occasions, premiered one of his movies, "We Are Marshall," to Dan Rooney, former coach Bill Cowher and the Steelers players and delighted in getting to sit in the chair once used by the late Steelers owner and founder, Art Rooney Sr.

What's more, he never schedules a shoot or production meeting when the Steelers are playing, claiming he has never missed a snap since DirecTV debuted in 1994.

Now, after raising more than $500 million in private equity to establish Legendary Pictures, a film production company based in Burbank, Calif., Mr. Tull is one of the investors who will help finance the purchase of stock to become a minority owner in the Steelers franchise.

"The two things I love the most are movies and Steelers football," Mr. Tull said in a September interview with Steelers.com. "The fact that I can be around both is amazing. For me, especially the guys from the 70s, that is like Mount Olympus."

Mr. Tull, 38, who grew up in Binghamton, N.Y., not far from the Pennsylvania border, declined an interview request last night from the Post-Gazette, saying he preferred to let Dan Rooney and his son, Art II, have their day after the NFL owners approved their purchase of franchise stock from Dan Rooney's other four brothers.

Still, this is like a dream come true for Mr. Tull, who grew up in Binghamton and studied law and was a wide receiver on the football team at Hamilton College, an NCAA Division III school in Clinton, N.Y. After college, he bought and sold a small Laundromat chain, discovered how to raise money and eventually moved to Hollywood to purchase Legendary Pictures, which signed a 25-movie contract with Warner Brothers in 2005.

Among his movies: "Superman Returns" and "The Dark Knight."

"The Steelers versus the Vikings in the Super Bowl was the very first football I remember watching," Mr. Tull said in the book, "Steeler Nation," authored by Irwin resident Jim Wexell, a Pittsburgh-area sports journalist. "They were unbelievable and tough, and ever since I was a little kid I loved the Steelers and would wear the jersey, my little yellow wristbands, all that stuff."

Mr. Tull hasn't stopped there. Even though he never saw a game at Heinz Field until the season opener this year against the Houston Texans, he was a guest of Dan Rooney at St. Vincent College this summer, equating the experience of walking around training camp with the Steelers chairman to "like visiting the Vatican with the Pope," according to his interview in Steelers.com.

"It's something I am passionate about and love -- what the team stands for in terms of the way they play the game and have always played the game," Mr. Tull said in that interview. "I think the Rooney family is the classiest family in professional sports. I watch the way this team carries itself and it's fantastic."

-- Gerry Dulac
First published on December 18, 2008 at 12:59 am

steelblood
12-18-2008, 08:50 AM
I'd like to know what the current ownership percentages are and how much in debt Dan and Art are.

Oviedo
12-18-2008, 11:02 AM
I'd like to know what the current ownership percentages are and how much in debt Dan and Art are.

Debt will be the downfall of this keep the Rooneys at all costs. The negative impact cannot be downplayed of taking on new debt in this economy and diverting resources to pay it off.

Don't expect anything in free agency.

costanza2k1
12-18-2008, 11:19 AM

Dan now has 4 more percent and his son has 10 percent. The league acknowledges them as 1 owner combined to make them 30%. I don't know how much more debt 14% ownership is going to give them, I imagine not that much.

pfelix73
12-18-2008, 11:31 AM
Those 3 are just investors. They will not own a percentage of the team like the Rooneys do.

Dan will end up with a minimum 64% depending on the McGinley's.

The other 2 brothers will keep 8% each.

McGinleys are giving up something but not sure what.

64+16+20= 100%

Maybe Dan will end up with 70-75% before all is said and done.

I'm not worried in the least bit regarding this sale as it was the right thing to do. Now, it'll be more of a sound business actually with him having the majority control.

papillon
12-18-2008, 11:34 AM
These guys aren't going to stand idly by and let Dan and Art run this team, regardless of their (the Rooneys) past success. The investors are all successful and motivated. They will want a say in what goes on and they don't have the knowledge or the background to provide any input.

It may not happen at first, but, it will happen. People who accrue the type of wealth that these men have don't do it by sitting behind the scenes and letting others take the lead.

Pappy

SteelBucks
12-18-2008, 11:34 AM

I never do.

Oviedo
12-18-2008, 12:04 PM
These guys aren't going to stand idly by and let Dan and Art run this team, regardless of their (the Rooneys) past success. The investors are all successful and motivated. They will want a say in what goes on and they don't have the knowledge or the background to provide any input.

It may not happen at first, but, it will happen. People who accrue the type of wealth that these men have don't do it by sitting behind the scenes and letting others take the lead.

Pappy

What a nightmare. Clueless individuals like posters on this board who may actually have a say. Disaster :stirpot

eniparadoxgma
12-18-2008, 01:18 PM

Debt will be the downfall of this keep the Rooneys at all costs. The negative impact cannot be downplayed of taking on new debt in this economy and diverting resources to pay it off.

When do we? lol

eniparadoxgma
12-18-2008, 01:19 PM

Pappy

What a nightmare. Clueless individuals like posters on this board who may actually have a say. Disaster :stirpot

PANIC!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111111111111111111111111

papillon
12-18-2008, 01:26 PM

Pappy

Are you agreeing with me? or disagreeing?

Pappy

Iron Shiek
12-18-2008, 02:17 PM

Pappy

PANIC!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111111111111111111111111

Destruction and Mayhem!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAH!

http://public.globalnet.hr/~gvlahovi/ekologija/destruction-of-forests-9.jpg
http://oi.uchicago.edu/museum/special/catastrophe/i/catastrophe_photo5.jpg
http://tbn1.google.com/images?q=tbn:LYZ1LIsngMhSRM:http://media.kiiitv.com/images/TankerExplosion.jpg

Oviedo
12-18-2008, 02:24 PM

Pappy

Are you agreeing with me? or disagreeing?

Pappy

I agree that they will want a say versus just getting better seats. They will also want money back. Maybe Rooney can put hem on a committee to find a wife for Steely McBeam.

DBinAL
12-18-2008, 04:44 PM
I disagree with the butterfly.

They have made their money and now want to spend some of it. This is their opportunity of a lifetime to be asociated with a proven winner. They will expect the Rooneys to be good stewards of their investment, but will not be making any claims to 'become part of the process.' These new investors will stay in the background unless the 'Steeler way' becomes unsuccessful. That's my 2 cents worth.

Oviedo
12-18-2008, 04:52 PM

They have made their money and now want to spend some of it. This is their opportunity of a lifetime to be asociated with a proven winner. They will expect the Rooneys to be good stewards of their investment, but will not be making any claims to 'become part of the process.' These new investors will stay in the background unless the 'Steeler way' becomes unsuccessful. That's my 2 cents worth.

From a marketing standpoint there would be some interesting tie ins for creative merchandising:

1. You could have Steeler stuff prominantly for sale at all Pilot locations--300+. Truely make it a Steeler nation.
2. Legend films could film all moving in and around Heinz field and use Steelers as extras in the off season

Eddie Spaghetti
12-18-2008, 05:50 PM
fwiw, i am from knoxville and know a little about haslam. he is the power broker at UT, but he has always stayed behind the scenes unlike bobby lowder at auburn. i was surprised and happy to hear that he is involved. he knows enough to steer clear and not screw up a good thing.

that said, i still wanted druckenmiller because of the debt aspect, but am now cautiously optimistic.

papillon
12-18-2008, 07:14 PM

The Steelers are a patient organization when things aren't going well. Will the new investors be able to show restraint and remain in the background if the Steelers post a losing season or two? Remember the 80s? It's all roses right now, because, the Steelers won a Superbowl in 2005, were 10-6 last year and are 11-3 this year and playing at a high level. What will happen if a couple losing seasons happen?

It's easy to spend your 35 million when it's all good.

Pappy

papillon
12-18-2008, 07:16 PM
fwiw, i am from knoxville and know a little about haslam. he is the power broker at UT, but he has always stayed behind the scenes unlike bobby lowder at auburn. i was surprised and happy to hear that he is involved. he knows enough to steer clear and not screw up a good thing.

that said, i still wanted druckenmiller because of the debt aspect, but am now cautiously optimistic.

This is good to hear that Haslam may be able to spend the money and let Dan and Art do their thing.

The marketing that opportunities that Oviedo mentioned could be a good thing as well from a revenue standpoint.

Pappy

pfelix73
12-18-2008, 09:32 PM
Pappy-

Just how can someone or some thing (entity) that doesn't have a percentage of the team have any say so in what happens on a daily basis?

ALSO- I am sure there are legally binding contracts that will say specifically what their roles are. Kind of like an employment contract. We have them drawn up at my business, so I know they exist. In ours, I have sole discretion to do certain things. Those 'things' would include audits, hiring, firing, hiring accountants, hiring attorneys, opening accounts with vendors, banking, etc etc. just to name some. Mostly those day-to- day things a business needs to do. My partner is a 'silent partner' and does not have that in his contract he signed. He's paid a % out of any profits the company may have at the end of the year. Same will go for these 'investors' and these investors will NOT have any percentage of the company. (As far as I know) Some of McGinley shares are not accounted for by the media.

I just wouldn't worry too much about those other investors. Because that's all they are.

papillon
12-18-2008, 11:57 PM
Pappy-

Just how can someone or some thing (entity) that doesn't have a percentage of the team have any say so in what happens on a daily basis?

ALSO- I am sure there are legally binding contracts that will say specifically what their roles are. Kind of like an employment contract. We have them drawn up at my business, so I know they exist. In ours, I have sole discretion to do certain things. Those 'things' would include audits, hiring, firing, hiring accountants, hiring attorneys, opening accounts with vendors, banking, etc etc. just to name some. Mostly those day-to- day things a business needs to do. My partner is a 'silent partner' and does not have that in his contract he signed. He's paid a % out of any profits the company may have at the end of the year. Same will go for these 'investors' and these investors will NOT have any percentage of the company. (As far as I know) Some of McGinley shares are not accounted for by the media.

I just wouldn't worry too much about those other investors. Because that's all they are.

I don't have the answers to your question as to how they would have a say if they don't own a percentage of the team. My question would be why would you invest 35 million or more in a football team and relinquish all control to someone else? I hope you're right and all 3 of these guys ponied up cash and are willing to no ownership and no say in what goes on within the organization. There have to be better ways for these men to "invest" money which is basically what they are doing.

I know they're fans and all, but, so was Druckenmiller until he realized that owning the Steelers may take him away from what he loves more than the Steelers and that was money. I'm always skeptical of anyone who puts up that kind of scratch and doesn't want anything to do with the product.

I hope you're right

Pappy

pfelix73
12-19-2008, 10:28 AM
Although I am not 100% sure on it and it's purely just a guess, these investors are probably getting a good rate of return on their money. If they are getting 6%, 7%, or even higher, that's a lot better than investing on wall street right about now....

papillon
12-19-2008, 01:02 PM
Although I am not 100% sure on it and it's purely just a guess, these investors are probably getting a good rate of return on their money. If they are getting 6%, 7%, or even higher, that's a lot better than investing on wall street right about now....

That would mean that the Steelers organization is basically floating bonds to guarantee a return of 5, 6 or 7 percent. Bonds are debt instruments and the Steelers assuming more debt is never a good thing.

I'm sure there are financial wizards much smarter than me involved in this deal and certainly hope that the Steelers will be able continue operating as they always have. We shall see, we shall see...

Pappy

NorthCoast
12-19-2008, 01:22 PM

Pappy

Disagree...the cliche 'you can't argue with success' applies in spades here. How does one increase the value of a football franchise?? You win!! Which the Rooneys seemed to have figured out pretty nicely by themselves. If these men were truly smart investors, you do a Warren Buffet and leave the managing of the business to those that know the business. The fact that Tull did not wish to steal the limelight from Rooneys anouncement tells me alot about how he may approach his stake. I would also believe these particular investors were selected because they agreed to a lengthy contract with plenty of stipulations on their team ownership and limitations.

Not worried at all about this.

papillon
12-19-2008, 01:56 PM

Pappy

Disagree...the cliche 'you can't argue with success' applies in spades here. How does one increase the value of a football franchise?? You win!! Which the Rooneys seemed to have figured out pretty nicely by themselves. If these men were truly smart investors, you do a Warren Buffet and leave the managing of the business to those that know the business. The fact that Tull did not wish to steal the limelight from Rooneys anouncement tells me alot about how he may approach his stake. I would also believe these particular investors were selected because they agreed to a lengthy contract with plenty of stipulations on their team ownership and limitations.

Not worried at all about this.

You're not the only one that believes it's all good. I am skeptical when people invest the kind of money we're talking about here. If they are guaranteed 5% lets say, that means that the Steelers have to pay these investors 5% of their investment every year. If there's only three of them and they've each invested 190 million (about 570 million total) that's 28.5 million in serviceable debt per year.

If they invested and aren't looking for guaranteed money, then the only their investment pays off is if they sell their shares for more than they paid. I doubt any of these men wanted good tickets to Steeler games so badly that they would pony up the money under that scenario. The owners have to okay the sale and you have to find a buyer with the financial capability, not easy tasks as we're seeing right now.

There were 17 investors mentioned the other day. Are they down to 3 now? It's all rather nebulous at this point, but, what's done is done. I hope it's good for the franchise.

Pappy