PDA

View Full Version : PRO BOWL VOTE PROVES TOMLINíS VALUE TO STEELERS

NKySteeler
12-17-2008, 09:38 PM
Posted by Mike Florio on December 16, 2008

Steeler Nation currently is up in arms regarding the fact that only three members of the team ó James Harrison, James Farrior, and Troy Polamalu ó won a spot on the the AFC Pro Bowl roster, with only two of them (Harrison and Polamalu) named as starters.

But letís be objective. Look at the full roster, and ask yourself if the Steelersí starters at the other positions are better than the guys who made it.

Running back Willie Parker has been too banged up, and quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has spent too much time running for his life. The offensive line has more holes than Andy Reidís donut stash. Receiver Hines Ward doesnít have the numbers, and receiver Santonio Holmes hasnít exactly put together a breakout year in that supposedly critical third season for a wideout.

On defense, the cornerbacks are good but not close to the three who made it (Asomugha, Finnegan, Revis), and the defensive line has no dominant presence that can overcome the stats-suppressing 3-4 system.

The only guy with a real beef is linebacker LaMarr Woodley, who should have made it over Suggs. Even then, however, itís a close call.

In our view, the entire exercise draws into clear focus the value of second-year coach Mike Tomlin to the Steelers. With a lineup not stocked with the best players in the league, Tomlin has led his team capably through one of the toughest schedules in NFL history.

The fact that the Steelers stand on the brink of swiping the No. 1 seed in the AFC playoffs from the Titans underscores the brilliance of Tomlinís work.

And so the real snub that should send Steelers fans en masse toward 280 Park Avenue with pitchforks and torches would be a Coach of the Year designation that goes to anyone other than Tomlin.

For more on the Steelersí incredible season and Tomlinís responsibility for it, we give you a little PFTV.

[youtube:jsapd73o]zWYFZ2DEEEU&hl[/youtube:jsapd73o]

agdci981
12-17-2008, 10:45 PM
Well I already know I am going to come off as a :Hater BUT I wouldn't necesarily say that the Pro Bowl voting proves Tomlin's worth. Pro Bowl is alot of popularity and this whole defense could have made it if it was based on actual play and not the name on the back of the jersey. The offense has been bad and has only declined under Tomlin as opposed to Cowher. I would say that with an offensive minded coach we may have a player or two on the offensive side of the ball going as well as the 3 on the defensive side.

anjang86
12-18-2008, 12:53 PM
Posted by Mike Florio on December 16, 2008

Steeler Nation currently is up in arms regarding the fact that only three members of the team ó James Harrison, James Farrior, and Troy Polamalu ó won a spot on the the AFC Pro Bowl roster, with only two of them (Harrison and Polamalu) named as starters.

But letís be objective. Look at the full roster, and ask yourself if the Steelersí starters at the other positions are better than the guys who made it.

Running back Willie Parker has been too banged up, and quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has spent too much time running for his life. The offensive line has more holes than Andy Reidís donut stash. Receiver Hines Ward doesnít have the numbers, and receiver Santonio Holmes hasnít exactly put together a breakout year in that supposedly critical third season for a wideout.

On defense, the cornerbacks are good but not close to the three who made it (Asomugha, Finnegan, Revis), and the defensive line has no dominant presence that can overcome the stats-suppressing 3-4 system.

The only guy with a real beef is linebacker LaMarr Woodley, who should have made it over Suggs. Even then, however, itís a close call.

In our view, the entire exercise draws into clear focus the value of second-year coach Mike Tomlin to the Steelers. With a lineup not stocked with the best players in the league, Tomlin has led his team capably through one of the toughest schedules in NFL history.

The fact that the Steelers stand on the brink of swiping the No. 1 seed in the AFC playoffs from the Titans underscores the brilliance of Tomlinís work.

And so the real snub that should send Steelers fans en masse toward 280 Park Avenue with pitchforks and torches would be a Coach of the Year designation that goes to anyone other than Tomlin.

You can argue that Tomlin gets the most out of his players, but I don't think using the Probowl example really fits here. Like adgc said, the Probowl doesn't tell me who the superstars in the league are.

Also, you are saying the CBs in the Probowl right now are better than Ike? I beg to differ on that one. Aaron Smith doesn't deserve to go? You could even make an argument for Ben.

Slapstick
12-18-2008, 12:53 PM
Well I already know I am going to come off as a :Hater BUT I wouldn't necesarily say that the Pro Bowl voting proves Tomlin's worth. Pro Bowl is alot of popularity and this whole defense could have made it if it was based on actual play and not the name on the back of the jersey. The offense has been bad and has only declined under Tomlin as opposed to Cowher. I would say that with an offensive minded coach we may have a player or two on the offensive side of the ball going as well as the 3 on the defensive side.

But, would the Steelers be 11-3? That is the most important question...

Let the speculation begin!!

flippy
12-18-2008, 01:13 PM
maybe it says how good everyone on the defense is playing.

no question, we're playing out of this world on D. and the fact that the majority of the team doesn't have standout stats means everyone is contributing at a very high level.

feltdizz
12-18-2008, 03:07 PM

I would.... our D is great.. but it's primarily based on assignment and not on individual play. This is why it's so hard for players to grasp it.

Your assignment is usually a spot on the field and a lot of players just can't grasp that concept. They naturally want to make the play or run to the man... and that causes breakdowns.

Look at the holding stats someone posted. We have the #1 D and for 6 games their opponent has yet to be called for a holding call...
This lets me know the O, while rough, is getting hosed by the refs IMO. Look at the 4th quarter stats on O, 41-0 in the last 6 minutes of games lately.

Our O is decent but the refs IMO and dropped passes!!! are the reason the O looks as bad as they do...

ST is also better... although last game they weren't.