PDA

View Full Version : Do we need to talk about the "bye week curse"?

anjang86
12-16-2008, 09:12 PM
Indy looked flat after their bye week two years ago; Giants beat Dallas last year under the same circumstances.

Not only that, but haven't we had terrible luck with going nowhere when we get that first round bye (not to mention home field advantage).

Does being favored in the playoffs concern anybody else?

SteelerOfDeVille
12-16-2008, 09:22 PM
HFA won't mean favorites... not necessarily.
if we play Indy, they'll be Favs...
If we lose to Tenn this week, they'll be Favs in the rematch.

speaking of which... let's say we win HFA... the playoff seeding would likely look something like this (I'm assuming Dallas beats Balt):

1. Steelers
2. Colts
3. Pats
4. Broncos
WildCard
5. Titans
6. Jets

1st round gme would be Pats v Jets and Broncos v Titans

2nd round teams would likely be Steelers v Titans and Colts v Pats. That could be ugly.

OTOH, if we end up with the 2 seed (i.e., Titans win) then, we'd have to play the Colts in our 1st game (I don't believe the Donkeys would beat them).

I really don't like either potential 1st round matchup.

Starlifter
12-16-2008, 09:31 PM
I don't think the titans can finish worse than the #2 seed. the good news is, neither can we...... :Cheers

SteelerOfDeVille
12-16-2008, 09:34 PM
I don't think the titans can finish worse than the #2 seed. the good news is, neither can we...... :Cheers
i heard the opposite from someone in my office - he could be wrong, though.

His take was that if we beat Tenn and Indy beat us, Indy would steal the tiebreaker of "common opponents" .

anjang86
12-16-2008, 09:54 PM

His take was that if we beat Tenn and Indy beat us, Indy would steal the tiebreaker of "common opponents" .

Tennessee has already won the AFC South. Indy can't do anything but a wild card now. We could lose the last two games while Indy finishes with a better record but we'd still get the bye week since we won our division.

In other words, you could have the second best (or best) record in the AFC but still have to play in the first round if you aren't a division winner.

SteelerOfDeVille
12-16-2008, 10:01 PM

Tennessee has already won the AFC South. Indy can't do anything but a wild card now. We could lose the last two games while Indy finishes with a better record but we'd still get the bye week since we won our division.

In other words, you could have the second best (or best) record in the AFC but still have to play in the first round if you aren't a division winner.
the guy said not us falling... our bye is secure... he said indy could tie tenn (with 2 tenn losses) and indy could win the division...

i believe he was wrong though.

anjang86
12-16-2008, 10:04 PM

the guy said not us falling... our bye is secure... he said indy could tie tenn (with 2 tenn losses) and indy could win the division...

He may be wrong. Even if Indy ties Tenn, they would still lose the division since Tenn swept Indy.

NorCal-Steeler
12-16-2008, 11:00 PM
The Bye week usaly throws off the timing of the offense , however ours blows so it can only help.

SidSmythe
12-16-2008, 11:05 PM
The Bye week usaly throws off the timing of the offense , however ours blows so it can only help.

LoL

SteelerOfDeVille
12-17-2008, 12:49 AM

He may be wrong. Even if Indy ties Tenn, they would still lose the division since Tenn swept Indy.
but, they didn't. they play in week 17... so, indy would move into both a tie for the overall record, as well as for the division. it would then come down to common opponents. ok, that's enough to make me look it up.

so far, titans have lost to texans and jets.... if they lost to us and indy, that would be their 4 losses (tying them with the colts.)

of the 3 games not against one another, texans, steelers would be common opponents.

the colts have lost to bears, jags, packers, titans... of those - bears, jags, packers are common opponents...

3 losses to common opponents for colts - only 2 for the titans (the jets were not a common opponent).

titans HAVE locked up the divsion.

Mel Blount's G
12-17-2008, 04:57 AM
I do believe in the "can't beat a team twice" stat/myth. Therefore I would like to play indy come playoffs and would rather lose to the titans now and then beat them in the playoffs (if that's what it takes). Plus I don't want any starters to go down just for the sake of going after hfa. I don't see home field meaning much to us. It didn't last year in the Apology Bowl or in our last sb run and 2 of our 3 losses this year have come at home. I'm leaning toward not wanting the bye week if we are pretty much healthy. Sure the extra week to heal the bumps and bruises is nice but I think the risk of losing the momentum you may take into the post season is legitimate.