PDA

View Full Version : Three Steelers make Pro Bowl

RussBII
12-16-2008, 05:09 PM
http://www.nfl.com/probowl/story?id=09000d5d80d60467&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Steelers that made it:

Starters: Troy and James Harrison

Reserve: Farrior

SteelBucks
12-16-2008, 05:10 PM
I'm kind of surprised Aaron Smith wasn't selected...........

Three Steelers Selected to the 2009 Pro Bowl Squad

Three players from the Pittsburgh Steelers’ league-leading defense have been selected to the 2009 AFC Pro Bowl team announced today by the NFL.

Steelers earning Pro Bowl recognition include inside linebacker James Farrior, outside linebacker James Harrison and strong safety Troy Polamalu. Harrison and Polamalu have been named starters to the AFC Pro Bowl team.

This season marks the eighth straight year that three or more Steelers players have been selected to the NFL’s annual All-Star game. The Pro Bowl will be played Sunday, Feb. 8, 2009, at Aloha Stadium in Honolulu, Hawaii.

The Pro Bowl squads were selected by a combined voting of fans, players and coaches.

Harrison, a two-year starter for the Steelers, earned his second consecutive trip to the Pro Bowl as a starter for the AFC squad. He has already tied team records with 15 sacks and seven forced fumbles, and was voted AFC Defensive Player of the Week for Week 11. That week, Harrison registered a sack and forced a fumble that resulted in a safety and also intercepted a pass, which he returned 33 yards. He ranks third on the team with 93 tackles (68 solo) and leads all Steelers with 33 quarterback pressures. The Steelers’ 2007 team MVP, Harrison registered 2.5 sacks and forced a fumble in a Week 4 Monday Night matchup against the AFC North rival Baltimore Ravens, and registered two sacks and two forced fumbles in Week 13 at New England.

Polamalu, who is widely considered the NFL’s premiere strong safety, earned his fifth straight trip to the Pro Bowl and his third as a starter (2006, 2007). A five-year NFL starter, this year’s selection ties Polamalu with Donnie Shell for the most Pro Bowl appearances by a Steelers strong safety. Polamalu currently leads the NFL with a career-high seven interceptions, ranks third on the Steelers with 10 passes defensed, and ranks fourth on the team with 75 tackles.

Farrior will make his second Pro Bowl appearance, both as a Steeler, and his first since the 2005 Pro Bowl, when he received All-Pro honors and finished second in voting for NFL Defensive Player of the Year. Farrior currently leads the Steelers with 127 tackles (86 solo), putting him on schedule to finish as the team leader for the fifth time in seven seasons with the Steelers (2003, ‘04, ‘06, ‘07). Currently in his fifth consecutive season as the Steelers’ defensive captain, Farrior has also recorded 3.5 sacks and recovered one fumble.

Pro Bowl Notes: The Steelers will send a linebacker to the Pro Bowl for the seventh time in the past nine seasons and for the 15th time in the past 19 years…The Steelers are sending multiple players to the Pro Bowl for the eighth straight season and the 17th time in the last 20 seasons…This year ends a streak of seven consecutive years (2001 Pro Bowl) that the Steelers have had at least one offensive player make the Pro Bowl.

costanza2k1
12-16-2008, 05:10 PM
2009 Pro Bowl rosters

NFL.com
NFC
Offense
Pos. Starter(s) Reserves
Quarterback Kurt Warner, Arizona Drew Brees, New Orleans
Eli Manning, New York Giants

Running back Adrian Peterson, Minnesota Michael Turner, Atlanta
Clinton Portis, Washington

Fullback Mike Sellers, Washington

Wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald, Arizona
Anquan Boldin, Arizona Steve Smith, Carolina
Roddy White, Atlanta

Tight end Jason Witten, Dallas Chris Cooley, Washington
Tackle Jordan Gross, Carolina
Walter Jones, Seattle Chris Samuels, Washington

Guard Steve Hutchinson, Minnesota
Chris Snee, New York Giants Leonard Davis, Dallas

Center Andre Gurode, Dallas Shaun O'Hara, New York Giants

Defense
Pos. Starter(s) Reserves
Defensive end Julius Peppers, Carolina
Justin Tuck, New York Giants Jared Allen,

Defensive tackle Kevin Williams, Minnesota
Jay Ratliff, Dallas Pat Williams, Minnesota

Outside linebacker DeMarcus Ware, Dallas
Lance Briggs, Chicago Derrick Brooks, Tampa Bay

Inside linebacker Patrick Willis, San Francisco Jon Beason, Carolina

Cornerback Charles Woodson, Green Bay
Antoine Winfield, Minnesota Asante Samuel, Philadelphia

Free safety Nick Collins, Green Bay Brian Dawkins, Philadelphia

Strong safety Adrian Wilson, Arizona

Special teams
Pos. Starter(s) Reserves
Punter Jeff Feagles, New York Giants

Placekicker John Carney, New York Giants

Kick returner Clifton Smith, Tampa Bay

Special teamer Sean Morey, Arizona

AFC
Offense
Pos. Starter(s) Reserves
Quarterback Peyton Manning, Indianapolis Brett Favre, New York Jets
Jay Cutler, Denver

Running back Thomas Jones, New York Jets Chris Johnson, Tennessee
Ronnie Brown, Miami

Fullback Le'Ron McClain, Baltimore

Wide receiver Andre Johnson, Houston
Brandon Marshall, Denver Reggie Wayne, Indianapolis
Wes Welker, New England

Tight end Tony Gonzalez, Kansas City Antonio Gates, San Diego

Tackle Joe Thomas, Cleveland
Jason Peters, Buffalo Michael Roos, Tennessee

Guard Alan Faneca, New York Jets
Kris Dielman, San Diego Brian Waters, Kansas City

Center Kevin Mawae, Tennessee Nick Mangold, New York Jets

Defense
Pos. Starter(s) Reserves
Defensive end Mario Williams, Houston
Dwight Freeney, Indianapolis Robert Mathis, Indianapolis

Defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth, Tennessee
Kris Jenkins, New York Jets Shaun Rogers, Cleveland

Outside linebacker James Harrison, Pittsburgh
Joey Porter, Miami Terrell Suggs, Baltimore

Inside linebacker Ray Lewis, Baltimore James Farrior, Pittsburgh

Cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha, Oakland
Cortland Finnegan, Tennessee Darrelle Revis, New York Jets

Free safety Ed Reed, Baltimore

Strong safety Troy Polamalu, Pittsburgh Chris Hope, Tennessee

Special teams
Pos. Starter(s) Reserves
Punter Shane Lechler, Oakland

Placekicker Stephen Gostkowski, New England

Kick returner Leon Washington, New York Jets

Special teamer Brendon Ayanbadejo, Baltimore

RussBII
12-16-2008, 05:11 PM
Hah, my thread was first! By one minute.

SteelBucks
12-16-2008, 05:14 PM
http://www.nfl.com/probowl/story?id=09000d5d80d60467&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Steelers that made it:

Starters: Troy and James Harrison

Reserve: Farrior

Beat me by a minute! :moon :wink:

costanza2k1
12-16-2008, 05:14 PM

***Mod Note***

Merged 3 dup topics-RussBII is too fast.

RussBII
12-16-2008, 05:16 PM

***Mod Note***

Merged 3 dup topics-RussBII is too fast.

A common complaint...

... in bed!!!

(sadness)

Steeler Shades
12-16-2008, 05:19 PM
Hard to believe that no one from the offense was selected. 8)

RuthlessBurgher
12-16-2008, 05:20 PM
I hope this leads to guys like LaMarr Woodley, Aaron Smith, Ike Taylor, and Ryan Clark being ticked off at being excluded, and taking their frustrations out on the Titans this weekend.

SteelerNation1
12-16-2008, 05:21 PM
What a joke. 3? F'in 3? Where's Smith, Woodley, Ike, Reed??? Pathetic. Slap in the face.

SidSmythe
12-16-2008, 05:21 PM
Did Mahan make it for the NFC???

costanza2k1
12-16-2008, 05:22 PM
What a joke. 3? F'in 3? Where's Smith, Woodley, Ike, Reed??? Pathetic. Slap in the face.

I expected a large portion of our D to be in there. Aaron Smith not being there is just lame!!! :HeadBanger

Steelhere10
12-16-2008, 05:29 PM
Troy, James Harrison and Farrior

Steelhere10
12-16-2008, 05:29 PM
that's what you call BS.

Ozey74
12-16-2008, 05:33 PM
What a sham!! This is not good news for the Titans & the rest of the AFC. Our D will now have a chip on their shoulder come Sunday.

:x

Jom112
12-16-2008, 05:37 PM
Cribbs should have made it over Ayanbadejo. Apart from the returns he is in on almost every ST tackle for Cleveland.

Joe Thomas shouldn't be the starting LT. He has struggled this season, I just don't think anyone noticed until Trent Cole beat him multiple times on MNF last night.

I can also buy having Aaron Smith over Dwight Freeney. Mathias has had a pro bowl year but I think Smith has done better than Freeney this season...

anjang86
12-16-2008, 05:40 PM
Look how many Redskins made it... I think about 11? That should tell you something about the Probowl this year.

SteelBucks
12-16-2008, 05:45 PM

Yep, Skippy's been money!

costanza2k1
12-16-2008, 05:45 PM
Troy, James Harrison and Farrior

***MOD NOTE***

Dup topics merged.

Jom112
12-16-2008, 05:47 PM

Woodley had a great season but better than Harrison, Porter or Suggs? If Woodley didn't miss time due to injury (As minimal as it was) he might have edged out Suggs, but even then it would have been close. I think they got it right when it came to OLB's.

Aaaron Smith should have made it.

Stone hands Ike, maybe over Revis.

Ryan Clark (Even though you didn't bring it up), wasn't going to make it over the 3 selected in Troy, Ed Reed or Chris Hope.

As for Reed, he's a kicker. I actually thought Rob Bironas should have made it...

SteelTorch
12-16-2008, 05:57 PM
Big Ben, sadly, I can agree on not making the Pro Bowl. But it's a travesty Chad Pennington didn't make it. He's been one of the most consistent, reliable, and productive QB's this season. He's one of the main reasons they've won 7 games already, and yet still remains woefully underrated. :Hater

Jom112
12-16-2008, 06:01 PM
Big Ben, sadly, I can agree on not making the Pro Bowl. But it's a travesty Chad Pennington didn't make it. He's been one of the most consistent, reliable, and productive QB's this season. He's one of the main reasons they've won 7 games already, and yet still remains woefully underrated. :Hater

Couldn't agree more. I hope Pennington and the Fin's upset the Jets and kick them out of the playoffs. That would be sweet revenge.

BTW, anyone else notice that Jon Beason made the Pro Bowl? :stirpot :stirpot :stirpot

Look how many Redskins made it... I think about 11? That should tell you something about the Probowl this year.

I saw 4 and all of them you can make a case for.

Portis deserves it, only thing that stopped him this season is Zorn. Chris Samuels is a lock every year. Cooley you can make a case for. Sellers is not bad either, not sure what FB's are still good in the NFC these days...

skyhawk
12-16-2008, 07:17 PM
If there was a team like the Cowboys, Giants, or even the Ravens that lead the league defense I can GUARANTEE there would be more than three members selected to the pro bowl.

pittpete
12-16-2008, 07:43 PM
7 friggin Jets made it including Favre
What a joke

steeld95
12-16-2008, 07:50 PM
Ike deserves. He has become one of the top pure cover guys in the league....yeah, he doesn't have hands, but that is why he is a db.

He is one of the more under appreciated players around the league. He has shut down some good WR's this year. You don't hear his name mentioned that much....which is a good thing for a DB

anjang86
12-16-2008, 09:17 PM

Portis deserves it, only thing that stopped him this season is Zorn. Chris Samuels is a lock every year. Cooley you can make a case for. Sellers is not bad either, not sure what FB's are still good in the NFC these days...

You're right. I heard 11 on the radio two nights ago but I guess that was all speculation. They were talking about how the Redskins had a "vote a Redskin in the probowl" day or something which pretty much invalidated the results.

I'm not sure Samuels should have made it. Hasn't he been hurt most of the year? Portis did infact make it this year. I think the NFC runningbacks are the only group that don't have a question mark next to them: A Peterson, C Portis, and M Turner

phillyesq
12-16-2008, 09:22 PM
I hope this leads to guys like LaMarr Woodley, Aaron Smith, Ike Taylor, and Ryan Clark being ticked off at being excluded, and taking their frustrations out on the Titans this weekend.

I agree. And I hope that continues through the playoffs.

Woodley really deserved it over Suggs, IMO. Suggs has 7.5 sacks. Woodley has 11.5. The rest of their stats are nearly identical.

Despite his lack of INT's, I think that Taylor really deserved it. Especially when you look at how he fared in recent weeks when he all but eliminated the other teams best receivers.

stlrz d
12-16-2008, 09:26 PM

I agree. And I hope that continues through the playoffs.

Woodley really deserved it over Suggs, IMO. Suggs has 7.5 sacks. Woodley has 11.5. The rest of their stats are nearly identical.

Despite his lack of INT's, I think that Taylor really deserved it. Especially when you look at how he fared in recent weeks when he all but eliminated the other teams best receivers.

There you have it.

And agreed with Jom that Cribbs should have made it over Ayamanahole of the Rats.

stlrz d
12-16-2008, 09:27 PM
BTW, here's how nfl.com writers and analysts would have voted:

http://www.nfl.com/probowl/story?id=090 ... nfirm=true (http://www.nfl.com/probowl/story?id=09000d5d80d5a10d&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true)

Djfan
12-16-2008, 09:31 PM
Can't have a probowl with out manning, now can we?

Mick'sTeam
12-16-2008, 09:35 PM
Aaron Smith not making it is an absolute travesty. I wanted him in their just as much as anyone. I really believe he is one of the most underrated and overlooked players in the entire NFL.

DukieBoy
12-16-2008, 09:48 PM
7 Jets?
Darrelle Revis?
Bret Favre?

NorCal-Steeler
12-16-2008, 10:40 PM
As long as Tomlin dont end up coaching it F*CK them all!! :Cheers

mshifko
12-16-2008, 11:14 PM
woodley got the shaft...he should have got in instead of suggs...

aaron smith deserves it but because he's a 3-4 end he won't get the numbers

daddyo
12-17-2008, 10:26 AM
Actually, it's a left-handed but solid compliment to Coach LeBeau that there were so few picked. It's like the fact that Bobby Knight (though I can't stand him personally) could take pride in the fact that he won three national championships and only one of his players amounted to a damn in the NBA. There are maybe two standouts on the Steeler defense. The squad would be mediocre under any other DC.

LeBeau is a god.

NorthCoast
12-17-2008, 10:14 PM
No way was Favre a pro-bowl QB this year, that's the first tip-off of the sham. The biggest problem with the Steelers is that they have so many great players (at least on D) that it is difficult to single out individual play that stands above the rest.

agdci981
12-17-2008, 10:47 PM
Hard to believe that no one from the offense was selected. 8)
[x] Serious case of Camel toe on the UPS girl pic....

ramblinjim
12-17-2008, 10:50 PM

Here, here......go gettem boys! :Cheers

Steeler Shades
12-18-2008, 01:23 AM
Hard to believe that no one from the offense was selected. 8)[x] Serious case of Camel toe on the UPS girl pic....
I hadn't noticed. Of course I only look at the face. 8)

RuthlessBurgher
12-18-2008, 01:51 AM

You're right. I heard 11 on the radio two nights ago but I guess that was all speculation. They were talking about how the Redskins had a "vote a Redskin in the probowl" day or something which pretty much invalidated the results.

I'm not sure Samuels should have made it. Hasn't he been hurt most of the year? Portis did infact make it this year. I think the NFC runningbacks are the only group that don't have a question mark next to them: A Peterson, C Portis, and M Turner

I think the news of the 11 Redskins was when the results of the Fan voting was released, which counts toward 1/3 of the total votes. This was before the players and coaches voted, so that is why not all 11 of those guys are actually headed to Hawaii.

AngryAsian
12-18-2008, 04:54 AM
woodley got the shaft...he should have got in instead of suggs...

aaron smith deserves it but because he's a 3-4 end he won't get the numbers

Woodley had better numbers than Suggs, except he had one less INT than Suggs. A rip off and BS. The JETS with seven going. I hope we play them in the playoffs so we can hand them their butts.

flippy
12-18-2008, 08:41 AM
why complain, we're gonna all be too drunk anyway from celebrating the superbowl victory to even watch the probowl.