PDA

View Full Version : NEWS: Home-field hoo-hah? Steelers might want to stay away

costanza2k1
12-16-2008, 12:07 AM
Dec. 15, 2008
By Clark Judge
CBSSports.com Senior Writer

http://images.sportsline.com/u/photos/football/nfl/img11174003.jpg

The Pittsburgh Steelers know what's ahead of them, and they can't wait to get there. With defeats of Tennessee and Cleveland the next two weeks, the Steelers gain the almighty home-field advantage through the upcoming playoffs.

"It's going to be a dogfight," said wide receiver Nate Washington, "and we're ready for it. The opportunity is out there. We've just got to make it."

Terry Bradshaw and Company parlayed the No. 1 seed, but that was in 1979. (Getty Images)
Terry Bradshaw and Company parlayed the No. 1 seed, but that was in 1979. (Getty Images)
Terrific. Only let me add one note of caution, fellas: Be careful what you wish for.

Everyone in the NFL wants to be home for the playoffs, but there's one AFC team where the home-field factor actually has been a disadvantage ... and you're looking at it.

Four times in the past 16 years, the Steelers had home-field advantage entering the playoffs -- 1992, 1994, 2001 and 2004 -- and four times they failed to make it to the Super Bowl. Three times they lost the conference championship game, and once they were bounced in the divisional round.

Staying home for the playoffs is supposed to be an enormous advantage ... and usually it is ... but not in Pittsburgh. In fact, over their past eight playoff games at home the Steelers are 4-4, with one victory in OT and another where they had to rally from a 17-point second-half deficit.

In 1995 they were the AFC's No. 2 seed but hosted the conference championship game after Indianapolis knocked off top seed Kansas City. The Steelers won, advancing to Super Bowl XXX, where they lost to Dallas.

Two years later, the same thing happened -- with Pittsburgh playing the conference championship game at home after the top-seeded Chiefs bowed out again, this time to Denver. And this time the Broncos prevailed and went on to win the Super Bowl.

It doesn't take an Einstein to figure out what home-field advantage means when it happens to Pittsburgh -- almost nothing. Dating back to 1992, the Steelers are 1-4 in conference championship games at home and 0-4 when they hold home-field advantage entering the playoffs.

That means they haven't been the No. 1 seed and graduated magna cum laude from the AFC playoffs since ... well, since 1979, when Terry Bradshaw was the quarterback, Chuck Noll the coach and the Terrible Towels the rage.

Maybe that's why after Sunday's defeat of Baltimore, quarterback Ben Roethlisberger cautioned teammates not to get too caught up in the implications of next weekend's game at Tennessee. Roethlisberger shrugged when asked about the game, saying "there's no pressure" on the Steelers because they already won their division and clinched a first-round bye.

In Pittsburgh, the bye is more important because, as history tells us, home-field advantage really doesn't work for the Steelers. In fact, it's more like a home-field disadvantage.

But that doesn't make Pittsburgh unique. Of the past 14 clubs that gained home-field advantage entering the AFC playoffs, only four -- or 25 percent -- went on to the Super Bowl.

Yeah, I know, misery loves company and all that. Except here, there are only two AFC teams that, over the past 14 seasons, blew the home-field advantage more than once: One was Pittsburgh (three times); the other was Kansas City (twice).

The Steelers did make it to the Super Bowl in 2005, but they got there by a circuitous route. First, it was a playoff game in Cincinnati. Then, a playoff game in Indianapolis. Finally, they took their act to Denver and won the conference championship game there.

Then they went to Detroit and walked off with Super Bowl XL.

I think you get the idea. When the Steelers are home ... for whatever reason ... they have trouble closing a deal. But when they went on the road in January 2006, they were downright dominant, conquering their three playoff opponents by a combined score of 86-52.

Wide receiver Hines Ward was on that team, and when asked Sunday about the importance of gaining the home-field advantage, he parsed his words carefully -- a sign that he understands there are no guarantees, especially when you're in Pittsburgh.

"We have another big game," he said of this weekend's trip to Tennessee. "We would love to have that No. 1 spot and try to get the easiest path there (to the Super Bowl). But in the AFC I don't think there is any easy way."

He has that right.

Now, I know what you're thinking: So what's the message for the Steelers against Tennessee? Just lose, baby? Of course not. Maybe this year's Steelers can do what others have not and beat the odds at home.

All I'm saying is that if they lose Sunday's game, all is not lost. And maybe, just maybe, that was what Roethlisberger was telling his teammates. The pressure is gone because while you want home-field advantage, maybe you really don't.

Not in Pittsburgh.

"It's not like we have to win," Roethlisberger said. "I mean, we want to win, but we don't have to. I think we can go and play more relaxed and have fun, and I think it will be another great game."

Now that's more like it.

BigBen2112
12-16-2008, 12:12 AM
Home field advantage or non-home field advantage is not the issue...the issue is attitude. If the attitude is right it doesnt matter.

This team is what it is...home or away...and I actually think we might have a better shot at home...maybe not though b/c maybe we are tentative at home.

Its all about attitude.

Flasteel
12-16-2008, 12:35 AM
The bye is what seems to be important. I could give a rat's butt where we play the championship game.

BigBen2112
12-16-2008, 12:45 AM
The bye is what seems to be important. I could give a rat's butt where we play the championship game.

Attitude is what is important...health, attitude, and execution.

Flasteel
12-16-2008, 12:47 AM

Bye = health and rest. It goes without saying that we need to have the right mindset and execution.

pittpete
12-16-2008, 01:01 AM
1 big difference
No Cowher and his Marty ball

buckeyehoppy
12-16-2008, 01:02 AM

Benny, I can really get behind what you are saying here. The Steelers will need all three of these elements more than HFA if they want Lombardi #6.

But part of the attitude is also going for the win this Sunday and next and getting that #1 seed. And, really, the pressure is off. They already have a first round bye irregardless of the outcome of either game. Playing well enough to win is still important.

If the Steelers don't win this Sunday, so be it. It's still nice to have a shot at the #1 seed. But they need to keep up the intensity in the next two games whether they have the #1 seed or not. The bye week is where they can regenerate everything and bring it all together for the Divisional Round.

NKySteeler
12-16-2008, 01:12 AM
I personally don't care whether we play at home or away.... I have the confidence in this squad to get it done.... We know how to win in big games. It's already been proven.... The bye will be well-deserved and much-needed....

skyhawk
12-16-2008, 01:22 AM
1 big difference

Agreed. But is Arians ball any better?

BigBen2112
12-16-2008, 01:34 AM
1 big difference

Agreed. But is Arians ball any better?

No...its worse.

pittpete
12-16-2008, 01:36 AM
Bill played not to lose
Arians, I have no clue, but hes not the HC, just a bad OC that doesnt play to his offenses' strengths :wink:

AngryAsian
12-16-2008, 02:24 AM
The bye is the important factor. We're 6-1 on the road this year, so regardless of whether we have to travel for one of our games, it doesn't matter IMO. This team has faced adversity all year. We're resilient and regardless of whether we're playing well or not, this team has been mentally prepared for every game, so that's why we've been able to make the plays when we've needed them the most. This team is special and I have a feeling that this team will really start kicking it in gear come the post season.

steelnavy
12-16-2008, 02:19 PM
1 big difference

And wasn't Marty HC of the Chiefs at the time?!? :lol:

Apple didn't fall far from the tree...

NC Steeler Fan
12-16-2008, 02:50 PM
Honestly, I know this will sound like heresy, but...

I am one who does not want HFA. I think our fans are
a HUGE distraction for us in a play-off situation.

Hell, I know I would be. I'd be so excited at a home playoff
game, it'd be hard to keep me from charging the field during
a defensive play and tackling someone (getting sent to the ER
shortly thereafter of course!)

Gimmee mean and lean in a hostile environment anyday...